Forum Jump: 

post #661 of 3321 Old 10-22-2006, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyiota View Post

Yeah, It's been happening off and on to me today. Looks like it's just ABC-HD, not the other SD subchannels on channel 24.

YES, thats the same thing I've been noticing. OK, it still sucks but at least now I can stop tinkering with my antenna. It seems a bit better today than it was last week. Its still twitching every 10 seconds or so, but its not as bad of a twitch as it was earlier in the week.

Does anyone have a contact number or email address that we can use to make sure they are aware of this issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 3321 Old 10-23-2006, 01:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbooty View Post

Is anyone else getting any flickering and pixelation on ABC OTA? I have been most of this week and it doesn't seem to be my signal, strength is good. I got a lot of it during Lost, it was almost unwatchable.

The blockiness and pixelation was occuring for me as well, both on Comcast's (Adelphia's) cable feed for ABC HD and also over the air 23.3 (24.5). But as stated previously, not for the analog version of ABC-23

As an FYI this was not a generic ABC-HD thing, but specific to ABC-23. I tuned in WNEP-HD (16.1 / 49.3) for Wilkes-Barre last night while this was occuring, and their ABC-HD feed was perfect.

FYI
post #663 of 3321 Old 10-23-2006, 05:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbooty View Post

YES, thats the same thing I've been noticing. OK, it still sucks but at least now I can stop tinkering with my antenna. It seems a bit better today than it was last week. Its still twitching every 10 seconds or so, but its not as bad of a twitch as it was earlier in the week.

Does anyone have a contact number or email address that we can use to make sure they are aware of this issue?

Here are your contacts at WATM (ABC23)/WWCP (FOX8):
Chief Engineer Dan Owens engr@fox8tv.com
General Manager Frank Quitoni fquitoni@fox8tv.com
Program Manager Ed Cunard ecunard@fox8tv.com

The main phone at the Johnstown HQ is: (814) 266-8088

Additional contact info can be found at http://abc23.com/

Dan and Frank are nice individuals (and I presume Ed is as well, although I do not know him) and generally respond promptly to emails.

Good luck.

ÂOne of the few good things about modern times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us.Â
- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #664 of 3321 Old 10-23-2006, 06:52 AM

I have emailed ABC 23 twice. The first time was about a month ago when I noticed pixelation and sound dropout making watching anything on the channel impossible. The problems seemed to clear up after that until last week. I emailed them again and also emailed Comcast so that they are aware of the problem. As a new HD customer in State College, I am very displeased with these problems on ABC 23 HD. I did not receive a response from ABC 23 from either email I sent. Hoepfully they will get their act together. I am also waiting for FOX HD but if the quality is this poor, it will be another unwatchable HD station from ABC 23/FOX 8.

I emailed the FOX 8/ABC 23 president and engineering dept. and am waiting for a reply.
post #665 of 3321 Old 10-23-2006, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I sent out an e-mail to almost everyone who had an e-mail address at ABC23.

" Hello. I am a subscriber to Comcast and receive the ABC23 HD feed. The feed from your station (Ch. 723 in State College) exhibited freezes, audio dropouts and pixilation every 10 seconds. The problem has been occurring for several months now but it seemed to resolve a few weeks ago only to have the problem return this week. The techs from Comcast assured me that the problem is the feed from the station and had nothing to do with them. I am not alone in this. I am finding more and more people experiencing the same problem through online forums and others in my area (AVS Forum). Viewers receiving the feed OTA have also been experiencing the problem. The setback has become persistent enough to change the channel. I am sure you can understand the frustration.

Also, to a lesser degree of importance, the majority of viewers have expressed their opinion with getting the audio on the local feeds into phase and to stop stretching the video too for non HD programs. It becomes very annoying when it switches to a local commercial and you get blasted with double the decibel level.

I know it sounds like I'm just complaining but the purpose of having an HD feed is having the benefit of quality. I know one of your objectives is to keep the viewers watching your channel so that you can generate revenue through advertisers. I'm afraid that ABC23 is stating to build a reputation of exhibiting low quality and can therefore translate into less viewers and ultimately less revenue. I enjoy most of your programs, but I often find myself switching to NBC-HD programs to watch a show that I can enjoy.

A response to this e-mail is needed and greatly appreciated. I will do my best to pass the message along to others who have been experiencing the same problems. I thank you in advance for your prompt reply. "

Hopefully I made them aware of the problem and get a response...
post #666 of 3321 Old 10-23-2006, 09:14 AM

Is it possible to get the local channels (WPSU, WJAC, WATM) in HD with a regular QAM tuner through Comcast in State College? Or is having their Digital Cable package required?
post #667 of 3321 Old 10-23-2006, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

Is it possible to get the local channels (WPSU, WJAC, WATM) in HD with a regular QAM tuner through Comcast in State College? Or is having their Digital Cable package required?

They are available in unencrypted QAM. Without being in front of that computer I think WJAC-DT is on channel 84, WATM-DT is on 114 and WPSU-DT is on 111.

Someone else may have the right answers in front of them.
post #668 of 3321 Old 10-25-2006, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slykens View Post

They are available in unencrypted QAM. Without being in front of that computer I think WJAC-DT is on channel 84, WATM-DT is on 114 and WPSU-DT is on 111.

Someone else may have the right answers in front of them.

Thanks. I don't need the exact channels at the moment. I was just considering dropping Digital Basic after the football season, and wanted to figure out if it's an option.
post #669 of 3321 Old 10-25-2006, 08:22 PM

WATM looked a lot better tonight. The 'Comdelphia' feed didn't have the bad periodic dropouts although there were a couple hicups.
post #670 of 3321 Old 10-28-2006, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxlidar View Post

WATM looked a lot better tonight. The 'Comdelphia' feed didn't have the bad periodic dropouts although there were a couple hicups.

Yeah, but the audio on the PSU game today is still totally messed up..

Sigh. I wonder if it's better to have no HD, or bad HD.
post #671 of 3321 Old 10-28-2006, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The PSU game is not in HD, so the audio is probably not going to be good. These announcers aren't so hot so I have the volume turned down...lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #672 of 3321 Old 10-28-2006, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Not sure if any of you guys know....but do you think Comcast will have any influence on the CBS and FOX affiliates in getting converted to HD? Every week that goes by I lose more and more patience. We just missed the World Series in HD on FOX. Sitting here watching the Fla.-Ga. football game on CBS it looks like sunny Jacksonville would look great in HD. Not to mention all the NFL games we are missing in HD each week.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #673 of 3321 Old 10-28-2006, 12:52 PM

Quote:

I watched D* Ch 86 (NY WABC) and the audio was still plagued by dropouts -got better in second half.

Fred
post #674 of 3321 Old 10-28-2006, 05:04 PM

It is just so frustrating trying to deal with WATM. They will not respond to any emails and the quality of the HD is horrible. It is so nice when there is a good football game to watch on ESPN HD because it actually looks like it is supposed to look. I am also hoping Comcast will push these channels to broadcast in HD and HD that is watchable without pixelation, etc. With how much cable bills are, hopefully they can provide the quality that is advertised. I too am eagerly waiting for FOX and CBS HD for the NFL but I am not holding my breath.
post #675 of 3321 Old 10-28-2006, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabroni88 View Post

I too am eagerly waiting for FOX and CBS HD for the NFL but I am not holding my breath.

The problem for FOX is that they do not have a HD capable STL and Adelphia (now Comcast) chose not to run fiber to the studio to pick up their HD stream. They could have also worked out a deal to get it from ABB, if they chose to. In this case it would likely be cheaper for Comcast to pony up $30k for a workable STL for FOX then to run fiber or get interconnected with ABB.

As for CBS, the station simply was dragging their feet and now has been purchased by another party with the deal due to close next month. With any kind of luck it might be available before the Superbowl but I'm not very hopeful of it. Besides, we likely won't be watching the Steelers in the playoffs anyway. I wonder how many gunshot wounds to the foot a team can sustain in one season and still be able to play.
post #676 of 3321 Old 10-28-2006, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhschellenberg View Post

I watched D* Ch 86 (NY WABC) and the audio was still plagued by dropouts -got better in second half.

Yeah, that's the not-so-uncommon DTV audio pop thing.. Do you have a HD Tivo? I haven't seen it on the H20 irds. Happens to me on all the 8x channels from time to time. Usually, restarting the HD tivo clears it up.

The problems I was talking about with WATM and ABC OTA were 2 things. First, occasionally the stream will stop, which is evidenced by macroblocking and audio dropouts. The interesting thing is that it seems to happen on both SD content (like the game today) and HD content.

Second, when WATM does carry SD content like today's game on the HD subchannel, their audio encoder puts 90% of the audio on the rear channels. It sounds interesting for about 10 minutes, but then it is just annoying.
post #677 of 3321 Old 10-29-2006, 06:21 AM

Quote:

Yeah, that's the not-so-uncommon DTV audio pop thing.. Do you have a HD Tivo? I haven't seen it on the H20 irds. Happens to me on all the 8x channels from time to time. Usually, restarting the HD tivo clears it up.

The problems I was talking about with WATM and ABC OTA were 2 things. First, occasionally the stream will stop, which is evidenced by macroblocking and audio dropouts. The interesting thing is that it seems to happen on both SD content (like the game today) and HD content.

Second, when WATM does carry SD content like today's game on the HD subchannel, their audio encoder puts 90% of the audio on the rear channels. It sounds interesting for about 10 minutes, but then it is just annoying.

I am using a Hughes HTL-HD Rx (no TIVO) and am experiencing audio 5.1 dropout (video is OK) on ESPN-HD and ABC-HD-Ch 86 from time to time. I found it interesting that it was a problem on the pseudo-HD Ch 73 ESPN-HD broadcast yesterday, but was OK on the Ch 72 ESPN2-HD broadcast at the same time. BTW the PSU game on Ch 86 eventually cleared up on it's own.

I live in Windber (near Johnstown) so I am not able to receive the WATM-HD-WWCP-SD combo that you receive - I get mine from the Laurel Ridge - Jennerstown site (WWCP-SD-8.1 and WATM-SD-8.2) and have experienced no problems other than inconsistent signal strength.

Fred
post #678 of 3321 Old 11-06-2006, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

The NBA Basketball game on INHD is blacked out tonight and it was on Saturday too. Anyone know why?

post #679 of 3321 Old 11-08-2006, 02:49 PM

a little off topic but has anyone been able to signup for comcast.com online bill pay? It doesn't work for me.

On topic, any one excited about Star Wars in HD on Cinemax this month?
post #680 of 3321 Old 11-09-2006, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah, had same problem trying to sign up for Comcast online. So I mailed in a check. I had been using bill pay online for Adelphia but only realized that they had not been charging my credit card the past few months (during the final transition) when my first bill from Comcast was around $400
And yes, I am planning to call Comcast and see about switching to Cinemax as my premium soon.

post #681 of 3321 Old 11-09-2006, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferadam View Post

And yes, I am planning to call Comcast and see about switching to Cinemax as my premium soon.

I received an offer in the mail for Cinemax+HBO for $13/mo for a year. This would cover Star Wars and Sopranos for me. I would ask if such an offer is available to you.

Does anyone else have big trouble with their cable modem since the transition? With Adelphia the cable modem worked fine with very little jitter and available bandwidth was as advertised. Since Comcast took over jitter is outrageous (can't ping first hop so second hop pings from 100-450 ms, 200+ average) and I'm lucky to break dialup speeds downstream but upstream is great, 500+ kbps. The jitter fooks up Vonage like you wouldn't believe, even my Cingular phone works and sounds better, and that's difficult to believe.

I've contacted Comcast several times to fix it and had a tech out but I think they've given up as the tech blew off an appointment last week. I tried to go to DSL but Verizon claims they can't install it, even though I had it a few years ago. GRR! I think I'm going to call again tonight and complain that the problem hasn't been resolved.
post #682 of 3321 Old 11-09-2006, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferadam View Post

The NBA Basketball game on INHD is blacked out tonight and it was on Saturday too. Anyone know why?

The reason is we do not have NBA TV on our system. If we had the NBA TV channel, we would get those games.
post #683 of 3321 Old 11-09-2006, 07:33 PM

Quote:

I've contacted Comcast several times to fix it and had a tech out but I think they've given up as the tech blew off an appointment last week. I tried to go to DSL but Verizon claims they can't install it, even though I had it a few years ago. GRR! I think I'm going to call again tonight and complain that the problem hasn't been resolved.

I've had a cable modem for a couple weeks. No problems.. solid all the way.

You might not want DSL right now. VZ has been having some latency and jitter problems since the students came back. VZ sent a tech out because the 1st level support people didn't have any other options in their script for my problem. Of course, the problem was not at my house, but hey... That's why I bought a cable modem.

To turn this back to TV, the VZ tech told me he wasn't aware of any plans in the next 6-12 months for VZ to install FiOS in this area..
post #684 of 3321 Old 11-10-2006, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You might not want DSL right now. VZ has been having some latency and jitter problems since the students came back. VZ sent a tech out because the 1st level support people didn't have any other options in their script for my problem. Of course, the problem was not at my house, but hey... That's why I bought a cable modem.

Just to go off topic for a moment...

Part of my regular job is running an international voice and data network. If I allowed jitter and latency problems on my network to reach even 1/10th of what I see from Comcast I would expect my boss to fire me. I suppose when one pays $40/mo it is unreasonable to expect QUALITY bandwidth. But at what point does it become reasonable to expect the product to be usable. The really frustrating part is that everyone else I talk to tells me their's works great, better than ever. I know Comcast fooked something up during the transition but they seem more confused than anybody about how to go about fixing it.

I tried to hit the tower on Purdue that the ISP I am partnered in has but I think I'm obstructed by trees/houses on the hill in Clover Highlands. Next step is to try to shoot directly into downtown and see if it will work. Radio Mobile estimates a -60 dBm or so connection, I just have to be careful of the noise floor in the 900 MHz ISM band. (We're running 802.11 OFDM at 900 MHz for some areas. Very fast for a non-line-of-sight solution)
post #685 of 3321 Old 11-10-2006, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanPSUpa View Post

The reason is we do not have NBA TV on our system. If we had the NBA TV channel, we would get those games.

Thanks, that really sort of sucks when you think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slykens View Post

Does anyone else have big trouble with their cable modem since the transition?

I have noticed that my internet seems a little slower a few times since the transition. But nothing major. I don't use Vonage so I am not so sensitive to it.

The flyer I got from Comcast talked about HD on demand. I can't seem to find any HD material in the VOD menu, so I assume it still hasn't been implemented here. Anyone have any news on when it might happen? I may give Comcast a call today about it if no one knows.

post #686 of 3321 Old 11-11-2006, 10:14 PM

Quote:

Just to go off topic for a moment...
The really frustrating part is that everyone else I talk to tells me their's works great, better than ever. I know Comcast fooked something up during the transition but they seem more confused than anybody about how to go about fixing it.

As I said, I'm a new connection. It took all of about 5 minutes for the whole install, including the walk through the 'walled garden' signup process. The biggest problem we had was that the tech had to terminate the cable in from the pole, since I didn't actually have any other Comdelphia services. It may be a red herring, or they may be terminating new customers on a different CMTS, different address space, etc..

Given the business model, it's unreasonable to expect the same level of performance from a CM/DSL connection as one would get from a dedicated circuit. Aside from the level of oversubscription, I doubt comcast/VZ would honor any DSCP marks you set on your packets, or give you any TOS guarantees. Unless, of course, you're a content provider and you're willing to pay big bucks to kill 'net neutrality.

Quote:

I tried to hit the tower on Purdue that the ISP I am partnered in has but I think I'm obstructed by trees/houses on the hill in Clover Highlands. Next step is to try to shoot directly into downtown and see if it will work. Radio Mobile estimates a -60 dBm or so connection, I just have to be careful of the noise floor in the 900 MHz ISM band. (We're running 802.11 OFDM at 900 MHz for some areas. Very fast
for a non-line-of-sight solution)

Well, at least Corning isn't running their furnace any more. When I used to run our 900mhz radios, there was a whole area of town we couldn't have in our backgrounds because Corning's furnace was a major noise source.
post #687 of 3321 Old 11-12-2006, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

As I said, I'm a new connection. It took all of about 5 minutes for the whole install, including the walk through the 'walled garden' signup process.

Given the business model, it's unreasonable to expect the same level of performance from a CM/DSL connection as one would get from a dedicated circuit.

So you're new since the transition? I've been thinking over the weekend I would take the modem back Monday morning and terminate the service then go in on Tuesday and get a new kit hoping that the new provisioning solves the problem. I've had other customers bring their cable modem by my house to rule out node/drop/wiring and they work fine. It is extremely frustrating.

As to QoS and level of service, I certainly don't expect what I do at work where we pay an arm and a leg for internet but I do expect to not have service degraded. If it never worked right with Adelphia I wouldn't know any better.

Quote:

Well, at least Corning isn't running their furnace any more. When I used to run our 900mhz radios, there was a whole area of town we couldn't have in our backgrounds because Corning's furnace was a major noise source.

This is my first experience with 900 MHz in a wide area setup. It is much noisier than 5.8 GHz (by 15 to 20 dB in some areas) but the NLOS properties are spectacular. Since we've just started working with it we haven't yet run into any terrible interference other than being desensed in a colocated facility by a wireless carrier. Moving the antenna solved that problem easily enough.
post #688 of 3321 Old 11-13-2006, 05:34 PM

I was just at Mike's Appliance store in State College picking out a washing machine and refrigerator and I was informed by the salesman in the AV department that according to his source at Comcast we should expect to have FOX HD and CBS HD by the first of the year. Not sure if this is a line the salesman is using to get people to buy TV's (although he knew I already had one) or if his source at Comcast is a user of hallucinogenic mushrooms, but hopefully there is reason to be optimistic.
post #689 of 3321 Old 11-15-2006, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adman35 View Post

I was just at Mike's Appliance store in State College picking out a washing machine and refrigerator and I was informed by the salesman in the AV department that according to his source at Comcast we should expect to have FOX HD and CBS HD by the first of the year. Not sure if this is a line the salesman is using to get people to buy TV's (although he knew I already had one) or if his source at Comcast is a user of hallucinogenic mushrooms, but hopefully there is reason to be optimistic.

It's important to have goals. It makes it easier to define failure.

I suppose FOX is plausable, since that's likely cabling and within comdelphia's control.
Unless they're going to import CBS-HD from another market, I don't see how WTAJ will be in HD by the end of the year.

I look forward to being surprised.
post #690 of 3321 Old 11-15-2006, 08:26 PM

Quote:

So you're new since the transition?

Yeah.

I went looking for a cable modem when VZ's service went south in mid september.
I was held up a week because "things are so bad with the transition right now that we're not taking new orders."
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page