Johnstown, PA - HDTV - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 3321 Old 12-08-2006, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ever since I rented that HD On Demand movie, I can't get into On Demand using the Moto 6412 box. It locks up everytime. All three times I had to unplug the box to get it to respond. Anyone had a similar problem?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3321 Old 12-10-2006, 04:37 AM
Advanced Member

Alright, Moto box seems to be working now.

Only Over the Hedge shows up under the listing of HDTV Movies in the On Demand menu. However, if you view "All Movies" several other titles are available in HD (strangely Over the Hedge isn't listed as HD in that list though):

Akeelah/Bee
American Haunting
Are You Scared
Death Trance
Drop Dead Sexy
Edmond
Hard Candy
Larry the Cable Guy
She's The Man
Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price

Of the available movies, that has to be some of the worst choices to show in HD. By the way, the HD versions are being offered at a higher price than the SD versions. I just wish they would add some free HD content to the On Demand menu. Reading some posts in the HDTV Programming section, other Comcast locations are getting some great free HD content via On Demand.

EDIT: By the way, I got a flyer from Comcast describing rate increases for 2007. It touted "You'll get up to 17 channels of HD Programming including FOX, ABC, NBC, CBS, ESPN, Discovery HD Theater and many more!" I hope that statement comes true soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #723 of 3321 Old 12-10-2006, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferadam View Post

EDIT: By the way, I got a flyer from Comcast describing rate increases for 2007. It touted "You'll get up to 17 channels of HD Programming including FOX, ABC, NBC, CBS, ESPN, Discovery HD Theater and many more!" I hope that statement comes true soon.

You know, I got the same flyer and I think the package I am on is going *DOWN* $5. Wonders never cease, a cable company lowering its rates.
post #724 of 3321 Old 12-10-2006, 10:09 AM

I am glad that your rates are going down. Mine are going up ALOT. They are upping the HD boxes by $2 for the first box then by $7 for each additional box. Also another $10 or so for the same package of digital channels and premiums. When I figured it all out we are talking over $20 per month increase. Way to go Comcast I think I'm switching back to dish.
post #725 of 3321 Old 12-10-2006, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by makvet View Post

I am glad that your rates are going down. Mine are going up ALOT. They are upping the HD boxes by $2 for the first box then by $7 for each additional box. Also another $10 or so for the same package of digital channels and premiums. When I figured it all out we are talking over $20 per month increase. Way to go Comcast I think I'm switching back to dish.

I may have spoken too soon. Upon further review my rate will go up at least $7/month. I don't know what's going to happen with cable modem pricing but I'm currently paying $32.65/month and I don't see any "Previous Price" matching that. I know I get some kind of discount for the digital package but I'm curious to know if Comcast is going to jack my HSI price up $10 too.

I would go to satellite but I'm not interested in the poor picture quality in comparison to cable at this point. It certainly is tempting, however.
post #726 of 3321 Old 12-10-2006, 07:26 PM

Quote:

The problem with switching back to satellite is that Comcast is now penalizing Internet only customers. You'll notice that the cost of monthly online service jumps from $42.95 to $59.95!

My reasons for staying with Directv are $5 unlimited Tivo service and the sports packages. All my equipment thus far has been free, and I've experienced almost no outages. Can't say the same for cable. Has anyone noticed all the service fees Comcast has added? Tell me again why cable is better? When I left Adelphia all the networks and major programming were analog only. Not so with satellite!

If DSL ever became available I'd be the first to jump ship, but for now we're at the mercy of another monopoly.
post #727 of 3321 Old 12-10-2006, 07:51 PM

Well, I called comcast to cancel my cinemax, and they signed me up for a promo package with 3 other movie channels for free for the first 12 months. Which was pretty nice and the price will be $5 less a month. But then, I guess with the new pricing it will actually go up.

For some reason my download speed with the HSI is 125 kbps today, usually its up near 5.5 Mbps. It's horrible. I have to go switch my cable modem tomorrow, hopefully that will resolve it. Anyone else have issues with this?
post #728 of 3321 Old 12-11-2006, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psincubus View Post

Well, I called comcast to cancel my cinemax, and they signed me up for a promo package with 3 other movie channels for free for the first 12 months. Which was pretty nice and the price will be $5 less a month. But then, I guess with the new pricing it will actually go up.

For some reason my download speed with the HSI is 125 kbps today, usually its up near 5.5 Mbps. It's horrible. I have to go switch my cable modem tomorrow, hopefully that will resolve it. Anyone else have issues with this?

That's a pretty good deal from retentions.

As to your cable modem, that was the problem that many of us had since the Comcast takeover that appears to have finally been solved at the end of last week. In primetime I had speeds ranging from 26 kbps (yes, slower than dialup) to about 250 kbps since the Comcast takeover. Since Friday I've been able to go as high as 4 Mbps in primetime with a significant improvement in latency and jitter.

I wouldn't think that by fixing the rest of us they've screwed you up but I suppose it is possible. How long has it been that way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbird View Post

The problem with switching back to satellite is that Comcast is now penalizing Internet only customers. You'll notice that the cost of monthly online service jumps from $42.95 to $59.95!

My reasons for staying with Directv are $5 unlimited Tivo service and the sports packages. All my equipment thus far has been free, and I've experienced almost no outages. Can't say the same for cable. Has anyone noticed all the service fees Comcast has added? Tell me again why cable is better? When I left Adelphia all the networks and major programming were analog only. Not so with satellite!

If DSL ever became available I'd be the first to jump ship, but for now we're at the mercy of another monopoly.

I tried to go to Verizon DSL but they won't install, even though I had DSL before. Bozos. Since I'm a partner in a wireless ISP I suppose I should just get off my arse and work out a way to see the tower. I know I can run 900 MHz from my house but I just haven't been motivated to get on the roof and set it up. I know, I should be using my own product.

I won't have anything to do with DirecTv again as they deliberately misrepresented the Sunday Ticket package to me a few years ago when everyone was up in arms about the blackouts. They're a bunch of liars together with poorer picture quality than Comcast, even on analogs. Don't get me wrong, Comcast is a crapfest as well just not as bad a crapfest as DirecTV. I suppose I could give Dish a try but my understanding is the picture quality there isn't any better than with DirecTV. And don't let DirecTV's advertising that their "digital" picture is better than cable in analog fool you. DirecTV receives the same analog signal over the air and then encodes it for transport via fiber to their uplink site. The channels are bit-starved and color looks terrible to me.

If it weren't for ESPN I'd probably just dump cable and use BT (what this stands for is apparently censored here) for the few shows I watch that aren't available OTA. As it is the only thing I watch live is on ESPN or over the air.
post #729 of 3321 Old 12-11-2006, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

A few things in relation to recent posts in this thread:

I haven't tried to calculate if I will be getting a better deal once they implement the 2007 Comcast prices. I suspect I won't. I use their broadband and have the Moto DVR with HD package and two premiums.

If you live near State College and are looking for a broadband only solution, check out D&E Communications. IIRC, they have good deals that don't require you to subscribe to their cable TV service. I had good consistent service from them.

Also, regarding an antenna for local OTA reception, I use a Sharpshooter 3000 by Winegard in downtown State College. I have a lot of buildings around but get reception of WTAJ-DT, WPSU-DT, and WATM-DT. I cannot get WJAC-DT OTA but I doubt you could do that unless you put a good antenna in your attic or on your roof.

post #730 of 3321 Old 12-11-2006, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slykens View Post

If it weren't for ESPN I'd probably just dump cable and use BT (what this stands for is apparently censored here) for the few shows I watch that aren't available OTA. As it is the only thing I watch live is on ESPN or over the air.

What is the minimum package required by Comcast to receive local HD networks (WJAC, WATM, WPSU)? Are you required to have a converter/Cablecard to get them? If I am stuck with cable TV, it would be nice to have the HD feeds.
post #731 of 3321 Old 12-11-2006, 04:53 PM

Well, I just traded in my modem for a new one, and my speed increased from about 100 kbps to almost 8500 kbps. I only had the trouble from saturday morning until today, when I got fed up and switched it out. But, I am pretty happy now.
post #732 of 3321 Old 12-11-2006, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

What is the minimum package required by Comcast to receive local HD networks (WJAC, WATM, WPSU)? Are you required to have a converter/Cablecard to get them? If I am stuck with cable TV, it would be nice to have the HD feeds.

I think the Broadcast Basic plan for something on the order of $10 would do for you as the locals in HD are unencrypted. All you need is a QAM tuner. I'm not sure how they would filter out the other channels tho. It might behoove you to call and ask or check in another thread where they have Comcast.
post #733 of 3321 Old 12-11-2006, 08:07 PM

After talking with some of the most incompetent customer service reps I have ever dealt with, I finally learned that Comcast will not immediately change their rates next year. As long as you don't change anything, your rates should stay the same for at least another year. So my advice is don't touch it, and keep your fingers crossed. I was going to get Broadcast Basic and HD locals, but they apparently require a cable box or Cablecard and a $25 installation fee to boot. No thanks! I'll stick with OTA.
post #734 of 3321 Old 12-11-2006, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

After talking with some of the most incompetent customer service reps I have ever dealt with, I finally learned that Comcast will not immediately change their rates next year. As long as you don't change anything, your rates should stay the same for at least another year. So my advice is don't touch it, and keep your fingers crossed. I was going to get Broadcast Basic and HD locals, but they apparently require a cable box or Cablecard and a $25 installation fee to boot. No thanks! I'll stick with OTA.

As Slykens said you should be able to get by with the $12.50 Basic Service. If your TV has a QAM tuner you will be able to see WTAJ, WJAC, and WPSU because they are unencrypted.

post #735 of 3321 Old 12-11-2006, 08:55 PM

Quote:

I tried to go to Verizon DSL but they won't install, even though I had DSL before. Bozos. Since I'm a partner in a wireless ISP I suppose I should just get off my arse and work out a way to see the tower. I know I can run 900 MHz from my house but I just haven't been motivated to get on the roof and set it up. I know, I should be using my own product.

The crossconnect that serves your area (and mine) is reported to be full, preventing any new subs from getting connected. At least it was a couple months ago when I last talked to a VZ person.

Quote:

I won't have anything to do with DirecTv again as they deliberately misrepresented the Sunday Ticket package to me a few years ago when everyone was up in arms about the blackouts. They're a bunch of liars together with poorer picture quality than Comcast, even on analogs. Don't get me wrong, Comcast is a crapfest as well just not as bad a crapfest as DirecTV. I suppose I could give Dish a try but my understanding is the picture quality there isn't any better than with DirecTV. And don't let DirecTV's advertising that their "digital" picture is better than cable in analog fool you. DirecTV receives the same analog signal over the air and then encodes it for transport via fiber to their uplink site. The channels are bit-starved and color looks terrible to me.

All {cellular, TV, internet} providers suck, some suck more than others.
post #736 of 3321 Old 12-12-2006, 04:56 AM

I have the Broadcast Basic Service and two different digital tuners. Neither tuner detects the digital channels. Do those channels come over a standard UHF frequency like OTA, or are they somewhere else. I am sharing bandwidth with satellite with a coupler--could that be the problem? I went round and round with Comcast, but they were insistent that I would need a Cablecard or converter box.

Quote:

As Slykens said you should be able to get by with the $12.50 Basic Service. If your TV has a QAM tuner you will be able to see WTAJ, WJAC, and WPSU because they are unencrypted.

post #737 of 3321 Old 12-12-2006, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyiota View Post

The crossconnect that serves your area (and mine) is reported to be full, preventing any new subs from getting connected. At least it was a couple months ago when I last talked to a VZ person.

They qualified the line and gave me an installation date. Then never told me anything about it leaving me to call them and be told that I had to talk to some other department for dry loop DSL. When I tried calling them they were never around but the first person I talked to said the account was noted with, "Utility Rejects." So I don't know what the story is but it almost seems tenuous that they would send me a modem and give me a service ready date if the DSLAM or remote terminal were full. Just frustrating, that's all.

Quote:

All {cellular, TV, internet} providers suck, some suck more than others.

For the most part, I certainly agree. It is like the elections, pick the one you dislike least.
post #738 of 3321 Old 12-12-2006, 11:30 AM

What part of SC do you live? I keep getting told that DSL is not available in my area yet. I live near Lemont.
post #739 of 3321 Old 12-12-2006, 02:03 PM

Quote:

They qualified the line and gave me an installation date. Then never told me anything about it leaving me to call them and be told that I had to talk to some other department for dry loop DSL. When I tried calling them they were never around but the first person I talked to said the account was noted with, "Utility Rejects." So I don't know what the story is but it almost seems tenuous that they would send me a modem and give me a service ready date if the DSLAM or remote terminal were full. Just frustrating, that's all.

Were you ordering "naked" DSL? They seem to have a special hold queue with no drain for people who want DSL and who don't have a phone number.

Just to make this quasi-on-topic, I still haven't seen anything from WNEP's translators on Pine Grove mountain. I will have to poke the engineer about when they are going to do the flash cut.
post #740 of 3321 Old 12-12-2006, 02:07 PM

Quote:

What part of SC do you live? I keep getting told that DSL is not available in my area yet. I live near Lemont.

There is an area off branch road west of lemont but east of the bypass that to my knowledge is still not served by VZ for DSL. I know some residents there argue they are "in Lemont" but in my opinion, if you don't have to pick up your mail at the post office, you don't really live in Lemont.

I know some folks out near Colier managed to get in touch with VZ and VZ is willing to deploy DSL out there if a certain number of subscribers can commit to getting service. You might want to get your neighbors together and poke at VZ.
post #741 of 3321 Old 12-12-2006, 04:04 PM

Well that makes more sense Tinyiota, I live in Centre Hills. Do you know if they have any plans to service this area?
post #742 of 3321 Old 12-12-2006, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Were you ordering "naked" DSL? They seem to have a special hold queue with no drain for people who want DSL and who don't have a phone number.

Yes, but as a result I apparently have a DSL modem I've never paid for, AGAIN!

The first time I wanted DSL installed they basically did the same thing. Then a year or so later I actually managed to get them to install it and used the modem they sent me the first time. When I set up this time online I didn't have a way to tell them I had a modem so they sent me another. I can't imagine they're paying much for them as they don't seem worked up about keeping a hold of them.
post #743 of 3321 Old 12-13-2006, 08:16 AM

Has anyone that has internet only service with the State College Comcast hooked the cable up to a telvision with a ATSC/QAM tuners and received the locals in HD. I am assuming that the trap they place on the line is analog only. Any one with experience please chime in. Thanks in advance.
post #744 of 3321 Old 12-13-2006, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

I stopped by the Comcast office on Benner Pike today. I wanted to see if they have the SA8300 DVR box. The woman said they don't have any in this area. She said the boxes they carry are location-dependent. Huntingdon for example has them, but this area doesn't.
Then I asked her about HD offerings. She didn't have any info regarding HD On Demand offerings. I am hoping they start providing some free HD content On Demand soon. She did say we should be getting some new HD channels soon. The only one she knew about was Comcast SportsNet (CSN HD) out of Philly. She said she heard a rumor from a reliable source about that one. She said she wasn't sure about FOX and CBS, so they are probably at least aware that those stations are lagging behind in the upgrade.
But she also said we would be losing some of the lesser watched HD stations, such as INHD2. I have no problem losing INHD2 because 1) I never watch it and 2) INHD and INHD2 are actually being combined into one network. Any losses beyond that would be disappointing. I doubt they will cut any HD premiums or locals, so that leaves Discovery, HDNet, HDNetmovies, NFL Net HD, and the ESPNs. Any loss of one of those would be disappointing. I have to think the most likely to go would be HDNet, HDnet Movies, or NFL Network HD. If they got us that new Versus/Golf Channel HD I would make the trade though.

post #745 of 3321 Old 12-13-2006, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

But she also said we would be losing some of the lesser watched HD stations, such as INHD2.

AFAIK INHD2 is going away on its own accord but Comcast doesn't have any agreement with HDnet so I'm guessing when they start adding channels we'll lose those as well.

Too bad, they're pretty good channels to have. Adding TNT, Universal, and a few others would help make up for it, especially looking down the barrel of a rate increase.
post #746 of 3321 Old 12-13-2006, 12:56 PM

Quote:

AFAIK INHD2 is going away on its own accord but Comcast doesn't have any agreement with HDnet so I'm guessing when they start adding channels we'll lose those as well.

Too bad, they're pretty good channels to have. Adding TNT, Universal, and a few others would help make up for it, especially looking down the barrel of a rate increase.

I wouldn't be surprised to see VS HD show up, since Comcast owns them. I'm kinda surprised to hear CSN is in the mix. We're not a Philly sports market and CSN carries a lot of Phillies/Flyers games. That's going to screw up the blackout rules for a lot of people. Fortunately I'm not much of a philly fan.
post #747 of 3321 Old 12-13-2006, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I wouldn't be surprised to see VS HD show up, since Comcast owns them. I'm kinda surprised to hear CSN is in the mix. We're not a Philly sports market and CSN carries a lot of Phillies/Flyers games. That's going to screw up the blackout rules for a lot of people. Fortunately I'm not much of a philly fan.

Don't tell DirecTV that. I never fought with them over RSNs but friends of mine did and they insisted the RSN for our area was Philly, not Fox Sports Pittsburgh. In reality I would like so see both FSP-HD and CSN-HD on our system. I would guess we'll see CSN-HD as it would be a reasonable argument that people here would watch *and* it will increase the homes passed number and allow them to charge more for advertising. Since Comcast owns the channel that's just gravy.
post #748 of 3321 Old 12-14-2006, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Over in the HDTV Programming forum people with Comcast are reporting that their INHD2 has been replaced with National Geographic Channel HD (NGCHD) or MHD (that MTV channel). Personally I can only hope we get NGCHD because I haven't watched MTV in about 20 years.

Has anyone with Comcast in our area noticed that the NFL games on NFL Network HD don't show up in the guide? Both tonight's and Saturday's game says "Off air", but the game shows up in the SD version of NFL Network. This was true for last week's game too. Any ideas why? Luckily last week I still got the game despite the listing in the guide.

post #749 of 3321 Old 12-14-2006, 08:41 PM

Quote:

Don't tell DirecTV that. I never fought with them over RSNs but friends of mine did and they insisted the RSN for our area was Philly, not Fox Sports Pittsburgh. In reality I would like so see both FSP-HD and CSN-HD on our system. I would guess we'll see CSN-HD as it would be a reasonable argument that people here would watch *and* it will increase the homes passed number and allow them to charge more for advertising. Since Comcast owns the channel that's just gravy.

DTV is already confused.

They blacked out a bunch of Phillies/Mets games on ESPN HD this summer and swore up and down to me that it was because CSN had the rights in this market. I asked them to explain why their system told them that my RSN was FSNPI, why the cable system has FSNPI *and* had the mets/phils game on ESPN and they vapor locked. Even the "manager" said "uhhh, we'll have to look into that for you."

I can grudgingly accept the whole "team territory" and blackout thing, but the FCC has to force them to make it consistent across all the service providers in the market..
post #750 of 3321 Old 12-15-2006, 07:01 PM

I live in Somerset and we were recently switched from Adelphia to Comcast. I've used Adelphia for my cable internet but went to DishNetwork about 8 months ago because of Adelphia's lack of hi def programming.

My experience with Dish Network has been less than stellar. Their HD package is nice but I can't get any networks in HD and I watch network tv 80% of the time. I have an antenna but the HD reception is beyond horrible (drop outs every five seconds).

So, I'm considering going back to cable. I spoke with a comcast rep today and she said I could lock into a basic package for $40 and there would be no rate increases for a year. That's appealing to me since it's $20 less than what I pay for Dish. But I don't want to make another switch only to end up disappointed.

I'm wondering what the PQ is like from Comcast. I mostly watch networks and Sci Fi although others in my house watch ESPN and Fox Sports. Is it as good as the Dish? Or would I need to upgrade to a higher package to get comparable quality. Do the locals broadcast in HD? I know WJAC does but what about Fox, ABC and CBS? Can we get any of those channels in HD?

Any advice is appreciated!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page