Johnstown, PA - HDTV - Page 26 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #751 of 3331 Old 12-18-2006, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone want to share their local Comcast reviews? I'd love to hear from at least a few people before making the switch.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 3331 Old 12-18-2006, 05:02 PM

Comcast has pretty good HD service. The locals situation isn't complete only (PBS, NBC, and ABC). However if you want alot more than just the basic package get your pocket book out. I am on the other side of the fence, I was thinking about swithching back to Dish after my bill is going to go up by $27 per month.

At least with Dish I can "move" to Philly for ALL the networks in HD.
post #753 of 3331 Old 12-18-2006, 06:04 PM

Thanks for the feedback makvet. I spoke with a DishNetwork rep today and they said there was no way I could get locals in HD and that getting a feed from a different city was not legally possible. Maybe that's because I'm in Somerset though.

How does the PQ compare with Dish? Any better, worse or the same for non HD feeds?
post #754 of 3331 Old 12-18-2006, 06:26 PM

Depending what satellite you are using for your HD, I am assuming you are using 61.5. The HD locals on 61.5 are conus and I believe currently Philly, DC, Boston, and NYC are on them. (NYC might have been moved to spot beams). So if you "move" to a Philly service address you now have HD locals.

I have not seen Dish HD channels but I am willing to give them a try I think. At worse it is only 18 months if I agree to the committment.
post #755 of 3331 Old 12-21-2006, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFTony View Post

Thanks for the feedback makvet. I spoke with a DishNetwork rep today and they said there was no way I could get locals in HD and that getting a feed from a different city was not legally possible. Maybe that's because I'm in Somerset though.

How does the PQ compare with Dish? Any better, worse or the same for non HD feeds?

I have had a good experience with Comcast. PQ on premium channels is good. On some channels the PQ has worsened compared to previous years (ESPN is a good example of that), but that is seen across the board regardless of provider. I have never had Dish but my understanding based on the AVS forums is that cable is usually better than Dish or DirecTV in the PQ category. Right now is a good time to be a Comcast subscriber if you are in one of the previous Adelphia locations because we are still getting HDNet, HDNetMovies, and NFL Network HD, which Comcast usually does not provide.
post #756 of 3331 Old 12-26-2006, 11:56 AM

Just wanted to post an update. Last week I called Comcast and said I was interested in switching back to cable because I wanted locals in HD. They said "Not a problem" and that I'd need to rent a HD box for around $5 a month so I said to sign me up. They installer was supposed to arrive today to install it but he called a few minutes ago and asked if the reason I was switching was to get HD programming. I said it was and he said that Comcast doesn't offer HD service to Somerset and won't until they upgrade all of the wiring. He figured that was at least 6 month away, which is cable company lingo is as accurate as usual, that's around 2 years.

Overall, it wasn't a big deal but I can't believe how pathetic the sales agents are at Comcast that they don't even know that HD programming isn't available in the area. Gee, the HD box would have done me a lot of good.
post #757 of 3331 Old 12-27-2006, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFTony View Post

Just wanted to post an update. Last week I called Comcast and said I was interested in switching back to cable because I wanted locals in HD. They said "Not a problem" and that I'd need to rent a HD box for around $5 a month so I said to sign me up. They installer was supposed to arrive today to install it but he called a few minutes ago and asked if the reason I was switching was to get HD programming. I said it was and he said that Comcast doesn't offer HD service to Somerset and won't until they upgrade all of the wiring. He figured that was at least 6 month away, which is cable company lingo is as accurate as usual, that's around 2 years.

Overall, it wasn't a big deal but I can't believe how pathetic the sales agents are at Comcast that they don't even know that HD programming isn't available in the area. Gee, the HD box would have done me a lot of good.

Sorry to hear that Somerset doesn't have the HD service yet. If your TV has an ATSC tuner I would get an antenna and see what you can pick up OTA.
post #758 of 3331 Old 01-03-2007, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Just got back in town and noticed some changes in the Comcast lineup for State College. INHD2 is gone as expected. There is a new SD called CN8 which is a Comcast channel. I am disappointed there is no new HD channel added.
post #759 of 3331 Old 01-03-2007, 03:22 PM

I saw the INHD2 drop as well. Didn't know about CN8. In any case, they had better replace INHD2 with some new HD content in a hurry or I'll be (more) pissed. I liked a lot of what was on INHD2.

Let me get this straight: as of right now Comcast is jacking our bills, but taking away our content? Hm... Dish almost seems nicer every day.

Speaking of content, I have a general question about HD service, on cable anyway. How come channels like HDnet, Discovery HD, INHD, etc. simply replay the same programs over and over? Maybe it is just a consequence of having so few channels to choose from, but I feel like there is seldom a program on that I have never seen before. I've only had Comdelphia HD service for about six months and already I've seen most of the programs (which are often bad upconversions of old SD material) at least threefold. There is surely more HD content out there, why not try to air some of it?

Just an observation.
post #760 of 3331 Old 01-03-2007, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieljw View Post

Speaking of content, I have a general question about HD service, on cable anyway. How come channels like HDnet, Discovery HD, INHD, etc. simply replay the same programs over and over? Maybe it is just a consequence of having so few channels to choose from, but I feel like there is seldom a program on that I have never seen before. I've only had Comdelphia HD service for about six months and already I've seen most of the programs (which are often bad upconversions of old SD material) at least threefold. There is surely more HD content out there, why not try to air some of it?

Just an observation.

IMHO the biggest problem is that each content owner wants to have their content on their own HD channel and the business case and infrastructure to support all those HD channels is not there yet.

If you look at the market, HDTV is still a high-end "early adopter" niche.
post #761 of 3331 Old 01-03-2007, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyiota View Post

If you look at the market, HDTV is still a high-end "early adopter" niche.

It must be, because I am /so/ sick of Bose commercials.
post #762 of 3331 Old 01-04-2007, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieljw View Post

I saw the INHD2 drop as well. Didn't know about CN8. In any case, they had better replace INHD2 with some new HD content in a hurry or I'll be (more) pissed. I liked a lot of what was on INHD2.

Let me get this straight: as of right now Comcast is jacking our bills, but taking away our content? Hm... Dish almost seems nicer every day.

INHD2 was scheduled to go dark anyways, pulled by its owners. Not a Comcast decision.
post #763 of 3331 Old 01-04-2007, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanPSUpa View Post

INHD2 was scheduled to go dark anyways, pulled by its owners. Not a Comcast decision.

This is true. And I noticed that CN8 came online a couple of weeks ago -- around Christmas. This makes me think that these changes are not the ones recently promised by the cable gods in their cryptic December letter.
post #764 of 3331 Old 01-13-2007, 02:17 PM

Hi All - Been monitoring the thread for a while now and all the good info being exchanged. I am using DISH and was getting the CBS HD feed from New York courtesy of a waiver from the girl at channel 10 in Altoona. As I'm sure most of you know that is now gone since Dish had to pull all distant channels - including ones like thins that were only providing HD. Anyway, two questions for the group:

1. Anyone heard any updates on when WTAJ might finally get HD running, now that the owners have taken over?

2. I am using a fairly high gain antenna mounted inside my attic to get Over the Air signals for and am getting a decent enough signal from WJAC in HD. Wondering if anyone has had any success from the Altoona area in receiving FOX in HD from their tower ? I'm thinking about moving the antenna up and on to the roof, maybe with a rotor to see if I can pick them up, but hate to go to all the trouble if there's little chance of success.

Thanks!

Kevin
post #765 of 3331 Old 01-13-2007, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkmac View Post

Wondering if anyone has had any success from the Altoona area in receiving FOX in HD from their tower ? I'm thinking about moving the antenna up and on to the roof, maybe with a rotor to see if I can pick them up, but hate to go to all the trouble if there's little chance of success.

I don't know if you'll be able to get signal from them, you're probably 45-50 miles away and they have to protect an analog channel 29 near Phillipsburg so they're not transmitting with a ton of power, but even if you did you wouldn't get FOX in HD as WWCP doesn't pass HD to the tower.

Atlantic Broadband picks it up on fiber from WWCP's studio right now and as far as I know are the only cable company in our area passing FOX in HD.

As to WTAJ I have not heard anything from Kathy Smith so I would assume that dates or plans are not yet finalized.
post #766 of 3331 Old 01-15-2007, 07:36 AM

I got this response last week from WTAJ Station Manager Phil Dubrow. I inquired about them transmitting HD by the Super Bowl:

Quote:

We are working hard right now on making HD a reality. Although I can't confirm a date at this point, rest assured that the folks here at WTAJ-TV are working to bring HD to our viewers in the near future.

post #767 of 3331 Old 01-16-2007, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I called Comcast to let them know that thier outrageous rate increases is pushing me towards Dish Network. The rep said they are offering a new promo for free HBO, Starz and Showtime for 1 year no strings attached or comittments. Just FYI for anyone interested in this.
post #768 of 3331 Old 01-16-2007, 06:52 AM

antman, I got that promo. My bill before with just cinemax, hd dvr, and high speed internet was about $110 per month. With the promo (everything but the cinemax channels), hd dvr, and HSI, its only $81. I am pretty happy with that.

However, if directv does add all those HD channels, I may have to switch to them, although getting an HD DVR through them may be costly.
post #769 of 3331 Old 01-16-2007, 07:49 AM

I just emailed WTAJ today (about schedule for HD). Their Chief Engineer replyed back stating:

Quote:

We will start broadcasting HDTV on January 26. Enjoy!!

So there you have it. They get about 10 days to work out the kinks before the Super Bowl.
post #770 of 3331 Old 01-16-2007, 07:55 AM

I just emailed and recieved a reply back from Engineering at WJAC, regarding HDTV in the State College area. The low power repeater (Channel 7) on Pine Grove Mountain (??) will be converted over to digital and HD this spring.

I quote:

Quote:

We submitted an application with the Federal Communications Commission for this last fall. We hope to get the approval soon and have it on the air this spring.

I have also emailed Fox/ABC regarding HD-FOX and the low power repeater (channel 59) in the State College area. I will forward any info they provide me.

Additionally, I have also read that WNEP (ABC, channel 16 out of WB/Scranton) will be converting over their low power transmitters in our area, sometime this year.
post #771 of 3331 Old 01-16-2007, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkydink View Post

I just emailed WTAJ today (about schedule for HD). Their Chief Engineer replyed back stating:

So there you have it. They get about 10 days to work out the kinks before the Super Bowl.

Excellent news!
post #772 of 3331 Old 01-16-2007, 11:07 AM

Here are some snippets of questions and answers I recieved from engineering at WATM/WWCP

FOX-8/WWCP

Q: What is Fox 8 plans regarding HDTV. Are we talking days, months or years?

Quote:

A: Within the next couple of months we will be over the air HD. we are currently feeding HD to Atlantic Broadband cable company.

Q: Will you put your HD signal out over the air, or only on cable TV? Will your WATM transmitter in Altoona broadcast the Fox HD signal eventually, or will this only be available on your Ligonier transmitter ? (I cannot get a signal from that transmitter)

Quote:

A: FOX HD will be broadcast at this time only on FOX's tower in Ligonier.

Q: Will you maintain your low power repeater in the State College area (currently on channel 59) to allow HD and digital into the State College Market. Since channels 51-69 are scheduled to go away, will this repeater be assigned a new frequency and what is the time table for this to happen.

Quote:

A: As far as the low power translator that will be determined at a later date.

Questions Regarding WATM (ABC-23)

Q: Why are you stretching you non HD programming to fill the entire picture. This really looks lousy, and you are the only station to do this.

Quote:

A: We will be putting the upconverted signal back to 4:3 soon.

Q: Is it possible for you to fix your audio problems for non network shows on 23.1 (HD). All the sound is coming out on the left rear speaker. The sound is balanced and fine for Network shows however.

Quote:

A: I will check into this.

post #773 of 3331 Old 01-16-2007, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkydink View Post

Here are some snippets of questions and answers I recieved from engineering at WATM/WWCP

FOX-8/WWCP

Q: What is Fox 8 plans regarding HDTV. Are we talking days, months or years?

Q: Will you put your HD signal out over the air, or only on cable TV? Will your WATM transmitter in Altoona broadcast the Fox HD signal eventually, or will this only be available on your Ligonier transmitter ? (I cannot get a signal from that transmitter)

Q: Will you maintain your low power repeater in the State College area (currently on channel 59) to allow HD and digital into the State College Market. Since channels 51-69 are scheduled to go away, will this repeater be assigned a new frequency and what is the time table for this to happen.

Questions Regarding WATM (ABC-23)

Q: Why are you stretching you non HD programming to fill the entire picture. This really looks lousy, and you are the only station to do this.

Q: Is it possible for you to fix your audio problems for non network shows on 23.1 (HD). All the sound is coming out on the left rear speaker. The sound is balanced and fine for Network shows however.

A round of applause to winkydink for the updates.
As for the various low power translators, the FCC is beginning to break the logjam of applications for digital conversions. For those interested in tracking the progress of these applications, the FCC Query site http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/audio/tvq.html may be of some help. You can also track them by way of the FCC's Daily Digest (under Broadcast Actions).

ÂOne of the few good things about modern times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us.Â
- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #774 of 3331 Old 01-16-2007, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_MainyYak View Post

A round of applause to winkydink for the updates.
As for the various low power translators, the FCC is beginning to break the logjam of applications for digital conversions. For those interested in tracking the progress of these applications, the FCC Query site http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/audio/tvq.html may be of some help. You can also track them by way of the FCC's Daily Digest (under Broadcast Actions).

The FCC has already allocated channel 42 to WPXI in State College.

The NY Times just sold off it's TV stations, including WNEP. They have construction permits for flash cuts for both 36 and 38, but the last info I have on their plans is fro m last July. At that point they said that since SC is outside their DMA, it would probably be the last translator they converted.
post #775 of 3331 Old 01-17-2007, 10:43 AM

WTAJ HD will be delivered how OTA, Atlantic, Comcast

I don't know what to do for the big game and time is running out.

Dish Network and OTA or "move"
Stay with Comcast (CBSHD), if they'll give me this new deal $120 a month is crazy now.
I'm even looking a Star Choice
post #776 of 3331 Old 01-17-2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdragon View Post

WTAJ HD will be delivered how OTA, Atlantic, Comcast

I don't know what to do for the big game and time is running out.

Dish Network and OTA or "move"
Stay with Comcast (CBSHD), if they'll give me this new deal $120 a month is crazy now.
I'm even looking a Star Choice

I can only say that I've helped a number of people in the State College area with OTA setups and every one of them was able to get WTAJ's digital signal on 32 with an OTA antenna rig. In my opinion, If you want CBS in HD and you're in the SC area, you should at least try to get it OTA before you subscribe to cable.
post #777 of 3331 Old 01-17-2007, 12:08 PM

I guess my fear is the HD pass through will only go to Atlantic. With KDKA on Altoona Cable nobody with Atlantic and HD will watch the Superbowl on 10, so they had to do something there. But why should they go Camcast or OTA if they don't have to.

I get the digital SD OTA too.
post #778 of 3331 Old 01-17-2007, 02:02 PM

Just found this thread and had a few questions for Atlantic Broadband customers in Altoona/Hollidaysburg.

Has anyone else had trouble with Discover HD over the last year+? I've had more trouble with that channel than any of the others. It will get very pixelated, problems with sound, and sometimes I lose the channel all together. It was out for a few weeks several times. Each time, they would send someone, and either change the box (SA8300HD box), or do something in the programming, then it would go back out a few days later. It has been fine for the past few weeks, but I just wondering if it has happened to anyone else.

Also, anyone notice that the audio is out of sync on KDKA-HD channel? I've noticed it mostly on David Letterman.

Also, does anyone know if ABB is going to be adding any additional HD channels any time soon, or can point me in to where there might be updates?

Thanks,
Josh
post #779 of 3331 Old 01-17-2007, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyiota View Post

I can only say that I've helped a number of people in the State College area with OTA setups and every one of them was able to get WTAJ's digital signal on 32 with an OTA antenna rig. In my opinion, If you want CBS in HD and you're in the SC area, you should at least try to get it OTA before you subscribe to cable.

FWIW I can confirm tinyiota's statement that WTAJ-DT is usually very easy to receive in State College.

I sent email to Kathy Smith at WTAJ to confirm the dates and to find out if they plan for HD over the air or just a feed to cable companies. I'll let the board know what the answer is if/when I get it.
post #780 of 3331 Old 01-17-2007, 04:26 PM

Thanks Slykens.

WJAC already teased me with their promise of converting channel 7 by New Year. I can't take it if WTAJ breaks my heart too. I'm starting to think I bought an antenna for nothing.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page