Johnstown, PA - HDTV - Page 27 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #781 of 3320 Old 01-18-2007, 04:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Josh, I don't really watch much Discover HD, so I can't address your first question. Regarding the out-of-sync audio and video on KDKA, it does seem to be common. I also get a lot of dropouts and brief audio and video glitches on that channel. An ABB technician said it is due to the satellite transmission between Pittsburgh and Altoona, and any bad weather between here and there can mess the signal up. He said it should improve when we start getting CBS from WTAJ.

As far as additional HD channels, I've wondered the same thing. We've had the same channels for a year now, with no additions. Every time I've asked, I get no answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 3320 Old 01-18-2007, 05:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh1233 View Post

Just found this thread and had a few questions for Atlantic Broadband customers in Altoona/Hollidaysburg.

Has anyone else had trouble with Discover HD over the last year+? I've had more trouble with that channel than any of the others. It will get very pixelated, problems with sound, and sometimes I lose the channel all together. It was out for a few weeks several times. Each time, they would send someone, and either change the box (SA8300HD box), or do something in the programming, then it would go back out a few days later. It has been fine for the past few weeks, but I just wondering if it has happened to anyone else.

Also, anyone notice that the audio is out of sync on KDKA-HD channel? I've noticed it mostly on David Letterman.

Also, does anyone know if ABB is going to be adding any additional HD channels any time soon, or can point me in to where there might be updates?

Thanks,
Josh

I have ABB in Johnstown. I've noticed a few stray pixelation events from time to time - usually just a brief block of white in a dark area of the image. When I recabled with RG6 from by basement distribution center to the living room HD set, the pixelation virtually disappeared.
As for KDKA, I have noticed the audio sync issues from time to time. The Pittsburgh thread is full of such complaints. Posters on that thread report KDKA is aware of the problem and has been working to make amends.
The folks at ABB I've spoken with say they know nothing of any plans to add additional HD channels. Interestingly, their website shows ESPN2HD as one of the active offerings, but it has not shown up on the cable box as of yet.
My guess is once D* gets their two new HD birds in orbit and operational, the cable operators will find a way to add some channels.

ÂOne of the few good things about modern times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us.Â
- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #783 of 3320 Old 01-18-2007, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdragon View Post

WJAC already teased me with their promise of converting channel 7 by New Year. I can't take it if WTAJ breaks my heart too. I'm starting to think I bought an antenna for nothing.

Have you tried to receive WJAC-DT over the air in State College?

What kind of antenna setup have you tried, if you have?

I have had success receiving WJAC-DT with just a simple yagi+preamp setup at my house and my parents receive it with an 8-bay and cheapo preamp at their house near Science Park Road. I think tinyiota has had success with it as well but he's in an elevated location probably 200-300 feet above me.
post #784 of 3320 Old 01-18-2007, 08:56 AM

I get the ABC DT signal in the 80s in Stonebridge but haven't tried NBC. I just bought a mid range 4 bay thinking if I got anything stronger the channel 7 signal would come in overpowered. No I love my set-up. I guess impatience is getting to me. The broadcasters get their way everytime they ask the government a delay or concession and then promise us something and don't deliver.
post #785 of 3320 Old 01-18-2007, 09:18 AM

If you have a directional antenna, you might want to try to point it (for kicks) towards Wilkes Barre / Scranton and see if you can pick up WNEP digital (49.3, 49.4 translated to 16.1,16.2) or WOLF-DT (45.X translated to 56).

I am in Greentree and my geography is such that WB/Sc is in the same direction as the valley by Tussey Mtn. I have clear line of site. I can get WNEP digital almost all the time with none or very few drop offs. Once in a while I can get a digital signal from WOLF. Being that you are in Stonebridge you may have a similar mountain / valley alignment.

Slykens

Any word yet from Kathy Smith confirming WTAJ conversion to HD?
I would be shocked if they did not have it both OTA and through cable.
post #786 of 3320 Old 01-18-2007, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkydink View Post

Any word yet from Kathy Smith confirming WTAJ conversion to HD? I would be shocked if they did not have it both OTA and through cable.

Yes, about twenty minutes ago I got email from their engineer confirming that they will be passing HD OVER THE AIR. He was unaware of any cableco plans at this point but it will be available over the air.
post #787 of 3320 Old 01-18-2007, 11:42 AM

deanbrew and PA_MainyYak, thanks for the replies.
post #788 of 3320 Old 01-18-2007, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I just bought a mid range 4 bay thinking if I got anything stronger the channel 7 signal would come in overpowered.

Do you have a preamp?
post #789 of 3320 Old 01-18-2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slykens View Post

Do you have a preamp?

No, not yet. I'm not running alot of cable though. If WJAC does convert 7 to DT it will be under 10 miles away, do you think the signal will overpower.
post #790 of 3320 Old 01-18-2007, 02:12 PM

Quote:

No, not yet. I'm not running alot of cable though. If WJAC does convert 7 to DT it will be under 10 miles away, do you think the signal will overpower.

You keep mentioning 7, do you mean the translator on Channel 7 here in State College? Or something else? WJAC's main Digital transmitter is on channel 34 on Laurel Mountain south of altoona. In SC they broadcast on analog 7 and they have an application in to broadcast in digital on channel 42. Unless something major has happened, WJAC is assigned digital channel 34 for continued use after the 2009 analog cutoff. At or before that time, channel 7 will cease transimitting in analog (and probably completely) as well.
post #791 of 3320 Old 01-18-2007, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slykens View Post

Have you tried to receive WJAC-DT over the air in State College?

What kind of antenna setup have you tried, if you have?

I have had success receiving WJAC-DT with just a simple yagi+preamp setup at my house and my parents receive it with an 8-bay and cheapo preamp at their house near Science Park Road. I think tinyiota has had success with it as well but he's in an elevated location probably 200-300 feet above me.

I get WJAC-DT with a 4 bay bowtie and CM7777 amp. It can get a little funky in the summer when all the leaves are out, but that's probably my fault for putting the antenna where it is, instead of on my roof.

One of the folks I helped set up WTAJ-DT and WATM-DT could not get WJAC, but they're in a low area east of the by-pass, so it's likely the bypass and mountains were in the way.
post #792 of 3320 Old 01-18-2007, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyiota View Post

You keep mentioning 7, do you mean the translator on Channel 7 here in State College? Or something else? WJAC's main Digital transmitter is on channel 34 on Laurel Mountain south of altoona. In SC they broadcast on analog 7 and they have an application in to broadcast in digital on channel 42. Unless something major has happened, WJAC is assigned digital channel 34 for continued use after the 2009 analog cutoff. At or before that time, channel 7 will cease transimitting in analog (and probably completely) as well.

Yes, proposed active date of 42 was my reason for buying the 4 bay. Antenna has a 90 deg. sweep so NBC (42) at one end and FOX, ABC, CBS, PBS dead on center.
The CM PreAmp is still a possibility.

Maybe I planned poorly?
post #793 of 3320 Old 01-18-2007, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yes, proposed active date of 42 was my reason for buying the 4 bay. Antenna has a 90 deg. sweep so NBC (42) at one end and FOX, ABC, CBS, PBS dead on center.

The PBS (WPSU) you see is actually on Pine Grove Mountain as well just a few hundred meters down range from WJAC's translator.

I don't know what the time frame for WJAC's digital translator is but if you want to try to get NBC in HD now I'd pick up the pre-amp. I don't think you'll overdrive your receiver once the digital translator is in place but I can't really say for sure. At my house the 17 dBi yagi I'm currently playing with has a CM7777 on it and I don't have a problem with too much signal even from WPSU's State College booster.
post #794 of 3320 Old 01-19-2007, 05:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Maybe I planned poorly?

Yesterday the FCC approved a huge batch of Construction Permits for digital LPDT and digital translators, including WJAC's digital on channel 42 (which will eventually replace the channel 7 NTSC translator), so I would expect they will move things along rather quickly. I used to work at WJAC and know they are dedicated to remaining a leader in the transition from analog to digital, and that they consider the State College area an important part of their market.

As somebody else mentioned recently on this forum, we are the "early adopters" of HDTV and will have to exercise patience until digital viewership reaches critical mass. OTOH, we need not exercise patience in silence. Continue to contact the general managers and chief engineers, and more importantly, convince your friends and neighbors to get on the HD bandwagon.

ÂOne of the few good things about modern times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us.Â
- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #795 of 3320 Old 01-19-2007, 12:31 PM

[quote=psincubus]antman, I got that promo. My bill before with just cinemax, hd dvr, and high speed internet was about $110 per month. With the promo (everything but the cinemax channels), hd dvr, and HSI, its only $81. I am pretty happy with that.

Psincubus, I have the exact same bill and was about to bolt to Dish. If you don't mind me asking, what department were you talking to that you got the promotion?
post #796 of 3320 Old 01-19-2007, 01:51 PM

cdragon, I called in around a week before christmas to cancel cinemax and to see how that would affect my bill, then the CSR told me about the promo and said that it would be 81 a month. So I didn't argue and took it. I just got the first bill, and it is indeed $81.

So I think I was talking to whoever picks up when you follow the telephone options to "Change/cancel service."
post #797 of 3320 Old 01-20-2007, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psincubus View Post

cdragon, I called in around a week before christmas to cancel cinemax and to see how that would affect my bill, then the CSR told me about the promo and said that it would be 81 a month. So I didn't argue and took it. I just got the first bill, and it is indeed $81.

So I think I was talking to whoever picks up when you follow the telephone options to "Change/cancel service."

I called Comcast yesterday and got some more details on the movie channel deal. It's considered a "promotion" and you are allowed to have one "promotion" on your account, since we moved over from Adelphia, we all get one. It's sounded like it was a one time deal, you could take as many promotions as you wanted, as long as it was at one time. In addition to the movies, they offered me free digial plus for 3 months, $24.95 high speed internet for 3 months. I just called the regular comcast number and asked about promotions.
post #798 of 3320 Old 01-21-2007, 06:45 AM

Well, my Moto6412 phase 3 comcast box crapped out on me, so I brought it to the office to return it. They said they have no HDMI versions and I got the DVI version, and boy does this box suck. How the hell can they not have any new boxes? What happens with new customers? They apparently gave me a box someone else returned cause this box takes about 10 seconds to respond to each button push, the DVR can't record an hour show in one shot (it splits it up into about 5 different parts), when playing back the DVR it crashes within a minute, and the output is at least twice as noisy as the old box. Comcast here is really starting to piss me off, with this crappy box and with the whole HSI debacle.
post #799 of 3320 Old 01-21-2007, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Well, my Moto6412 phase 3 comcast box crapped out on me, so I brought it to the office to return it. They said they have no HDMI versions and I got the DVI version, and boy does this box suck. How the hell can they not have any new boxes? What happens with new customers? They apparently gave me a box someone else returned cause this box takes about 10 seconds to respond to each button push, the DVR can't record an hour show in one shot (it splits it up into about 5 different parts), when playing back the DVR it crashes within a minute, and the output is at least twice as noisy as the old box. Comcast here is really starting to piss me off, with this crappy box and with the whole HSI debacle.

I'd take it back and get another one. I used to have a DVI version of the 6412 as well and one morning it just crapped out on me (bad firmware upgrade methinks) so I had it replaced with a phase III box.

While both boxes have brain dead user interfaces I didn't find the response time of the older box any slower than that of the new box. And while the user interface is painful it was/is reliable for me.

I think you got another bum box. HSI is still a problem as far as stability is concerned. I've got great signal but I lose at least downstream for 15-20 seconds at a time at random times. That makes it hard to play games online especially ones where the server doesn't handle it gracefully. I imagine people wondered why I would keep running out into the middle of a sniper map on Day of Defeat when it means certain death.
post #800 of 3320 Old 01-21-2007, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

IIRC, when I had the DVI version I used the component cables because the SD channels looked better that way. You might want to try that in the meantime. And just to pile on for a sec, I have noticed a decrease in PQ via Comcast over the past month. It's most noticeable on the SD channels.

Today's NBA game on ABC (WATM-DT) is supposed to be HD, but so far it has been 4:3 stretch. Is there a number to call to inform them of the problem?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #801 of 3320 Old 01-22-2007, 11:03 AM

From reading posts here, it sounds like some of you who are Comcast subs are also tuning in OTA HD or digital feeds. This seems like a really silly question since it doesn't make any economic sense from their perspective, but what the heck- Does Comcast have a set top HD box that will accept an antenna feed? I have the Moto original HD box (maybe the 6208, not sure) but it does not have an antenna in. I would ask this question of Comcast, but I wanted an actual answer and not CSR BS..
post #802 of 3320 Old 01-22-2007, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

AFAIK they only have Moto 6412 boxes at the State College office. I was in a few weeks to check if they had the SA8300 and they said they didn't. I know the 6412 doesn't have antenna in though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #803 of 3320 Old 01-23-2007, 12:18 PM

I currently have Directv. I have a cheap OTA antenna but I plan to get a new one. Below is what I get on antennaweb.org. What do you suggest as a good indoor OTA HD antenna? Any suggestions?

* green - uhf WKBS-DT 47.1 CTV ALTOONA PA 354° 5.0 46
* green - uhf WATM-DT 23.1 ABC ALTOONA PA 352° 4.9 24
red - uhf W41CF 41 TBN ALTOONA PA 351° 4.7 41
red - vhf WTAJ 10 CBS ALTOONA PA 353° 4.8 10
* red - uhf WTAJ-DT 10.1 CBS ALTOONA PA 353° 4.8 32
red - uhf WATM 23 ABC ALTOONA PA 352° 4.9 23
blue - uhf WKBS 47 CTV ALTOONA PA 354° 5.0 47
violet - vhf WPSU 3 PBS CLEARFIELD PA 8° 42.9 3
violet - vhf WJAC 6 NBC JOHNSTOWN PA 263° 31.2 6
post #804 of 3320 Old 01-23-2007, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheels4025 View Post

I currently have Directv. I have a cheap OTA antenna but I plan to get a new one. Below is what I get on antennaweb.org. What do you suggest as a good indoor OTA HD antenna? Any suggestions?

Where are you located? The antennaweb stuff really doesn't tell us much as it can be wildly inaccurate. I'm guessing you're near a line between Clearfield and Altoona and located just north of Altoona. If that's the case your hardest to get channels will be WJAC (34) and WWCP (29 for now) and WPSU (15). I'm not sure where WPSU stands with their Altoona transmitter. I would think a 4-bay or $20 Radio Shack yagi would work ok without a preamp unless you've got obstructions to deal with. The problem is you don't want to overdrive your receiver with WTAJ/WATM but you need to retain some sensitivity to try to receive WJAC-DT.

What are you using now and why are you looking to replace it?
post #805 of 3320 Old 01-23-2007, 06:28 PM

I actually live in Altoona. I have an antenna from Radio Shack. Some days it seems to work and then other days it doesn't. I am just looking for consistency. So if you get a amplified antenna you could cause the near stations to fade out because off being overpowered?
post #806 of 3320 Old 01-24-2007, 05:57 AM

Quote:

Don't hold your breath, but DirecTV has "almost" promised Locals in HD sometime this year. We are in DMA No. 98 and I think D* is now providing close to 50 DMA's with Locals in HD. The DirecTV 10 and 11 satellites should be launched and in position to provide "many" Local HD's by the end of 2007 - this will require the 5 LNB dish from DirecTV.

Disclaimer: As you probably know - a promise from DirecTV can be something that just doesn't happen for various reasons. In this case the most obvious would be a launch malfunction.

As to your "indoor" antenna question, I have found that the cheapest - a Zenith sellout special ($14) from Circuit City in State College - has worked best for me, but by no means would it pick up all that you're mentioning.

Fred
post #807 of 3320 Old 01-24-2007, 06:01 AM

I am also here to get some guidance on antenna help. I was at Radio Shack last night and looked at what they had regarding HD antennas. I ended up purchasing this one which was on clearance which is supposed to attached to your Dish which is what I get my services from. I might not be able to get up on my roof depending on the weather and snow here in the next few days. I'm already considering taking it back.

After seeing some recent posts I'm here to ask what is the best thing to get??? Brands and size is what I"m really looking for. I'm in State College in the Houserville area. I've got a bit of a rise on the hill but my view is not above the stadium. So can people who have an antenna which they like guide me where to get one (either local retailer or on-line and something that is not huge.) I'm willing to clamber up on my roof to install it on my chimney if its going to get me more channels. I just got a new 65" Hitachi last weekend some I'm itching to see some HDTV on it.

As an aside, if I do get an antenna which is outside do I need a special chimney mount or can I get away with just strapping it?

Okay lots of questions and I hope you can help me out.

Cheers,
Nick
post #808 of 3320 Old 01-24-2007, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I am just looking for consistency. So if you get a amplified antenna you could cause the near stations to fade out because off being overpowered?

First, what kind of antenna do you have now?

Next, yes it is certainly possible to overdrive or desense your receiver with high powered local stations. It might be possible for you to get a 4-bay or yagi and point it towards Johnstown and get WWCP/WJAC and keep WTAJ/WATM in one of the lobes so you don't have that happen.

About the only way to know for sure would be to try it out. If you buy the $20 UHF yagi at Radio Shack you should be able to return it if you don't get what you want out of it, especially if you don't damage it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeekDowns View Post

I ended up purchasing this one which was on clearance which is supposed to attached to your Dish which is what I get my services from. I might not be able to get up on my roof depending on the weather and snow here in the next few days. I'm already considering taking it back.

I would return that. My parents gave one of those a try and it hardly works, in my opinion. You're going to be in a bit of a tough area. I've tried to receive WATM/WTAJ over the air in the "Black" tailgating lots just down Park Avenue from the stadium and I just couldn't get enough signal.

Do you have a preamp? Until WJAC gets their translator online in State College a preamp will be required to bring in their signal. If you are willing to settle for WTAJ/WATM/WPSU for now you might get away without a preamp but I can't say for sure.

If you want to try I have one of the $20 radio shack yagis and a Triax Unix 100A high gain yagi that you can try out. I'm interested in selling the Triax but not looking to push it.
post #809 of 3320 Old 01-24-2007, 07:51 AM

Slykens:

I would be very interested in your antennas. What do you recommend regarding a preamp? I think I would be very interested in the Triax Unix 100A. I would love to get WJAC in HD but its not a deal breaker for me. I have to be honest but I don't even know how to hook up my tv yet for HD!!! I'm not sure if I can hook up the antenna thru my Dish Network reciever (625). So this is a great site for me to figure out what is the best options for me. Let me know about prices etc. on your antenna (wgu5227 at yahoo).

Cheers,
Nick
post #810 of 3320 Old 01-24-2007, 08:05 AM

Here is what I think I have...well looks exactly like it.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

Maybe I just need to play around with it.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page