Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 3319 Old 01-24-2007, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheels4025 View Post

Maybe I just need to play around with it.

That should get WATM/WTAJ pretty reliably for you but I'd suggest getting an external antenna out on your roof and see how that works. Even just to get someone to hold it while you check signal levels, etc. Would be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeekDowns View Post

What do you recommend regarding a preamp?

The Channel Master 777x series is one of the best without getting into a GasFET preamp. I have a CM7777 which includes a switchable discrete VHF input. They are available from many places on the internet for around $70.

I'll send you an email about the antennae I have but so others know I'm looking for $50 for the Triax.

I hope tinyiota will chime in here with some input as well, if he's around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 3319 Old 01-24-2007, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
WTAJ's digital signal remapped to 32.3 (from 10.2) earlier today.
It would appear their engineers are getting closer to firing up the HD service!

As they say, "stay tuned."

ÂOne of the few good things about modern times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us.Â
- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #813 of 3319 Old 01-24-2007, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slykens View Post

I hope tinyiota will chime in here with some input as well, if he's around.

Who? Me?

Look for post number 437 on page 15 of this thread.

I helped a friend set up a RS yagi on top of his house in houserville using chimney straps. It works just fine. With an amp, WATM and WTAJ (24, 32) and WPSU (15) should work. We got a couple hits from WJAC (34) but nothing usable. Houserville is too far down in the valley to see the WJAC transmitter. I suspect that when they bring up their translator, it should be possible to get WJAC from Houserville as well.

It was not possible to get anything from inside the house. We had to go outside before we could get a useful signal.
post #814 of 3319 Old 01-24-2007, 10:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_MainyYak View Post

WTAJ's digital signal remapped to 32.3 (from 10.2) earlier today.
It would appear their engineers are getting closer to firing up the HD service!

As they say, "stay tuned."

This is great!

I have to give D&E Communications credit (along with WTAJ). For the second year, D&E is piping the new HD channel through in time for the Superbowl. See screenshots I took below:

EDIT:

Just noticed while rescanning for the D&E lineup that they are feeding WJAC-DT through now. NBC HD, Weatherplus channel and NBC SD are mapped to 104.13, 104.14, and 104.15 respectively.

Right now WTAJ-DT is mapped to 32.3 OTA (as mentioned by PA_MainyYak) and 104.3 on D&E.
post #815 of 3319 Old 01-25-2007, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferadam View Post

Just noticed while rescanning for the D&E lineup that they are feeding WJAC-DT through now. NBC HD, Weatherplus channel and NBC SD are mapped to 104.13, 104.14, and 104.15 respectively.

Hey, your TV has a smudge on it!

I will update the first page of the thread but this is great news from D&E. I have to admit to being surprised that they're pushing to get the local broadcast channels on in HD when they don't have an HD tier or offer any HD cable nets. I suppose any HD is good. Does it appear that the channel is already built and they're just passing the slides in place of it? Comcast doesn't appear to have the channel built yet but that doesn't mean they won't have it up at launch.

PLEASE POST WHEN/WHERE/WHO YOUR CABLE COMPANY PASSES WTAJ-HD SO THAT THE SUMMARY POST MAY BE UPDATED! THANK YOU!
post #816 of 3319 Old 01-25-2007, 05:53 AM

Tinyiota:

On a lark last night I just hooked up a pair of 1970 rabbit ears to an amp and ran it to my basement HD tv. Shockingly I was able to get the PBS 3.1, 3.2 & 3.3 the first 2 looked pretty good while the third was obviously not in HD. Now I did find an echo of WJAC on 7 but that was it. That being said I'm hoping Slykens might want to sell me his antenna because with the impending news of WTAJ going HD I would love to watch the Super Bowl in HD if I can get it. I have a Channel Master amp that might suit my needs for the time being but I beleive clambering up on my roof and attaching a real antenna might help alot. You had mentioned you had used chimney straps....is this something I can just get at Lowe's or do I need one of those kits?

Cheers,
Nick
post #817 of 3319 Old 01-25-2007, 06:12 AM

Quote:

Tinyiota:

On a lark last night I just hooked up a pair of 1970 rabbit ears to an amp and ran it to my basement HD tv. Shockingly I was able to get the PBS 3.1, 3.2 & 3.3 the first 2 looked pretty good while the third was obviously not in HD. Now I did find an echo of WJAC on 7 but that was it. That being said I'm hoping Slykens might want to sell me his antenna because with the impending news of WTAJ going HD I would love to watch the Super Bowl in HD if I can get it. I have a Channel Master amp that might suit my needs for the time being but I beleive clambering up on my roof and attaching a real antenna might help alot. You had mentioned you had used chimney straps....is this something I can just get at Lowe's or do I need one of those kits?

Cheers,
Nick

NeeksDowns,

Do you have Comcast? Even just with basic cable the HD local channels are in the free and clear. Just do a full digital scan with your TV's HD tuner on cable and you should be able to get the local stations that have gone HD.

WPSU (PBS) - 111.5
WATM (ABC) - 114.3
WJAC (NBC) - 84.2

WTAJ (CBS) - ???

When they start broadcasting, I am sure Comcast will have the station PDQ. I will post the channel info when it becomes available.

I am not suggesting that you don't get an outside antenna (I have one myself, with a rotor and a pre-amp), I just letting you know that local cable does carry the local HD signals in the clear for no additional money on your part.

As an FYI, the signal for WPSU-HD/DT OTA (15.X translated to 3.X) is so strong in this area, that you can pick it up with just a long (8ft) piece of coax cable.
post #818 of 3319 Old 01-25-2007, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I have a Channel Master amp that might suit my needs for the time being but I beleive clambering up on my roof and attaching a real antenna might help alot. You had mentioned you had used chimney straps....is this something I can just get at Lowe's or do I need one of those kits?

I've got no problem with you buying the antenna, I'd like to see you test them first to see which one works best for you.

As for the straps, Radio Shack makes a kit and you can buy 10' mast there as well.

I'm sure others will have input as well but when you put the straps up take your time when folding over the strap on the buckle and then get some weather resistant PVC tape and wrap it as well. This will help to keep it held firm.

What kind of channel master amp do you have? Is it a split unit, that is to say does it have an outdoor portion and an indoor power injector?
post #819 of 3319 Old 01-25-2007, 07:15 AM

Is this morning Altoona Mirror their is an ad announcing "HDTV coming soon to WTAJ-DT"
post #820 of 3319 Old 01-25-2007, 07:44 AM

Winkydinky I am a Dish Network guy and am going to stick with them despite all the things they are losing to Direct TV at this point. I really don't feel like I want to even put in a basic package of Comcast because I know within a few years hopefully Dish will move to HD locals.

Slykens, as far as my amp is concerned its nothing special it has one input with 4 outputs. It is rather old and might not be as good as some of the other possibilties out there right now. Speaking of Dish I was looking at my reciever last night and I have a 625 which is not HD but does have a OTA cable in. Do you think this has an integrated amp? If not you had metioned a Channel Master 777* series? I don't want to spend a ton on a rig since its only going to be temporary. Where can I get one? Online or is there a B&M in town that would be a good place to go?

Thanks so much for the info guys...very helpful!

Cheers,
Nick
post #821 of 3319 Old 01-25-2007, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hey, your TV has a smudge on it!

Does it appear that the channel is already built and they're just passing the slides in place of it?

I think they are in the process of building it. As the info piece indicates it should be mapped as 10.3 at launch. Currently it is on 104.3. The info is on the D&E info channel, NTSC channel 19. Currently WTAJ-DT is still only WTAJ-SD. I guess once they build it, WTAJ-DT will be WTAJ-HD and WTAJ-SD? CBS doesn't usually do any other subchannels like Weatherplus do they?

BTW, regarding the antenna issue, I have had good results with the Winegard Sharpshooter 3000 in my downtown apartment. It's a bit pricey but it does the job. I get WPSU-DT, WTAJ-DT, and WATM-DT with it. I don't think I would be able to get WJAC-DT at my location with anything because of all the buildings and trees surrounding me. I have it located on my indoor atrium balcony facing the small bit of open sky I can see. Specifically it is pointing south-southwest.
post #822 of 3319 Old 01-25-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:

CBS doesn't usually do any other subchannels like Weatherplus do they?

CBS (atleast KDKA in pittsburgh) does not broadcast a subchannel . I feel that subchannels really degrade PQ and result in massive amounts of macroblocking( thats you NBC!!! with your stupid weather plus )

Is there any feel if comcast will carry fox with fiber? I may say something when i exchange my HD STB for a HD DVR STB.
post #823 of 3319 Old 01-25-2007, 05:19 PM

Quote:

Tinyiota:

Cheers,
Nick

As slykens said, we got the chimney straps and mounting pole at Radio Shack with the antenna.

If you use straps, make sure you wear gloves when you handle them they're very thin and can slice up your hands if you're not careful.

If you don't feel like going up on the roof, you might be able to get a passable signal at ground level. Assuming you don't mind having the antenna in your yard until it gets warmer out.
post #824 of 3319 Old 01-26-2007, 05:29 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I saw a commercial saying CBS will be in HD before the Superbowl for camcast! I'm giggling with anticipation, and I'm not a giggler.
post #825 of 3319 Old 01-26-2007, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by antman006 View Post

I saw a commercial saying CBS will be in HD before the Superbowl for camcast! I'm giggling with anticipation, and I'm not a giggler.

Yeah, I saw WTAJ's CBS promo as well after the news last night. It looks like the new owners are making a fair investment in their property as it looks like they've upgraded their Chyron (or whatever device they may have for graphics), changed music for the news, and are (obviously) going HD. I thought WWCP/WATM has the exclusive with Accuweather for our region but it appears WTAJ has that now as well, I would assume it comes from the new owners as well. I know Kathy Smith had mentioned they'd really like a new news set a year ago so we'll have to see if that appears in the near future too. I had not realized that Nextstar was publicly traded but they showed a slide at the end of the news with their name and symbol on it.
post #826 of 3319 Old 01-26-2007, 06:40 AM

In this mornings Altoona Mirror, WTAJ has a news article in the business section. It is 5 paragraphs longs but basically says they will be broadcasting in time for the Super Bowl. It states: "The station expects to broadcast high definition television by Feb 1."
post #827 of 3319 Old 01-26-2007, 07:31 AM

The WTAJ Web site reads:

Quote:

We are broadcasting full power HDTV on channel 32. We are passing the CBS network HDTV onto you and are up-converting our local programming. Enjoy...

post #828 of 3319 Old 01-26-2007, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Yeah, I saw WTAJ's CBS promo as well after the news last night. It looks like the new owners are making a fair investment in their property as it looks like they've upgraded their Chyron (or whatever device they may have for graphics), changed music for the news, and are (obviously) going HD. I thought WWCP/WATM has the exclusive with Accuweather for our region but it appears WTAJ has that now as well, I would assume it comes from the new owners as well. I know Kathy Smith had mentioned they'd really like a new news set a year ago so we'll have to see if that appears in the near future too. I had not realized that Nextstar was publicly traded but they showed a slide at the end of the news with their name and symbol on it.

Kudos to WTAJ! It should be noted that Nextstar has not been quite as quick to pull the trigger on HD in other markets, so this is extremely encouraging.
As for the Accuweather question: Accuweather is exclusive to one station (group) in a given market. WJAC bought the rights to use Accuweather in the early 1980s [when I occasionally did the on-air weather reporting], and then in 1998 or '99 became one of the few TV stations to drop the afflilation. It was some time later that WWCP/WATM picked it up, and now WTAJ has purchased the rights. I believe Accuweather wanted to go with WTAJ when WJAC dropped the ball, but were not able to work out a deal at that time. In any case, it's an excellent addition as WTAJ and WJAC continue to outwit, outlast, and outplay each other in the ratings wars.
Nextstar http://www.nexstar.tv/ owns 32 small and medium market TV stations, and has local service agreements with 17 others.

ÂOne of the few good things about modern times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us.Â
- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #829 of 3319 Old 01-26-2007, 09:09 AM

I did a channel scan on my TV for OTA and the results are as follows

1) Digital for channel 10 is now on at 32.1 (not remapped to 10.1 yet)
2) 32.1 is 480i, 4:3 aspect ratio

In otherwords at the moment 32.1 is still the standard def digital (the same as 32.2/10.2 was before).

I do not know if they are premature with their announcement or if 32.1 is it. If it is then they are definitely not HD yet (480i is not 720p or 1080i). I do not know if they will broadcast 480i for standard def TV shows and 720p/1080i (no sure which one CBS uses) for HD or if they will truely be HD all the time with side bars (like NBC-HD and ESPN-HD use).

Time will tell.
post #830 of 3319 Old 01-26-2007, 09:54 AM

Is anyone else experiencing problems with NBC-HD on Comcast? I have not received a signal for this channel for over a day. I normally get the channel on 84.2 using my TV tuner.

Thanks
post #831 of 3319 Old 01-26-2007, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePa50 View Post

Is anyone else experiencing problems with NBC-HD on Comcast? I have not received a signal for this channel for over a day. I normally get the channel on 84.2 using my TV tuner.

Thanks

I am having the same problem no 84.2 (NBC-HD). Anybody have any ideas.
post #832 of 3319 Old 01-26-2007, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

I recommend rescanning. I have been watching what D&E has been doing the past couple of days. They have moved WJAC-DT around twice with it now having settled on 6.1,6.2,and 6.3.
Your troubles are probably indication that Comcast is also working to add WTAJ-DT to their lineup.
post #833 of 3319 Old 01-26-2007, 10:55 AM

Wouldn't it be a lot less stressful for us techno geeks if folks like Comcast would publish some sort of guide/plan for their HD future? But then all this anticipation of who will be HD when would go away and we would all be bored. Maybe they don't really have a plan- no!!
post #834 of 3319 Old 01-26-2007, 01:22 PM

Ok all - I have been reading the posts with interest and now it is my turn to step in and ask for help!!! Situation is this - we have DirecTV with HD service. Obviously, we get no locals in HD and EVERY STATION turned us down when we applied for waivers to get JUST the HD feeds from NY area.

That said, I see now that WTAJ is going to be broadcasting in HD. My question is this - what do I need to do, antenna-wise, to begin to get some of the OTA stations everyone is talking about? I live on top of the hill by Keith Jr High in Altoona so that should give the ones in the know a clue as to whether or not I can get these stations on OTA.

Please tell me what I need to get in order to get the stations and how to go about doing it. I am newbie at this so please bear with me. I assume I just plug the cable from the antenna into the back of my DirecTV Receiver- but what do I need to do from there? Will a small indoor antenna get these stations?

All and any help is appreciated as I would LOVE to be watching the Super Bowl in HD by the time it rolls around!!! Fire away.....
post #835 of 3319 Old 01-26-2007, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUPOZ31 View Post

That said, I see now that WTAJ is going to be broadcasting in HD. My question is this - what do I need to do, antenna-wise, to begin to get some of the OTA stations everyone is talking about? I live on top of the hill by Keith Jr High in Altoona so that should give the ones in the know a clue as to whether or not I can get these stations on OTA.

My bet would be that even with a simple bow-tie antenna you'd get WATM and WTAJ in digital/HD. If you want WPSU or WJAC you'll need an external antenna on your roof, probably a yagi of some sort/size and a preamp could be necessary too to pick up WJAC from Johnstown.

You might even be able to get about 12 inches of wire and stick it in the antenna connector on your receiver and pick up WTAJ or WATM as the transmitters are on Wopsy and putting out a ton of power.
post #836 of 3319 Old 01-26-2007, 03:23 PM

Quote:

My bet would be that even with a simple bow-tie antenna you'd get WATM and WTAJ in digital/HD. If you want WPSU or WJAC you'll need an external antenna on your roof, probably a yagi of some sort/size and a preamp could be necessary too to pick up WJAC from Johnstown.

You might even be able to get about 12 inches of wire and stick it in the antenna connector on your receiver and pick up WTAJ or WATM as the transmitters are on Wopsy and putting out a ton of power.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

Just slap "HDTV" on some 1950s era technology and you can keep selling it 60 years later..

PSUPOZ31,
I'm guessing your TV doesn't have 300-ohm inputs. You'll have to also get a transformer, which will convert the 2 lead ribbon cable to a "F" connector that will connect to the antenna port on your DirecTV box.

If that doesn't work, there are other un-amplified and amplified options at Radio Shack.

You may also run into problems on the D* side if you have one of the new non-Tivo DVRs.
The HR20 DVR does not have updated channel information for the Digital Locals (particularly the WWCP subchannel on 24 and the new WTAJ changes) and unlike the HD Tivo and H20, You can not manually configure it. If you have one of the HR20s you'll have to call D* and complain to them that they need to update their channel info for the Johnstown/Altoona market. Hopefully they'll make the updates quickly.
post #837 of 3319 Old 01-26-2007, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Something's up.

Looks like WTAJ-DT went offline at 6:42p after a few glitches. I'm hoping when it comes back up it will be in HD.

Edit: It's back online now but the PSIP that was being transmitted for a minute is gone. 6:46p

Edit: PSIP back up 6:51p
post #838 of 3319 Old 01-26-2007, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, still just WTAJ-SD on 32.1 OTA for me. Wonder if they are having problems. I thought they would have gotten WTAJ-HD on sometime today during normal working hours. Granted this is all based on my assumption the D&E announcement of it going online today is accurate.

EDIT: Wait, just went offline for me too but signal is still plenty strong so maybe they are playing with things right now.
post #839 of 3319 Old 01-26-2007, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

WTAJ-SD is remapped to 32.3 OTA as of 6:55pm.
post #840 of 3319 Old 01-26-2007, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferadam View Post

WTAJ-SD is remapped to 32.3 OTA as of 6:55pm.

I'm still seeing 480i mapped as 10.1 here. Rescanned and it shows the same.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page