Johnstown, PA - HDTV - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 3320 Old 01-30-2007, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am a fan of how pioneering HDNet is with content and their great PQ. However, I feel they're content is not in my interests (except for arrested development). I certainly don't wan't less HD, but I think TNT is a good replacement because it has Law Order, NBA, and really good movies on the weekend(Matrix, LOTR, etc). Comcast best be adding CBS and FOX soon. I can't stand not being able to watch 24 in HD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 3320 Old 01-30-2007, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyvenki View Post

I am a fan of how pioneering HDNet is with content and their great PQ. However, I feel they're content is not in my interests (except for arrested development). I certainly don't wan't less HD, but I think TNT is a good replacement because it has Law Order, NBA, and really good movies on the weekend(Matrix, LOTR, etc). Comcast best be adding CBS and FOX soon. I can't stand not being able to watch 24 in HD.

For what it's worth, TNT-HD is usually a stretched version of the SD on regular TNT. The SAG Awards show the other night was just such an example. Just awful. OTOH, the live sports are generally pretty good.

ÂOne of the few good things about modern times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us.Â
- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #903 of 3320 Old 01-30-2007, 04:51 PM

Its not just stretched, but Pan-O-stretch, or whatever they call it to "maintain" aspect ratio in the middle of the screen. I find TNT-HD unwatchable when they stretch the image of SD content like this and switch to the normal channel.
post #904 of 3320 Old 01-30-2007, 05:43 PM

Just curious if anyone else had their HD/DVR Equipment charge go up to $16.95? I only have one HD/DVR box...that's it (no other boxes in my home). My total bill went up about $15(+$8 to the hd/dvr charges, +$7 to my video services package), which I'm not exactly happy about. I was at the Comcast office today and asked them about it, and the girl said that the announcement sheet with all of the price changes from a month or so ago has the wrong information on it and that "another office sent it out without their permission".

If talk about prices, etc isn't allowed on here, I apologize. Just curious if anyone else's charges went up that much.

Thanks,

Jon
post #905 of 3320 Old 01-30-2007, 06:01 PM

[quote=jef152psu]Just curious if anyone else had their HD/DVR Equipment charge go up to $16.95? I only have one HD/DVR box...that's it (no other boxes in my home). My total bill went up about $15(+$8 to the hd/dvr charges, +$7 to my video services package), which I'm not exactly happy about. I was at the Comcast office today and asked them about it, and the girl said that the announcement sheet with all of the price changes from a month or so ago has the wrong information on it and that "another office sent it out without their permission".

What you are talking about is the reason I gave Comcast the boot. My bill was going up $27 for 1 HD/DVR box and the ultimate package. I said the heck with that and I switched to E*. My $.02
post #906 of 3320 Old 01-30-2007, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

It had been some time since I tried to watch WJAC with my receiver on digital input from the DVR but it appears that WJAC is passing DD5.1 now. I apologize to WJAC for stating that WTAJ was the first commercial broadcaster in the market to pass DD5.1, although I have no idea when they started to but it is GOOD news.
post #907 of 3320 Old 01-30-2007, 06:08 PM

jef152psu,

I have two HD/DVR units and my bill also went up - close to $30. Well, I can't get rid of our second DVR now that the wife is hooked and I'm used to having the HD in the bedroom. So as a stop gap I asked about the deal that they have going on now (was mentioned a few pages back) and that got me $15 less than what I was paying before the hike + Starz/Encore. In 60 days it will go back up to my previous bill and in a year will go back up to the current structure. By then I'm sure that something else will come up.

JayPo
ThePolettos.com
post #908 of 3320 Old 01-31-2007, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jef152psu View Post

Just curious if anyone else had their HD/DVR Equipment charge go up to $16.95?

Talk about price increases, my bill went through the roof. I have had 2 HD/DVr's for the longest time. About a month before Christmas I upgraded the bedroom TV to a plasma unit and added a DVR. Then the kids got an HD tv for their playroom for Christmas so I added a 4th DVR.

Comcast jacked their 2nd plus pricing structure for DVR's from $12.95 or so to $22 each unit. Throw on top of that a price increase on my internet access and a price increase on HBO and I now am seeking a second mortgage on the house to be able to afford my cable each month.
post #909 of 3320 Old 01-31-2007, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slykens View Post

It had been some time since I tried to watch WJAC with my receiver on digital input from the DVR but it appears that WJAC is passing DD5.1 now. I apologize to WJAC for stating that WTAJ was the first commercial broadcaster in the market to pass DD5.1, although I have no idea when they started to but it is GOOD news.

I noticed this change about a week or 2 ago. Their first reply to my question on this said they hoped to begin transmitting by mid-year last year. A follow up to them put the date at the end of '06. Looks like they made it the 2nd time around!

Not sure but it looks like they might have 5.1 going all the time. It has been there every time I have checked.
post #910 of 3320 Old 01-31-2007, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanPSUpa View Post

I emailed Bob Heisse, the editor at the CDT with the pertinent information...I will let you know if I get any respobnse.

DD

Since I dropped the CDT except on weekends (would rather funnel my money to HD!) would someone be kind enough to summarize if an article is printed?
post #911 of 3320 Old 01-31-2007, 03:14 PM

Quote:

Thanks! I watch WJAC-HD quite a bit and was unaware of this 5.1 development. Just checked and sure enough the blue 5.1 light is on from my digital audio Sony receiver. I'd say it can't be more than a couple days, so you have most likely been correct all along.

Fred
post #912 of 3320 Old 01-31-2007, 05:07 PM

does WTAJ-HD sound wierd, yesterday and today.
post #913 of 3320 Old 01-31-2007, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clgberg View Post

Since I dropped the CDT except on weekends (would rather funnel my money to HD!) would someone be kind enough to summarize if an article is printed?

I never heard anything back from Bob Heisse...I'll write him again tomorrow.

Fearing the worst, I decided to try a amplified RCA rabbbit ears antenna set I've had for awhile.

I was able to get WTAJ over the air with ease. While my Samsung plasma doesn't give a numeric signal strength number, it says I have 3 out of 5 bars of signal in Spring Township, near Bellefonte (right off the Benner Pike, down the hill a bit from Colony Lodge Motel).

I also get WPSX very well, too.

While I hope Comcast and Nexstar come to an agreement, if they don't I'll still be able to enjoy the Big Game in HD.

DD
post #914 of 3320 Old 01-31-2007, 07:37 PM

Quote:

While I hope Comcast and Nexstar come to an agreement, if they don't I'll still be able to enjoy the Big Game in HD.

DD

http://www.wbre.com/cable_adams.asp

Nexstar has a history of hardball negotiating when it comes to retransmission agreements..

http://www.answers.com/topic/nexstar...ting-group-inc

Long article under the stock info, but it's worth reading to get to know the company.
post #915 of 3320 Old 01-31-2007, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyiota View Post

Nexstar has a history of hardball negotiating when it comes to retransmission agreements..

They also seem to assimilate other stations in the market through "shared facilities" agreements. It will be interesting to see if/how they try that in this market.

Nexstar's history makes D&E's immediate carriage very curious then. Did D&E agree to pony up even though they don't really push HD or did Nexstar let them have it knowing they don't make any money from passing HD through.

As to other stations in the market, WJAC is effectively owned by Cox and WATM/WWCP already are operated by one group. Not much room to establish further agreements but I don't think I'd be very surprised if it did happen.
post #916 of 3320 Old 01-31-2007, 07:55 PM

Quote:

Nexstar's history makes D&E's immediate carriage very curious then. Did D&E agree to pony up even though they don't really push HD or did Nexstar let them have it knowing they don't make any money from passing HD through.

As to other stations in the market, WJAC is effectively owned by Cox and WATM/WWCP already are operated by one group. Not much room to establish further agreements but I don't think I'd be very surprised if it did happen.

Well, there are a few other networks that don't have a presence in our DMA.. Wouldn't that be cool?
post #917 of 3320 Old 01-31-2007, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyiota View Post

Well, there are a few other networks that don't have a presence in our DMA.. Wouldn't that be cool?

Shhhh... Don't let them think about subchannels.

I did talk to Kathy Smith about that one time, asking about if they had thought about adding UPN as a subchannel and she basically said that it would be somewhat pointless as the cost to add UPN would be nearly equivalent to building a complete second station.

What would make some sense is for WHVL to find themselves an affiliation other than Joe's Backyard TV Network and move up from LP TV to full Class A station. I guess MyNetworkTV or CW are the only choices now, perhaps CW would be best with all the students in town.
post #918 of 3320 Old 02-01-2007, 04:01 AM

Well we are getting down to the wire with regard to the superbowl and CBS-HD provided by COMCAST. Many people that I have talked with at work and around town have been asking the How and Why of CBS-HD (How can I get CBS-HD, and WHY doesn't COMCAST have the channel yet). They are getting pretty edgy.

Here are some observations regarding this topic.

1) Try acquiring the signal Over The Air (OTA) using a simple UHF antenna. The signal is fairly strong. I was able to get a solid picture (no dropouts) using a SIMPLE bow tie antenna (non amplified). I am in State College. Perhaps I am in a sweet spot, reception wise, but it is worth a try.

(Note: I have a Yagi with a rotor and pre-amp on my roof, but experimented with the Bow Tie antenna to see if I could get the signal with a bare bones solution. I was also able to get PBS and ABC/FOX)

2) If you have COMCAST, bypass your Set Top Box (STB) or cablecard and attach your cables COAX to your "cable in" connector. Either do a digital channel scan for cable or directly tune the following. COMCAST is hiding the CBS feed from Wilkes-Barre Scranton (i.e. you can tune it directly but cannot get it from the STB or cablecard).

Tune to 109.3 or 109.5 (it was 109.3 on my SONY and 109.5 on my HP) and you should get WYOU-HD from WB/SC. I am hoping this stays around until at least after Sunday.

3) There IS an echo on the audio for WTAJ (channel 10's) HD feed from the network. It is like a double audio track off by a split second. This echo does not occur on the WYOU-HD feed from WB/SC. I would advise anyone who is hearing this to email WTAJ and make them aware that this is a problem.

4) You could always call COMCAST or stop by the office to see what the holdup is.
post #919 of 3320 Old 02-01-2007, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkydink View Post

2) If you have COMCAST, bypass your Set Top Box (STB) or cablecard and attach your cables COAX to your "cable in" connector. Either do a digital channel scan for cable or directly tune the following. COMCAST is hiding the CBS feed from Wilkes-Barre Scranton (i.e. you can tune it directly but cannot get it from the STB or cablecard).

Tune to 109.3 or 109.5 (it was 109.3 on my SONY and 109.5 on my HP) and you should get WYOU-HD from WB/SC. I am hoping this stays around until at least after Sunday.

Winky...

You need a QAM tuner for this to work, right?
post #920 of 3320 Old 02-01-2007, 05:25 AM

Quote:

Winky...

You need a QAM tuner for this to work, right?

Dean,

You are correct. You use the QAM tuner (hopefully) built into your TV to display the unscrambled (in the clear) digital signal located at 109.5 or 109.3.
post #921 of 3320 Old 02-01-2007, 05:50 AM

Quote:

Well we are getting down to the wire with regard to the superbowl and CBS-HD provided by COMCAST. Many people that I have talked with at work and around town have been asking the How and Why of CBS-HD (How can I get CBS-HD, and WHY doesn't COMCAST have the channel yet). They are getting pretty edgy.

Here are some observations regarding this topic.

...some content snipped...

4) You could always call COMCAST or stop by the office to see what the holdup is.

Well, I tried the email to customer service, SPECIFICALLY ASKING ABOUT WTAJ. You probably don't have to read the following since it is pretty much what we expected to hear:

Comcast is committed to deploying HDTV service. We are working to provide as many high definition channel broadcasters as possible. Here are some of the factors involved with expanding our high definition lineup:

-the negotiation and contract process required to obtain the rights to carry a specific high definition broadcast, such as TNT-HD and HD-Net.

-the increased bandwidth resources which are required

-the relatively low number of subscribers (currently only a small minority of customers have high definition compatible television sets)

We will continue to explore additional HD programming opportunities as more content providers make plans to offer their programming in HD format.

We appreciate the fact that you took the time to let us know what is important to you. We hope to expand our high definition channel lineup as fast as we can. Unfortunately we are unable to provide specific details regarding the launch of new channels at this time, please keep an eye on your monthly billing statement as the announcement of any channel additions will appear on those statements.

Thank you for choosing Comcast.

And thank you Comcast for failing to realize that HD broadcasts, at least out of Canada, have been around since 2000, maybe earlier! We are still "early adopters?!?!"
post #922 of 3320 Old 02-01-2007, 06:20 AM

Quote:

I tried this method and was able to pull in a picture on 109.3. Initially I had it hooked into my "antenna" input, then realized I did not follow winkydink's instuctions to the letter.

Now of course I have my fingers crossed that this holds up through about 10 pm Sunday evening.

winkydink, please tell me how you are all knowing to even be able to try issues like this to help problem solve our Superbowl viewing pleasure? Perhaps you work for the CIA or NSA?
post #923 of 3320 Old 02-01-2007, 06:27 AM

Quote:

Dean,

You are correct. You use the QAM tuner (hopefully) built into your TV to display the unscrambled (in the clear) digital signal located at 109.5 or 109.3.

Unfortunately my Samsung has only an NTSC tuner, not a QAM. But, as I posted earlier, I was able to get the over-the-air signal fine near Bellfonte.

I got a response this morning from Bob Heisse at the CDT. He said he passed my story idea on to his reporters, however, wasn't confident they could get something done in timely fashion.

He indicated that they have as much trouble getting information from Comcast as we customers do.

DD
post #924 of 3320 Old 02-01-2007, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve shisler View Post

I tried this method and was unable to pull in a picture on either 109.3 or 109.5 today. Any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong, or is it possible that they have pulled this off the network?

Steve...are you sure your TV has a QAM tuner?

What kind of TV do you have?

DD
post #925 of 3320 Old 02-01-2007, 06:30 AM

Quote:

Steve...are you sure your TV has a QAM tuner?

What kind of TV do you have?

DD

See above edited post by me.
post #926 of 3320 Old 02-01-2007, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

All this activity surrounding WTAJ-DT is exciting! I will probably run the Comcast cable directly to my TV and try to get WYOU-DT. On Saturday I will make a comparison to WTAJ-DT during the NCAA basketball coverage.

I did encounter the audio sync issues with WTAJ-DT as reported by other members in this thread. It occurred a few nights ago. I haven't had a chance to watch much TV lately so I don't know if it is still a problem.

I don't like the fact we will be losing HDNet and HDNetMovies on Comcast. The PQ of HDNet is great. It makes no sense that I am stuck with a gabillion worthless SD channels and I lose two of the very few HD channels that exist. But I will stay off my ala carte soapbox for now.

BTW, if you didn't catch the golf coverage this past weekend, be sure to check it out next time it is on WTAJ-DT. The PQ was probably the best I have ever seen in a sporting event. It will be interesting to see how the coverage on WJAC-DT compares this weekend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #927 of 3320 Old 02-01-2007, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

I received email this morning from Phil Dubrow, Station Manager and Director of Sales for WTAJ. The email was a reply to the email I had originally sent to Kathy Smith a few weeks ago to confirm their HD plans.

I exchanged email with Mr. Dubrow and have learned that he does not expect Comcast to have WTAJ in HD before Sunday as details still need to be worked out.

He also stated that Kathy Smith no longer works for WTAJ.

So, for all of you folks waiting for WTAJ on Comcast, unless there is an unforeseen act, you'll need to break out the antenna or hope that Comcast keeps WYOU on the wire and you can pick it up with your QAM tuner.

I guess the statement for now is:

PREPARE TO RECEIVE WTAJ OVER THE AIR OR HOPE COMCAST KEEPS WYOU ON THE WIRE AND YOU KNOW HOW TO RECEIVE IT IF YOU WANT TO WATCH THE SUPERBOWL IN HD!
post #928 of 3320 Old 02-01-2007, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBB View Post

I do recall that HDNet and HDNetMovies will no longer be offered (not a surprise, I suppose, although disappointing since I've grown fond of the channels). Comcast SportsNetHD will be added as well as TNT HD and the split Versus/Golf HD channel.

That'd be a major letdown. HDNet and HDNetMovies are about the best things Comcast has going in their HD package outside of the local stations and ESPN. I don't watch TNT as it is, and golf??? I think HDNet has more NHL games in HD than Versus does.
post #929 of 3320 Old 02-01-2007, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the update. WTAJ-DT comes in at the last minute and delivers the Superbowl in HD but Comcast won't fork out the cash and the majority of the area will go from having had the Superbowl in HD last year to having nasty SD this year. Good job, Comcast.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #930 of 3320 Old 02-01-2007, 09:50 AM

With all this Comcast love, I feel bad mentioning this ... Yesterday's Wall Street Journal reported on the newspaper's corporate reputation survey. Of the sixty companies in the survey, Comcast came in 58th. The two companies it beat? Exxon and Halliburton!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page