Quit your b*tching JoeBB

lol lol lol lol
post #1083 of 3336 Old 03-06-2007, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New lineup looks good to me. CSN and Vs. both have HD hockey on. I have never watched hockey, but since it is is HD I tuned in for a while.
post #1084 of 3336 Old 03-06-2007, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Comcast DVR subs should check their recording settings.

For the most part mine changed over properly but it looks like everything that was set for WATM-HD (723) was changed to analog. I went back through and reset it all to WATM-HD (231).

I agree it is very frustrating that WWCP-HD hasn't been picked up yet. Perhaps a stop at the office and some questions are in order.
post #1085 of 3336 Old 03-06-2007, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBB View Post

So the Comcast HD channels are revamped, still no CBS or FOX, and no more HDNet or HDNetMovies... I knew it was coming, but I'm still bitter!

Smallville, Enterprise, Deadline! (Katie Daryl), and Space Shuttle launches were just incredible! Not to mention the political coverage on HDNet that was so poorly produced it became fun to watch (anybody see the coverage with Dan Rather and another analyst after the State of the Union address?). Oh, well.......

A bit of sarcasm here?

Honestly though, I tought it was nice that we were able to get the State of the Union Address in HD, hard to believe there was a pool HD feed and none of the other networks bothered with it. The last thing I watched last night was Enterprise ... the HD preview of the 1st season finale that I guess I won't see ... well, OK, I suppose I can wait for SciFi to catch up and watch it in SD. Then again, watching the shuttle take off once in HD was probably enough for me.

I went through the new channels and was underwhelmed. IMHO, the movies on HDNet Movies were great! I spent all Saturday morning watching them, they had a good combo of good classics (The Magnificent Seven, Breakfast at Tiffanys, bunch of Clint Eastwood classics, etc.) and off the beaten path current flicks (Lost in the Translation, The World's Fastest Indian, etc.) that I like to see but probably wouldn't have gone out to rent. I went through the next few days on TNT HD and Universal HD in the guide and the best thing I could find was Northern Exposure, but honestly, I'm not about to start watching that again just to see it in HD. Maybe some ER or Law & Order rerun fanatic will be happy. I didn't see one movie worth watching.

Comcast SportsNet is good newsfor people who like Philly sports, but I doubt I'll ever watch it.

IMHO, for what Comcast is paying/wasting on the NFL Network alone, ... I mean wow, reruns of NFL games and cheerleader tryouts most of which aren't in HD anyhow ... we could probably keep both HDNet channels and get even more channels.

Is "HDMEV" actually INHD? At least that's what's on there tonight?

Any changes to what you can pick up on Comcast over Clear QAM? I think I've finally found a tuner to get and drop the Comcast Digital package.
post #1086 of 3336 Old 03-06-2007, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferadam View Post

New lineup looks good to me. CSN and Vs. both have HD hockey on. I have never watched hockey, but since it is is HD I tuned in for a while.

HDNet had hockey on all season. Somewhere back in this thread, I checked and HDNet and Versus have fairly comparable NHL coverage.

Comcast owns Versus/Golf as well as, obviously, Comcast Sports Net so no big surprise that we're getting them.
post #1087 of 3336 Old 03-06-2007, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

UHD is replaying the final round of the golf in HD from this past weekend. I would say I am pretty satisfied with the switch. I think the switch benefits sports watchers more than movie/TV show watchers. Yeah, I liked HDNet and HDNetMovies, but IMHO this is a fair trade. I believe all four of the big networks picked up the State of the Union in HD this year. I recall HDBeat having a nice post about the comparison of broadcasters.

There seems to be a number of changes in the analog lineup too. I just saw a channel called Retroplex and another called Indieplex that I don't recall having before.

EDIT: Wow...guess what. The NBA game on INHD is NOT blacked out. Apparently whatever blackout was in place for the whole season from Adelphia is gone now. This is just icing on the cake!!!
post #1088 of 3336 Old 03-06-2007, 08:24 PM

Quote:

EDIT: Wow...guess what. The NBA game on INHD is NOT blacked out. Apparently whatever blackout was in place for the whole season from Adelphia is gone now. This is just icing on the cake!!!

From what I can tell here, this is a screw up of some kind. The program guide isn't listing INHD. I can't remember what that lineup in the CDT said, but I'm guessing that INHD is about to get dropped for some other channel, HDMEV, whatever that stands for.
post #1089 of 3336 Old 03-06-2007, 08:32 PM

A little more digging around has this HDMEV sounding like an HD channel for PPV sporting events. If they'd only leave INHD on there the rest of the time, but I'm not optimistic.
post #1090 of 3336 Old 03-06-2007, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

A little more digging around has this HDMEV sounding like an HD channel for PPV sporting events. If they'd only leave INHD on there the rest of the time, but I'm not optimistic.

INHD was listed in the CDT article as part of the new lineup. Give it some time, they probably don't have all the switchover kinks in the guide worked out. I doubt very seriously they would take out INHD and stick a PPV channel in the middle of the HD lineup. I don't understand all the Comcast hate. For a small market we have it as good as most large markets.
post #1091 of 3336 Old 03-07-2007, 08:06 AM

INHD should be safe unless something very drastic happens. The parent company of INHD, InDemand is owned by Comcast. As I understand, that is a source of some of the bad blood within Comcast towards HDNet since Cuban is a very close competetor in the random HD content provider business sector.
post #1092 of 3336 Old 03-07-2007, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I don't understand all the Comcast hate. For a small market we have it as good as most large markets.

It's a sport.

Nobody likes the cable company.

That being said, we do have it good but we've been screwed a few times on the way to get here making people a little bitter. I know the ATT -> Adelphia sale was a disaster because it coincided with the @Home shutdown but it took about a month for cable modem service to be restored when that happened. Then Adelphia went bankrupt and raised rates $10 a month for digital without adding a single channel. Comcast took over and fooked up the cable modem network yet again and I'm still not convinced it's right, and as usual they raised rates again without adding channels (at the time). In the last four years I think the cable bill has increased 50% for basic digital and I don't believe we've seen commensurate improvement in value.

I could be really bitter and go all the way back to when TCI took over for Telemedia in Ferguson Township. Telemedia offered HBO for free as one of the 12 channels on cable. Sure, TCI offered 35 channels but they charged for HBO!

Now it looks like both CBS and FOX are available OTA in HD in our market and Comcast won't part with some of their hard(ly)-earned rate increase to get them online.
post #1093 of 3336 Old 03-07-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:

I don't understand all the Comcast hate. For a small market we have it as good as most large markets.

Having the same disease as everyone else doesn't have to make you feel better about it. Let me share my own recent experience. I've had Comcast HD since late last year without needing to subscribe to their digital package. Then yesterday, all of a sudden, most of my HD channels came up as unauthorized. I called and was informed that, since the channel lineup change, I would need to have the digital package in order to get the HD channels I was receiving previously. The service representative was acting like I should have known this when the fact is that Comcast never bothered informing me that this would happen. I was never even sent any notification of the channnel lineup change, let alone the fact that I wouldn't be able to access my previous HD channels (and I'm not talking about HDNET). After some hot exchanges with the borderline rude representative who knew far less about their HD lineup than even I did, she admitted they were late in getting the mailings about the new channel lineup out to some customers and I could probably expect it within the next couple of days. But she had no reasonable explanation about why they thought they could just suddenly change my HD service without notifying me. Moreover, she acted like I was being unreasonable for protesting about it. Her attitude was pretty much "That's just the way things are so deal with it and your an idiot for not being clairvoyant enough to know it was going to happen."

I ended up talking with a supervisor and subscribing to a digital package (at a very nice rate), and thought all would be fine when she told me everything would show up in about an hour. Indeed, some channels did become unlocked, but some didn't. I thought it was just a matter of those channels taking more time. Silly me.

Today, I find that 202, 203, 205, and 254 are all still unauthorized. I called this morning and was told that their systems were offline and they couldn't even access my account - try again this afternoon. As of 4:15 pm they're still offline and I'm told to call back this evening. Smells to me like the equivalent of having their phone off the hook. It's obvious their lineup change has been handled poorly and is giving them fits.

And don't even get me started about giving up HDNET and HDNET Movies in return for reruns of Law and Order on TNT. It's a joke! HDNET was all about what HD picture quality should be. Not to mention the programming provided a welcome variety from the regular network stuff. I will miss Arrested Development in all it's fabulous HD quality, along with lots of other stuff.
post #1094 of 3336 Old 03-07-2007, 03:19 PM

Okay, I guess I'll have a go:

1.) I'll get it out of the way: I miss HDNet/HDNMovies. The space shuttle launches in HD alone made it worthwhile. But, HDNMV played a great blend of classic/foreign/independent films instead of the same mainstream crap that gets replayed a thousand times on some of the other premium movie channels.

2.) No new addition of local HD channels is just annoying. Especially since we now know that the signals exist OTA, for CBS anyway.

3.) The weird INHD/HDMEV thing will turn out to be INHD I hope. Even though it says "Off Air" for me, if I key in the channel manually it goes to INHD.

4.) Music HD could be cool, if it weren't for the permanent, large, distracting channel logo.

5.) It's also annoying that they reversed the order of the channels. Before, the locals were the lowest channel numbers, followed by the premiums, followed by the special interest channels. Now, the locals are the highest channel numbers, etc.

6.) So far, I've seen more SD black-bar material on UHD/TNTHD than I have actual HD material. And as kerplunk said, who cares about reruns of Law & Order and ER?! Tonight's episode of ER is from 2003. I would trade ALL of our "new" channels for either National Geographic HD or FoodNetwork HD. The end.

Okay. I feel better. Just had to get all of that out.
post #1095 of 3336 Old 03-07-2007, 05:20 PM

Quote:

INHD was listed in the CDT article as part of the new lineup. Give it some time, they probably don't have all the switchover kinks in the guide worked out. I doubt very seriously they would take out INHD and stick a PPV channel in the middle of the HD lineup.

Well, if it was in the CDT lineup, that's good.
Quote:

My bill is up $12.90/month and they just dropped the #2 and #3 HD channels behind WJAC that I watch. I am certainly not happy.
post #1096 of 3336 Old 03-07-2007, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerplunk1 View Post

I've had Comcast HD since late last year without needing to subscribe to their digital package.

What are you using for a tuner then?
post #1097 of 3336 Old 03-07-2007, 09:03 PM

I must say we probably have the most lackluster assortment of HD material on the planet now that Comcast has made their "improvements". They even managed to remove 109-3 which was WYOU hiding on the cable since before the Super Bowl. So now no CBS. I still get WTAJ OTA- ya can't take that one away Comcast!

Not sure if anyone else noticed but the most interesting part of their "upgrade" was that Playboy, Spice, and Ten were in the clear around 104-6 for a few hours last night! I was willing to cut them a break as far as their pitiful HD schedule had they kept one or more of these premiums on the wire- possibly unbeknowst to them! But alas they are gone today. They even had some OnDemand content on one of the channels where you could see the program being rewound, forwarded, and paused- was another adult feed. Interesting.
post #1098 of 3336 Old 03-09-2007, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Stop the hate child! All I really care about is getting CBS in HD for Comcast before the Steelers season begins. Although chances of that happening look very slim.
post #1099 of 3336 Old 03-09-2007, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by antman006 View Post

Stop the hate child! All I really care about is getting CBS in HD for Comcast before the Steelers season begins. Although chances of that happening look very slim.

If you have a tuner that will do ATSC chances are good in State College that you could pick up a cheapo set of rabbit ears and bring in WTAJ-DT.

I would prefer to be able to watch CBS-HD through one box right now but since I can watch CSI in HD On Demand and that's about the only show on CBS that I watch (purely because of the lack of HD here for so long) it isn't a deal breaker for me.

Now, FOX in HD... 24 is the only show I have the DVR record in SD. It would be nice to change that over. I wonder what the hold up there is.
post #1100 of 3336 Old 03-09-2007, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by slykens View Post

If you have a tuner that will do ATSC chances are good in State College that you could pick up a cheapo set of rabbit ears and bring in WTAJ-DT.

I'm wondering whether it's worth spending a couple hundred dollars to get an atsc tuner or just wait it out and hope for the best. Actually i never looked to see if my Sony KP-HW51 has one equiped. My chances are that my TV cam "HD Ready"
post #1101 of 3336 Old 03-09-2007, 03:36 PM

If you like playing with Google Earth and you live around Pittsburgh, here is a package that will let you visualize coverage and transmitter data for the city and its surrounding areas (up to about 35 miles). It's a way to find out if your address is in a good spot for getting OTA broadcasts or seeing which areas get the best TV coverage.

The file can be downloaded from Here
post #1102 of 3336 Old 03-10-2007, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slykens View Post

Now, FOX in HD... 24 is the only show I have the DVR record in SD. It would be nice to change that over. I wonder what the hold up there is.

I emailed the Fox 8 engineerabout 2 weeks ago and his reply was that Fox 8 HD should appear on Comcast "within a month."
post #1103 of 3336 Old 03-10-2007, 10:48 AM

Comcast is currently rewiring my apt building so they can apparently bring us new services. It looks like their just upgrading to RG-6 cable, nothing major. But maybe they will be offering some more channels(read: FOX so I can watch my 24!!!).

On another note, Comcast's TNT-HD feed is absolutely appauling!!! I watched a few min of NBA and of Mission Impossible:II, both of which had the same problem. During fast motion sequences there is this red and blue macroblocking going on. Also, there is some type of edge noise i noticed too. I'm pretty sure these problems are not my set because I have paused my DVR to see them. Also, I have experienced TNT-HD on Directv and Dish and the picture was very smooth and nice(but on a CRT RPTV much older than my sxrd).

Can anyone else confirm this? so i can call comcast and advise them of sometime of MPEG-2 encoding problem(their probably limiting their bit-rate)
post #1104 of 3336 Old 03-10-2007, 12:24 PM

I'm new to this forum and I had a few questions. I currently have Comcast and I'm a big sports fan. I'm curious about CBS and FOX HD OTA. I live on Valley View Road which is about 1/4 up on Purdue Mountain.

What my question is, with an indoor antenna, can i pick up CBS or FOX? I tried setting it up and scanning, but all i pickup is a few analog channels. I could be pointing the wrong direction or I'm just out of luck.

If anyone can help me, that'd be wonderful. Thanks!

P.S. if comcast would pickup cbs and fox HD, all my problems would be solved
post #1105 of 3336 Old 03-10-2007, 01:47 PM

Anyone else have a cable card and built-in TV Guide? Had any luck in getting things to update since the Comcast lineup change?
post #1106 of 3336 Old 03-10-2007, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopsazz View Post

I'm new to this forum and I had a few questions. I currently have Comcast and I'm a big sports fan. I'm curious about CBS and FOX HD OTA. I live on Valley View Road which is about 1/4 up on Purdue Mountain.

What my question is, with an indoor antenna, can i pick up CBS or FOX? I tried setting it up and scanning, but all i pickup is a few analog channels. I could be pointing the wrong direction or I'm just out of luck.

If anyone can help me, that'd be wonderful. Thanks!

P.S. if comcast would pickup cbs and fox HD, all my problems would be solved

Go to antennaweb.org and use you zip to show you what channels are avaliable. It looks like you about 40 miles from WATM and WTAJ. You might be better off getting harrisburgh channels. WTAJ you will need a outdoor antenna, indoor antennas recieving uhf is very limmited 20-25 miles also you might want to read this if you decide you want ota hd. http://www.highdefforum.com/showthread.php?t=14818

Does your tv have a hdtuner?
post #1107 of 3336 Old 03-10-2007, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyvenki View Post

On another note, Comcast's TNT-HD feed is absolutely appauling!!! [...]

Can anyone else confirm this? so i can call comcast and advise them of sometime of MPEG-2 encoding problem(their probably limiting their bit-rate)

I haven't noticed the encoding issues, but most of the movies on there are stretched to pieces. I thought I'd check out "Men in Black" tonight, but it's not really worth watching the way they present it.

But somehow they manage to get the TNT logo to look great.
post #1108 of 3336 Old 03-11-2007, 08:02 AM

Well apparently Comcast can't get daylight savings time right either ... but they did manage to send me a message last night that their software on screen guide is "New and Improved!"

INHD is now fixed in the program guide though.
post #1109 of 3336 Old 03-11-2007, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Well apparently Comcast can't get daylight savings time right either ...

I was watching tv late last night and they got DST right on my hd dvr
post #1110 of 3336 Old 03-11-2007, 10:56 AM

I received a letter from Comcast on Friday stating that my balance is about $100 over due, and they were going to discontinue my service if it wasn't paid up. So, I drove down to the Benner Pike office and nicely said 'what the fk!' and the lady kindly assured me not to worry about it, and don't pay any more money.

Still, Comcast continues to drop the ball. And at this point, Dish network is not more expensive than Comcast.

Patience is thin.

P.S. It's 1PM and my box is still an hour behind.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page