Johnstown, PA - HDTV - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 3317 Old 06-10-2005, 06:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
tinyiota,

You got a CBS waiver ... but you're not getting it in HD, right? Only E* has CBS-HD and D* only has FOX-HD ... this is correct, right? The local FOX station on E* really sucks imo, wish that I could get it in HD. So where is your new CBS station coming from?

So everybody is thinking within the next 6-12 months we should be seeing some local HD in this area???

JayPo
ThePolettos.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 3317 Old 06-10-2005, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypopsu View Post

Only E* has CBS-HD and D* only has FOX-HD ... this is correct, right?

DirecTV offers both East and West coast feeds of all four networks in HD.

East is WCBS-DT, WNBC-DT, WABC-DT, and WNYW-DT.
West is KCBS-DT, KNBC-DT, KABC-DT, and KTTV-DT.

With the waiver granted from CBS I had both WCBS-DT and KCBS-DT.
post #93 of 3317 Old 06-10-2005, 12:06 PM

Quote:

tinyiota,

You got a CBS waiver ... but you're not getting it in HD, right? Only E* has CBS-HD and D* only has FOX-HD ... this is correct, right? The local FOX station on E* really sucks imo, wish that I could get it in HD. So where is your new CBS station coming from?

So everybody is thinking within the next 6-12 months we should be seeing some local HD in this area???

Directv broadcasts LA and NY ABC,CBS,FOX and NBC in HD as well as SD.

Through a various combination of waviers, I've now managed to get all the nets in HD.
post #94 of 3317 Old 06-10-2005, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slykens View Post

Heh, the whole comment is kinda funny.

On the day of analog shutdown both DBS companies and all cable companies in the area will carry their digital signal. Further, as of today there is no difference in content between their analog and digital transmitters. Saying that DBS won't carry their signal in HD and so they're not going to pass it is just an excuse.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Kathy and so I'm caught between extreme frustration with her station and liking her.

I realize we aren't a huge market, but many stations in many markets smaller than ours are passing HD from network and seem to still be in business.

Yeah.. It is bizarre.. On the other hand FOX56 (WOLF) in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre is "debtor-in-possession".. Wonder if they're passing FOX network HD now? I need a small portable ATSC tuner that I can carry with me when I go up that way..
post #95 of 3317 Old 06-10-2005, 12:31 PM

Oh, well that sucks ... I mean, good for you, but why doesn't E* offer all majors in HD? I'd rather have FOX for football on Sundays than half of these VOOM channels.

JayPo
ThePolettos.com
post #96 of 3317 Old 06-10-2005, 01:16 PM

Quote:

Oh, well that sucks ... I mean, good for you, but why doesn't E* offer all majors in HD? I'd rather have FOX for football on Sundays than half of these VOOM channels.

Heh. I feel you pain.
Who knows.. Might be a good question to call in and ask at a Charlie Chat.. I was a E* subscriber from Feb of 1997 until last summer, when I finally switched to D* because I couldn't take the Dish501 any more, walked into several DiSH dealers with cash in hand to buy 921 and was turned away "because you're an existing customer, we have no incentive to sell to you, go buy your system from e* directly". Plus, I really really wanted the DirecTiVO. Things like NFL ST sweetened the deal, though coughing up an extra $99 for the HD version of ST is going to be painful.
post #97 of 3317 Old 06-11-2005, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyiota View Post

I've been doing research on various antenna options.. Has anyone looked at or played with the Winegard Square Shooter? Thanks to my location, I pretty much have line of sight to Altoona. I'd buy one and test it out but though the FCC says the NBC affilliate is licensed for 1 MW, I don't know if they're actually running at that power level.

So now that we know the WATM/WWCP construct on channel 24 in Altoona is at full power, I hauled out the old Square Shooter and put it up. From my place in Lemont, I can lock up the channel 24 signal on my HD TiVO's ATSC tuner at 90 %, along with WPSX, Amp or no Amp. Too bad PSX is still only xmitting SD..

Unfortunately, I still need the yagi and amp to get WTAJ on 32 and since the foliage came out I get no useful signal on WJAC. While I had the ladder out, I pointed the yagi at WNEP just for fun and got nothing. Mt Nittany is between me and HBG, so I didn't even bother with that direction..
post #98 of 3317 Old 06-15-2005, 01:26 AM

WTAJ (CBS) must be in the process of upgrading. Up until yesterday, their digital signal has been on 32.2 remapped to 10.2. The call they have been sending out has been WTAJ-TV. On 6/14/05 their digital signal disappeared. Later that morning, channel 10.1 with the call WTAJ-DT showed up with no picture or sound. Still later this disappeared and 10.2 WTAJ-TV (again with no picture or sound ) re-appeared. Finally as of late yesterday and into this morning (6/15/05) there is no digital signal out of WTAJ.

We shall see what the future holds.

Has anyone out there in TV Land been able to pick up the REAL WWCP out of Ligoneer (Channel 29.X). I figure that if WATM-DT is broadcasting ABC on 24.3 and FOX on 24.4 then WWCP should be doing the same but in reverse (i.e. 29.3 FOX, 29.4 ABC).
post #99 of 3317 Old 06-18-2005, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkydink View Post

WTAJ (CBS) must be in the process of upgrading. Up until yesterday, their digital signal has been on 32.2 remapped to 10.2. The call they have been sending out has been WTAJ-TV. On 6/14/05 their digital signal disappeared. Later that morning, channel 10.1 with the call WTAJ-DT showed up with no picture or sound. Still later this disappeared and 10.2 WTAJ-TV (again with no picture or sound ) re-appeared. Finally as of late yesterday and into this morning (6/15/05) there is no digital signal out of WTAJ.

We shall see what the future holds.

Their signal has been all over the map today. I bet they're installing their new transmitter..

Does anyone have any new info on whether WJAC is still going to do a transmit power upgrade, or why PSX is still only carrying their SD channel on PSX-DT, instead of PBS HD?

I assume PSX is punishing us for the GOP's efforts to cut their funding..
post #100 of 3317 Old 06-21-2005, 08:02 AM

Quote:

Does anyone have any new info on whether WJAC is still going to do a transmit power upgrade, or why PSX is still only carrying their SD channel on PSX-DT, instead of PBS HD?

I assume PSX is punishing us for the GOP's efforts to cut their funding..

Since Kerry carried State College, that wouldn't be appropriate. It's the rest of PSX's viewing area that's solid republican - the Alabama portion of Pennsylvania with thanks to James Carville.

Anyway, they just don't have the bandwidth to get an HD feed up to the Pine Grove tower. I don't know if/when that will change. Soon, I would hope.

Also note - the Pine Grove facility has been broadcasting nothing but carrier for a week or two now - they plan to be back on the air by end of this week.
post #101 of 3317 Old 06-21-2005, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmweenie View Post

Anyway, they just don't have the bandwidth to get an HD feed up to the Pine Grove tower. I don't know if/when that will change. Soon, I would hope.

Also note - the Pine Grove facility has been broadcasting nothing but carrier for a week or two now - they plan to be back on the air by end of this week.

WPSX was feeding the ATSC transmitter in Clearfield directly with the PBS-HD feed there. The transmitter on Pine Grove is part of a Single Frequency Network and from all appearances appears to be functioning properly. It only transmits what is being fed to the Clearfield transmitter in very near synchronization. I checked things last night and saw an appropriate ATSC stream comprised of one 6 Mbps video stream and several audio streams. If the Pine Grove transmitter was passing null data it would have wiped out the signal from Clearfield and I wouldn't have had anything.

I don't know when WPSX moves into their new studios but I am sure the new STL is ATSC capable. The equipment is on the roof at Innovation Park, I just don't know when the plan to or if they have lit it.

And let's try to keep the political discussion out of this forum, its really not an appropriate place for it and I doubt WPSX's technical and programming decisions are intended to "pay us back" for whomever might have won whatever election.
post #102 of 3317 Old 06-21-2005, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

So, I quizzed someone from Adelphia today about what's going on with the cable system in State College and I learned a few things.

1: The system upgrade could be done as early as September meaning a changeup of the analog lineup and 14-16 total HD channels.

2: WWCP really isn't transmitting HD OTA, they're doing it to some local cable company in the Johnstown area via fiber and gave Adelphia a hell of time arranging to get it for us up here. I can't believe they don't have a digital STL so it is available OTA. Goofballs.

3: We "should" get WATM (ABC) in HD this fall. Although I don't know how or why the gentlemen I spoke to would speculate as to that. It doesn't seem like they're going to do it OTA anytime soon so...

So that's some good news for HD starved people in State College. If we do manage to get ABC into HD that means we can see the Eagles, the Sunday Night game, and the Monday Night game in HD. And the Steelers whenever they're playing at home against the NFC or at night. Come on WTAJ, let's see some HD this fall!

For those of us who are Steelers fans (without D* now) that means we could see these games in HD:

10/10 @San Diego ABC (MNF)
10/31 Baltimore ABC (MNF)
11/13 Cleveland ESPN (SNF)
11/28 @Indianapolis ABC(MNF)
12/11 Chicago FOX
1/1 Detroit FOX

If WTAJ would step up to the plate we could be guarunteed the following as well:

9/25 New England CBS
11/6 @Green Bay CBS
11/20 @Baltimore CBS

And (we can hope) the playoffs and Superbowl! I put a call in to Kathy Smith today but she's out so I hope to find out more about where WTAJ stands soon.

It is interesting to note that their website has a notice across the top that their digital transmitter is out this week for "repair". I wonder if that was in reponse to a number of calls about it or if they were simply being proactive. Its the first mention of their digital transmitter I've ever seen on their website.
post #103 of 3317 Old 06-22-2005, 10:36 AM

Quote:

It is interesting to note that their website has a notice across the top that their digital transmitter is out this week for "repair". I wonder if that was in reponse to a number of calls about it or if they were simply being proactive. Its the first mention of their digital transmitter I've ever seen on their website.

I sent her an email last week and she responded and said that they're installing the new xmitter.
I got the impression they'd be done over the weekend, but maybe they had problems?

It's too bad WWCP/WATM isn't more serious about OTA HD.. I'd be happy to settle with channel 24's bandwidth split 50/50 between ABC-HD and FOX-HD.. It'd still be better than Directv's streams.
post #104 of 3317 Old 06-23-2005, 01:00 PM

Quote:

WPSX was feeding the ATSC transmitter in Clearfield directly with the PBS-HD feed there. The transmitter on Pine Grove is part of a Single Frequency Network and from all appearances appears to be functioning properly. It only transmits what is being fed to the Clearfield transmitter in very near synchronization. I checked things last night and saw an appropriate ATSC stream comprised of one 6 Mbps video stream and several audio streams. If the Pine Grove transmitter was passing null data it would have wiped out the signal from Clearfield and I wouldn't have had anything.

What you wrote is true in theory but...

Let me preface this by saying that I'm an engineer working on OTA DTV - which is to say, I have a pretty good idea what I'm talking about. In fact, I'm working on how to determine, at the hardware level, what makes an OTA DTV signal "good" or "not good". I'm looking at bit error rates, equalizer tap values (a multipath indicator) and other such minutiae using both ATI and Oren (now Zoran) demodulator evaluation/development boards. Both boards show nothing but carrier out of Pine Grove.

If this particular DTXn (Distributed Transmission network, first in the US I believe) did not have a few characteristics that make it an exception, what you say above would be entirely correct. Where are you located by the way?

As pointed out in the May 15, 2003 Broadcast Engineering
"WPSX’ experimentally licensed DTX transmitter site in Clearfield takes advantage of some terrain shielding in the State College area to eliminate possible signal interference outside tolerable levels, so it was a natural for DTX..."

Basically, State College can't see diddly-squat of what's broadcast in Clearfield and vice versa. Especially at the low power levels - when they maximize that can change. But even then, the Longley-Rice models don't predict much of a problem.

If you want to know more, look at the excellent WPSX DTXn case history in "ATSC Recommended Practice: Design Of Synchronized Multiple Transmitter Networks", 3 September 2004, available from ATSC. There's also some good technical info at SMPTE.

Quote:

I don't know when WPSX moves into their new studios but I am sure the new STL is ATSC capable. The equipment is on the roof at Innovation Park, I just don't know when the plan to or if they have lit it.

The move was delayed by several problems, not least of which was re-pouring the studio floor. You'd get seasick watching if they moved cameras on live action! They're actually moving today, even as we speak. The move is going to take quite a while.

They are being carried by PPTN until sometime in July I think. The Clearfield STL at Inno. Park is likely non-functional at the moment.

The Pine Grove LINK isn't (wasn't) ATSC format. I don't know whatit actually was - probably an older, digitally encoded microwave link, those things have been around for ages. Anyway, what's on the link is not ATSC but is modulated in ATSC format at the transmitter. The LINK ITSELF does not have enough bandwidth to deliver an HD feed. That's why even when the Pine Grove STL was up and they were running the national PBS HD feed, State College was getting it in SD - it was downconverted at the studio.

Quote:

And let's try to keep the political discussion out of this forum, its really not an appropriate place for it and I doubt WPSX's technical and programming decisions are intended to "pay us back" for whomever might have won whatever election.

As a WPSX insider's spouse, I've never seen any evidence that technical issues have anything to do elections.

But these days, programming *might* be a different matter. It's certainly more inviting even if inappropriate to bring in politics. The current administration sure is doing their best to inject politics into the situation.
post #105 of 3317 Old 06-23-2005, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

I certainly won't argue your qualifications but living in Lemont with an antenna on the roof I'm definitely picking up a valid ATSC stream over the air with a small yagi pointed towards Altoona. I'm 99% sure that Pine Grove is within the beamwidth of this antenna. Right now what I see is a 6 Mbps video stream and several audio streams. Prior to WPSX-DT reverting to SD I received the PBS-HD feed without a problem, there was no downconversion. I don't have the equipment to tell which transmitter the signal I receive comes from but I doubt that I would see a valid ATSC stream if Pine Grove was transmitting only null data while Clearfield was transmitting a valid stream. If it is only valid signal from Clearfield then I'm getting a very intense signal for the transmitter being 60 degrees off the azimuth of the antenna, unless it just happens to fall into a lobe by some coincidence.

Observationally, I'm seeing a differnt situation than you. I don't know why but I am.

I do see a "multipath" glitch on WPSX-DT which I have discussed with engineers from WPSX wherein I am seeing signal from both Clearfield and Pine Grove. At one point they altered the calculated geographical center of the SFN which solved my problem but have since reverted to the original center. I have not been in contact with them since as I assume once the network is operation they will pick an appropriate calculated center.

I find it highly suspect that they don't expect a 537 kW (or 810 kW on their APP) signal at 28 miles to not reach the valley even with the terrain inbetween. I am seeing it at my house two kilometers from downtown and it is causing what my receivers see as multipath outside of their correction windows.

edit: I forgot to mention I spoke with Kathy Smith this morning. They're still 12-18 months from HD as the owners don't want to spend the money on it. She said they intended to do the full power upgrade over last weekend but had a lot of problems in many different areas creep up so they're struggling to meet July 1.
post #106 of 3317 Old 06-23-2005, 07:03 PM

Quote:

I certainly won't argue your qualifications but living in Lemont with an antenna on the roof I'm definitely picking up a valid ATSC stream over the air with a small yagi pointed towards Altoona. I'm 99% sure that Pine Grove is within the beamwidth of this antenna. Right now what I see is a 6 Mbps video stream and several audio streams. Prior to WPSX-DT reverting to SD I received the PBS-HD feed without a problem, there was no downconversion. I don't have the equipment to tell which transmitter the signal I receive comes from but I doubt that I would see a valid ATSC stream if Pine Grove was transmitting only null data while Clearfield was transmitting a valid stream. If it is only valid signal from Clearfield then I'm getting a very intense signal for the transmitter being 60 degrees off the azimuth of the antenna, unless it just happens to fall into a lobe by some coincidence.

Observationally, I'm seeing a differnt situation than you. I don't know why but I am.

I can corroborate slykens' experience. I even have the recorded _Warship_ and _Frontline_ episodes in HD from when channel 15 was carrying PBS-HD.

As far as direction of the signal, I can't say.. I know I'm getting a rock solid signal on 15 when my yagi is pointed at Altoona (254 degrees), dunno if that's from clearfield or pine grove..

Guess someone needs to buy an ATSC protocol analyzer..
post #107 of 3317 Old 06-24-2005, 07:32 AM

Is there any word whether WJAC (NBC) has increased their output power to 1000 MWatts yet? We are getting down to the wire (July 1) and I have yet to notice any significant increase in signal strength.

As an FYI I have been scanning the other Markets around us (Harrisburg, Wilkes Barre, Williamsport, Pit etc.) to see if any other digital stations have shown up for our viewing area. Alas, with the exception of WNEP (ABC, WB/Scranton) I have not been able to pick up any DTV stations from other markets.

Also has anyone heard of updates regarding HD from WATM/WWCP. I do not have digital cable (did not want to pay the extra for virtually no channels), so I am very interested in what timetable they might be thinking of.

-Thanks!
post #108 of 3317 Old 06-25-2005, 12:20 AM

Quote:

Is there any word whether WJAC (NBC) has increased their output power to 1000 MWatts yet? We are getting down to the wire (July 1) and I have yet to notice any significant increase in signal strength.

As an FYI I have been scanning the other Markets around us (Harrisburg, Wilkes Barre, Williamsport, Pit etc.) to see if any other digital stations have shown up for our viewing area. Alas, with the exception of WNEP (ABC, WB/Scranton) I have not been able to pick up any DTV stations from other markets.

Also has anyone heard of updates regarding HD from WATM/WWCP. I do not have digital cable (did not want to pay the extra for virtually no channels), so I am very interested in what timetable they might be thinking of.

-Thanks!

I filled out the web form on WJAC's web site the other day and just got a response.. Unfortunately, the bad news continues to flow.. This is what came back:

"> The FCC has delayed the increased power requirements for at least 6 months so we will be at our current power level for a while longer."

Whatever that means..
post #109 of 3317 Old 06-25-2005, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

"> The FCC has delayed the increased power requirements for at least 6 months so we will be at our current power level for a while longer."

Not sure where they got that from unless they got a six month extension on their deadline for upgrade.

I'm sure Kathy Smith would have mentioned this when we were talking and, further, I'm sure WATM would have waited and WTAJ wouldn't have taken their digital transmitter offline until they were absolutely prepared to go to full power.

Perhaps I'm just missing something. ???
post #110 of 3317 Old 06-26-2005, 07:40 PM

Quote:

Not sure where they got that from unless they got a six month extension on their deadline for upgrade.

I'm sure Kathy Smith would have mentioned this when we were talking and, further, I'm sure WATM would have waited and WTAJ wouldn't have taken their digital transmitter offline until they were absolutely prepared to go to full power.

Perhaps I'm just missing something. ???

Heh, who knows.. I'm only relaying what the email said.. I wrote:

"I live in Lemont and am having signal strength problems when trying to pick up your digital signal, can you tell me if and when you plan to increase your digital signal's transmit power?"

and you saw what I got back..

I wrote a response and sent it back, but have not heard anything else.
I'll post if I do.
post #111 of 3317 Old 06-29-2005, 10:36 AM

Quote:

I can corroborate slykens' experience. I even have the recorded _Warship_ and _Frontline_ episodes in HD from when channel 15 was carrying PBS-HD.

As far as direction of the signal, I can't say.. I know I'm getting a rock solid signal on 15 when my yagi is pointed at Altoona (254 degrees), dunno if that's from clearfield or pine grove..

Hmm... Odd indeed. Pointing towards Altoona (254) is pretty close to pointing at Pine Grove (221) while the Clearfield tower is at 314. Typical Yagi will be something more than 30 dB down at 60 degrees off axis so you almost certainly wouldn't be seeing the Clearfield signals. At thiry degrees, a Yagi might be only 10 dB down so ....

Two people are seeing something that shouldn't be there or I'm not seeing something that is there or... or....something! So what the heck is going on here?!? I'll have to look into it.

Quote:

Guess someone needs to buy an ATSC protocol analyzer..

My ATSC analyzer is actually an assemblage of spectrum analyzer, development boards and homebrew software with a rats nest of cabling and multiple power supplies.... it doesn't travel very well. So while this gets curiouser and curiouser and I'm more than a bit intrigued (hey, I'm an engineer - it doesn't take much to intrigue me) I wouldn't even try to haul it out to Lemont (my home as well).

Somebody want to buy me an ATSC analyzer? It's my birthday soon.
post #112 of 3317 Old 06-30-2005, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmweenie View Post

Hmm... Odd indeed. Pointing towards Altoona (254) is pretty close to pointing at Pine Grove (221) while the Clearfield tower is at 314. Typical Yagi will be something more than 30 dB down at 60 degrees off axis so you almost certainly wouldn't be seeing the Clearfield signals. At thiry degrees, a Yagi might be only 10 dB down so ....

Two people are seeing something that shouldn't be there or I'm not seeing something that is there or... or....something! So what the heck is going on here?!? I'll have to look into it.

I have a rotor for my yagi (along with a channel master 7777 signal booster). If I point my yagi towards Wilkes Barre/Scranton, or even Harrisburg (or any direction) I can still pick up WPSX. Make of it what you like but that is what I am seeing.
post #113 of 3317 Old 06-30-2005, 06:56 AM

Quote:

I have a rotor for my yagi (along with a channel master 7777 signal booster). If I point my yagi towards Wilkes Barre/Scranton, or even Harrisburg (or any direction) I can still pick up WPSX. Make of it what you like but that is what I am seeing.

Ahhh, to be bathed in radiation...
post #114 of 3317 Old 06-30-2005, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Ahhh, to be bathed in radiation...

Try a trip to the top of Penn Tower sometime. Verizon has a pretty hefty cell site there that gives me a dull headache everytime I get on that roof.

The WPSX SFN is intended to provide a city grade signal in State College; I seem to remember seeing calculated field intensities from the Pine Grove transmitter in the 90 dBu range for my place... Keep in mind that the FCC considers a UHF DTV signal to be "receivable" (for lack of a better word) at 41 dBu.

WPSX-DT's STA is for 537 kW radiating about 0.748x of that power in our direction. That means we should see a signal just over 400 kW towards State College. Using Radio Mobile to hack together a 50,90 reception number based on a 7 dB antenna at my house pointed towards Clearfield I'm looking at a calculated signal of -67.8 dBm. The FCC says the noise floor is -106.2 dBm for the 6 MHz channel, and ATSC asks for 15.2 dB in SNR for reception meaning I need to see a signal of -91 dBm to decode, assuming a perfect receiver. A margin of 23 dB gives me plenty of room for line loss and receiver noise so theoretically I should be able to receive the Clearfield signal at my house with no trouble. This is in line with WTAJ-DT for me which calculates out to -72.7 dBm based on their STA of 3.3 kW and approximately .7x that power based on their antenna's radiation pattern.

Best as I can find the transmitter at Pine Grove is running at 50 kW, which explains why the signal in our area is so intense. (I thought it was in the 10 kW range at most) The calculated intensity at my house is -31.9 dBm from Pine Grove. Theoretically I shouldn't have any glitching as the "multipath" signal from Clearfield is 36 dB below the signal from Pine Grove, assuming uniform gain in the horitzonal plane of the antenna. Since I'm using a directional antenna the difference in signal should be even more.

That leaves more questions to be asked.

I've attached the LOS and calculated reception numbers I'm using to this post. Note that they are a little different than what is in the actual post as I generated the LOS plots using a wide area elevation map which doesn't have the same resolution as the maps I used to calculate field intensities individually previously.
LL
LL
LL
post #115 of 3317 Old 07-11-2005, 06:18 AM

Latest On WJAC

Here is the latest information I received concerning WJAC:

I sent the following:

Quote:

I am currently trying to receive your digital HD signal in State College for WJAC. I can only receive it sporatically and then with many drop outs. I have a signal booster for my antenna along with a rotor to fine tune the antenna direction. Is WJAC operating at full power yet? Have any decisions been made regarding the conversion of the Low Power analog station (ch 7) here in State College to digial/HD, if so when would this occur.

Their reply was:

Quote:

WJAC-DT hasn't increased power yet. Current plans are to do so in mid November. We hope to convert the channel 7 LPTV station next year.
You might try receiving us without the booster. They often cause problems with reception of a digital signal.

post #116 of 3317 Old 07-11-2005, 06:50 AM

Latest on WATM (ABC) and WWCP (FOX)

Here is the latest info on ABC and Fox from their engineer.

My Message:

Quote:

I was wondering if you could give me an update with regards to Fox-8, ABC-23 broadcasts in digital and HDTV for State College. I have been receiving a strong signal out of Altoona for 24.3 (abc) and 24.4 (FOX) both in 480i standard definition. I have not been able to pick up your other digital transmitter at 29.x located near Johnstown/Ligoneer(sp).

A few questions:

- Is your 29.x transmitter operating at full power?

- Are you planning to broadcast the MLB All Star game in HD?

- When are you planning to go HD for ABC and Fox? Will this be done by NFL season in the fall?

- Is either station off your Altoona transmitter going HD and when

- When will you convert you low power transmitters in State College/Altoona to Digital and HD?

In general, I would love to see an HD signal for both ABC and FOX in State College over the air. How and When will this happen.

Their reply

Quote:

Yes, our FOX transmitter (ch29) is operating at full power but we have to protect a ch.29 towards State College so you probably won't get a usable signal from it. We are working with Atlantic Broadband and Adelphia to Supply them with a true HD feed of our networks out of our studio. As far as over the air broadcast of our affiliates it could be some time bfore that would happen. I have no time frame yet for that. I am glad to here that we have a strong signal from ch. 24 in State College. Hope this helps answer your questions.

post #117 of 3317 Old 07-11-2005, 10:27 PM

Quote:

Latest on WATM (ABC) and WWCP (FOX)

Here is the latest info on ABC and Fox from their engineer.

My Message:

Their reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by WATM View Post

Yes, our FOX transmitter (ch29) is operating at full power but we have to protect a ch.29 towards State College so you probably won't get a usable signal from it. We are working with Atlantic Broadband and Adelphia to Supply them with a true HD feed of our networks out of our studio. As far as over the air broadcast of our affiliates it could be some time bfore that would happen. I have no time frame yet for that. I am glad to here that we have a strong signal from ch. 24 in State College. Hope this helps answer your questions.

So much for the stewardship of the public airwaves..
At least they're consistent in how they treat the consumers. Want HD? Sorry, you can't have it for free over the airwaves the government gifted to us.. Instead we have the privilege of buying it in a closed format from our cable monopoly. Don't have cable?? Maybe if you are really lucky the Satellite providers will pay the appropriate tribute to the TV stations for fiber feeds as well. Heck, even PSX is continuing to subject us to their SD signal.

Sorry if I'm just really jaded about all this, but things really suck here compared to other markets.

I note that TAJ changed the message on their web page to "Our digital transmitter is down indefinitely for repairs." at least things are going in a consistent direction..
post #118 of 3317 Old 07-12-2005, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

The whole thing doesn't make sense to me. Logistically, WATM and WWCP are then forcing cable companies to connect to them via fiber or microwave to get access to the HD signal.

So they're going to invest in the equipment to pass HD but only pass it to the cable companies? I don't know of any other stations pulling that kind of crap in the country.

And it can't be that they want to put ABC and FOX on both transmitters as the ABC transmitter could pass ABC-HD and FOX-SD without a problem, with the FOX transmitter passing the reverse.

Oh well, only time will tell. My feeling is that we won't see ABC-HD this fall, but I'd sure love to be proven wrong.

I haven't spoken with Kathy Smith about WTAJ but the last we spoke she mentioned the antenna wasn't even there yet so I can understand their delay. I just wish it also included an upgrade to passing HD from network.
post #119 of 3317 Old 07-21-2005, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Just FYI there was an article in the Centre Daily Crimes today about WPSX/PSU moving into their new studio.

They also mentioned that in October they plan to drop the callsign WPSX and be WPSU-TV,WPSU-DT, and WPSU-FM.

Seems to have become very quiet in here. :/
post #120 of 3317 Old 07-21-2005, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Living in Westmont and having DirecTV, I only use cable for locals and use my D* HD box to pull in HD from antenna. I have followed this thread with interest because for some time Fox 8 & ABC 23 digital channels have been crap (still basically are). I had contacted the studio long ago to inquire about their "stretched 16x9" Fox8 picture - never received a reply - actually didn't really expect one. I would periodically have the HD box do a channel search and along the line I started to receive both 8 & 23 DT but not widescreen and was encouraged thinking HD may be starting soon - till I read the latest posts here. I cannot receive OTA any other HD /digital channels but WJAC & these 2 (analog 6, 8 & UPN19) and recently cable sent out a new HD locals listing, adding Fox8 in HD (plus WQED and WJAC) but I don't plan on switching to cable anytime soon (unless of course they would get a true HD ABC & CBS also). Fox8 reasoning behind no OTA HD baffles me and I guess they are just skirting the broadcast requirements - after all they are broadcasting a "digital" signal - but their logic STINKS!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page