post #1171 of 3318 Old 03-29-2007, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_MainyYak View Post

Atlantic Broadband is soliciting testers for the new Video On Demand service. The email I received today from ABB does not indicate whether or not this will include HD programming, although that was one of the questions in the survey for prospective testers.

If you subscribe to ABB Internet but don't check the included email often, now might be a good time to do so.

OK...as far as I know we are subscribed to ABB Internet...? (Or I thought we were.) But have heard nothing of this yet. Any idea how we can express interest to them about being a part of this?

We do get HD service, as well, if they're looking for people who have that.

TIA,
DK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 3318 Old 03-29-2007, 06:49 AM

I live in Hollidaysburg, Pa and subscribe to Atlantic Broadband's, digital cable, internet and HD package with DVR. I have not received any email yet concerning VOD testing. Maybe they are just sending it to select areas or customers. Would be interested if they sent me one.
post #1173 of 3318 Old 03-29-2007, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd3yt View Post

I live in Hollidaysburg, Pa and subscribe to Atlantic Broadband's, digital cable, internet and HD package with DVR. I have not received any email yet concerning VOD testing. Maybe they are just sending it to select areas or customers. Would be interested if they sent me one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeKaye07 View Post

OK...as far as I know we are subscribed to ABB Internet...? (Or I thought we were.) But have heard nothing of this yet. Any idea how we can express interest to them about being a part of this?

We do get HD service, as well, if they're looking for people who have that.

TIA,
DK

You may be right that they are doing some pre-selection. I would call the ABB office and ask.

Well, I'm part of the test group. Plenty of offerings, but nothing in HD.
Right now I'm viewing an episode of HBO's "Rome". The show is 16:9 SD and looks rather pixelated even in normal mode. Zooming it to full screen.. well in a word.. ick. Positively unwatchable. Looks very heavily compressed.
But I'll be making the most of it while everything is free

It would be interesting to compare this VOD to what Comcast is offering.

ÂOne of the few good things about modern times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us.Â
- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #1174 of 3318 Old 04-02-2007, 05:40 PM

I stopped by Comcast today to ask about Fox and CBS in HD, they were only able to tell me that they have the contracts nearly finalized, but money still needs to change hands, and couldn't give me a time frame on that. They did say to expect CBS before FOX Maybe in a few years we'll get to see 24 in HD.
post #1175 of 3318 Old 04-03-2007, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by keystonejoe View Post

I stopped by Comcast today to ask about Fox and CBS in HD, they were only able to tell me that they have the contracts nearly finalized, but money still needs to change hands, and couldn't give me a time frame on that. They did say to expect CBS before FOX Maybe in a few years we'll get to see 24 in HD.

That's pretty generous of them to let you know about thier contract negotiations and the exchange of money. I guess they are getting as antsy as we are. Nevertheless, I'm glad to hear they're near the end.
post #1176 of 3318 Old 04-04-2007, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanPSUpa View Post

Adam....this article caught my eye, Hitachi is going to sell TV's with removable drives, eliminating the need for a DVR...maybe this is worth waiting for ???

http://www.tvpredictions.com/hitachidrives032007.htm

Nice find. I found this interesting:

"The newswire says the 80GB hard drive will cost roughly $175 with a 160GB unit at $300. The larger hard drive can record 32 hours of high-def programming."

The current Moto DVRs we have are 120GB and only hold about 12 hours of HD content. Wonder how they will fit 32 hours into a 160GB drive?
post #1177 of 3318 Old 04-04-2007, 04:53 PM

right now (in Bellefonte), my Comcast program guide says CN8 should be showing the Phillies vs the Braves. But instead it's showing "Out of Bounds"

at this site: http://www.cn8.tv/guide/default.asp?...head=prgrmgrid
the guide says that the Philadelphia and Harrisburg regions should show the Phillies, but New Jersey and Cablevision regions should show Out of Bounds...

here's the guide info:
Code:
                        7:30 PM         8:00 PM         8:30 PM         9:00 PM
New Jersey              Out of Bounds (Live)    Backstage with Barry Nolan      It's Your Call with Lynn Doyle 
Harrisburg              Live MLB: Atlanta Braves at Phillies
Cablevision homes       Out of Bounds (Live)    Backstage with Barry Nolan      It's Your Call with Lynn Doyle
Philadelphia            Live MLB: Atlanta Braves at Phillies
so does Bellefonte (formerly Adelphia) count as Cablevision? what's up with that?
post #1178 of 3318 Old 04-04-2007, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Here in State College, the guide says the Sixers-Knicks game is on, which is true.

EDIT: The Sixers game is on channel 200 (CSN-HD), but the Braves-Phillies game is listed as being on channel 9 (CSN-SD) but it is some infomercial.
post #1179 of 3318 Old 04-04-2007, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotttopic View Post

right now (in Bellefonte), my Comcast program guide says CN8 should be showing the Phillies vs the Braves. But instead it's showing "Out of Bounds"

The fact that CSN's home port is Philly doesn't change the fact that the State College cable system is within the Pittsburgh Pirates' TV territory for MLB.

It sucks, but the provider (comcast, D*, E*, whoever) or studio location of the channel don't matter. What matters is the lines that MLB or NHL or NFL or the ADAA draw on a map to distinguish "home" territory. Wherever you live, you get the "home" team and everything else has to submit to blackout rules. It's common for Comcast to do the actual blackout properly, but not bother to update the guide.

Fortunately, MLB and INdemand cut a deal today, so you'll be able to buy Extra Innings from Comcast.

'course.. I'm a Mets fan, so I'm stuck either way. EI on D* in HD is a nice consolation.
post #1180 of 3318 Old 04-05-2007, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyiota View Post

The fact that CSN's home port is Philly doesn't change the fact that the State College cable system is within the Pittsburgh Pirates' TV territory for MLB.

It sucks, but the provider (comcast, D*, E*, whoever) or studio location of the channel don't matter. What matters is the lines that MLB or NHL or NFL or the ADAA draw on a map to distinguish "home" territory. Wherever you live, you get the "home" team and everything else has to submit to blackout rules. It's common for Comcast to do the actual blackout properly, but not bother to update the guide.

Fortunately, MLB and INdemand cut a deal today, so you'll be able to buy Extra Innings from Comcast.

'course.. I'm a Mets fan, so I'm stuck either way. EI on D* in HD is a nice consolation.

But Tiny, MLB has already given Comcast Sports Net permisson to show Phliies games in the State College market, so I think it's reasonable for us to expect that that same permission to be granted to CN8, which is a completely different channel than CSN.

I know people who already have a call into CN8 to see what's up. I'll let you know the results.
post #1181 of 3318 Old 04-05-2007, 04:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

But Tiny, MLB has already given Comcast Sports Net permisson to show Phliies games in the State College market, so I think it's reasonable for us to expect that that same permission to be granted to CN8, which is a completely different channel than CSN.

I know people who already have a call into CN8 to see what's up. I'll let you know the results.

I don't know why I was thinking CN8 and CSN were the same channel. I guess because I never watch CN8. Thanks for pointing that out.
post #1182 of 3318 Old 04-05-2007, 07:00 AM

Quote:

Sorry, I hadn't heard that.. Can you point me to a press release or something?
post #1183 of 3318 Old 04-05-2007, 09:03 AM

Earlier in this thread I posted my E-mail reply from Comcast about Philly sports in SC.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10024441

Also, I would be very suprised if the rules were not the same for CN8. The reason games air on CN8 is simply that CSN is busy airing Sixers and Flyers games. And typically they would be in a playoff race, thereby warranting the network with better distribution. No playoff race for either team this year though...
post #1184 of 3318 Old 04-06-2007, 07:47 AM

Did anyone lose some of their HD channels this week? A couple of days ago I realized that I wasn't getting the 200-209 channels, ESPN etc.

I called yesterday to inform them of my issue, they claim they would send a signal to reset the boxes and to check in 30 minutes. As you suspect I am still "Not Authorized".

I tried calling back today and got a message that essentially said they were too busy taking other calls and good luck trying back later and hung up on me.

I have to admit I have been having nothing but headaches with Comcrap since the transition. What other business in this country could get away with telling you they're too busy to take a customer service call and good luck trying to call us back later?
post #1185 of 3318 Old 04-06-2007, 08:59 AM

As stated earlier, when there's a Sixers/Flyers Conflict with the Phlilies and the game was orginally slated for CSN, they are on CN8. But unfortuantely, according to CN8 people we in State College are not going to get those games.

CN8 is a regional network, on Comcast systems stretching from New England, New York, Philly, Jersey, PA and into Baltimore/Washington area.

Apparently they have one feed that goes to the entire network, and then separate feeds for the major metro areas. According to the folks CN8, we in State College get the "network feed" and not the "Philadelphia Metro" feed of CN8, and thus will not get the 4 more Phillies games that will be on CN8 because of those conflicts.

If the Sixers would happen to catch fire and sneak into the 8th spot in Eastern Conference in the playoffs, it could mean a few more games being moved from CSN to CN8....but they are 4 games out of the 8th spot with 8 games to play....I think we Phillies fans are safe.
post #1186 of 3318 Old 04-07-2007, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve shisler View Post

Did anyone lose some of their HD channels this week? A couple of days ago I realized that I wasn't getting the 200-209 channels, ESPN etc.

No problems with mine.

What package do you have? Those channels got moved from the HDTV tier (which I had) to the regular digital cable package. They were letting people who had the HDTV tier continue to get those channels (for free actually) since they switched (at the beginning of the year I think) - but it was implied in the letter that they sent out late last year, that at some point that would get cut off. If you had the HDTV tier, I would suspect that is what happened.
post #1187 of 3318 Old 04-08-2007, 11:27 AM

Just thought I'd let everyone know my TV Guide On Screen started working today. They must have solved the problem.
post #1188 of 3318 Old 04-09-2007, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve shisler View Post

I too am not authorized for some of the HD channels, not all, but most. I thinks it all the new ones they added; VSGLF, MHD, UHD, CSN, etc.

I am sooo frustrated with Comcast right now, but am too weak and too lazy to fight them...i only have a month of TV watch left until school os over. I'f I were a permanent resident i would have fought this adamantly.....I'm sooo looking forward to DirecTV back home in pittsburgh.
post #1189 of 3318 Old 04-09-2007, 10:25 AM

I'm an ABB customer near Altoona using the SA-8300HD box. I keep getting 3-5 second audio dropouts accompanied by a weird sound like a rattlesnake's rattle. I know it happens on channel 775 (WTAJ-HD-CBS), and I can't recall if it happens on other channels, as well. It can happen as many as 4 to 6 times during an hour-long recorded program.

Does anyone else have this problem, or know why it happens?
post #1190 of 3318 Old 04-09-2007, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanbrew View Post

I'm an ABB customer near Altoona using the SA-8300HD box. I keep getting 3-5 second audio dropouts accompanied by a weird sound like a rattlesnake's rattle. I know it happens on channel 775 (WTAJ-HD-CBS), and I can't recall if it happens on other channels, as well. It can happen as many as 4 to 6 times during an hour-long recorded program.

I believe this is isolated to WTAJ-DT. I get it on the OTA feed from them. It is a little annoying but the picture is darn good and I figure they'll work it out someday.

Now if we could only get some FOX-HD goodness OTA here I'd be really happy.
post #1191 of 3318 Old 04-09-2007, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyvenki View Post

I too am not authorized for some of the HD channels, not all, but most. I thinks it all the new ones they added; VSGLF, MHD, UHD, CSN, etc.

Same thing happened to me - then I realized that I wasn't paying for them. I had the HDTV tier, which they got rid of. I ended up just adding the digital basic package which gave me access to those channels, and it turned out to be pretty much the same price as the old HDTV tier, because they lowered the cost on the cable box rental. Still, I feel like I could have been kept in the loop about what was going on better. My channels just went not authorized one day, and the only people that could help me were at the office out on Benner Pike. I mean, they were really helpful there, it just would have been nice to have some one on the phone know what was going on.
post #1192 of 3318 Old 04-10-2007, 03:19 AM

Woke up early this morning to the new Comcast on-screen guide....didn't have much chance to play with it, but it looks cool....glad we finally got it in State College.
post #1193 of 3318 Old 04-10-2007, 05:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanbrew View Post

Does anyone else have this problem, or know why it happens?

I notice it most often on WTAJ (both via ABB and OTA, as pointed out by Slykens), but have detected it occasionally on DiscoveryHD. Don't know the cause, but at least you're not suffering from aural hallucinations!

ÂOne of the few good things about modern times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us.Â
- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #1194 of 3318 Old 04-10-2007, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:

I notice it most often on WTAJ (both via ABB and OTA, as pointed out by Slykens), but have detected it occasionally on DiscoveryHD. Don't know the cause, but at least you're not suffering from aural hallucinations!

I have also noticed this as well, mainly on WTAJ (Ch. 775) and more rarely on DiscoveryHD. It doesn't happen often, thankfully, but it is a bit of a PITA sometimes. Hopefully it'll go away sooner or later (hoping it's sooner).

Glad to see another Altoona person here! Welcome.

DK
post #1195 of 3318 Old 04-10-2007, 12:43 PM

I have comcast in State College, does anyone have problems with some digital channels, specifically Discovery HD and National Geographic, not working? When I go to the channel it says "One moment please. This channel will be available shortly." Never becomes available. I called and they said they couldn't do anything... The weird part is, sometimes they work, and most of the time they don't.
post #1196 of 3318 Old 04-11-2007, 05:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psincubus View Post

I have comcast in State College, does anyone have problems with some digital channels, specifically Discovery HD and National Geographic, not working? When I go to the channel it says "One moment please. This channel will be available shortly." Never becomes available. I called and they said they couldn't do anything... The weird part is, sometimes they work, and most of the time they don't.

I'm on the ABB system, and had been having some issues regarding HD and VOD reception. The cable guys showed up last Friday and ended up installing a brand new cable from the pole into my house, plus making a few tweaks to my distribution system. End result was a visible improvement in both HD and analog signals throughout the house.

Bottom line, if your cable into the home or within it are aged or old school RG-59, it might be worth it to schedule a service call (or DIY, if you are so minded).

- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #1197 of 3318 Old 04-11-2007, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member

Our ABB HD reception story: When we first got HD service, 2 of the channels would not come in at all, and several of the others were pixellating (breaking up) quite often. I called ABB and had actually scheduled a tech to come out to look at the problem, when something that the ABB Customer Service rep said made me think...

I looked at the connection running from the wall to the TV, and discovered a splitter on the cable that had been there for a long time that I'd forgotten about and no longer needed. I took the splitter off and connected the cable directly. (I know...duh. But I'd never even thought to look at that, for whatever reason, until the nice CS rep mentioned something about splitters when I called.) Anyway, long story short, once the splitter was gone, so were all the reception problems to our HD channels! Now they all come in just fine, clear, no more breaking up. I called ABB back and canceled the tech's visit.

For someone who's not necessarily a "techie" type of person, I felt so good because I fixed the problem myself. (Well, with a little help from the nice lady at ABB CS as well! If she hadn't mentioned it, I may have never looked at that connection and discovered the problem.)

Just wanted to mention it, for those others out there like myself who might not be quite as tech savvy.

DK
post #1198 of 3318 Old 04-11-2007, 05:54 PM

Got a flyer in the mail today from D&E in state college. It says "new for fall 2007. HDTV and DVR." Hopefully their prices are cheaper than comcast and the lineup is good. They might be a viable alternative to getting price gorged by comcast.
post #1199 of 3318 Old 04-11-2007, 08:57 PM

Quote:

Got a flyer in the mail today from D&E in state college. It says "new for fall 2007. HDTV and DVR." Hopefully their prices are cheaper than comcast and the lineup is good. They might be a viable alternative to getting price gorged by comcast.

I think if D&E would expand their cable plant into the surrounding townships and add enough HD to be competitive with Comcast, they could make a killing on Comcast. The latest rate hikes are getting crazy.
post #1200 of 3318 Old 04-11-2007, 09:07 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the tip - I'm moving from from out in Toftrees to downtown in August. (thanks to stupid lease dates) I have friends who are happy with D&E, but I thought that I was going to have to stick with Comcast to continue getting the HD to keep my 42" DLP happy. Now the real question is if either D&E or Comcast will have CBS or FOX in HD by then...
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page