Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 3317 Old 07-21-2005, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by slykens View Post

Just FYI there was an article in the Centre Daily Crimes today about WPSX/PSU moving into their new studio.

They also mentioned that in October they plan to drop the callsign WPSX and be WPSU-TV,WPSU-DT, and WPSU-FM.

Seems to have become very quiet in here. :/

Heh..

Whats left to say? I'm resigned to nothing more happening with HDTV for at least another year.

This DMA is boned as it relates to HDTV. I think it'll be a minor miracle if the cheapskates at the affiliates ever bother to put up a full HD OTA signal.

Just like every other government sustained monopoly, these jokers will do the minimum necessary to keep their monopoly while crying and whining poverty about every cent they spend. It's too bad nobody will take those frequencies back from them and auction them to someone who will do something useful with the spectrum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 3317 Old 08-04-2005, 05:50 AM

WTAJ

For what it's worth, WTAJ-DT is back on the air at (translated) 10.2. It is still only at standard def (480i). I was hoping against hope, that when they came back they would be in HD, but I guess that's too much to ask for in the hopeless Altoona/Johnstown market.
post #123 of 3317 Old 08-04-2005, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkydink View Post

For what it's worth, WJAC-DT is back on the air at (translated) 10.2. It is still only at standard def (480i). I was hoping against hope, that when they came back they would be in HD, but I guess that's too much to ask for in the hopeless Altoona/Johnstown market.

I think you mean WTAJ-DT.

And they're still 12-18 months away for HD. I had lunch yesterday with Kathy Smith and she doesn't see it happening any sooner.

She mentioned that getting the digital transmitter up to 833 kW had been a well scheduled event until a few delivery timeframes fell apart and as such it has been dragged out until now, apparently.

I still don't know what's going on with WATM and WWCP. Apparently no OTA HD but I understand that WWCP is providing HD to cable companies in our market. While this doesn't seem right to me it does make sense if they can negotiate compensation for access to the HD content and keep free OTA SD only. Economically it might make some sense, you have to figure that between the three cities in the market that at least 120,000 homes are passed with cable and at $0.10 each that's $12k per month to offset the HD equipment.

It will be interesting to see how that works out for them if/when must carry comes about for digital.
post #124 of 3317 Old 08-05-2005, 03:33 AM

WPSX

Yesterday WPSX reconfigured and came back on the air with 3 digital channels (remapped) 3.1, 3.2, and 3.3.

3.1 is PBS/HD (Yeah we have an HD channel in A/J again @ 1080i)
3.2 is SD (480i) and has different program content than 3.1
3.3 is SD (480i) and is the WPSX feed (and is different than 3.1 and 3.2)

The bad thing is, currently there is no audio for any of the feeds. (I will try to contact them today concerning this).

Yes I ment WTAJ (TV-10) in my last post (I will edit and make the change)
post #125 of 3317 Old 08-07-2005, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkydink View Post

WPSX

The bad thing is, currently there is no audio for any of the feeds. (I will try to contact them today concerning this).

I just tuned them in and all have audio.. Maybe they weren't quite finished?..

I haven't been able to get TAJ since they went down for their upgrade and I still can't.. Guess I'll have to go adjust the antenna..
post #126 of 3317 Old 08-15-2005, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Well, it seems the system upgrade for Adelphia in State College is very nearly done.

There was a legal ad in the paper indicating that on or after August 20 certain changes were going to occur to the analog lineup, specifically certain channels being moved from the digital tier to analog.

I figured this would coincide with a big improvement in the HD lineup. I was right. Checking Adelphia's website today I found the following listed for the HD lineup:

WPSX HD WPSX High Definition Broadcast HD (High Definition)
WATM HD WATM High Definition Broadcast HD (High Definition)
WJAC HD WJAC HD Broadcast HD (High Definition)
WWCP HD WWCP High Definition Broadcast HD (High Definition)
WTAJ HD WTAJ High Definition Broadcast HD (High Definition)
HD HBO HBO HD HBO HD (High Definition)
HD SHOWTIME Showtime HD Showtime HD (High Definition)
HD STARZ Starz HD Starz HD (High Definition)
HD CINEMAX Cinemax HD Cinemax HD (High Definition)
HD NET HD NET HD PLUS TIER
HDN MOVIES HD NET MOVIES HD PLUS TIER
ESPN HD ESPN HD HD PLUS TIER
ESPN2 HD ESPN2 HD HD PLUS TIER
INHD1 iNDemand HD HD PLUS TIER
INHD2 iNDemand HD 2 HD PLUS TIER
DISC HD Discovery HD HD PLUS TIER
NFL HD NFL Network HD HD PLUS TIER

Now, as we all know not all of our local channels are passing HD but we should see at least WJAC and WWCP in HD when this is put into effect. If we're lucky we might see WATM as well, but WTAJ is still 12-18 months away.

Just thought I'd pass on the good (non-broadcast) news.
post #127 of 3317 Old 08-17-2005, 05:15 PM

This is great news for us with Adelphia HD service! Now lets hope they don't jack up the prices. BTW, I heard they will also have Video-On-Demand soon, too.
post #128 of 3317 Old 08-19-2005, 11:26 AM

Quote:

Well, it seems the system upgrade for Adelphia in State College is very nearly done.

There was a legal ad in the paper indicating that on or after August 20 certain changes were going to occur to the analog lineup, specifically certain channels being moved from the digital tier to analog.

I figured this would coincide with a big improvement in the HD lineup. I was right. Checking Adelphia's website today I found the following listed for the HD lineup:

Now, as we all know not all of our local channels are passing HD but we should see at least WJAC and WWCP in HD when this is put into effect. If we're lucky we might see WATM as well, but WTAJ is still 12-18 months away.

We were talking about this at lunch today.
The concept of going back to adelphia makes me sick to my stomach.
Does anyone know if they will be encrypting the broadcast HD channels? I'd consider getting lifeline service if I'd get the HD networks, but I really don't want to shell out $50/month for some package of channels I don't want, just to get HD.
post #129 of 3317 Old 08-31-2005, 12:32 AM

More W/Scr Stations

Over the weekend I was able to pick up (briefly) WOLF (Fox 56 in HD) from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. They are coming in at 720p on 45.3 (56.1 remapped). Additionally to WB network from that area is being broadcast at 45.4 (56.2 remapped) at 480i. My understanding from the W/S forum is that WOLF went to full power over the weekend on the digital side.

My reception is spotty but I hope for some improvement in the fall and winter so that I might catch a late football game. I have caught preseason MNF on ABC in HD (16.1 WB/SCR) and it's impressive. Yesterday morning between 7am-11am the signal was solid with no dropouts. The other 2 networks for NBC and CBS are supposed to go full power in the first 2 weeks of September.

Yesterday morning during my good reception period I also picked up all 4 digital channels for WVIA (41.1-41.4) all broadcasting at standard resolution.

I have yet to pick up other digital stations from other markets (other than Alt/Johns).
post #130 of 3317 Old 09-05-2005, 09:36 AM

I have atlantic broadband here at altoona and was wondering if the HDTV stream and/or Digital TV stream is QAM encrypted. Refer to this post: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=576016
post #131 of 3317 Old 09-06-2005, 04:29 AM

bump
post #132 of 3317 Old 09-06-2005, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamo View Post

bump

You do realize that bumping a post less than 20 hours after you made it in a very low volume thread is far more annoying than posting and waiting for an answer?

Why don't you call Atlantic Broadband and ask them, better yet, purchase an unencrypted QAM tuner and find out for yourself if you're so excited for an answer?
post #133 of 3317 Old 09-14-2005, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Talk about frustration.

I'm not sure what Adelphia's story is up here but they took all the new HD channels I quoted above out of the channel line up and removed the analog changes they had listed as well.

The upside is that now their website's listing matches reality, the downside is that reality is no more HD channels yet. I was hoping they'd get WWCP on before football season started but no soup.
post #134 of 3317 Old 09-15-2005, 09:01 AM

2 days ago I noticed that the WQED-HD channel over cable is coming through at 480i instead of the normal 1080i? Anyone else have this problem? All the other HD channels are coming in fine?

Is it a problem with WQED or the cable company. I have Atlantic Broadband in PA and called them yesterday to inform them but it is still coming in at 480i?

Anyone else noticing this?
post #135 of 3317 Old 09-15-2005, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimL View Post

Living in Westmont and having DirecTV, I only use cable for locals and use my D* HD box to pull in HD from antenna. I have followed this thread with interest because for some time Fox 8 & ABC 23 digital channels have been crap (still basically are). I had contacted the studio long ago to inquire about their "stretched 16x9" Fox8 picture - never received a reply - actually didn't really expect one. I would periodically have the HD box do a channel search and along the line I started to receive both 8 & 23 DT but not widescreen and was encouraged thinking HD may be starting soon - till I read the latest posts here. I cannot receive OTA any other HD /digital channels but WJAC & these 2 (analog 6, 8 & UPN19) and recently cable sent out a new HD locals listing, adding Fox8 in HD (plus WQED and WJAC) but I don't plan on switching to cable anytime soon (unless of course they would get a true HD ABC & CBS also). Fox8 reasoning behind no OTA HD baffles me and I guess they are just skirting the broadcast requirements - after all they are broadcasting a "digital" signal - but their logic STINKS!

Just letting you know I'm in pretty much the identical situation as you here in Windber. I have the Hughes HTLHD Rx, how about you?

Fred
post #136 of 3317 Old 09-15-2005, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamo View Post

I have atlantic broadband here at altoona and was wondering if the HDTV stream and/or Digital TV stream is QAM encrypted.

I know that the Digital TV stream is encrypted and I am pretty sure that all the HD Channels that are not Local stations are incrypted. Meaning that you could get NBC, FOX and PBS through your cable and a QAM tuner. From what I read it is illegal for them to encrypt the local stations HD or not.

Now can you do me a favor? It sounds like you have Atlantic BB Cable service and the HD channels. Can you tune it to WQED-HD and tell me if your picture is coming in at 480i, or 480p? If you have your STB set to a fixed picture please change it to pass-through or UpConvert-1 and it will give you it's true resolution.

Thanks
post #137 of 3317 Old 09-16-2005, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am using the HR10-250 - which I recently replaced an RCA DTC100 unit, which was the unit owned at the time of my previous post.
post #138 of 3317 Old 09-27-2005, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

I was looking through the FCC's registration records for our local stations today and found a DT application for WWCP to go to 6.5 kW on channel 8 in digital filed on August 15.

FCC Data

If you look at the 36 dBu service contour associated with it it still doesn't look like they're going to get within 30 miles of State College.

Doesn't matter much anyway, they're not passing HD OTA.
post #139 of 3317 Old 10-03-2005, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJudge454 View Post

I know that the Digital TV stream is encrypted and I am pretty sure that all the HD Channels that are not Local stations are incrypted. Meaning that you could get NBC, FOX and PBS through your cable and a QAM tuner. From what I read it is illegal for them to encrypt the local stations HD or not.

Thanks

I need some clarification. I have a new JVC TV with "ATSC/QAM and Digital CABLECARD Capable (Digital Cable Ready)". I currently have "Premium" Atlantic BB cable service, which means I basically get analog channels 2-99. I ran the digital tuner on my new TV and it pulled in a couple of digital channels like Starz, Encore Sportsman's Channel, but no network channels. Do I need either a cablecard or a cable box to get HD? I really don't want to pay for all the crappy digital channels that ABB has; I only want to get HD.
post #140 of 3317 Old 10-04-2005, 10:23 AM

I did a channel search for analog and digital stations near noon today. We must have had some type of wierd atmospheric conditions, as I was able to pull in for a 15 minute period BOSTON MA stations!

I was able to pull in clearly and view the following

WGBH-SD 2.1
WGBH-HD 2.2

WHDH-HD 7.1

WFXT-DT 25.1

WVIT-DT 30.1 (NBC-30)

WGBX-DT 44.1 - 44.4

It must have been some type of atmospheric bounce or skip.
post #141 of 3317 Old 10-11-2005, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I'm not sure what they're up to. Someone mentioned that the planned upgrade from August was pushed back to November, my gut feeling is that they're just going to wait for the Comcast transfer...

Snooping around at the channel line ups they have again added 774 INHD and 775 INHD2 to our lineup but with no other changes that I can see, analog or digital.

I wish they'd quit putting stuff on the website unless they intend to actually turn it on!
post #142 of 3317 Old 10-12-2005, 04:50 AM

An update: Atlantic BB couldn't get the cablecard to work in my TV. The cable guy made several phone calls to other people, but the cablecard simply wouldn't work. I ended up giving it back and getting an HD cable box/DVR instead. It works fine, and I'm satisfied with the picture quality. I'm not satisfied with my cable bill, however. I'm paying more than $25 a month more just to get the HD channels I want plus a bunch of worthless digital channels that I'll never watch. I would think about switching to satellite, but their HD packages don't include ANY networks. I at least get NBC, Fox and PBS from Atlantic BB. I hope they add CBS and ABC soon.
post #143 of 3317 Old 10-12-2005, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanbrew View Post

I hope they add CBS and ABC soon.

Neither CBS nor ABC pass HD locally. You'll need to contact the stations and make sure they know you want it.

Send a kind email to Kathy Smith at WTAJ (CBS) asking for HD. They're still a year away but a kind email asking for it will help bolster her case to get it. (www.wtajtv.com)

Also send email to WATM (ABC) and ask them to at least make arrangements to pass HD to cable companies in the area, if not OTA. (www.abc23.com)

Depending on where you are in Altoona you might have a very remote shot at getting WTAE-DT from Pittsburgh. The problem is that they're on channel 51 but they are at 1 MW. And you'd have to put up an antenna. :/

EDIT: I took my own advice here and submitted a question via WATM's web page asking when HD would be passed from ABC. The response, from Jill Brazill, indicates a mid January 2006 date. Maybe there's some hope to get it before the Superbowl!
post #144 of 3317 Old 10-14-2005, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Talk about the run around. I've been waiting for HD in the state college area forever. After speaking with Adelphia at least a dozen times, I subitted a research form to find out what was going on. I was told that the New Channels will roll out in November because they are waiting on some equiptment. I think it's a bunch of Bull. Espessially when you see all the advertisements on the '15" channels.
post #145 of 3317 Old 10-18-2005, 05:04 AM

Quote:

Send a kind email to Kathy Smith at WTAJ (CBS) asking for HD. They're still a year away but a kind email asking for it will help bolster her case to get it. (www.wtajtv.com)

Also send email to WATM (ABC) and ask them to at least make arrangements to pass HD to cable companies in the area, if not OTA. (www.abc23.com)
l!

I'll do that today. I'll let you know what response I get.
post #146 of 3317 Old 11-02-2005, 07:24 AM

Quote:

I'll do that today. I'll let you know what response I get.

I sent emails to both WTAJ-10 and ABC23. I received no response. After three days, I resent the emails. I got a response from Kathy Smith at WTAJ saying they plan to upgrade to HD sometime in 2006. She wrote that the station used all of its money this year, so the upgrade had to be put off until 2006. She said she could not predict whether it would be at the beginning of the year or the end, but it was planned for next year. So, that's partially good news.

I never received any response from ABC23, even though I CC'd the email to two different people there. Great customer service, huh?
post #147 of 3317 Old 11-02-2005, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I never received any response from ABC23, even though I CC'd the email to two different people there. Great customer service, huh?

Both WATM and their sister station WWCP are terrible for responding to emails.

Kathy's very good about responding but she's also very busy. Rumor is that WTAJ is up for sale so I'm not sure what's going on with that or how that might affect the HD upgrade.

It would be nice to see WTAJ get to HD before the NCAA's in March, but it's not like we're going to be watching Penn State there anyway! Then again, they're due for their one good year again. (1996 #10, 2000 Sweet Sixteen)

This is also allegedly the month that Adelphia's going to add more HD in State College. I did notice that WJAC's NTSC feed to Adelphia no longer appears to be a chopped down-convert of their ATSC feed. WJAC was feeding their translator here with a Samsung ATSC receiver and Adelphia was receiving that. The easiest way to tell is when letterboxed programming is on (Conan evey night)... On the analog side he used to simply be chopped, now he's letterboxed.

All I really want is FOX in HD up here before 24 starts and ABC in HD before the NFL playoffs, or Superbowl at the latest. Wonder how lucky I might be.

I am curious how they're feeding it, whether its fiber or microwave, or they've added another subchannel to the ATSC stream. Since I can't receive WJAC-DT reliably I can't determine this. I suppose they could have also reverted their translator to receive the analog station. It's only 60 miles or so and at that elevation it should come in just fine.
post #148 of 3317 Old 11-02-2005, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antman006 View Post

Talk about the run around. I've been waiting for HD in the state college area forever. After speaking with Adelphia at least a dozen times, I subitted a research form to find out what was going on. I was told that the New Channels will roll out in November because they are waiting on some equiptment. I think it's a bunch of Bull. Espessially when you see all the advertisements on the '15" channels.

I talked to a rep. at the State College Adelphia office about a week ago. He claimed that the contractors working on the HDTV upgrade are busy in Louisiana working on hurricane related repairs and that Adelphia may not make the November date.
post #149 of 3317 Old 11-03-2005, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsquid View Post

I talked to a rep. at the State College Adelphia office about a week ago. He claimed that the contractors working on the HDTV upgrade are busy in Louisiana working on hurricane related repairs and that Adelphia may not make the November date.

Interesting. It can't be all of them as I've seen a lot of cable contractors up on the poles around Lemont over the last few weeks. Maybe some of them are back and working now.

My hope was that they were working on Fios but I don't suppose we're that lucky yet.

I have to wonder why Adelphia doesn't turn on the additional channels in areas that have already been upgraded to 750 MHz. Perhaps they can't do it with the equipment in the headend.

My QAM256 tuner, however, currently sees what looks to me to be a total of 10 HD streams on the wire. And it looks like the music channels are already at in the 680 MHz range. I'm going to play around with this more over the weekend and see if I can tell what's really on the wire.
post #150 of 3317 Old 11-06-2005, 10:47 PM

Quote:

Interesting. It can't be all of them as I've seen a lot of cable contractors up on the poles around Lemont over the last few weeks. Maybe some of them are back and working now.

My hope was that they were working on Fios but I don't suppose we're that lucky yet.

Correct. VZ's western Pennsylvania region is in line ahead of us. Allegedly some part of State College is on the FiOS roadmap for 2006, however it remains to be seen if they will repeat the DSL rollout. (eg downtown gets it immediately and the outskirts get to wait 4 or 5 years later..).

Quote:
I have to wonder why Adelphia doesn't turn on the additional channels in areas that have already been upgraded to 750 MHz. Perhaps they can't do it with the equipment in the headend.

My QAM256 tuner, however, currently sees what looks to me to be a total of 10 HD streams on the wire. And it looks like the music channels are already at in the 680 MHz range. I'm going to play around with this more over the weekend and see if I can tell what's really on the wire.

With the OTA transition to digital in 2008, it will be interesting to see if/how they might upgrade their LP translators in State College. Being locked into a paid service like Comcast or DirecTV really sucks.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page