Johnstown, PA - HDTV - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 3320 Old 11-10-2005, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anybody had any recent success in applying for and receiving DTV waivers for the HD locals here in State College? WTAJ gave me one right off the bat, but I was denied by everybody else. I have reapplied and sent letters to the GMs. Any thoughts on success or tips on success? Anyone better to contact than the GMs?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 3320 Old 11-11-2005, 11:44 AM

I have Adelphia HD and have been noticing "dropouts" in audio and video on NBC-HD and HBO-HD. I will temporarily lose audio and sometimes get a second or two of a frozen or black picture. Problem is, I see this from playing back recordings off the HDTV-DVR and not "live" (as I never have time to watch the HD programs I like when they are actually on). I was wondering if it was my DVR or the HD feeds. Last few weeks I noticed it when watching Medium on NBC-HD and Rome on HBO-HD. Anyone else notice dropouts on the HD channels?
post #153 of 3320 Old 11-16-2005, 02:34 PM

i live in johnstown pa i able to pick up wjactv-dt some times . so im just wonder if anyone esle in this area able to pick any hd-dt channels up?
post #154 of 3320 Old 11-17-2005, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For those waiting for additional HD channels from adelphia, I just got charged $8 for HD-plus, which I am hoping means that they are finally adding the new channels.
post #155 of 3320 Old 11-17-2005, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeboo View Post

For those waiting for additional HD channels from adelphia, I just got charged $8 for HD-plus, which I am hoping means that they are finally adding the new channels.

Sitting in front of my TV right now they aren't on yet. My last bill shows HD Plus as $0.00 but I do have an HD/DVR lease at $7.95.
post #156 of 3320 Old 11-17-2005, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My billing period is for 11/24-12/23, maybe they expect them to be added by then. (I am not holding my breath though.)
-Brandon
post #157 of 3320 Old 11-18-2005, 03:13 AM

I emailed and received replys from the engineers of WTAJ (CBS-10) and WJAC (NBC-6) regarding HD conversions etc. Here is the latest info

WTAJ

Quote:

We have requested the funds in our 2006 capital request to pass CBS network in HDTV and we all hope that they approve it for a June or July install.

WJAC

Quote:

We are planning to be at full power by 2:00PM tomorrow [Friday]. Please let me know if your reception improves. We hope to convert the State College LPTV station next year.

I also have sent out an email to WATM/WWCP to see what there latest plans are.
post #158 of 3320 Old 11-21-2005, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkydink View Post

I emailed and received replys from the engineers of WTAJ (CBS-10) and WJAC (NBC-6) regarding HD conversions etc. Here is the latest info

WJAC

Who is the contact at WJAC? I was showing a friend how bad the HD reception was around here on Saturday and had no luck getting NBC-HD. If they're really at full power, I'd love to know.

On the FOX/ABC issue, the engineer there told me a few months ago that they had no plans to do anything more OTA until they get around to converting their LPTV station in state college. However, I think channel 59 is slated to be recovered by the FCC, so it looks like they'll need a new channel. In any event, he didn't give me the impression they were thinking about passing HD OTA anytime soon. Also, with 2 SD streams on the same ATSC channel, there isn't enough BW for both to be in HD(unless you're DirecTV). Which would you rather have? FOX or ABC?
post #159 of 3320 Old 11-23-2005, 06:01 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm driving myself crazy! The whole reason why I got HD from Adelphia was to watch football games in HD, and we are going into the playoffs soon and still no ABC or Fox HD! I submitted another research form with Adelphia and they replied that the HD service will be rolling out in December. Of course I expect in December that they will tell me January. When will the madness end! What am I paying for anyways. I am so close to switching to Direct TV , although I have heard nightmares. I wish I could talk to who ever is in charge and give em a piece of my mind. ADELPHIA YOU BLOW!
post #160 of 3320 Old 11-23-2005, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

I wish I knew when Adelphia was going to get it done.

As far as football is concerned, there's problems beyond Adelphia's failure to complete the upgrade in a reasonable timeframe, neither ABC nor CBS have any facilities to pass HD from network at this time in our market. ABC last said they plan to by mid-January 2006, whether that means before NFL playoffs, before BCS bowls, or just before the Superbowl is anyone's guess. Then, since it is unlikely they'll pass is OTA, we have to get Adelphia to pick it up on fiber and pass it to the cable network.

I wonder if Penn State's BCS berth might motivate the ABC station to get the upgrade done before the end of the year in an attempt to showcase HD to a significant portion of the households in our market, that followed by the Superbowl a month later would be a great way to launch and promote their HD service.

A poster above has a response from our CBS indicating a hoped-for June/July HD date, based on funding approval.

Adelphia could have FOX in HD right now but I'm not sure what's holding them up. My last check with the QAM256 tuner showed one more HD streams than channels available from the cable box, I'm thinking FOX is on the wire but being hidden at the moment. I don't know for sure tho.

I don't think you'll be much better off with DirecTV. You might be able to get HD waivers but that could take up to 45 days. I have D* right next to Adelphia at my house and Adelphia overall picture quality kicks DirecTV's butt. D* simply overcompresses everything to the point that the motion artifacts on SD channels are more annoying than the degraded analog picture from Adelphia. For HD its no contest, as far as I know Adelphia does not rate shape or re-encode anything, and the bit rates I've seen on the wire seem to show that they only place 2 HD streams in each 38 Mbps QAM256 channel.
post #161 of 3320 Old 11-23-2005, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyiota View Post

Also, with 2 SD streams on the same ATSC channel, there isn't enough BW for both to be in HD(unless you're DirecTV). Which would you rather have? FOX or ABC?

Speaking only in theory and only for OTA it is possible with halfway decent picture quality to put both FOX-HD and ABC-HD on the same ATSC channel as they are both 720p. Now, before you go wacky on me, I admit up front that this is not an ideal situation and the resulting picture quality may at times leave much to be desired, but in many cases I would bet the picture quality would be more than acceptable, assuming that the rate shaper in front of the encoders favors whichever stream is showing sports or action at the time.

This would be a good way to get OTA HD out to people who wouldn't get it otherwise, together with a full rate 720p feed for the cable companies and DBS via fiber.

It might suck to see artifacts now and then but I'd take that over no HD to begin with.
post #162 of 3320 Old 11-23-2005, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slykens View Post

I wish I knew when Adelphia was going to get it done.

I don't think you'll be much better off with DirecTV. You might be able to get HD waivers but that could take up to 45 days. I have D* right next to Adelphia at my house and Adelphia overall picture quality kicks DirecTV's butt. D* simply overcompresses everything to the point that the motion artifacts on SD channels are more annoying than the degraded analog picture from Adelphia. For HD its no contest, as far as I know Adelphia does not rate shape or re-encode anything, and the bit rates I've seen on the wire seem to show that they only place 2 HD streams in each 38 Mbps QAM256 channel.

Waviers are very hard to come by from DirecTV. CBS is the only station in this market where you'll get the support of the local broadcaster and that usually will get you CBS-HD on D*. I haven't heard of anyone successfully getting waviers for any of the other -HD networks that wasn't grandfathered in with SD network waviers from "the before time".

On HD PQ, Certain things on D* look (to me) as good as OTA HD from PSX (sorry, WPSU) and NBC, while other things are not. For instance, Sunday Ticket games look just dandy in HD, but the same NFL game on FOX-NY HD doesn't look so hot.
On the plus side, D* knows their PQ sucks and will comp you for the HD service if you ask. I haven't paid for a month of HD service yet and I've been subscribed to the HD package for close to a year.

They say that the D* move to MP4 will clear up a lot of these issues, but that is still a year+ away for our market, with only the top 35 markets announced for 2006 so far.. (Now that Arainespace finally managed to get Spaceway 2 in orbit, maybe D* will make some more announcements..)
post #163 of 3320 Old 11-27-2005, 11:43 AM

Quote:

Who is the contact at WJAC? I was showing a friend how bad the HD reception was around here on Saturday and had no luck getting NBC-HD. If they're really at full power, I'd love to know.

After tinkering with my antenna setup I've been able to get the signal strength for WJAC-DT (34) up to around a nice stable 50-60 on my HD-Tivo. I can now get all of the local affiliates in digital. Maybe some day more than just JAC and PSX will be HD.
post #164 of 3320 Old 11-28-2005, 06:06 AM

Quote:

After tinkering with my antenna setup I've been able to get the signal strength for WJAC-DT (34) up to around a nice stable 50-60 on my HD-Tivo. I can now get all of the local affiliates in digital. Maybe some day more than just JAC and PSX will be HD.

Where are you pointed with respect to the Altoona stations to max out WJAC (number of degrees). Also what type of antenna are you using and what type of signal booster?

I am not an electronics person and do not have any type of meters ect to measure signal strength. Is there any cheap meters out there to measure this?

I have a UHF Yagi antenna and a channel Master signal booster along with a rotor, so that I can point the antenna in any direction. I did not see a noticable improvement when WJAC went to "full" power, but perhaps I am aiming my antenna in the wrong direction.

In addition, does the forum have any thoughts with regards to picking up VHF signals from long distances compared to UHF. With my setup right now, I can pick up a very good signal (clear picture) for the analog signals for 22 (CBS) and 28 (NBC) in addition to digital (HD) for (ABC) 49.X and 45.X (FOX) from Wilkes Barre/Scranton. Their digital sites for CBS and NBC HD are 11.x and 13.x. Would this be feasible to expect to pick these up (with a signal booster) from 100+ miles.
In other words which is easier to receive from long distances VHF or UHF?

Thanks for any replies.
post #165 of 3320 Old 11-30-2005, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkydink View Post

Where are you pointed with respect to the Altoona stations to max out WJAC (number of degrees). Also what type of antenna are you using and what type of signal booster?

I am not an electronics person and do not have any type of meters ect to measure signal strength. Is there any cheap meters out there to measure this?

I use the following site to figure out the general direction, then I had to spend some time just tapping the antenna left and right a bit while watching the signal strength meter on the tuner. It was very remeniscient of pointing my first DiSH Network Dish.

http://www.2150.com/broadcast/default.asp ... (Someone (maybe me? :\\ ) posted the link earlier in the thread.)

I get my signal strength reading from the HD-Tivo's setup screens. I don't know what units the numbers are in, but they go from 0 to 100 or so and operate on the "more is better" philosophy. Anything above about 40 means it can decode the digital picture successfully and I get to watch that channel..

I think I may have also posted my exact setup earlier in the thread as well, but it's a Radio Shack UHF Yagi and RS amp. I keep flirting with buying a 8 bay bowtie antenna and channelmaster 777x amp, but the spirit just hasn't moved me to do it yet.
post #166 of 3320 Old 11-30-2005, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
*SOUND THE TRUMPETS*

Adelphia has notified me today that thier new HD line up is scheduled to launch Dec 10th 2005!!!

Their HD line up will be as follows:

703 WPSX HD
705 WATM HD
706 WJAC HD
708 WWCP HD
710 WTAJ HD
750 HD HBO
751 HD SHOWTIME
752 HD STARZ
753 HD CINEMAX
770 HD NET HD
771 HD MOVIES HD
772 ESPN HD ESPN
773 ESPN2 HD ESPN2 HD
774 INHD1 iNDemand HD
775 INHD2 iNDemand HD
776 DISC HD Discovery HD
777 NFL HD NFL Network HD

Let me just say... IT'S ABOUT FREAKIN TIME!
post #167 of 3320 Old 11-30-2005, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by antman006 View Post

Their HD line up will be as follows:

703 WPSX HD
705 WATM HD
706 WJAC HD
708 WWCP HD
710 WTAJ HD

I certainly agree it is about freaking time but I don't know how successful they're going to be with WATM-HD at this point.

My understanding is the fiber to do this isn't in place yet and that they're hoping to have it in place by the Superbowl. I don't know if WATM even has an HD encoder yet but I'll find out. I have a meeting with WATM/WWCP next Wednesday to see if the ISP I'm partnered in can help. A nice DVB/ASI over IP solution would be great for the area cable companies and TV stations.

And WTAJ-HD doesn't exist now, and only could exist in June/July based on the email another poster said he received if all goes well in the budget process.

It will be nice if WWCP-HD is up so that we can get 24 in HD. My guess is this is dependent upon the same fiber as WATM-HD as they originate from the same location in Johnstown.
post #168 of 3320 Old 12-02-2005, 05:18 AM

Todays paper has an announcement from Adelphia, "coming soon"

12 new digital channels as well as "6 new high def channels"........

Doesn't seem too promising that the network locals will be passing high def feeds....

I really wanted to see Penn State in high def in the ROSE BOWL.
post #169 of 3320 Old 12-02-2005, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve shisler View Post

Todays paper has an announcement from Adelphia, "coming soon"

12 new digital channels as well as "6 new high def channels"........

Doesn't seem too promising that the network locals will be passing high def feeds....

I really wanted to see Penn State in high def in the ROSE BOWL.

I think the 12 new digital channels are already on the wire, I spent some time last night with the QAM256 tuner and looked at where things appear to be laid out.

When I last did it most of the high def channels were in the 520-550 MHz range, now they're in the 570-600 MHz range. Things are moving around so they're definitely preparing for this. The new HD didn't appear to be on the wire yet, I still counted the proper number of streams. Dunno, could be wrong, its *all* encrypted except for the audio channels, so I'm eventually going to have to ask why the locals are encrypted. ARGH!

But we're not going to see the BCS bowls in HD even if Adelphia were prepared as WATM appears to be rushing to meet a Superbowl deadline.

You could go see it in person, I plan to go to any bowl but the Rose. The ticket/hotel package from Amex for Orange or Fiesta are both under $550, the package for the Rose is $1675 pp. Ouch!

EDIT: Here's the ad from Adelphia: http://newspaperads.centredaily.com/...14687&cat=3315
post #170 of 3320 Old 12-02-2005, 10:44 AM

Quote:

But we're not going to see the BCS bowls in HD even if Adelphia were prepared as WATM appears to be rushing to meet a Superbowl deadline.

Any insight on the odds that they will meet their deadline?

If they do, SUPERBOWL PARTY at my house.

I hope the Lions make the Rose, but if not, enjoy you're bowl excursion. It's been a great ride this year for sure.

Go Buffalos and Bruins!!!!
post #171 of 3320 Old 12-03-2005, 08:24 AM

Quote:

I think the 12 new digital channels are already on the wire, I spent some time last night with the QAM256 tuner and looked at where things appear to be laid out.

When I last did it most of the high def channels were in the 520-550 MHz range, now they're in the 570-600 MHz range. Things are moving around so they're definitely preparing for this. The new HD didn't appear to be on the wire yet, I still counted the proper number of streams. Dunno, could be wrong, its *all* encrypted except for the audio channels, so I'm eventually going to have to ask why the locals are encrypted. ARGH!

You could go see it in person, I plan to go to any bowl but the Rose. The ticket/hotel package from Amex for Orange or Fiesta are both under $550, the package for the Rose is $1675 pp. Ouch!

EDIT: Here's the ad from Adelphia: http://newspaperads.centredaily.com/...14687&cat=3315

Too bad WATM can't get things going before the BCS bowls, but they could make up for it by getting the Superbowl. I'll keep my fingers crossed! Hopefully Adelphia will add the HD channels as advertised on Dec. 10th.

Slykens: What website did you go through for Orange/Fiesta bowl packages quoted? You can PM me if you don't want to post here. Thanks!

--Steve
post #172 of 3320 Old 12-04-2005, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve911 View Post

Slykens: What website did you go through for Orange/Fiesta bowl packages quoted? You can PM me if you don't want to post here.

American Express Platinum Travel Service is who I spoke to about it.

Sounds fancy, basically its the often overpriced internal travel agency for Platinum card holders. They have an external group they work with for tours. I'll see if I can get the phone number from them and send it to you in the morning.

I spent about 90 minutes on the phone with them to put together a air/hotel/car package that was going to be about $1250 pp for four of us, I built my own on Orbitz for $956 pp, two rooms at each hotel too.

I ended up getting on StubHub tonight and bought four tickets for what worked out to $360 per. When I add in for the beach hotel we're staying at in Miami we're at $535 per person, about the same price for the components of the Amex package, but I'm also spending 3 days in Tampa near my best friend's place, flying down, and getting a rental car for a week for the $956 number.

I learned an expensive and valuable lesson... When Penn State locked up a BCS berth I knew I wasn't going to pay to go to the Rose and that Orange or Fiesta were my choices. If I would have bought tickets then I'd have paid only $675 for four for the Orange Bowl and probably about $750 for the Fiesta. And its not like I wouldn't have been able to sell the ones I didn't need.
post #173 of 3320 Old 12-10-2005, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Is it any surprise that the new channels on Adelphia in State College didn't go live as one of the members here was told?

Wonder what the next excuse will be.
post #174 of 3320 Old 12-10-2005, 10:57 AM

They will probably blame it on the weather.

Anyone have any ideas on the best way to gripe to Adelphia might be? They have managed to eliminate local telephone numbers.

On an unrelated topic, does anyone here have HBO from Adelphia, and if so, are you able to watch it on channel 2 without one of their digital boxes? I had added HBO about 2 months ago when I picked up a couple of their HD boxes. Cannot get HBO on any of the none DVR televisions. I had called to inquire about why the TV guide states it is on channel 2 and was told by the CSR that the TV guide must not be up to date.

Any insight is appreciated.
post #175 of 3320 Old 12-10-2005, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Anyone have any ideas on the best way to gripe to Adelphia might be? They have managed to eliminate local telephone numbers.

On an unrelated topic, does anyone here have HBO from Adelphia, and if so, are you able to watch it on channel 2 without one of their digital boxes? I had added HBO about 2 months ago when I picked up a couple of their HD boxes. Cannot get HBO on any of the none DVR televisions. I had called to inquire about why the TV guide states it is on channel 2 and was told by the CSR that the TV guide must not be up to date.

I'd drop in to their office on Benner Pike and ask one of the CSRs to speak with a manager and ask them directly what the story is.

As to HBO, it comes in fine on my regular old TV on channel 2. Sounds like they never came to your house to change the filters.
post #176 of 3320 Old 12-10-2005, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

WPSU appears to be on the wire at 717 MHz, vid 0x31 aid 0x34. I'm going to finish working my way through with the QAM256 tuner.

Unfortunately it looks like its the OTA feed from PBS, 1080i at 14-15 Mbps. :/

Unfortunately that probably means no FOX in HD yet.

Without thorough testing it looks like HD streams at:

717 MHz vid 0x31 aid 0x34 WPSU
711 MHz vid 0x20 aid 0x21 unknown
711 MHz vid 0x24 aid 0x25 unknown
705 MHz vid 0x23 aid 0x20 unknown
591 MHz vid 0x20 aid 0x21 unknown
591 MHz vid 0x26 aid 0x24 unknown
585 MHz vid 0x24 aid 0x20 unknown
585 MHz vid 0x26 aid 0x27 unknown
579 MHz vid 0x21 aid 0x24 unknown
579 MHz vid 0x31 aid 0x34 unknown
573 MHz vid 0x20 aid 0x21/0x24 unknown
573 MHz vid 0x351 aid 0x354 unknown
567 MHz vid 0x22 aid 0x20 unknown
567 MHz vid 0x26 aid 0x24 unknown

That looks like 14 to me, the number we should be getting according to the ad. I need to sit down and map out a little better what is what. It looks like its all on the wire but hasn't been added to the guides yet.

There's also a ton of unencrypted audio channels at 699 MHz.
post #177 of 3320 Old 12-11-2005, 09:10 AM

Quote:

WPSU appears to be on the wire at 717 MHz, vid 0x31 aid 0x34. I'm going to finish working my way through with the QAM256 tuner.

There's also a ton of unencrypted audio channels at 699 MHz.

So does that mean they're encrypting everything but WPSU? Or just that you haven't gotten around to mapping them all yet?
post #178 of 3320 Old 12-11-2005, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

So does that mean they're encrypting everything but WPSU? Or just that you haven't gotten around to mapping them all yet?

Everything else is encrypted. After they get this pushed out to the guides I'm going to call and ask why WJAC-DT is encrypted.

Once they finish this the DCT will tell me what frequency each channel is on so I can map the encrypted streams to channel at least but not to individual pids.

It looks like the modulators are in place for channels 61-65, the new analog channels, but nothing is on them yet. Maybe they'll get this done over the weekend, who knows, but unless they're just testing WPSU-DT I'm surprised it isn't in the guide yet.

EDIT: Adelphia has a big ad in the paper today with the new lineup. It is WPSU only, no WWCP yet. I'll have to dig into this more to find out when they plan to get WWCP and if they plan to have WATM at launch.
post #179 of 3320 Old 12-11-2005, 04:08 PM

Quote:

Adelphia must make a house-call and change the filtering for the feed into your house. When we added Ecore, Starz, and HBO, I had to set up a daytime appointment.
post #180 of 3320 Old 12-11-2005, 06:44 PM

Quote:

Everything else is encrypted. After they get this pushed out to the guides I'm going to call and ask why WJAC-DT is encrypted.

Once they finish this the DCT will tell me what frequency each channel is on so I can map the encrypted streams to channel at least but not to individual pids.

It looks like the modulators are in place for channels 61-65, the new analog channels, but nothing is on them yet. Maybe they'll get this done over the weekend, who knows, but unless they're just testing WPSU-DT I'm surprised it isn't in the guide yet.

EDIT: Adelphia has a big ad in the paper today with the new lineup. It is WPSU only, no WWCP yet. I'll have to dig into this more to find out when they plan to get WWCP and if they plan to have WATM at launch.

Well, I wonder if they'll ever sell an hd-only package, or if I'll have to buy a whole bunch of junk analog programming just to get the HD channels.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page