Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 3320 Old 01-16-2006, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by slykens View Post

I would imagine that with a rooftop antenna you could get WATM-DT. It is a 1 MW transmitter at a range of 28 miles, even if there is a ridge in between.

Some day WWCP and WATM will pass HD. I hope that day is sooner rather than later.

Thanx, but I'm not a fan of roof antennas to begin with and I own a smallish ranch which just wouldn't look right in my neighborhood with a roof antenna, even though I usually never let aesthetics get in the way of my hobby.

I did send a nice friendly Email to Mr. Quitoni, the GM at WWCP/WATM and did emphasize that I "only" want the HD waiver so maybe I'll get lucky with D*.

Thanx again!

Fred
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 3320 Old 01-16-2006, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slykens View Post

I don't know about the Sharpshooter. You need to take a look at the gain and 3 dB beam width for the antenna to make a comparison to an 8-bay bowtie. An 8-bay bowtie will typically have about 12 dB of gain in the channel range we want to be in. Off the top of my head I forget what the pattern looks like so I can't speak to beam width. Keep in mind that beam width is typically tightly related to gain. A higher gain/tigher beam width equals a more directional antenna.

At short ranges ( <40 miles or so) the bowtie will work fine for high-VHF channels.

If the problem is multipath a higher gain/tighter pattern antenna will help to a certain extent as it will be less sensitive to off-axis reflections.

I have to admit that I don't think there's much you can do downtown at the moment. I could certainly be very wrong. At my location I am shooting over downtown and all but WWCP-DT come in fine 99% of the time.

What model receiver are you trying to use? Do you know what generation chipset it is?

Unless you're going to be able to get the antenna up on the roof you won't get WJAC-DT from Johnstown... Have you tried a simple set of rabbit ears?

Do you mean the HDTV receiver? If so, I am using the tuner in the Sony KD-30XS955. I will do some reading to determine the chipset.

I have not tried rabbit ears (I don't have a set).

Now for the update...the TV was delivered on Saturday morning. I hooked up the cable and ran the Auto Program feature. As mentioned before, I have D&E Communications analog (no STB). The TV detected well over 100 digital stations but I only got the music stations. All of my TV stations were the same except that I now get WPSU (channels 3.1 and 3.2). I guess the signal is so strong that I can receive it without an antenna?

I then connected the Sharpshooter 3000. With it on top of the TV I was able to get WPSU only (channels 3.1 and 3.2). I ran an 8 or 10 foot length of coax out to the balcony of my apartment and put the antenna on a small table and pointed it south. I rescanned for digitals and then got WATM-DT and WTAJ-DT in addition to WPSU-DT. Not surprisingly, I did not get WJAC-DT.

After reading this thread and others about OTA reception I was surprised I got the channels from Altoona in downtown State College. However, I think it helped that I have a pretty clear view towards the south from my balcony.

As an aside, I sent an email to D&E Communications and asked them if they have any plans to add HD content to their digital packages. They responded and said they do not plan to offer HD programming in the near future.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #243 of 3320 Old 01-17-2006, 04:31 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by paguy05 View Post

hey jiml i live in johnstown in the valley part. i can get channel 29 and 34 easly. and can get signals from altoon just cant get them to lock on. im sure they will if i put my antenna up on the roft. i know people getting pittsburgh channels from here so why dont u try to get pittsburgh channels or altoona senes you live on the top of mountain jiml.

I have no problem getting 29 & 34. I have had an "outside" antenna installer come and check the house with his rather large antenna to see if there was anything else I could get before putting up an actual antenna outside - result was neglible. Nothing, not even a blip from Altoona direction. Yes I know of others that have varying degrees of success with the Pittsburgh channels, and it seems that it depends on where they live, I must be too close to the side of the mountain or something.
post #244 of 3320 Old 01-17-2006, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimL View Post

I have no problem getting 29 & 34. I have had an "outside" antenna installer come and check the house with his rather large antenna to see if there was anything else I could get before putting up an actual antenna outside - result was neglible. Nothing, not even a blip from Altoona direction. Yes I know of others that have varying degrees of success with the Pittsburgh channels, and it seems that it depends on where they live, I must be too close to the side of the mountain or something.

i was looking for a installing but couldnt fine one do you remember the installer company name?
post #245 of 3320 Old 01-17-2006, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimL View Post

How long ago did you have the test done?

WATM-DT and WTAJ-DT went to full power over the summer. I would find it hard to believe that you can't get *anything* from Altoona now that they're at 1 MW and 883 kW respectively. Possbile but hard to believe, like the last five minutes of the Steeler-Colts game.
post #246 of 3320 Old 01-17-2006, 11:00 AM

Guess what! Just spoke with Atlantic broadband reprenstives, good news is that they are hoping to get ABC-HD to work before superbowl. Other than that, I asked about CBS KDKA and they said we are not having CBS-HD from them. In addition, I asked about channel 776, they mentioned me that it's a reserved channel space for future New HD channel.
post #247 of 3320 Old 01-17-2006, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0uble2d View Post

Guess what! Just spoke with Atlantic broadband reprenstives, good news is that they are hoping to get ABC-HD to work before superbowl. Other than that, I asked about CBS KDKA and they said we are not having CBS-HD from them. In addition, I asked about channel 776, they mentioned me that it's a reserved channel space for future New HD channel.

What areas do Atlantic broadband serve? I live in SC and currently use adelphia, but the lack of network HD is killing me.
post #248 of 3320 Old 01-17-2006, 12:25 PM

Atlantic Broadband serves in Altoona, Holidaysburg, Tyrone and johnstown market.
post #249 of 3320 Old 01-18-2006, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkahn View Post

I will be heading out to State College this summer and have started looking into television options. I apologize for the newbie nature of this question but I was wondering if someone could post the HD channels that I can get from cable in 2006? I am a antenna idiot so I am going to have to use either cable or directv...

These are the HD channels available from Adelphia in State College:

PBS HD
NBC HD
ESPN HD
ESPN2 HD
HDNET
HD HBO
HD SHOWTIME
HD CINEMAX
HD STARZ
HDN MOVIES
Discovery HD
iNDemand HD
iNDemand HD 2
NFL HD

D&E Communications is the only other cable company in State College AFAIK. As I mentioned in another post, they indicated they have no plans to offer HD in the near future.

I don't know about DirecTV

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #250 of 3320 Old 01-18-2006, 08:20 AM

I have a friend who uses D&E and he said they offer 7 HD channels. He is the only person I know who uses D & E, so he could easily be mistaken.
post #251 of 3320 Old 01-18-2006, 11:26 AM

Thanks for the information, that is very helpful. I know Directv is starting to offer local channels in HD (or at least that is what they told me) but I think it is only in certain markets.
post #252 of 3320 Old 01-18-2006, 09:38 PM

These are the HD channels available from Atlantic Broadband in Altoona, PA:

770 NBC-HD
771 PBS-HD
772 TNT-HD
773FOX-HD

776 (NO PICTURE SHOWN) RESERVED channel DKAHD ????

781 ESPNHD
782 Supposely ESPN-2HD and Where the F**K is it?
773 OUTDOOR2 HD
774 DISCOVERY HD THEATER
775 STARZ-HD

791 HBO-HD
792 CINEMAX-HD

We've been told 8 MONTHS AGO that we'll be getting ESPN-2HD and now they are telling me they are still neogiating on contract for it. Now I'm hearing new rumors about reserved channed on 776 which will be CBS. In addition, the techincans are telling me that they are going to broadcast ABC-HD right before the Superbowl, so that means another channel will come up.

Who knows..

Let's just sit back and wait til it goes LIVE.
post #253 of 3320 Old 01-18-2006, 09:48 PM

Quote:

I will be calling them tomorrow again to be sure. When you look at the channel now, it still shows on the screen that you have to call to order it, but when you look in the guide, the channel listing is there, and the lineup follows KDKA's lineup exactly. Also, when you look at all the other channels we have that are the HD feed of the locals, they all are missing the first call letter (ie wjac is listed as jachd, wwcp is listed as wcphd) and this channel is labeled as dkahd.
post #254 of 3320 Old 01-19-2006, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uefigs139 View Post

I will be calling them tomorrow again to be sure. When you look at the channel now, it still shows on the screen that you have to call to order it, but when you look in the guide, the channel listing is there, and the lineup follows KDKA's lineup exactly. Also, when you look at all the other channels we have that are the HD feed of the locals, they all are missing the first call letter (ie wjac is listed as jachd, wwcp is listed as wcphd) and this channel is labeled as dkahd.

I called them this morning. The channel is now live! They had to do a reset of my box, so if the channel is still not showing up, give them a call. I can't wait for this weekends game! They also told me ABC would be on by January 28th.
post #255 of 3320 Old 01-19-2006, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paguy05 View Post

i was looking for a installing but couldnt fine one do you remember the installer company name?

I would also be interested in finding someone to do these tests.
post #256 of 3320 Old 01-19-2006, 09:27 AM

Whooo HOoooo CBS-HD is running LIVE! FINALLY! But didnt ask about ABC and hopefully before superbowl.. So I decide to call ABC 23/FOX office and spoke with ABC 23 engineer and they said they have 2 equipment ready for HD, but they are waiting for other piece coming by Jan 28th. Their goal is to run LIVE by 30th or 31st.

I think we'll have ABC-HD for superbowl.
post #257 of 3320 Old 01-19-2006, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjg247 View Post

I have a friend who uses D&E and he said they offer 7 HD channels. He is the only person I know who uses D & E, so he could easily be mistaken.

He must be mistaken. I have D&E so I was interested if they would be offering HD anytime soon. I emailed them and received a reply a few days later. They indicated that they have no plans to offer HD in the near future. It's quite possible your friend picked up locals when he ran an auto program routine on his set (although 7 HD channels seems like a lot). He may also be mistaking digital channels he picked up unencrypted for HD channels.

post #258 of 3320 Old 01-20-2006, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

I have a question regarding the digital networks. When I run an auto program scan using my HDTV I picked up three digital channels (all WPSU): 3.1, 3.2, and 3.3. Does this mean that D&E Communications sends WPSU's digital signal unencrypted over their cable? If so, why am I not getting WJAC as a digital station? If I understand correctly, the cable companies aren't allowed to encrypt the networks. Thanks for your help.

post #259 of 3320 Old 01-20-2006, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferadam View Post

I have a question regarding the digital networks. When I run an auto program scan using my HDTV I picked up three digital channels (all WPSU): 3.1, 3.2, and 3.3. Does this mean that D&E Communications sends WPSU's digital signal unencrypted over their cable? If so, why am I not getting WJAC as a digital station? If I understand correctly, the cable companies aren't allowed to encrypt the networks. Thanks for your help.

Unless D&E is simply receiving the digital stream and putting it on the wire in QAM I would suggest that the source is the over-the-air transmission as the PSIP data is what causes the TV to see the channels as 3.1, 3.2, and 3.3

Try disconnecting the cable from the wall or the TV and rescan to see if it still picks it up. If it does not see if you can get the TV to tell you how it is receiving it, ie ATSC Channel 15, or QAM Channel ?.
post #260 of 3320 Old 01-21-2006, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Whooo HOoooo CBS-HD is running LIVE! FINALLY! But didnt ask about ABC and hopefully before superbowl.. So I decide to call ABC 23/FOX office and spoke with ABC 23 engineer and they said they have 2 equipment ready for HD, but they are waiting for other piece coming by Jan 28th. Their goal is to run LIVE by 30th or 31st.

I think we'll have ABC-HD for superbowl.

Does this mean Off-Air also, or only through atlantic broadband? And if ABC is HD, will Fox be also since they come out of the same office?
post #261 of 3320 Old 01-21-2006, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbooty View Post

Does this mean Off-Air also, or only through atlantic broadband? And if ABC is HD, will Fox be also since they come out of the same office?

The CBS HD feed we get througt atlantic broadband is from KDKA in Pittsburgh. They broadcast it OTA, but only people from Johnstown with really good antennas can pick it up. We already have Fox here in HD, but it is also only available over cable. ABC HD will only be available over cable at first as well.
post #262 of 3320 Old 01-21-2006, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

The CBS HD feed we get througt atlantic broadband is from KDKA in Pittsburgh. They broadcast it OTA, but only people from Johnstown with really good antennas can pick it up. We already have Fox here in HD, but it is also only available over cable. ABC HD will only be available over cable at first as well.

So there is not much hope of HD superbowl for OTA folk it sounds like.
post #263 of 3320 Old 01-21-2006, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone know if Adelphia will be getting ABC HD at the same time that Atlantic Broadband does?

post #264 of 3320 Old 01-22-2006, 10:50 AM

I'm not getting CBS in HD with Atlantic Broadband, either KDKA or WTAJ. I called up Atlantic Broadband like was suggested here and the "customer service" rep I talked to said that CBS is not yet available in HiDef. She said the channel is reserved for future HD broadcast but it is not yet being used. I don't know how eufigs is getting CBS, but I'm not and I was told it is not yet available. I also asked about ABC, and she couldn't give me a date on that either. I then asked specifically about the Super Bowl, and she said she didn't know anything about that, either. Quite a wealth of information. She said she would check with a manager and get back to me (she took my phone number). I'm not holding my breath, but I'll report what they tell me.

I can't wait to get CBS in HD.
post #265 of 3320 Old 01-22-2006, 01:44 PM

Just watching the AFC championship in glorious CBS-HD , flipped over to Ch 86 on DirecTV (NY-ABC-HD) and I've got it. My waiver must have finally cleared! Nothing on Ch 88 FOX-HD yet, but I will be watching the Super Bowl in HD.

Fred
post #266 of 3320 Old 01-22-2006, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanbrew View Post

I'm not getting CBS in HD with Atlantic Broadband, either KDKA or WTAJ. I called up Atlantic Broadband like was suggested here and the "customer service" rep I talked to said that CBS is not yet available in HiDef. She said the channel is reserved for future HD broadcast but it is not yet being used. I don't know how eufigs is getting CBS, but I'm not and I was told it is not yet available. I also asked about ABC, and she couldn't give me a date on that either. I then asked specifically about the Super Bowl, and she said she didn't know anything about that, either. Quite a wealth of information. She said she would check with a manager and get back to me (she took my phone number). I'm not holding my breath, but I'll report what they tell me.

I can't wait to get CBS in HD.

did you call the local number or the national number? The national people told me when i first noticed the channel that it was cbs, but it wouldn't be live until the contract was complete. The people in the altoona office (814-946-5491) knew exactly what I was talking about and reset my box so i would get the channel. be sure you call them between 9-5 mon-fri so you talk to someone in the office instead of having the call forwarded to the national call center. the hd cbs channel is KDKA, not WTAJ. the steelers game today was stunning. hopefully they follow through on their abc promise, because i am planning on one hell of a super bowl bash!
post #267 of 3320 Old 01-23-2006, 04:17 AM

Quote:

did you call the local number or the national number? The national people told me when i first noticed the channel that it was cbs, but it wouldn't be live until the contract was complete. The people in the altoona office (814-946-5491) knew exactly what I was talking about and reset my box so i would get the channel. be sure you call them between 9-5 mon-fri so you talk to someone in the office instead of having the call forwarded to the national call center. the hd cbs channel is KDKA, not WTAJ. the steelers game today was stunning. hopefully they follow through on their abc promise, because i am planning on one hell of a super bowl bash!

I called 888-536-9600. I'll try the Altoona number today during business hours and see what happens. I sure hope you're right about the Super Bowl, too. Where do you live, uefigs? I live in Roaring Spring.

-----------------update 2:15 PM---------------

I called the 946-5491 and they were able to send a signal to my cable box and turn on the KDKA HD channel. It seems to be working fine, and I'll have to check it out this evening when there is HD programming on. Thanks for hte tip, uefigs.

I asked again about ABC and the Super Bowl, but she said she has not gotten any word about ABC or the super bowl being available in HD. I'll check back again next week with the cable company and see what the status is. If anyone here finds out about the super bowl being made available on ABB in HD, please post the details here.
post #268 of 3320 Old 01-24-2006, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

I wanted to post my experience with D&E Communications since I know several of the posters in this thread live in State College. I am provided with their Extended Basic cable service as part of my lease agreement with my apartment (otherwise I would probably be an Adelphia customer). I subscribe to their broadband internet service and have had no major problems to speak of.
I decided to upgrade to their digital service so I could see how the digital channels look on my Sony KD-30XS955. They offer 39 digital stations plus 38 music stations. I was already picking up the music stations with my built-in tuner so the only addition is the 39 digital stations which were encrypted. I asked about CableCard availability and they did not know what I was talking about. I explained it and they said they have no plans to offer it. As mentioned in another post, I previously inquired about HD programming and they said they have no plans to offer that either. I obtained their set-top-box on Friday and took it home to install. It is a General Instruments (Motorola knock-off) and only has RF and composite connections. I called them and asked if they had other boxes with an HDMI, component, or S-Video connections. They said they do not. I connected the box using the composite connections (I wanted to reserve my two RF inputs on the TV for an analog connection and my OTA antenna). I was able to receive all of the digital channels (including the premium movie channels). I assume they give you everything for the first month since it is free. The PQ on some of the movie channels is excellent. Other channels look similar to an analog picture. Also, my analog channels are still analog despite the fact the website makes it seem like they would be digital. This is from their website:

See the Digital Difference

Digital cable TV offers many advantages over the old standard analog cable service. The first being clearer, crisper and sharper image quality from the same channels.

Is it typical that the analogs are still analog when subscribing to a digital package? I don't have much experience with cable providers and their digital packages. I do believe that Adelphia's analogs are still analog with their digital package. From what I understand the analogs bypass the digital tuner and are just outputted as analog.

After about 30 minutes of viewing, the box started turning itself on and off for no reason. I suspect it is overheating but I have it in a well-ventilated area with nothing on top of it. I called their technical support and they told me to unplug it from my surge protector and plug it in directly to the wall. I tried that and it didn't malfunction until it had been on for about 2 hours. I called them back today and they said I can bring it back and exchange it for a different one. They said there would be a charge if someone came out and replaced it.

To summarize, D&E sucks. They have minimal offerings and use lousy equipment. I guess it's nice that they do offer a digital package, but I think that is expected in most decent sized markets at this point.

post #269 of 3320 Old 01-24-2006, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferadam View Post

Is it typical that the analogs are still analog when subscribing to a digital package? I don't have much experience with cable providers and their digital packages. I do believe that Adelphia's analogs are still analog with their digital package. From what I understand the analogs bypass the digital tuner and are just outputted as analog.

To summarize, D&E sucks. They have minimal offerings and use lousy equipment. I guess it's nice that they do offer a digital package, but I think that is expected in most decent sized markets at this point.

It is normal for the analog channels to still be analog even with digital cable. Very few cable companies are offering digital simulcast due to bandwidth requirements.

D&E was originally created as Telebeam, an in-hosue cable company for the Sahakians and various other properties downtown. Their original headend was next to Bryce Jordan Tower in the Uni-Mart building. Eventually they were bought out by Conestoga (CEI) and then D&E. They're not really intended to offer competitive services to DirecTV or Adelphia, just a cheap offering of most basic cable channels for students.

I also believe that CableCard is required by law now, but it may only be required for cable systems of certain sizes or providing HD service. Check with the FCC for more information on that. See 47 CFR 76.1204 for the actual regs.
post #270 of 3320 Old 01-24-2006, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the background Slykens. A friend of mine that had D&E before said they had told him they were planning to offer CableCard soon, but as I mentioned the guy I spoke to didn't know what it was. I will ask the woman at the office about it when I go to swap my STB this week.
That same friend just called and said he noticed on the Adelphia website that State College is listed as having WATM HD now on channel 723. He has not had a chance to check and see if it is broadcasting HD yet. Has anyone noticed? I am sure they will have it before the Superbowl.
Why is it that they will have WATM HD but not WWCP? I thought they broadcasted from the same place/were owned by the same people. I guess it has to do with the multiplexing.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page