post #2881 of 3319 Old 10-14-2009, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by salemtubes View Post

Upzedayzm, both of the antennas you're recommending to MeowMeow are far inferior to the YA-1713 for VHF high band reception. The YA-1713 is probably the best antenna currently available in the USA for high band VHF reception only. His only other viable alternative is an antenna like the Winegard HD8200U which is a huge all band (channels 2 through 69) antenna, and it may not work either.

I was having this conversation in a technical thread, and some of the folks there seem to think my pre-amp may be overloading the VHF antenna.

I'll have to wait until I get a nice day to try it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2882 of 3319 Old 10-14-2009, 02:09 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowMeow View Post

I was having this conversation in a technical thread, and some of the folks there seem to think my pre-amp may be overloading the VHF antenna.

I'll have to wait until I get a nice day to try it.

You might want to try a variable attenuator between the preamp's power supply and your television. If, indeed, you are experiencing overload, you might want to repace your current preamplifier with the Winegard HDP-269. The HDP-269 has much lower gain and is far less susceptible to overload than other preamplifiers on the market.
post #2883 of 3319 Old 10-16-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upzdayzm View Post

By the way, just renewed my progamming on NPS for the BUD for the year...hope it lasts that long! Sad the way that's going. Have had c- band since the spring of "84". Have not gone FTA as yet...

It is a shame what has happened to NPS.

You should get on the FTA bandwagon. It is like the early days of BUD, as you never know what you'll find.
post #2884 of 3319 Old 10-23-2009, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvdigital View Post

http://www.wnep.com/wnep-translater-...,7960793.story

In the near future Scranton-Wikes Barre ABC channel 16 will change their State College translator channel 36 to digital.

This will provide State College with an ABC with a higher PQ than watm 23.

The WNEP translator is now up and running.
post #2885 of 3319 Old 11-06-2009, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

That would be W36BE-D @ 0.205 KW.

Possibly more interference for my reception of WTTG.
post #2886 of 3319 Old 11-09-2009, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

The tropo is so bad lately, I can't get WTTG.
post #2887 of 3319 Old 11-14-2009, 12:41 PM

So been trying to setup a HTPC for a local buddy, we have 2 Asus PE9400 combo cards with ATSC/QAM and ANALOG tuners on each one. Analog works perfectly fine, but we get nothing over the QAM tuner. This is Windows 7 media center. I guess my question is, is there anyone in the Johnstown area using a QAM tuner on atlanticbb. Also, the customer has atlantic's HD local service, I plugged his box into the cable we're using and it worked immediately, so I know its not a signal thing. Any insight would be greatly appreciated! TIA!
post #2888 of 3319 Old 11-16-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robry View Post

So been trying to setup a HTPC for a local buddy, we have 2 Asus PE9400 combo cards with ATSC/QAM and ANALOG tuners on each one. Analog works perfectly fine, but we get nothing over the QAM tuner. This is Windows 7 media center. I guess my question is, is there anyone in the Johnstown area using a QAM tuner on atlanticbb. Also, the customer has atlantic's HD local service, I plugged his box into the cable we're using and it worked immediately, so I know its not a signal thing. Any insight would be greatly appreciated! TIA!

I'm not 100% sure, but it might be due to the fact that ABB is utilizing encrypted QAMs on their system. Does anyone know if ABB uses Clear QAMs at all?

"Modulating carriers since 1987"
post #2889 of 3319 Old 11-17-2009, 03:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75ohms View Post

I'm not 100% sure, but it might be due to the fact that ABB is utilizing encrypted QAMs on their system. Does anyone know if ABB uses Clear QAMs at all?

Locals are clear QAM on ABB.

ÂOne of the few good things about modern times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us.Â
- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #2890 of 3319 Old 11-17-2009, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75ohms View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_MainyYak View Post

Locals are clear QAM on ABB.

thank you gentlemen. We ordered an HDHomeRun tuner and are going to return the asus cards.
post #2891 of 3319 Old 11-18-2009, 01:53 PM

Has anyone noticed some changes with the picture quality on WJAC-HD during their newscasts. It is pretty hard to notice while watching in standard, but in HD, it seems as though a few of the shots of the anchors at the desk are clearer and brighter than previously before. When WJAC upgraded to widescreen 16:9, someone posted that they were in the process of installing HD lenses. I wonder if they are installing them now.
post #2892 of 3319 Old 11-30-2009, 05:34 AM
Advanced Member

WJAC update..
WJAC has filed a second application for a translator in Bedford, this time on channel 29. The original channel 30 app is still alive, but there were numerous questions regarding potential interference with other low power transmitters in south central PA and the MD panhandle.
Meanwhile, the proposal for a ch 26 WJAC translator in DuBois has been modified to a lower power, now 4 Kw instead of the original 5 Kw.
And, there is still no word on when the channel 22 translator in Altoona may be up and running.

ÂOne of the few good things about modern times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us.Â
- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #2893 of 3319 Old 12-01-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:

And, there is still no word on when the channel 22 translator in Altoona may be up and running.

Has there been any word on a translator in the Johnstown area for WPSU. Even one near Altoona may help in the Johnstown region...WQED out of Pittsburgh comes in only at 35/45% most of the time,and a few break-ups in the eve. hours. For me the signal has Been about the same since their switch to 13...sure would like to see WPSU for a change.

"If you want total security,go to prison,there your fed,clothed,given medical care and so on The only thing lacking,,,,,,,,is FREEDOM " Dwight D.Eisenhower
post #2894 of 3319 Old 12-02-2009, 05:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Has there been any word on a translator in the Johnstown area for WPSU. Even one near Altoona may help in the Johnstown region...WQED out of Pittsburgh comes in only at 35/45% most of the time,and a few break-ups in the eve. hours. For me the signal has Been about the same since their switch to 13...sure would like to see WPSU for a change.

They had been considering expanding their DTS to include sites and Altoona and Johnstown, but have apparently dropped those plans for now. The latest filing with the FCC seeks only to license the experimental system they built using the main transmitter in Clearfield and the secondary one in State College.
I do know that one issue they had faced in the Johnstown area was finding a suitable antenna site, but I suspect the economy is as much a factor as anything atm.

- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #2895 of 3319 Old 12-03-2009, 12:13 PM

Thanks for the reply C.O.M.[from another C.O.M.], ....WQED and WPSU seems They are both turning their backs on all these surounding areas.east and south BAH HUMBUG!

"If you want total security,go to prison,there your fed,clothed,given medical care and so on The only thing lacking,,,,,,,,is FREEDOM " Dwight D.Eisenhower
post #2896 of 3319 Old 12-06-2009, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by systems2000 View Post

The tropo is so bad lately, I can't get WTTG.

WTTG is on the edge now.

I've found that WITF has possibly increased their power (-101.4dBm) and I have WGPT coming in via Tropo at -113dBm (according to TVFool.com (WTTG is at -106.8dBm).

Can anyone tell me when WKBS went to 200KW (-110.3)? I'm thinking that this is why I've lost WBFF & ThisTV (-108.6dBm).
post #2897 of 3319 Old 12-08-2009, 02:02 AM

Since many people in this forum are from Johnstown, PA are at least the surrounding area, I was thinking someone could answer this for me.

My friends and I were remember how we got from Charter to Atlantic Broadband, by ABB buying part of Charter.

But we were wondering what ever happened to "Cable Vision of Greater Johnstown" which some sources have "Time Warner" at the end and others don't. Was it both CableVision and Time Warner?

Also, didn't we have a CableCom once?
post #2898 of 3319 Old 12-08-2009, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroOneTwoThree View Post

Since many people in this forum are from Johnstown, PA are at least the surrounding area, I was thinking someone could answer this for me.

My friends and I were remember how we got from Charter to Atlantic Broadband, by ABB buying part of Charter.

But we were wondering what ever happened to "Cable Vision of Greater Johnstown" which some sources have "Time Warner" at the end and others don't. Was it both CableVision and Time Warner?

Also, didn't we have a CableCom once?

Teleprompter Cable was the original cable provider in Johnstown. It was locally owned. There were some financial-political shenanigans that landed the owner and a city council member in prison, and eventually the company was sold. First it was CableVision, which was acquired by Time Warner. T-W sold off a number of cable properties, including Johnstown to Charter Communications. Finally Charter, spun off some of its systems as it and Comcast picked at the carcass of the old Adelphia system. The Johnstown and Altoona systems were sold to Atlantic Broadband.

As I'm pulling this mostly from memory, buyer beware.

- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #2899 of 3319 Old 12-09-2009, 11:53 AM

End of High definition ?.....is the FCC getting ready to make a major flub ? [kindest word I could use] http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/articles...oadcasting.php

post #2900 of 3319 Old 12-09-2009, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Teleprompter Cable was the original cable provider in Johnstown. It was locally owned. There were some financial-political shenanigans that landed the owner and a city council member in prison, and eventually the company was sold. First it was CableVision, which was acquired by Time Warner. T-W sold off a number of cable properties, including Johnstown to Charter Communications. Finally Charter, spun off some of its systems as it and Comcast picked at the carcass of the old Adelphia system. The Johnstown and Altoona systems were sold to Atlantic Broadband.

As I'm pulling this mostly from memory, buyer beware.

Wow...I'm having flashbacks. LOL

I dunno...for the most part, since ABB took over the cable market in this area, things have been generally good. I know there are a LOT fewer outages than there used to be. Other than the usual rate hikes, I'm pretty well happy with ABB (especially since they added the newest HD channels). So my point is, I'm glad (and thankful) that ABB bought out Charter.

DGK
post #2901 of 3319 Old 12-09-2009, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

End of High definition ?.....is the FCC getting ready to make a major flub ? [kindest word I could use] http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/articles...oadcasting.php

They have GOT to be freakin' kidding......

FCC people must be on something to even halfway consider such a stupid thing.

DGK
post #2902 of 3319 Old 12-10-2009, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeKaye07 View Post

Wow...I'm having flashbacks. LOL

I dunno...for the most part, since ABB took over the cable market in this area, things have been generally good. I know there are a LOT fewer outages than there used to be. Other than the usual rate hikes, I'm pretty well happy with ABB (especially since they added the newest HD channels). So my point is, I'm glad (and thankful) that ABB bought out Charter.

DGK

I have to agree. BTW, it appears they are getting ready to add Versus HD.

Quote:

That is one possible, but unlikely outcome of the discussion. I suspect as broadcasters begin to roll out mobile DTV services (thus adding an additional revenue stream), they'll be far less likely to give up any of their spectrum.
This certainly bears a close watch, and if it begins to go anywhere, OTA viewers will have to speak loud and clear to their Senators and representatives in Congress.

- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #2903 of 3319 Old 12-19-2009, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

OTA viewers will have to speak loud and clear to their Senators and representatives in Congress.

Considering the average Congress critter is an 80 y.o. coot, isn't speaking loud and clear a built-in assumption?
post #2904 of 3319 Old 12-19-2009, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

BTW I see Versus HD is now up and running (actually I think it was last week...or that's when I first noticed it ).

Wonder if there will be any other new HD channels added in the coming months (after the holidays)?

DGK
post #2905 of 3319 Old 12-20-2009, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeKaye07 View Post

BTW I see Versus HD is now up and running (actually I think it was last week...or that's when I first noticed it ).

Wonder if there will be any other new HD channels added in the coming months (after the holidays)?

DGK

ABB is running a crawl on the weather channel indicating that they will soon be dropping G4 and adding some new channels, but nothing specific as to which channels or whether they will be SD or HD. I also noticed they have moved the SD version of Big 10 Network into the slot originally used by ESPN Classic and moved ESPNC up into the 300-tier channels.

- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #2906 of 3319 Old 12-20-2009, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

ABB is running a crawl on the weather channel indicating that they will soon be dropping G4 and adding some new channels, but nothing specific as to which channels or whether they will be SD or HD. I also noticed they have moved the SD version of Big 10 Network into the slot originally used by ESPN Classic and moved ESPNC up into the 300-tier channels.

Too bad about G4 -- I used to watch it back in the day before it was called that...had some good stuff on then about techie things, how-to's about PCs, etc. I don't watch it anymore since they changed the name and switched their format some.

I'll have to keep an eye on the Weather Channel crawl or the message channel and see what they've got to say...thanks.

DGK
post #2907 of 3319 Old 12-28-2009, 06:06 PM

The word on wires is that the WJAC-TV Altoona translator on channel 22 should be completed by May 0f 2010.

How can I be sure in a world that's constantly changing?
post #2908 of 3319 Old 12-29-2009, 11:20 AM

Scant Tropo's noted for the western part of PA. on Wednesday Dec. 30 [morning] might be a good time to do some scanning.Not the best,but worth a try !

post #2909 of 3319 Old 12-31-2009, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

FCC today granted WJAC's alternate request for a ch 29 translator in Bedford. The ch 26 proposal for DuBois remains on the FCC's to-do list.

Happy New Year to one and all.

- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #2910 of 3319 Old 01-01-2010, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page