Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by systems2000 View Post

How long until it's operating?

Who knows? Report based on a thread above indicates May 2010 for the Altoona translator, and they've had the CP in hand for that for several months now. I would guess, based on the numbers of translators being requested by stations across the country that the manufacturers just might have a bit of a backlog.

ÂOne of the few good things about modern times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us.Â
- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2912 of 3319 Old 01-14-2010, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Speaking of translators going up, does anyone know when FOX-8 WWCP will have their State College digital translator (channel 17) up??
post #2913 of 3319 Old 01-15-2010, 10:48 AM

Tropos look good for Sat. and Sun mornings,if you wish to do some scanning on the tuners

"If you want total security,go to prison,there your fed,clothed,given medical care and so on The only thing lacking,,,,,,,,is FREEDOM " Dwight D.Eisenhower
post #2914 of 3319 Old 01-16-2010, 08:51 AM

Anyone having trouble with abc 23 watm?
post #2915 of 3319 Old 01-16-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvdigital View Post

Yes, I have been for the last day or so, but it's back now.

How can I be sure in a world that's constantly changing?
post #2916 of 3319 Old 01-17-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvdigital View Post

I was having trouble with it as well on Comcast in Cambria County. I turned on "20/20" on Friday night and both the SD and HD feeds were choppy. Finally about 10 minutes into the show, Channel 23-1 was black but the SD feed was working okay. It looked like 23-1 was better by the time Jimmy Kimmel came on.

Speaking of WATM, I recently stayed at a hotel in State College and noticed that WATM (on channel 5) had a poor picture quality. WJAC-6 wasn't much better but Fox 8 and WTAJ were fine. Is the poor picture quality on WATM and WJAC the case for all people that have Comast cable in Centre County?
post #2917 of 3319 Old 01-18-2010, 08:01 AM

Is WATM having major signal problems? Also, what is happening with WTAJ's PSIP, it refuses to show a picture on PSIP channel 10.1, but is showing up fine on 32.3, but without channel or program data.

post #2918 of 3319 Old 01-21-2010, 03:47 PM

Anyone else notice it appears WTAJ-HD is airing a SD feed. WTAJ-HD is on ch 6-4 and the picture was fuzzy during WTAJ News and now the CBS Evening News is in 16:9 with borders on the top and bottom on both WTAJ and WTAJ-HD (like how The Late Late Show is at 12:30. Wonder what's going on. I do wish WTAJ and other local stations would air more syndicated shows in full HD. Currently, WJAC is the only station to do so with Dr. Phil and ET. I hope WTAJ follows soon and I don't think WATM or WWCP will do so anytime in the near future.
post #2919 of 3319 Old 01-21-2010, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

WTAJ has been having problems with their HD signal (and I think their OTA signal for HD and SD -- not sure since I've got cable which was not affected) since yesterday. It was back up again by this evening, but it's not quite right yet. I read on their Facebook page that they're hoping it will be fixed by tomorrow. We shall see.

DGK
post #2920 of 3319 Old 01-22-2010, 03:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANewsFan View Post

Anyone else notice it appears WTAJ-HD is airing a SD feed. WTAJ-HD is on ch 6-4 and the picture was fuzzy during WTAJ News and now the CBS Evening News is in 16:9 with borders on the top and bottom on both WTAJ and WTAJ-HD (like how The Late Late Show is at 12:30. Wonder what's going on. I do wish WTAJ and other local stations would air more syndicated shows in full HD. Currently, WJAC is the only station to do so with Dr. Phil and ET. I hope WTAJ follows soon and I don't think WATM or WWCP will do so anytime in the near future.

6-4? Why would WTAJ be mapping to a WJAC channel number?
BTW this morning there's no sign of a subchannel at WTAJ, and WJAC appears to be running only their usual 6-1 and 6-2.

As for playback of syndicated HD content... that requires a significant investment in new equipment in the control room. I would expect WTAJ will do so sooner rather than later. WWCP and WATM... not so much.

ÂOne of the few good things about modern times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us.Â
- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #2921 of 3319 Old 01-22-2010, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_MainyYak View Post

6-4? Why would WTAJ be mapping to a WJAC channel number?
BTW this morning there's no sign of a subchannel at WTAJ, and WJAC appears to be running only their usual 6-1 and 6-2.

As for playback of syndicated HD content... that requires a significant investment in new equipment in the control room. I would expect WTAJ will do so sooner rather than later. WWCP and WATM... not so much.

I wondered the same thing about WTAJ on 6-4. My digital channels have been odd lately. For a while, I have gotten all of the local channel's SD feeds on a subchannel of channel 20. For example, I get WTAJ-SD on 20-6, WATM-SD on Ch 20-7, etc. When I tuned to Ch 10-1, a message said something like "Digital Signal Too Low". I went to Ch 10 and then I noticed while flipping through the channels later in the day that there was another feed of WTAJ on Channel 6-4 (it is still up as of right now). Also, Amy Mearkle just mentioned during the news update that they are aware they are having audio problems and hope to have it fixed soon.
post #2922 of 3319 Old 01-22-2010, 05:49 AM

Quote:

I can confirm that via DirecTV, WTAJ-HD was airing SD windowboxed content last night during primetime.
post #2923 of 3319 Old 01-22-2010, 01:27 PM

OTA WTAJ is still definitely still on 32.3 -PSIP 10.1- the only thing that changed is that -with a rescan- the station name went from "WTAJ-HD" to "Channel", something that I assume will change back once they fix whatever they're working on.

post #2924 of 3319 Old 01-22-2010, 03:11 PM

If anyone here in Centre County needs/wants a long range antenna, I have an antenna's direct v21 UHF/hiVHF combo that extends out over 65 miles.

The hiVHF (chan 7-13 is spotty) but UHF works great.

Of course, all you really need here is UHF.

$50.
post #2925 of 3319 Old 01-22-2010, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I checked WTAJ at 20:00 and it showed virtual channel 10.1 with no sub-channels.
post #2926 of 3319 Old 01-23-2010, 10:40 AM

WTAJ-TV and WTAJ-HD is still airing windowboxed 16:9 programming on both the SD and HD feeds. The picture quality is not too great and I hope that it is fixed by the time the NFL playoffs are on tomorrow afternoon. The volume is also still really low.

As for WTAJ on 6-4, I'm still getting it there on my Toshiba tv with a tuner. There is no channel discription. I have no idea why it would be on a WJAC subchannel, but I even rescaned my channels and WTAJ is still on 6-4.
post #2927 of 3319 Old 01-23-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:

WTAJ-TV and WTAJ-HD is still airing windowboxed 16:9 programming on both the SD and HD feeds. The picture quality is not too great and I hope that it is fixed by the time the NFL playoffs are on tomorrow afternoon. The volume is also still really low.

As for WTAJ on 6-4, I'm still getting it there on my Toshiba tv with a tuner. There is no channel discription. I have no idea why it would be on a WJAC subchannel, but I even rescaned my channels and WTAJ is still on 6-4.

Crap, I forgot about the playoffs. I wasn't too concerned about WTAJ's status because I rarely watch any of their programming, but if they don't have it fixed by tomorrow I will be mighty upset.
post #2928 of 3319 Old 01-23-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragon View Post

Crap, I forgot about the playoffs. I wasn't too concerned about WTAJ's status because I rarely watch any of their programming, but if they don't have it fixed by tomorrow I will be mighty upset.

Well, WTAJ said on their Facebook page that they had hoped to have full HD back by yesterday but it is still not back up. Thankfully, on one of my TVs, I get KDKA-HD, so it won't be a big deal for me, but a lot of people will not be happy if it is not back up by tomorrow for the playoffs.
post #2929 of 3319 Old 01-25-2010, 12:34 PM

WTAJ-TV and WTAJ-HD are back to normal in full HD and normal audio and WTAJ-HD is no longer on 6-4. It is back to 10-1.
post #2930 of 3319 Old 01-27-2010, 06:26 PM

Just for anyone who might also be looking for something like this, I found a device like I was looking for to do short-range analog TV transmission. http://www.camera-supply.com/wv-300.html

post #2931 of 3319 Old 01-29-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokorola View Post

I found a device like I was looking for to do short-range analog TV transmission. http://www.camera-supply.com/wv-300.html

Be sure it has an FCC ID number on it, before you turn it on...whitespace devices are a hot topic at the FCC right now. I'm sure a 'TV sender device' like that may pose potential interference to them. Not to mention licensed TV broadcasters. Boadcast spectrum is precious and in demand.

I'm not trying to be a jerk...just lending cautious advice.

"Modulating carriers since 1987"
post #2932 of 3319 Old 01-29-2010, 06:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
That device is definitely not legal to use on the UHF TV band. I owned one and it worked okay for a while but now it's pretty much an ineffective paperweight, and that was just time working on the thing. It was pretty poorly made.

I used it to modulate a signal from a digital STB to feed the analog TVs in the house with first WB, then CW. I also used it to do video in the ham band.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #2933 of 3319 Old 02-10-2010, 09:59 AM

Is anyone else having reception issues with WTAJ? I'm guessing it could be a weather-related issue, but their site is never helpful, so it's hard to tell.

Update: Never mind, their site now says that they're having issues.

post #2934 of 3319 Old 02-10-2010, 11:09 AM

Speaking of WTAJ - I have Atlantic Broadband cable and channel 710 (WTAJ's HD channel) is perhaps the worst one I get in terms of pixellation, dropouts, temporary freezes and lost audio. Do the rest of you with ABB have problems with channel 710? Seems ironic that the closest station is the worst in terms of quality.
post #2935 of 3319 Old 02-10-2010, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

We noticed that WTAJ was off the air, when my wife was trying to setup the VCR for her Y&R recording, especially since WUSA had moved it to their sub-channel (not enough bandwidth), WJZ wasn't coming in, and I don't get WHP (due to WVPY).
post #2936 of 3319 Old 02-10-2010, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanbrew View Post

Speaking of WTAJ - I have Atlantic Broadband cable and channel 710 (WTAJ's HD channel) is perhaps the worst one I get in terms of pixellation, dropouts, temporary freezes and lost audio. Do the rest of you with ABB have problems with channel 710? Seems ironic that the closest station is the worst in terms of quality.

Seems that they've been having issues on and off for a few weeks, even before the bad weather of late. Wish they could get it fixed once and for all, but I imagine the weather makes it pretty difficult to do that. Who knows, it may be spring before it gets properly fixed...

DGK
post #2937 of 3319 Old 03-04-2010, 10:11 PM

Just curious, does anyone knows if WTOO-CA is on the air in Altoona? I believe it is channel 50. Has it ever been on the air?
How about W41CF? WSCP-CA in State College re-fired up their analog 13 in 12/09 with Cornerstone programming, and W41CF is their translator in Altoona. What's strange is that according to their website, the FCC seems to think that both of these are licensed and silent.

post #2938 of 3319 Old 03-11-2010, 11:17 AM

Did anyone else catch the problems with WPSU at around 2pm on Thursday?

The channels were completely blank until about 1:50pm, and then channels 3.1 and 3.2 were hopping back and forth between each other, and 3.3 was totally gone.

It's still messed up as of now with Caillou and Christina Cooks changing positions every couple seconds.

post #2939 of 3319 Old 03-12-2010, 02:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75ohms View Post

Just curious, does anyone knows if WTOO-CA is on the air in Altoona? I believe it is channel 50. Has it ever been on the air?
How about W41CF? WSCP-CA in State College re-fired up their analog 13 in 12/09 with Cornerstone programming, and W41CF is their translator in Altoona. What's strange is that according to their website, the FCC seems to think that both of these are licensed and silent.

Don't know about WTOO... it just received its license renewal from the FCC, but is shown as being on channel 32 (being used by WTAJ), and states it is on the air and programming. The FCC record keeping for CA and LP stations seems to be -shall we say- not top of mind. Another example of that is WBYD-CA on ch 35, licensed to Johnstown. The station is on the air - in Pittsburgh. The owner moved it there a number of years ago, but the FCC has never changed the COL.

- Kurt Vonnegut
-0-
post #2940 of 3319 Old 03-15-2010, 08:04 AM

Thanks for the reply...I was begining to think this board was dead.

What's interesting is that WTOO-CA and WBYD-CA have common ownership. I wonder if this is a case of FCC file backlog, or some other reason. I also saw where this same licensee/owner was recently cited for transmitting on the wrong channel in Pittsburgh (WIIC-LP)...interesting, indeed.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page