Salt Lake City, UT - HDTV - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 3747 Old 10-31-2004, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ken, thank you for your response on the square shooter.

I have also had the Channel Master 3020 recommended to me...

If you have a chance, look that one up on the web and see if it looks like something that you feel would work for me.

Thanks,

Steve

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
The Barn - Use Password = AVSForum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 3747 Old 11-01-2004, 05:25 AM

Liked: 10
ric don't be a dic
post #273 of 3747 Old 11-01-2004, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The new Calrec Zeta 100 is here .
http://www.calrec.com/product/z100.htm

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #274 of 3747 Old 11-01-2004, 08:53 AM

Ken,
5.1 surround sound on the news?
BTW where was the NASCAR HD on Sunday?
DBird
post #275 of 3747 Old 11-01-2004, 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by kpoon
no, i just checked this morning. my signal meter only reads from 0-13% for wb, & all i get is a black screen. it might be an equipment problem 'cause i'm not getting kjzz either. however, i'm getting the 4 major networks ok. i'll try rescanning tonight.

Just before we went HD we made several changes to our PSIP to be compliant with some of the changes that the FCC and ATSC put into place, which has caused some blank screens. Have you been able to receive the WB HD programming since KUWB went HD? Out of curiosity what make/model of set top box or DTV tuner do you use? (We are trying to track this as well, to see if anything is related to PSIP change). Do you know what the received signal level of KUWB was before on your receiver?
THNX

DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed by me are my opinions and are not the views of my employer or the company I work for. This disclaimer required to assure compliance with the Sarbanes-Oxley Act, another gift from Congress.
post #276 of 3747 Old 11-02-2004, 04:12 AM
AVS Special Member

"5.1 surround sound on the news?"
"BTW where was the NASCAR HD on Sunday?"

The Master Control operator didn't know NASCAR was in widescreen (it's not HD). BTW, we have a replacement HD receiver coming. We have had problems with it dropping out, and also can't do 5.1 with it right now.

As for news in 5.1..........The new board has the capability. We are discussing it, and I think 5.1 would work well for news. Of course, most things would still be mono and stereo. Surrounds are better when used sparingly, for effect. I think I mentioned more about this earlier in this thread.

"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #277 of 3747 Old 11-02-2004, 08:27 AM

Have a question for Mr. English. Talked with Kim about optaining a waiver so that we could get HD down here in St George. She told me that it would not be a problem, that they do it all the time. 45 days later, waiver rejected. It irks me to no end that we are 300 miles from SLT and certainly can't recieve your DT, but you feel that rejecting us is the right thing to do. How are you going to get the Digital signal down here in the southland or are we just your poor cousins and will never have access to HDTV.
post #278 of 3747 Old 11-02-2004, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by acmetvrick
Have you been able to receive the WB HD programming since KUWB went HD?

yes, when it first went online, i checked out "smallville" in hd.

Quote:

Out of curiosity what make/model of set top box or DTV tuner do you use?

i use a myhd mdp-120 hdtv tuner card in an htpc setup to receive my hd signals.

Quote:

Do you know what the received signal level of KUWB was before on your receiver?

i can't say for sure. maybe 75% before?

i checked the channel again last night, & i'm receiving it now at about 40-50%. the same w/ kjzz. i'm thinking the signal loss may have had something to do w/ the weather over the past week, though this would be the first time that i've had any reception problems related to weather.
post #279 of 3747 Old 11-02-2004, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Will the USD TV reciever pick up all of Salt Lake HD OTA channels? Are our channels UHF or VHF or both? Thanks.

Jay
SLC, Utah
post #280 of 3747 Old 11-02-2004, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

It appears that we are not doing waivers for DTV right now. We are working with the translator people to get DTV Translators going in the outlying areas instead, now that the FCC Rules are in place.

post #281 of 3747 Old 11-02-2004, 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by acmetvrick
Just before we went HD we made several changes to our PSIP to be compliant with some of the changes that the FCC and ATSC put into place, which has caused some blank screens. Have you been able to receive the WB HD programming since KUWB went HD? Out of curiosity what make/model of set top box or DTV tuner do you use? (We are trying to track this as well, to see if anything is related to PSIP change). Do you know what the received signal level of KUWB was before on your receiver?
THNX

I don't know if this is related at all with KPoon's problems, however, since your PSIP change, I can only see the WB on channel 99-1 rather than 30-1. I also just tried rescanning tonight with the same results. I am using a HiDTV Pro 2.0 PCI tuner card. By the way, I noticed gilmore girls was in 5.1 tonight. Very cool!
post #282 of 3747 Old 11-03-2004, 05:35 PM

Rocknrlk: I am in the same situation as you except I live on the payson / spring lake border. I am unable to pick up NBC OTA.

Put in the waiver request via Direct TV to receive the HD only channel. Denied. No reason, just denied.

Called KSL and left a message several times and no one has every called me back. I requested a signal test.

I don't know why KSL will not permit those of us who can not receive the HD OTA signal to get the DirectTV one. Is it because we are cutting into their profit margins? I don't think thats it because I still get KSL local via DirectTV so they are not losing a subscriber. CBS and Fox have granted waivers for the local area so why can't KSL. Does it have more to do with they don't want us watching unapproved programming (ala Saturday Night Live)?

I have been so frustrated that I stopped watching KSL altogehter until I understand why they are not giving out a HD waiver to those of us who can't receive the signal. I have told many of friends my situation and they side with me and think less of KSL. Maybe I am the one being unreasonable because I don't understand the real reason, but I think KSL should at least tell us why they deny our waivers.

Just my .02

Hopefully DTV will add all HD locals next year so we don't have to worry about this mess.

Follw.IT HTPC Social Integration
http://www.follw.it
post #283 of 3747 Old 11-03-2004, 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by spitfire
I don't know if this is related at all with KPoon's problems, however, since your PSIP change, I can only see the WB on channel 99-1 rather than 30-1. I also just tried rescanning tonight with the same results. I am using a HiDTV Pro 2.0 PCI tuner card. By the way, I noticed gilmore girls was in 5.1 tonight. Very cool!

Interesting about KUWB tuning up on 99-1 rather than 30-1 I haven't seen that happen. Right now we have four different make/models of set top boxes to test changes with and have not run into that situation, yet. I haven't gotten any PC cards to test with, but I guess this is a good reason that I should.

Sorry that only the first segment of Gilmore Girls was in 5.1. We ended up with some switching problems with our Dolby AC-3 encoder and the metadata from the network, tonight however "Smallville" and Jack and Bobby" were in 5.1. The network started sending Prime Time programming on Monday night's feed in 5.1 but we were not 100% ready for Monday or Tuesday, a pleasant surprise from them that we learned about last Friday.

We have been doing a lot of 5.1 testing the last two weeks gearing up for Sunday Night's Broadcast Premier of "Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring" at 7:00 PM. I'm not certain what programs the network will deliver in 5.1 yet besides LOTR, but we are set up to automatically switch to 5.1 mode if they are sending 5.1 audio.

DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed by me are my opinions and are not the views of my employer or the company I work for. This disclaimer required to assure compliance with the Sarbanes-Oxley Act, another gift from Congress.
post #284 of 3747 Old 11-03-2004, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 254
I'm fairly new to the SLC area and totally new to OTA HDTV, so I have a question for you guys that I couldn't find a recent answer to after searching. Anyway, what's up with all the cracking and popping, particularly on KUTV primetime broadcasts? During "Everybody Loves Raymond" on Monday it was pretty bad and it's since improved on other CBS shows but isn't completely gone. I know it's not my TV since I've tried another TV and it does it too. Is this something I'm just going to have to get used to?

I've also noticed popping during The Tonight Show on KSL but understand that their audio equipment is in the process of being upgraded so that'll subside eventually.
post #285 of 3747 Old 11-05-2004, 12:26 PM

acmetvrick,
I did a little research on the HiDTV Pro card I have and found that it uses a Thompson DTF8603 (horizon type) ATSC tuner. I don't know if that information is useful to explain why the WB would map to 99-1 for me or not. Maybe it's just my tuner's outdated software.
post #286 of 3747 Old 11-05-2004, 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Schwa
I'm fairly new to the SLC area and totally new to OTA HDTV, so I have a question for you guys that I couldn't find a recent answer to after searching. Anyway, what's up with all the cracking and popping, particularly on KUTV primetime broadcasts? During "Everybody Loves Raymond" on Monday it was pretty bad and it's since improved on other CBS shows but isn't completely gone. I know it's not my TV since I've tried another TV and it does it too. Is this something I'm just going to have to get used to?

I've also noticed popping during The Tonight Show on KSL but understand that their audio equipment is in the process of being upgraded so that'll subside eventually.

I have had no audio problems this week on CBS this week.
post #287 of 3747 Old 11-05-2004, 11:41 PM

I just moved into the area.. I bought a place in Riverton.

I've got direcTV, and I just ordered the direcTV HDTV Tivo..

I believe I still need an OTA HDTV antennae though. I visited the AntennaWeb site and it shows all the stations as yellow except for KSTU-DT 13.1 FOX which is purple.. that seems wierd to me because the compass orientation and miles from are the same for all the channels (291° 15.3) except for PBS and PAX.

So my question is: can anyone recommend an antenna? and/or a place to buy it from?

If possible, I'd prefer to use an antenna in the room my TV is in.. If I have to I can put one in my attic.. I just don't want to have to run the cable, as all of my interior walls are insulated.. so I'd like to be able to set the antenna on top of my tv.. my tv is in the basement though.. I'm sure that would have an effect?

I'd also like to know if there's a reason for the purple from fox?

Thanks,
Jason
post #288 of 3747 Old 11-06-2004, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I am new too and looking into antenna's..... unfortunately my area is mostly purple...

As for Fox.... from my reading on this thread, I believe they are operating at reduced power in this area.

Steve

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
post #289 of 3747 Old 11-06-2004, 08:09 AM

I'm in South Jordan and am having generally good luck with a Silver Sensor. I think you can still find them at Sears or Circuit City for around $30. It may not work so well if you're in a basement, but otherwise it would probably be a good starting point.
post #290 of 3747 Old 11-06-2004, 11:14 PM

Hey Jason/Kraquen,
Nice to see you around. I'm Jeff's roomate, Brian, from the air show... Anyway, a Silver Sensor in my attic is what I use as well over here in Spanish Fork. It's a great little attenna. Got mine from Sears. Amazingly enough I actually can get a couple of stations with it in my basement (ABC and NBC) but I'm guessing you'd have better results in your attic. Anyway, I'll have to check out your DirecTV some time.

-Brian
post #291 of 3747 Old 11-07-2004, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

You guys say the Silver Sensor is available at Sears???

Is it a powered antenna?

Thanks,

steve

post #292 of 3747 Old 11-07-2004, 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by HiHoStevo
You guys say the Silver Sensor is available at Sears???

Is it a powered antenna?

Thanks,

steve

I got mine at the Sears in the Provo Town Center Mall. It's not powered. Comes with a stand, a coax cable and that's it.
post #293 of 3747 Old 11-07-2004, 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Schwa
cracking and popping, particularly on KUTV . . .I know it's not my TV since I've tried another TV and it does it too. Is this something I'm just going to have to get used to?

When you say you tried another TV, do you mean another standalone HD-TV,
or moved your HD receiver to another TV?

Jerry

I don't just watch HD-TV, I make it happen.
post #294 of 3747 Old 11-08-2004, 12:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:

When you say you tried another TV, do you mean another standalone HD-TV, or moved your HD receiver to another TV?

Another stand-alone HDTV -- completely different receiver. I suspect that the crackling and popping was an isolated incident because I haven't noticed it since, but I haven't been watching the TV that much, either...
post #295 of 3747 Old 11-08-2004, 07:21 AM

Hey brian!

Nice seeing you on here.

I'd rather not have to make the cable run to the attic, but if I have to, I will. I'll give the antennae a shot in the basement. If it doesn't work out, I'll move it upto the attic.
post #296 of 3747 Old 11-10-2004, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It will be interesting to see if KTVX broadcasts "Private Ryan" uncut, "F" word and all on Thursday given the political climate regarding indecency and the Bush mandate in the vote. HDTV or not. KTVX SHOULD have been fined for broadcasting Sipowitz's butt in HDTV on "NYPD Blue" a while back...
post #297 of 3747 Old 11-10-2004, 09:08 PM

Sorry about Smallville and Jack & Bobby not being in HD tonight the HD satellite receiver for our network feed failed. Will probably have a replacement in the system in the morning for Thursday night.

post #298 of 3747 Old 11-10-2004, 09:14 PM

Had all the kids gathered 'round for the evening's Smallville. I noticed no HD; they didn't.

We'll catch it next time...

Hej på dej!!
post #299 of 3747 Old 11-11-2004, 01:32 PM

OK, with all of this talk about Cedar Hills, I figured I'd see if anyone here is in Lehi...

Here's why: Grandma-ma is moving to Lehi (about 1/2 mile Southwest of Micron) and getting a new A/V setup (basically chosen by yours truly). Antennaweb doesn't seem to like the address I put in because its a new development. So, when I put in Micron's address, it doesn't show any digital channels, but moving the location to roughly where she's moving in shows digital channels. My question is, is it worth my hauling my antenna and tuner (and my lazy butt, but that's a different issue ) up there to test it? It seems to be right on the border of reception.

That's probably what I'll do, unless there's someone here who can give me a definative yes or no on that from their own experiences, but I'd just rather not get up in the attic to get the antenna down.
post #300 of 3747 Old 11-11-2004, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey Baker.............

After you get done at your mom's house... bring your equipment up to Cedar Hills....... I have PIZZA!!

Steve

antennaweb says no digitals for me either

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page