Salt Lake City, UT - HDTV - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 3747 Old 11-28-2004, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I guess I worded that wrong.

When I said "HD" I meant widescreen high definition, 16:9, 1080i.

A lot of people see the black sidebars and assume that it is not HD.

As to Seinfeld being shot on film, I did not know that, just assumed it was originally shot on videotape, and therefore no HD, widescreen or not, existed.

Jerry

I don't just watch HD-TV, I make it happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 3747 Old 12-01-2004, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by snielson
We were well aware of the lost audio on LOST. I just takes a few minutes to talk someone through reaquireing the audio. After the HD feed gets delayed an hour by the server, we send it to another box that decodes the MPEG2 and breaks out the audio and video. Every great once-in-a while this box looses the audio PID and doesn't reaquire it. Then we just have to turn the audio off and back on again on this decoder.

it happened again tonight.
post #333 of 3747 Old 12-01-2004, 10:15 PM

On KSL, Law and Order suddenly rewound to nearly the beginning at about 20 min before 10. Luckily there was the SD broadcast to switch over to until the problem was fixed.
post #334 of 3747 Old 12-02-2004, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by kpoon
it happened again tonight.

Yeah, that was pretty annoying(again). There was no way I was going to stick around for it, but I'm hoping that Jessica Simpson special was NOT in HD-that would have been a waste of good HD.

Suburbia: where trees are cut down and streets are named after them.
Flickr photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nvsteve/sets/
post #335 of 3747 Old 12-05-2004, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Due to the impending demolition of the Salt Lake Tabernacle to make room for a new Wal-Mart.............
oops, wait a minute, got my news stories confused.

Due to the seismic improvements and other construction in the Salt Lake Tabernacle, "Music and the Spoken Word" broadcasts will originate from the Conference Center for the next several months.

This means we will be broadcasting the show in DD5.1 Surround.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #336 of 3747 Old 12-06-2004, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I just noticed this forum, and live in the Sugarhouse area, and looking to get a OTA antenna. I checked out antennaweb and they said to look for a yellow one. According to them I live about 19 miles, so what kind of antenna do I look for?
post #337 of 3747 Old 12-07-2004, 12:40 PM

robinsj, many people in the Salt Lake Valley (myself included) have had great success with the Silver Sensor antenna. Might want to try that one.

"Alright Brain, you don't like me, and I don't like you. But let's just do this, and I can get back to killing you with beer."
~~Homer Simpson
post #338 of 3747 Old 12-07-2004, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

The Silver Sensor is good for indoor reception, but primarily for digital only.
Actually, it is probably the best indoor UHF DTV antenna.

If you want analog, too, though....go with a small VHF/UHF combo outdoor antenna.

If you need to go outdoors, and only want DTV, the Winegard Squareshooter seems to do a good job. But, it doesn't do a lot for analog, either.

"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #339 of 3747 Old 12-11-2004, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I actually already have Directv, with Tivo. Not interested in getting the HD directv until the HD Direct Tivo comes down in price from the $800-900 range, so, I am only interested in digital channels, so I will check out the Silver sensor antenna...
post #340 of 3747 Old 12-13-2004, 04:05 PM

I hope this is the best thread to ask this. I am using the ATI HDTV Wonder card with the included silver sensor antenna, in Media Center 2005, in Ogden, Utah. MCE downloads 11 digital channels that for this area and I get full signal (6 bars) on all but 3 of them: FOX 13-1, CBS 2-1, and 24-1 (forgot the callsign). I can understand 24-1 because they aren't broadcasting digital yet. I can understand FOX because they are operating at low power, and I do get 3-4 bars occasionally. But CBS gets NO bars, as if there is no signal at all on that frequency. I poked around a bit and found a file: C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Application Data\\eHome\\EPG\\ATSCprefs.xml that lists the 11 channels, along with the 'physical frequency' for each channel. for example, channel ABC 4-1 is set to physical channel 40. This is where I notice that they have CBS 2-1 set to physical channel 35. Antennaweb.org says that CBS should be on channel 34. I edited the file and made the change, but still get no signal from CBS.

So, I am hoping that someone in Utah is reading this post and using the HDTV Wonder card and can tell me if they can pick up CBS, or even get 1 bar of signal in MCE2005.
post #341 of 3747 Old 12-14-2004, 04:34 AM
AVS Special Member

What kind of antenna are you using?

All SLC area DTV's are in the UHF Band.....28, 29, 34, 36, 38, 40, 42, 44, 46, and 48. Everyone is on Farnsworth Peak and Little Farnsworth. All are full-power except Fox, on 28.

There are a few DTV Translators, at Lewis Peak, Levan, and Park City.

post #342 of 3747 Old 12-14-2004, 07:27 AM

Dolby Digital 5.1 on Channel 2?
Last night during CSI Miami I noticed that channel 2 was broadcasting in Dolby Digital 5.1 on channel 2-1. The sound was randomly breaking up and was switching back and forth between dolby 5.1 and 2.0.

Does anyone have any info on this? Was channel 2 doing testing for a switch to 5.1?

Black bar on right side of channel 2-1?
I have noticed that when I run my widescreen TV in 4x3 mode I get a black bar on the right side of the screen on channel 2-1. It appears that the picture is not centered. When I switch the channel to satellite channel 2 the black bar goes away.

Has anyone else noticed this?
post #343 of 3747 Old 12-14-2004, 07:47 AM

Originally posted by kenglish
What kind of antenna are you using?

I am using the Silver Sensor (it came with the HDTV Wonder card). When used in my basement I can pick up 8 of the 11 stations, but with varying signal strengths. When I moved the antenna to my attic I now pick up those 8 stations with 6 out of 6 bars in MCE2005. Fox had no bars in the basement, but would vary between 0-4 in the attic. I am 45 miles away from the transmitters (according to antennaweb.org) so I am very surprised and happy to be picking up the 8 stations so well with the first antenna I've tried. However, the problem with CBS remains. I get no bars, no signal whatsoever. I really believe that the problem is related to MCE trying to tune CBS on UHF channel 35 and not 34. Please someone tell me they got this working, and how.
post #344 of 3747 Old 12-14-2004, 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bbartschi
Dolby Digital 5.1 on Channel 2?
Last night during CSI Miami I noticed that channel 2 was broadcasting in Dolby Digital 5.1 on channel 2-1. The sound was randomly breaking up and was switching back and forth between dolby 5.1 and 2.0.

Does anyone have any info on this? Was channel 2 doing testing for a switch to 5.1?

Black bar on right side of channel 2-1?
I have noticed that when I run my widescreen TV in 4x3 mode I get a black bar on the right side of the screen on channel 2-1. It appears that the picture is not centered. When I switch the channel to satellite channel 2 the black bar goes away.

Has anyone else noticed this?

CSI Miami on Monday night was the first program broadcast in 5.1 (excluding sports and awards programs). CBS is switching between 5.1 and 2.0 during the commercials. CSI Miami will be in 5.1 until reruns start.

Jerry Huber
KUTV Studio HD engineer
post #345 of 3747 Old 12-14-2004, 01:47 PM

I experienced the same problem as bbartschi; the sound kept bouncing back and fourth between 5.1 and 2.0 during CSI:Miami last night. It got so annoying I manually forced my receiver (Sony SAT-HD200) from Dolby Digital to PCM in order to make it through the program.

Sounds like some fine-tuning is needed before 5.1 on 2.1 is ready for prime-time.

Hej på dej!!
post #346 of 3747 Old 12-15-2004, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

If it's switching back and forth ONLY from program to commercials, that's what it SHOULD do.

With NBC, though, we have had problems with it toggling back and forth randomly......so we are only carrying the stereo until it is fixed. It appears to be a problem with the NBC HD satellite receivers' capability to carry metadata.

post #347 of 3747 Old 12-15-2004, 08:05 AM

Yes, my problems were only when the main program, CSI:Miami was running. I noticed it'd drop to 2.0 on the commercials (which were fine to listen to), but as soon as the show came back on, the sound would pop between 5.1 and 2.0 every couple of seconds until the next commercial came back on.

Unwatchable.

Hej på dej!!
post #348 of 3747 Old 12-15-2004, 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Eurastus
Yes, my problems were only when the main program, CSI:Miami was running. I noticed it'd drop to 2.0 on the commercials (which were fine to listen to), but as soon as the show came back on, the sound would pop between 5.1 and 2.0 every couple of seconds until the next commercial came back on.

Unwatchable.

We, and you viewers, haven't seen a problem with any other 5.1 (audio) programming.
I.E. Football, NCAA Basketball, Golf, etc.
If I recall correctly, when they first started doing the metadata testing on the sporting events, the same problem existed, but has since been fixed.

CSI: Miami was the first attempt at 5.1 in anything other than sporting events.

I'm sure the engineering types at CBS are aware of the problem, and will have a solution as we continue to roll out 5.1 programming.
As it sits, Miami is the only one that will be in 5.1 for the forseeable future.

I'm thinking it might be similiar to NBC's problems, the recievers having a problem with the metadata.

Jerry

post #349 of 3747 Old 12-18-2004, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

the pit/nyg football game on cbs today was not in dd5.1 on kutv. it wasn't a national feed problem because other cities were receiving it in dd. is this related to the general dd5.1 problems that kutv has been having lately?
post #350 of 3747 Old 12-18-2004, 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by kpoon
the pit/nyg football game on cbs today was not in dd5.1 on kutv. it wasn't a national feed problem because other cities were receiving it in dd. is this related to the general dd5.1 problems that kutv has been having lately?

It should have been.
Are you sure?
Not doubting you, but until others report the same problem.
Are you sure you were watching the digital channel and not regular ole analog channel 2?

Everything was switched here on our end (KUTV)

Jerry

post #351 of 3747 Old 12-19-2004, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by huberjgl
Are you sure you were watching the digital channel and not regular ole analog channel 2?

i'm 100% positive.

i was watching the game in hd via a myhd mdp-120. it's connected via coaxial s/pdif to my receiver, which was only registering stereo. i manually changed it to pro-logic. the announcers' voices were very muted during the broadcast, so i had to turn the volume way up. weirdly, though, the stadium sounds & the broadcast sfx sounds were normal, as were the commercials. so whenever those sounds came on, it was VERY loud. startled my babies a couple times.

the problem is not w/ my equipment 'cause i got dd5.1 for the fox game that was later in the day.

i'll report later on today's game. thanks.
post #352 of 3747 Old 12-19-2004, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

yep, i'm watching the gb/jax game right now. it's in hd but not dd; still stereo.
post #353 of 3747 Old 12-19-2004, 01:38 PM

The GB/Jax game today is also being sent 2.0 instead of 5.1. "Center channel" is very weak during the game. Commercials coming through ok, though.
post #354 of 3747 Old 12-19-2004, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

gbrock is reporting the same sound problems that i had yesterday & that are persisting today. that is, very low announcers' volume w/ normal commercials, stadium, & special sound f/x volumes.

other cities in the u.s. are reporting that they are getting 5.1, so it must be a local issue.
post #355 of 3747 Old 12-19-2004, 10:10 PM

I just picked up a Samsung 451 STB from CC yesterday. I watched part of the GB/Jax game this afternoon and noticed the same problem with the low volume of the announcers voices. As reported above, the commercials sounded just fine.
post #356 of 3747 Old 12-20-2004, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

FoxHD on D*

I wonder how hard it will be for us in the Salt Lake market to get a waiver? With "hit and miss" coverage across the wasatch front I hope people like 1manarmy can get a waiver without being hassled too much....

Michael.
post #357 of 3747 Old 12-21-2004, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

What "Hit and Miss Coverage"?

post #358 of 3747 Old 12-21-2004, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kenglish
What "Hit and Miss Coverage"?

I think he is referring to the fact that FOX is not yet operating at full power, and can be hard to get a good signal in some areas. I live in Ogden and can pick up all of the other networks clearly, but FOX only comes in occassionally.
post #359 of 3747 Old 12-21-2004, 07:52 AM

MSilla,
In regards to getting FOX-HD from D*. The local FOX affiliate is a Owned & Operated station, which means in that you should have no problem getting FOX-HD from D*. I received a waiver for FOX several months ago in anticipation of getting FOX-HD. I would recommend that you phone D* and indicate that you are in a O&O market and they should be able to turn it on for you. When the switch was thrown at D* FOX-HD was showing up in my guide immediately thereafter because my waivers where all ready in place.
post #360 of 3747 Old 12-22-2004, 10:04 AM

Any chance FOX will boost their signal for the Superbowl on Feb 6th?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page