Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3722 of 3747 Old 02-09-2014, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Still here. The only thing I've heard of going on around here lately is another channel from the KUTH family called GET TV in English, but this channel has old stuff from the 30s to 60s 32.3.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #3723 of 3747 Old 02-10-2014, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Still no luck on KUCL, Channel 26....
They have had serious transmitter issues for months now. They send the whole thing back to the factory, and it comes back and works for a bit, then they lose a chunk of the amplifier's capacity.

I wish the LD stations would start running a program guide. I'm getting addicted to the old reruns of "Skippy, the Bush Kangaroo" on 15-1 (PB&J). But, I always tune in late, and miss part of the show. (I liked that show when I was a kid....even had a pen-pal in Australia.)

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #3724 of 3747 Old 02-11-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Don't know if this affected anyone here, but you can pass it along to your friends and neighbors.....

Some time on Friday, the Program and System Information Protocol (PSIP) computer stopped outputting the PSIP data on KSL-TV.
It was out for several hours, until it was manually restarted on Saturday morning.
When it was lost, there were no data tables being sent, and made some sets unable to revert back to channel 5 after changing channels.
On some sets, the loss of data may have corrupted the receiver's setup, damaging the Virtual Channel Table (VCT), which tells the TV where to find "Channel 5" (it's actually on RF Channel 38).

If anyone lost their signal, have them first try just entering Channel 38 on their remote. Some sets may think you want analog 38, so you can also try 38-3. This will take the set to the actual channel (38), and reload the table. The set should then tune normally.

If, by some chance, that does not work, try a normal rescan, just like a new set. You may need to set the menu for "replace" rather than "add channels".

If the set is really confused, do a "hard rescan":
1. Disconnect the antenna cable.
2. Do a channel rescan, setting to "replace". The set or STB should come up with NO CHANNELS at all.
3. Turn off the set and unplug power for two or three minutes.
4. Plug the antenna and power back in, and turn on the set. Do another rescan.

This should completely "blow out" all the bad data in the set's memory. You will likely find a few new stations as well, if you have not scanned lately. It will also update the channel name information, in the STB's and sets that don't normally update automatically.

"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #3725 of 3747 Old 02-11-2014, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

BTW, all the SLC metro area stations are on UHF channels......
The DTV Utah stations are on 34, 36, 38, 40, 42, 44, 46 and 48. KSTU and KUPX are on 28 and 29.
The other stations are on 14 (Telemundo), 18, 19, 20, 24, 25 (Azteca, currently off the air), 26 (KUCL, see above posting), 32, and 39 (Azteca).

A good reference is: www.rabbitears.info

post #3726 of 3747 Old 02-11-2014, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, can someone take a quick peak at this:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d5b942f0d614d62
Do I want to aim at the Oquirrh's? I've heard there is stuff to point at on the East also. I setup a previous DB4e antenna in an attic over on the West side of the valley and got great results! (Thanks guys) I was planning on using the same antenna in an attic unless there is some new tech that just came out that I don't know about. What do you guys think?
post #3727 of 3747 Old 02-11-2014, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

The only thing on the east bench is KUCL, Channel 26 carrying 3ABN channels (Three Angels Broadcasting Network). It is off the air right now, due to some serious transmitter problems. They have an analog station on Lake Mountain at Provo, on channel 43.

post #3728 of 3747 Old 02-11-2014, 01:19 PM

Ok, ok, I think I'm starting to understand how to read that map. So now it's just a matter of knowing the channels. Is there a list somewhere, where I can figure out what each channel is and what types of programs are them?
post #3729 of 3747 Old 02-11-2014, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

www.rabbitears.info

After doing a search, or just calling up the list by state, click on each channel for your area. It will give screencaps and all kinds of info.

post #3730 of 3747 Old 02-11-2014, 05:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
I can do you one better.

http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?mktid=42

Click "Expand/Contract All" at the top right corner and it will show you all the actual programs available to you.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #3731 of 3747 Old 02-12-2014, 11:03 AM

Thanks guys. Very helpful.
post #3732 of 3747 Old 02-13-2014, 05:39 PM

Hi Ken, I saw the problem the other day with KSL's psip. The interesting thing about going through a translator is that the channel reverts to the physical number of the translator carrying KSL. When the psip was corrected on your end most tv's
corrected themselves automatically. I have seen the issue with other full power broadcasters when they lose their psip.

Wayne biggrin.gif
post #3733 of 3747 Old 03-09-2014, 04:20 PM

I also live in Highland and am wondering if your set up is still working for you? Did you have to make any adjustments? Which foothills did you point it in - the foothills to the east? Would love to discuss your experience and what worked best for you. Sounds like we live in the same area. Thanks for any info you can give me.

post #3734 of 3747 Old 03-11-2014, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

By Jim Barthold, FierceCable, March 10, 2014

Internet-based TV service Aereo went dark in Denver and Salt Lake City Saturday, although the company's founder insisted in a letter to subscribers that the cable alternative was down but not out and that he looked forward to presenting his case to the Supreme Court April 22.

The shutdown followed a ruling by the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals in Denver affirming a preliminary injunction by U.S. Circuit Judge Dale Kimball that said Aereo was in violation of U.S. copyright law because
it was retransmitting local TV signals without paying fees to broadcasters. The ruling came in answer to a lawsuit filed by four Utah TV stations and marked a reversal for Aereo, which had beaten a similar suit in Boston.

"We are very sorry for the effect that this decision has on you and we look forward to presenting our case to the U.S. Supreme Court and ultimately restoring your ability to use Aereo," the company's founder
and CEO Chet Kanojia wrote to subscribers in an e-mail published by the Salt Lake Tribune.

Aereo issued a full refund for the current month to customers in the two markets and promised to inform them "as soon as we have more information about the future of Aereo in your market."

http://*******.com/q7j8l56

The Salt Lake Tribune carried a similar story that states:

The service has a monthly subscription fee of $8 to $12 per month...

Plus the cost of the internet connection.

[Aereo CEO Chet] Kanojia did not say how long the service, which was ordered shut down in just Utah and Denver, could remain turned off.

It was shut down throughout the territorial jurisdiction of the Tenth Circuit: Oklahoma, Kansas, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, and Utah, plus those portions of the Yellowstone National Park extending into Montana and Idaho. And it will stay shut down until after the Supreme Court's decision, or forever, depending on what the Court decides.

http://*******.com/pnz4kcm

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #3735 of 3747 Old 05-02-2014, 02:22 PM

Liked: 11
For what it's worth, KUCW (Utah's CW30) on digital over-the-air channel 30.2 is now broadcasting the Movies! Network.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movies!
post #3736 of 3747 Old 06-10-2014, 11:36 AM

Liked: 11
ABC announced yesterday that the Live Well Network will be shutting down in January 2015.
post #3737 of 3747 Old 06-26-2014, 10:40 AM

Hi all,

I live in the foothills of Herriman and am having a very hard time getting any OTA signal because Farnsworth peak is behind a few hills. Do any of you know of a good place to get a high gain UHF antenna that allows local returns if it doesn't work? Any recommendations on antenna models? I'd prefer UHF only just to keep the size down. Would I want to tilt the antenna up slightly in this scenario? Any other tips? Give up?

My setup: I've got RG6 home run from the roof or attic (~30-40ft) to the networking closet and then 2 runs to 2 TVs (another 30-40ft). I have a RF Amp I can use (Ce Labs 6001A). Ideally the amp would be in the networking closet but I guess I could put it on the soffit if needed. I don't think it was meant for outdoor use though.

Thanks for your expertise!
Attached Images
File Type: png PRE-KSL-DT.png (36.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: png Radar-All.png (103.4 KB, 5 views)
post #3738 of 3747 Old 07-11-2014, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Has KUTH ever completed their move to Farnsworth peak? Their CP was granted a while back.

Tech support for Antennas Direct
post #3739 of 3747 Old 07-12-2014, 06:49 PM

Liked: 14
Hi All:

New to the area (Midvale) over the past few months. Wanted to say hi to the local group, and share an observation about the local tv stations since arriving in SLC. I'm aware that tv stations are able to provide two HD subchannels in 720p simultaneously, which is what KBYU does with 11.1 and 11.2 (along with a 480i feed on 11.3). Although I've heard some people complain of poor picture quality in that type of setup generally, the picture quality on 11.1 and 11.2 seems pretty good to me, although I can notice the higher resolution in 1080i broadcasts.

I've always thought that bandwidth limitations prevented any higher resolution/bitrate than 720p for two subchannels, but I see that KUTH is simultaneously broadcasting two 1080i subchannels on 32.1 and 32.2, along with a 480i feed on 32.3, and I have to say, I've never seen better picture quality in a dual-HD (+1) setup. Maybe a little macroblocking with motion on 32.1 and 32.2, but considering what's being transmitted, these feeds are excellent. Even after the two 1080i feeds, 32.3 seems to have better resolution than KUED 7.2 or 7.3 and KBYU 11.3. How is KUTH able to do this? Latest and greatest encoder? Or is KUTH completely maxing out their available bandwidth, while others are not? Just thought this was interesting, since I never saw this before...

Was also surprised to see that KUEN-9 has no HD feed; wondering if they have plans to upgrade anytime soon.

Lastly, does the SLC area have any tv/radio/antenna/dxing club(s) available? I've been involved in these for years, and would enjoy meeting others interested in the hobby around the valley. Thanks in advance for any comments...

Last edited by gcd0865; 07-12-2014 at 06:54 PM.
post #3740 of 3747 Old 07-13-2014, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

About the closest to any clubs, would be the local forums. This one is good for anything to do with TV.
There are a couple of others:
http://talkingutahradio.proboards.com/
http://utahradionews.proboards.com/
And, a national board that leans toward broadcasters, but has some DX'ing stuff:
http://www.radiodiscussions.com/

post #3741 of 3747 Old 07-13-2014, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Comcast is in the process of converting the standard-definition feeds of the local stations to "all-digital".....meaning that they will down-convert the HDTV feed to SD on the SD channels.
Previously, in KSL's case, they got a separate SDTV feed via fiber from KSL.
You may notice that the SDTV channels now have a second-language audio on there. That is the Spanish and Descriptive Video channel.
Some stations feed "program audio" to that channel when there is no Spanish translation or DVS available, although some make it sound "funny"....hoping you'll tune to the correct English channel.

If you have a friend or neighbor who complains that "the sound goes on and off", tell them to switch the "Audio", "Language" or "MTS" on their remote. If it keeps going to the wrong one, have them check the "Preferred Language" in their setup menu, or in their Cable STB.
There is a second audio on most stations, on OTA, on Cale, and on DirecTV.
We're still waiting on DISH Network.

post #3742 of 3747 Old 07-18-2014, 10:15 AM

Liked: 0
Enoch, UT

I use to get duplicates on all channels, now I get single channels. A month ago or so, I stopped getting 5-1, 5-2, 5-3 and 13-1. I'm pointed at Cedar Mountain but I have tried the summit tower and still no channel 5 or 13.

Anyone know what's going on? Anyone I can contact to see if they can resolve the issue?

Thanks.
post #3743 of 3747 Old 07-18-2014, 10:36 AM

Liked: 0
Never mind... Tried the hard reset and went from 27 channels back up to 44 channels.. I'm happy again.
post #3744 of 3747 Old 07-19-2014, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 35
What is Comcast doing locally for the HD channels? Is it still overcompressed MPEG-2, or have they finally moved into the 21st century?
post #3745 of 3747 Old 07-20-2014, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skriefal View Post
What is Comcast doing locally for the HD channels? Is it still overcompressed MPEG-2, or have they finally moved into the 21st century?
They've done MPEG-4 for a while now.

It isn't so much a matter of moving into the 21st century. With some 23 Million subscribers, that's a ton of boxes to replace ($$$$). They've got quite a few systems in 40 states, which also means alot of headend equipment to replace($$$).

I just went back to Comcast from DirecTV, and I've not seen any issues with HD. Now that they've done away with analog, they have quite a bit more bandwidth to use.

CIAO!

Ed N.

Last edited by egnlsn; 07-20-2014 at 08:50 AM.
post #3746 of 3747 Old 07-20-2014, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I was asking for much the same reason. I'm currently using Dish Network, which had a much better picture than Comcast the last time I was able to compare (a number of years ago). Comcast's over-compressed (~ 9mbps) MPEG-2 HD channels plus the old (even at the time) Motorola DVRs with tiny hard drives and painfully-slow, ad-infested on-screen channel guides were definite put-offs.
post #3747 of 3747 Old 07-20-2014, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

While the video (channel) portion of the X1 DVR is QAM, the DVR is cloud-based and holds up to 50 programs. Being cloud-based, you can watch your DVR on mobile devices.

There are also Pandora and Facebook, as well as a few other apps. Hopefully, as time goes on they'll add more.

There are a couple of pretty good articles about the service at http://www.ksl.com/?sid=26230829 and https://www.mhta.org/comcast-launche...e-twin-cities/. The whole thing takes a bit of getting used to, but overall it's well worth it. The DVR's interface looks very much like Netflix, and unlike other remotes where you press the numbers to go to a channel, when you press the buttons on the X1 remote, a list comes up on the right side of the screen. The first option is the channel number you've pressed. The other options are channels, programs (includes movies), and actors/actresses whose names begin with the letters that correspond to the buttons you've just pressed. The buttons are like a telephone keypad.

The only place I've seen ads is on the Music Choice channels. Haven't seen any in the guide.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page