AVS Forum banner

Salt Lake City, UT - HDTV

434K views 4K replies 399 participants last post by  egnlsn 
#1 ·
Anyone have any information when Channel 24, the UPN affiliate will come on line with HDTV? I want to see "Enterprise" (and T'Pol) in HDTV before the series is cancelled!

#3,103 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpatky /forum/post/18725712

awesome. my tivo premiere is set to be delivered today. hopefully the channels show up in my guide, at least, when i run guided setup.

yup. they all showed up in my guide, too. i know june 8th is the analog shutoff day for comcast around here. hopefully these channels get turned on soon after. the best part- is that the guide is already complete! i've had so many problems with comcast adding a couple hd channels at a time and not being able to have any season passes with the tivo because tivo (tribune) didn't know we got those channels. i was really afraid of that this time.

#3,104 ·
TIVO HD users on Comcast. I was looking at the April pricing sheet and it shows a "HD technology charge" of $7/month. Are you having to pay this $7 fee, plus a cablecard fee (if you have more than one, such as in a Series 3) with your TIVO?

I assume this is an increase of $7 month over what you used to pay?

(I'm still on analog cable and OTA HD).

jb

#3,105 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porford /forum/post/18726107

I'm not able to picture the antenna "that lays flat" that you describe. But I have had good luck with the "Silver Sensor", an indoor antenna. (Google it.) I also live near a forest of trees and have now had to put a big UHF antenna on my roof to get all stations reliably.

I think he means this one:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/RCA+-+In...&skuId=8939839

I'd recommend the Silver Sensor instead. If you want Telemundo, you might need something with added (VHF) rabbit ears, like the Terk version....right now, only Telemundo (channel 10) is VHF. All the others are UHF (14-51).

#3,106 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannywsu /forum/post/18721082

I'm looking for an antenna suggestion to get the most HD channels possible.

I just moved in to the East Village student housing near Foothill and Sunnyside, near the U of U. My apartment is on the 3rd floor (top story). The back of the apartment has a few trees as obstructions and faces where all of the broadcasting antenna and my TV will be in the front of the apartment (facing away from the broadcast antenna). The apartment has cinder block walls as well.

I was wondering if an indoor antenna that lays flat, either laying flat on my TV stand or hung on the wall behind the TV would be effective at getting the local HD channels.

Does anyone have any experience or ideas if this type of antenna would work for me?

First, go to www.tvfool.com and enter your location, and copy the results link. Then visit the http://www.dtvusaforum.com/dtv-hdtv-...na-discussion/

DTVusa Forum and they should be able to help you tweak your reception.

Are there any windows that face your transmitter towers? It would be better than trru a cinderblock wall.

#3,107 ·
I'm just curious of those that have Comcast who actually got the HD Channels added? I got them added, however I know someone who didn't get them and they live near Holladay. And when they called, she was told they won't get them untill Jul 29. It seems odd that they wouldn't upgrade the valley all at once.

#3,108 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarm /forum/post/18728314

TIVO HD users on Comcast. I was looking at the April pricing sheet and it shows a "HD technology charge" of $7/month. Are you having to pay this $7 fee, plus a cablecard fee (if you have more than one, such as in a Series 3) with your TIVO?

I assume this is an increase of $7 month over what you used to pay?

(I'm still on analog cable and OTA HD).

jb

I have one TiVo Premiere and do not see a $7 "hd technology charge" or anything similar. I don't see a cablecard charge either as I assume it's included in my digital cable package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight55 /forum/post/18743551

I'm just curious of those that have Comcast who actually got the HD Channels added? I got them added, however I know someone who didn't get them and they live near Holladay. And when they called, she was told they won't get them untill Jul 29. It seems odd that they wouldn't upgrade the valley all at once.

they all showed up in my tivo guide but none of them are live. i have been receiving updates on the digital transition for months now, all stating that i need equipment by june 8th. this week, however, i received another notification in the mail that said JUNE 29th (not july 29th). i'm extremely disappointed as i've been very patient with comcast in regards to hd channels. no, VOD does not count. i called and they were no help. he said no one had any idea when it would happen. i pressed him on it and he just kind of shrugged it off. big help.

#3,110 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by n o o d l z /forum/post/18776577

I haven't gotten any new channels in West Jordan, but I think we may be one of the last in the valley to get it. From what I remember is was being released in 5 phases.

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_14492226

Of course I say this and get a letter in the mail that afternoon...looks like August 3rd. Was hoping it was going to be June 29th.

#3,111 ·
Saw a posting on one of the other boards, asking if KUTF in Logan (channel 12) is on the air yet.

Anybody up that way that can check?

Also, any action on channel 19 at SLC?

#3,118 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpatky /forum/post/18841051

well, comcast killed their analogs sometime last night or this morning. only locals and shopping channels are left. i was told that my area (orem/provo) will see the new hd channels mentioned earlier in this thread will go live july 8th.

they're live now. some of them are pretty slow to change channels to on my tivo. oh well. i can't complain when my HD channels almost doubled.

#3,119 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpatky /forum/post/18857620

...... i can't complain when my HD channels almost doubled.

Quantity isn't everything

What new channels are you getting?

#3,120 ·
here's what we have now. it'll eventually cover all of utah so if you don't have it yet, you'll get it soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenlantz /forum/post/18725438

1. IFC (Channel 701)
  2. WE
  3. Fuse
  4. FoxBusinessNetwork
  5. HMC
  6. Bravo
  7. CNBC
  8. QVC
  9. MGM
  10. ESPNEWS
  11. Disney XD
  12. Lifetime Movie Network
  13. Biography
  14. PLANETGREEN
  15. E!
  16. Travel Channel
  17. ToonHD
  18. G4
  19. Style
  20. TV One on One
  21. Comedy Central
  22. MTV
  23. VH1
  24. BET
  25. CMTV
  26. The Weather Channel
  27. TCM
  28. CNN Headline News
  29. TruTV
  30. HSN
  31. MSNBC
  32. Hallmark
  33. GMC
  34. HISTORY INTERNATIONAL
  35. INVESTIGATION DISCOVERY
  36. GAME
  37. TEAM
  38. GAME2
  39. CBS College Sports
  40. Big 10
  41. ESPNU

#3,121 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpatky /forum/post/18868717

here's what we have now. it'll eventually cover all of utah so if you don't have it yet, you'll get it soon.

Still no new HD channels yet through Comcast in Sugar House. Hopefully we'll see them in the next few weeks, since they've been appearing in my guide for over a month. I'm ready for more HD!

#3,122 ·
I'm in Sugarhouse as well, and my friend downtown is still waiting for the channels to show up as well. I'm very happy to hear news of TCM HD and will also watch Comedy Central HD. I've heard bad things about IFC stretching their images and other crap, but hopefully they've got that sorted out by now. I was a fan of MGM HD before they inserted commercial breaks into the movies, then I stopped watching. So unless they've done away with the breaks, I won't watch. TCM was my most-wanted channel, so props to Comcast on that. Now I just need HDNet Movies and more of the premium suites and I'll be happy.

#3,123 ·
Does anyone else find it amusing to watch the lip-sync problem during the World Cup Final? The delay is as bad as I've ever seen it. I've checked it via Comcast and directly over-the-air. And I've checked it on two different TVs. I don't know where the problem lies. Obviously, neither do the people at KTVX. The video is maybe a half second before the audio. Maybe channel 4 needs a new motto. How about, "Video first! Read my lips."

#3,124 ·
KTVX's lip-sync was very close on their OTA signal when I checked, but it was a mile off on Comcast in HD. Comcast analog was about as close as the OTA, though.

#3,125 ·
My friends and I didn't turn the TV off after the game, partly because of the hilarious Ronco knife infomercial that came on after it. Here's the funny part: The infomercial was in perfect sync, but once ABC4's regular programming resumed post-World Cup ("Talking Pictures"), it was out of sync again.

#3,126 ·
Sounds like they have some issues when taking network audio in stereo vs taking a feed of the 5.1 surround.

#3,127 ·
About 2 months ago my signal strength went down to 65% for Fox 13. From antennaweb.org it looks like the signal for KSL, KUTV, and KTVX all come from the same location and their reception is fine. My antenna is DB8 Multidirectional HDTV Antenna It has been installed for 3 years and I have never had any issues with Fox 13.