Salt Lake City, UT - HDTV - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 3747 Old 12-22-2004, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Supposedly Fox is increasing their signal in March '05.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 3747 Old 12-25-2004, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
That would be pretty hard to do..........hauling up a new transmitter in the dead of winter would be almost impossible. Plus, I think they had planned a new tower, too. Adding high power DTV on the existing one, which is at almost ground level of the FP buildings, would probably increase the RFR (RF Radiation) to unacceptable levels.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #363 of 3747 Old 12-25-2004, 09:50 AM

I saw this on Skyreport the other day, concerning FoxHD on D*. I do get locals via D*, but haven't had this happen to me yet. Maybe you still need a waiver?
post #364 of 3747 Old 12-25-2004, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

That's great news for our Sales staff. No more competition for Eyewitness News.....from 9:30 to 10:40, many upscale viewers of FOX will be watching prime-time FOX programming out of L.A., making it easier for us to sell ads on our newscast.

"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #365 of 3747 Old 12-25-2004, 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by kenglish
That would be pretty hard to do..........hauling up a new transmitter in the dead of winter would be almost impossible. Plus, I think they had planned a new tower, too. Adding high power DTV on the existing one, which is at almost ground level of the FP buildings, would probably increase the RFR (RF Radiation) to unacceptable levels.

Yeah, that's a good point I hadn't thought of. To make matters worse, I can't find the source of that info, so I don't have anything to really back me up on that...
post #366 of 3747 Old 12-26-2004, 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by minskerm
I saw this on Skyreport the other day, concerning FoxHD on D*. I do get locals via D*, but haven't had this happen to me yet. Maybe you still need a waiver?

I just called D* and the csr transfered me to the HD department where they checked my eligibility. I now have FOX-HD on channel 89.

I live in the N. Ogden area of Harrisville.
post #367 of 3747 Old 12-26-2004, 04:48 PM

I didn't even have to call. Channel 89 works fine for me...but then again, I've never had any trouble with 13.2 either...

Trouble is, I can't remember the last time I watched FOX; there's nothing on that network I ever want to watch. Perhaps the Superbowl...

Hej på dej!!
post #368 of 3747 Old 12-26-2004, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Eurastus,

Did you have the local channels package? When I called they agreed to add 88 and 89 only if I paid an extra $3.25 a month. I'm not currently subscribed to the locals package so maybe that is the reason for the difference?

She did mention that soon they would "throw in" the cost of Fox HD to all subscribed to the HD package. Till then, Direct TV ain't gonna get my money.

Michael
post #369 of 3747 Old 12-27-2004, 07:52 AM

That's right...I do have the HD package. No local, though. They must have "thrown it in," as you said.

Earlier, during the World Series, I noticed I had 88 and 89--watched parts of a few games. Shortly thereafter, it was gone. Now it's back. I'll check during one of the prime-time HD shows to make sure it's still in HD, but I strongly suspect it is.

Hej på dej!!
post #370 of 3747 Old 12-27-2004, 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by kpoon
i'm 100% positive.

i was watching the game in hd via a myhd mdp-120. it's connected via coaxial s/pdif to my receiver, which was only registering stereo. i manually changed it to pro-logic. the announcers' voices were very muted during the broadcast, so i had to turn the volume way up. weirdly, though, the stadium sounds & the broadcast sfx sounds were normal, as were the commercials. so whenever those sounds came on, it was VERY loud. startled my babies a couple times.

the problem is not w/ my equipment 'cause i got dd5.1 for the fox game that was later in the day.

i'll report later on today's game. thanks.

Did you happen to catch any of the games this past weekend?

I was here for the Christmas Day game, and double even triple checked everything, and as far as we could tell, 5.1 surround was working just as it should.

Wasn't here for the Sunday game, but saw no reports of anything amiss.

Jerry

I don't just watch HD-TV, I make it happen.
post #371 of 3747 Old 12-27-2004, 08:42 PM

Didn't see the Christmas day game, but Sunday's audio was ok for me.
post #372 of 3747 Old 12-28-2004, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

sunday's audio was fine. thanks.
post #373 of 3747 Old 12-30-2004, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If so which channel? Thanks.

Jay
SLC, Utah
post #374 of 3747 Old 12-30-2004, 04:47 PM

The information I have seen from ABC lists it as being in HD. The bowl game before it is also listed in HD.

ABC 4.1

Scott Nielson
post #375 of 3747 Old 01-03-2005, 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by snielson
The information I have seen from ABC lists it as being in HD. The bowl game before it is also listed in HD.

ABC 4.1

I just got my first large TV at Christmas. I live in Cedar Hills where I can't receive any of the over-the-air HD broadcasts, so currently all my TV viewing is just the regular, non-HD stations which I receive via Dish. The non-HD Fiesta Bowl had by far the worst quality picture I've seen yet on my new TV. But the commercials looked much better. So I'm guessing ABC dedicated the majority of their bandwidth coming from the game to their HD feed and didn't leave much for the non-HD feed.
post #376 of 3747 Old 01-03-2005, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by bradvoy
I just got my first large TV at Christmas. I live in Cedar Hills where I can't receive any of the over-the-air HD broadcasts, so currently all my TV viewing is just the regular, non-HD stations which I receive via Dish. The non-HD Fiesta Bowl had by far the worst quality picture I've seen yet on my new TV. But the commercials looked much better. So I'm guessing ABC dedicated the majority of their bandwidth coming from the game to their HD feed and didn't leave much for the non-HD feed.

Have you had your set calibrated yet? Do you have cable or D*?

Suburbia: where trees are cut down and streets are named after them.
Flickr photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nvsteve/sets/
post #377 of 3747 Old 01-03-2005, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I don't know about bradvoy, but my part of Cedar Hills does not even have cable in the ground!

Sorry to hear that you cannot receive any HD OTA... I was planning on putting an antenna in the attic in hopes of being able to receive some of the local HD, but it does not sound to promising. I know antennaweb.com does not list any digital stations as being available to this zip code.

Steve

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
The Barn - Use Password = AVSForum
post #378 of 3747 Old 01-04-2005, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Where, exactly, is Cedar Hills?

BTW, the locals on sat are VERY compressed.

post #379 of 3747 Old 01-04-2005, 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by NVboy
Have you had your set calibrated yet? Do you have cable or D*?

I haven't had my new set profesionally calibrated, but I'm very pleased with the picture quality overall. Most non-HD shows look better than I expected they would, and DVDs look fantastic. The non-HD Fiesta Bowl broadcast was an exception; it had a much worse picture than anything else I've watched.

I'm receiving my signal via Dish Network.
post #380 of 3747 Old 01-04-2005, 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by kenglish
Where, exactly, is Cedar Hills?

BTW, the locals on sat are VERY compressed.

Cedar Hills is in the north end of Utah Valley, east of American Fork and north of Pleasant Grove. Point of the Mountain is between us and Farnsworth Peak, so we can't get any OTA broadcasts.

I've read before that the satellite carriers tend to apply a lot of compression to the local channels. But with the non-HD broadcast of the Fiesta Bowl, the commercials looked much better than the game itself. That led me to conclude that the biggest problem was not the compression applied by Dish Network (which would have been the same both during the game and during the commercials).
post #381 of 3747 Old 01-04-2005, 03:50 PM

Hey all -- long time lurker here on and off the last few years. I just picked up a Samsung 30" set and a Silver Sensor (thanks to folks on this thread). I live 9 miles from Farnsworth peak -- about 60th south and 60th west. Which way do I "aim" the Silver Sensor? I put it up in the attic, but don't know if it should point TOWARDS the peak, or point AWAY. I have it pointing TOWARDS the peak right now, with reasonable results. I had 2 and 5 coming in great last night, but 4 was pixely?

Anyone know? I'm trying not to be a newb, and searched the forums, but haven't uncovered anything helpful yet. Any locals willing to offer a hand?

Randy Clements
post #382 of 3747 Old 01-05-2005, 10:10 AM

For those of you that antennaweb.org predicts no digital signal I may have some good news. I live in Highland and it predicted no signal for me. I just got a tv in December and I get most everything except fox. I am hopeful for when they boost their power. So give it a try. Most of the signals are around 60% and I never see dropouts. I just have a 10' radio shack antenna in my attic.
post #383 of 3747 Old 01-05-2005, 12:47 PM

Wow, that's great news. I'm in Highland and haven't had any luck so far. Do you mind telling me aproximately where in Highland you are? (PM is fine if you don't want it in the forum)

I'm at about 5800 W. and 10600 N. and can't get anything with a Winegard HD9095P. I haven't tried an amp yet. Are you using any amplification with your setup?
post #384 of 3747 Old 01-05-2005, 01:05 PM

I thought I'd follow up on my post a few weeks ago. I had a Wineguard 65" antenna in my attic. I got all channels but: 13, 14, and WB (30?). I really wanted to get 13, so I had the antenna professionally mounted on my roof. I should mention that I live in Orem around 1800 North and 200 West (real close to Lindon) and I'm 34.7 miles away from the digital stations. After mounting on the roof, I can now get 14 and WB. The WB channel has a weak signal and sometimes I get a digital freeze. I really don't watch WB, so I haven't really cared. I also get 14, but I still can't get 13 (Fox). I should also mention that prior to the roof mounting, I was only occasionally able to get 7.2 (PBS). Now I get 7.2 with no problems.

I have DishNetwork and some of you may be aware that they how have a signal strength reading on OTA channels on the 921 receiver. I'm getting a reading of round 105 on 2.1, 4.1, and 5.2.

I wish Fox would boost their signal before March!!!!!!!!!!

BTW- Any news if Dish is going to add ESPN 2 HD?
post #385 of 3747 Old 01-05-2005, 01:31 PM

I have to agree with ajones. I posted a while ago about my grandmother's new house just south of Micron in Lehi. I brought my Silver Sensor up there and although I couldn't get anything inside the house, when I took the SS outside, I got everything (barely) but Fox. So, I figured a CM4228 (probably an overkill) would do the trick. Well, when it was being installed, we found that the builders had run an RG6 to the attic, and she much preferred it (aesthetically) in the attic. So, they tried it there. Still no Fox, but she's getting solid transmissions from the rest of the d-broadcasts. So, even though POM is in the way, things are good there until Fox gets around to boosting (fixing) their signal.

She's not using amplification, but she's diplexing it through an Aspen Eagle 5x8 multiswitch to her hd10-250 (you can guess that she's not the one that designed this system. )
post #386 of 3747 Old 01-05-2005, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by handyrandyrc
Which way do I "aim" the Silver Sensor? I put it up in the attic, but don't know if it should point TOWARDS the peak, or point AWAY. I have it pointing TOWARDS the peak right now, with reasonable results. I had 2 and 5 coming in great last night, but 4 was pixely?

Anyone know? I'm trying not to be a newb, and searched the forums, but haven't uncovered anything helpful yet. Any locals willing to offer a hand?

Randy Clements

I point my SS towards the peak. Meaning, the smallest "point" on the antenna is the closest part of the antenna to the peak.

One thing to keep in mind (I'm a LOT further from the peak than you are and I get everything with my SS in my attic) is that the antenna for me was quite sensitive to placement. It worked MUCH better just 6 inches to the side of a point where I would get no signals. The best way is to just move it around with the signal meter on your receiver showing until you get a signal. I'd probably recommend using Fox because I don't know anyone who can get Fox well that has a problem with other stations.
post #387 of 3747 Old 01-05-2005, 02:13 PM

I'm about 6800 west 10400 North. I do have a 20db amp on it. I forgot about that. I didn't do anything special in mounting it. With it a 10' antenna in the attic, you can imagine it was a tight fit. In fact I went to look at it and i think i put it up backwards. It works though so i won't mess with it. It is just the 120" generic radio shack kind.
post #388 of 3747 Old 01-05-2005, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
ajones.........

Of the Radio Shack Antenna's... is it the biggest one, or the next one smaller??

Thanks,

Steve

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
The Barn - Use Password = AVSForum
post #389 of 3747 Old 01-06-2005, 08:30 AM

It is the next smaller one. I am very happy with it.
post #390 of 3747 Old 01-06-2005, 01:19 PM

Long time lurker, new to HD, thanks for all your good info.

Comment about antennas. I was up in the attic last summer (HOT) and accidently knocked over the antenna. My kids, watching TV, yell, "Dad, that's great!!!" I moved it around a little, changed direction, discovered much better reception when the "point" (the closed end of the V) is pointed away from Farnsworth Peak. Silly me, I had always assumed the "point" of the antenna should point toward the station. Much better SD reception after the change. I think the proper orientation is with the open end of the "V" pointing toward the station, not the point of the V. Just a thought...

Same with HD broadcasts?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page