Salt Lake City, UT - HDTV - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 3747 Old 01-31-2005, 08:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I sent an email to fox (from the "contact us" part of their website) asking what happened, I have not heard back.

I am hoping that the problem is fixed by the superbowl. I am heading up into my attic tonight to adjust the antenna to see if I can even get the signal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 3747 Old 01-31-2005, 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by stupidsexyflande
Whats up with Fox 13?

My signal dropped off sometime in the last week, and I have not been able to get it back. I am using over the air with the new LG unit (HD/DVD combo), and an $39 antenna from Home Depot in the Attic. I live in the Sandy/Draper area (up on the bluff near 1300 east, 11800 south)

It came in fine for the Eagles/Falcons game, and I have not had the signal since.

I feel for you -- terrible timing given the Super Bowl, etc.

I haven't had any noticeable problems with Fox, though being on South Mountain (Draper ~ 14900 south) probably helps. My signal strength isn't wonderful however -- coming in at around 67%.
post #453 of 3747 Old 02-01-2005, 08:00 AM

I fixed the problem. Had to raise the antenna up higher, and change the direction a bit.
post #454 of 3747 Old 02-01-2005, 09:57 AM

Yeah, KSTU was much better for us last night.

With that said, KUWB's HD seemed to be on the fritz again last night. For the first time this year, we got around to watching Everwood in HD instead of just letting the Replay do its job, but I guess its just bad luck. No HD. I guess it was better than the show (whatever it is...) before it. No audio.
post #455 of 3747 Old 02-01-2005, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Anyone with a DTC-100 having trouble with KTVX-TV (analog)? Looks like the addition of "branding" on their analog (sent by the DT's PSIP) won't allow us to see channel 4. KBYU-TV is doing the same "branding", but their analog comes in OK.

Turning of the user guide in the DTC-100 makes it work again.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #456 of 3747 Old 02-01-2005, 06:41 PM

Hey guys. I've never had any problems with fox before. But tonight i wanted to watch american idol and i'm getting nothing. I also ran the auto program to see if that would fix the issue but nothing. The auto program will pick up the channel but it's just not coming in. Thanks in advace!
post #457 of 3747 Old 02-01-2005, 07:28 PM

Similar deal -- my OTA HDTV receiver was getting American Idol on 13, 13-1 and 13-2 but they were all standard definition. No HD the entire program long as far as I could tell.

Let's hope this gets cleaned up before Sunday.
post #458 of 3747 Old 02-01-2005, 07:43 PM

Well I have 13-1 back on but 13-2 is still crapped out. At least it's not my anntenna then. I wish i'd never had the thing installed it's been more head ache than it's worth
post #459 of 3747 Old 02-01-2005, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I'm sure the Fox (channel 13.2) HD problems are are transmission problem not a receiver problem. My antenna and receiver have not changed at all, yet the FOX feed went out. One day, good reception, the next day nothing.

They better get that fixed soon or they'll have a lot of unhappy football fans.
post #460 of 3747 Old 02-02-2005, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Same issue here with 13-2 on my DTC-100. Could not watch American Idol in HD last night either. Had to settle for watching on my old trusty 27 inch trinitron.
In the end I didn't mind - saved me from suffering through a million signal dropouts. Again, here is to hope that FOX13 can increase their signal strength soon.

Michael.
post #461 of 3747 Old 02-02-2005, 09:05 PM

Come on folks. Do a rescan on the channels, all stations changed the PSIP to meet FCC requirments by Feb 1. Some tuners need a rescan to tune correctly.
DBird
post #462 of 3747 Old 02-03-2005, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

i get reception on both 13-1 & 13-2. however, i'm not getting hd on 13-2. i'm only getting sd w/ gray bars on the sides. i get two station bugs, one in the lower right hand corner of the sd picture and the other in the lower right hand corner of the right gray bar. rescan didn't change things. "arrested development" on sunday looked fine, but "24" on monday is when i first noticed this problem. what's going on?
post #463 of 3747 Old 02-03-2005, 07:37 PM

Anyone know a good antenna, or antenna installer for someone that lives in southern utah county? I can get most of the stats in Digital most of the time, but I can never get Fox in digital, my Dish 811 never picks it up when I scan. I want a good solution that doesn't cost me at on =) I wonder if I could just get Dishnetwork to install a roof antenna for me for a good price. I would just get Direct TV but they make you pay for your equipment...grrrr......Thanks for the tips in Advance.
post #464 of 3747 Old 02-03-2005, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kpoon
i get reception on both 13-1 & 13-2. however, i'm not getting hd on 13-2. i'm only getting sd w/ gray bars on the sides. i get two station bugs, one in the lower right hand corner of the sd picture and the other in the lower right hand corner of the right gray bar. rescan didn't change things. "arrested development" on sunday looked fine, but "24" on monday is when i first noticed this problem. what's going on?

I observed exactly the same thing. Again, hope this fixes before the game.
post #465 of 3747 Old 02-03-2005, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by deadsoulz
Anyone know a good antenna, or antenna installer for someone that lives in southern utah county? I can get most of the stats in Digital most of the time, but I can never get Fox in digital, my Dish 811 never picks it up when I scan. I want a good solution that doesn't cost me at on =) I wonder if I could just get Dishnetwork to install a roof antenna for me for a good price. I would just get Direct TV but they make you pay for your equipment...grrrr......Thanks for the tips in Advance.

You may want to consider the Terk TV44 or the Terk TV42. Both are very inconspicuous, as they simply mount to the top of your existing dish.

I use the TV42 and am able to get all the locals, though I wasn't able to get Fox until I repositioned the antenna 3-5" along the dish's perimeter.

I had a Dish Network guy come out just to install it (only because I didn't want to mess with all outside-to-inside house wiring) -- I think they charged me $30. Worth it, IMO...
post #466 of 3747 Old 02-03-2005, 10:36 PM
Advanced Member

i found the following number to our local fox affiliate from earlier in this thread:

536-1313

i called them a few months ago to inform them of nfl hd problems when they first went live with it. i'm gonna call them tomorrow to see if they know about the current problem & if it will be fixed by sunday.

i suggest that everyone else call them as well. there's no use waiting until the last minute on sunday, hoping they know about the problem and waiting to see if the problem gets fixed. when you call, ask for the engineering department.

good luck.
post #467 of 3747 Old 02-04-2005, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

FOX's failure would spell certain disaster for Super Bowl parties all across the Wasatch Front!

Please post ASAP if anyone hears anything from FOX.

If the Super Bowl isn't in HD, then my wife will make me watch Hot Homes of Utah!

ISF Certified
post #468 of 3747 Old 02-04-2005, 07:26 AM

Comcast came out to replace my HD STB with a dual tuner HD DVR (Motorola DCT-6412) yesterday. Their tech was pretty clueless (he wanted to hook it up using composite or s-video) so I had to help him get it working on my Samsung DLP TV.
It's not as user friendly as Tivo, but I'm happy with it for only $5 more than the $5 extra I was already paying for HD. The remote that he left with the DVR also isn't the latest one from what I have been reading. It doesn't have a button to switch between the 2 tuners. I had to read through this thread to see how to program the remote for tuner switching & add a 15 sec skip button. All in all I'm pretty happy with the setup.

Jeff
post #469 of 3747 Old 02-04-2005, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

i just called & spoke to one of their engineers. he said they were putting in some new equipment this week, & they were aware of the problems. he also said that the problem should be fixed now.

then he said something weird. he said that some of the network shows last night weren't in widescreen. huh? they were supposed to be hd, so they SHOULD have been widescreen. i wonder if they think there is no problem when there actually is!

i'm gonna check the hd shows tonight. if they're not correct, i'm calling back tomorrow. please report on your calls to the station as well. c'mon, people, we can't afford to have the sb screwed up!
post #470 of 3747 Old 02-04-2005, 10:38 AM

I called. Spoke to a "Bob" in the engineering department.

As kpoon stated, he clearly indicated that they had been having problems -- specifically, Tuesday and Wednesday (American Idol). Then he said that things were taken care of and last night's episode should have been in HD

When I mentioned the presence of last night's 4:3 broadcast, he was emphatic to indicate that HD is NOT always in 16:9. (Huh? news to me...)

Anyway, he reassured me that everything would be fine for the Super Bowl.

Tonight, according to HDTVGalaxy.com, Bernie Mac and Johny Zero are both supposed to be in 720p HD. We'll wait and see if that means 16:9 or 4:3.

Has anyone ever heard of 4:3 HD? Me neither...
post #471 of 3747 Old 02-04-2005, 02:11 PM

I also spoke with with someone in the Engineering dept. and he indicated the same as mentioned above.

I also asked when they would be boosting the signal and he indicated that it would not be until April or later. He said that their schedule has been pushed back by the network and not by the local station.

Here's to hoping all goes well with the Super Bowl.
post #472 of 3747 Old 02-04-2005, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

i think we're being misinformed. while it's true that not all hd is necessarily 16:9, these shows ARE 16:9. the rest of the country is receiving these shows in 16:9. i'm worried that these local fox engineers are thinking that their broadcast is ok, when in fact there's a problem with it 'cause it's not displaying the correct aspect ratio.

again, if the shows tonight aren't 16:9 hd, i encourage everyone to call the station back & complain.

good luck!
post #473 of 3747 Old 02-04-2005, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

looks like "bernie mac" tonight is in hd & widescreen. yes! so far, so good. here's hoping we'll be able to watch the sb w/o any problems. enjoy!
post #474 of 3747 Old 02-04-2005, 07:08 PM

Went and got a antenna at Radio Shack today, one that goes 70 miles. I can now get Fox in HD =) Bernie Mac was in HD and Widescreen tonight =) Thanks, now I just need to tweak the antenna a little more so I can get a little better signal for channel 5, and all the channels will be great =)
post #475 of 3747 Old 02-04-2005, 07:52 PM

Just one more tally mark for Fox being in HD/WS in Provo...
post #476 of 3747 Old 02-05-2005, 05:35 AM

HD/WS way down in south Utah County as well...

Either way, I've got FOX on 13.2 and also the LA affiliate on 89 on DirecTV to choose from. We'll see which has the better picture come Sunday afternoon...

Hej på dej!!
post #477 of 3747 Old 02-05-2005, 11:22 AM

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to give a formal hello to all of the HDTV watchers/ HT buffs here in SLC and say "nice to meet you".

(Figured that this would be the best thread to use)

I had comcast piping in HD in my apartment, but since I am a new homeowner in West Jordan, I went to OTA to get my HD for free.

Running a new samsung t451 box via DVI with a panny 47" rptv

Getting about 85% signal strength even though I live about 5 miles (or so) from Farnsworth. I'm in the oaks at jordan hills subdevelopment way out on 7800 south. Whatsup with that?? I have a crystal clear line of sight and----oh well.. Is it possible to be TOO close?? maybe its because I have an amplified indoor antenna in the attic- don't laugh-it works ok.

Didn't realize fox was having issues broadcasting HD. will have to pay attention tonight. I normally work nights, so primetime eludes me the beginning of the week. Thank god for 7.2 so I can get my fix.

Here's to a great time sunday evening-
Drink alot and be merry
post #478 of 3747 Old 02-05-2005, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Don't make too much out of the percentage readings. They are not just a "signal strength", but more of a "figure of merit", or "quality of signal".....they indicate how easily the receiver is working. A lower number usually indicates an increasing amount of error correction that is being required to make a picture and sound, but the numbers are not absolutes. They are a good indication from one channel to another, but may not mean much from box to box. Also, a weak station might have good multipath, and so give a better number than a strong station with more multipath to have to correct.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #479 of 3747 Old 02-05-2005, 04:36 PM

Hi Ken,

[ Also, a weak station might have good multipath, and so give a better number than a strong station with more multipath to have to correct. [/b][/quote]

Can you define multipath??
Are you referring to my question about actually living too close to farnsworth??

Thanks for the reply.

Ken, it turns out we have a friend in common. Harold and I just got off the phone. His family will be coming over for the superbowl. They haven't seen my new house yet, should be fun.

Actually I know of a few people. I've visited the place a few times and Harold gave me the once-around, hung out, went for lunch, answered corvette questions for Mike, etc....place is simply amazing--
post #480 of 3747 Old 02-06-2005, 03:24 PM

Liked: 11
Is anyone else having problems getting the Superbowl in HD? I thought that after 4:00 it should be, but it appears to be SD right now, any thoughts?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page