Salt Lake City, UT - HDTV - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 3753 Old 06-02-2005, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I just got a nice reboot from 30-1 on my t-165. Will rescanning help? I didn't have time to mess with it right now, but I figured I'd mention that it rebooted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 3753 Old 06-04-2005, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The new board is only for news. It has been on-line for a couple of months, in a spare room. We are currently remodelling the room it goes in.

I asked about 5.1 on the Eagles concert just before I left work and was told that NBC hadn't mentioned it yet. We are still holding off on 5.1 from NBC until we are sure about it working reliably. I would have liked to do the Eagles in 5.1, and might have gotten the night crew to keep a close eye(ear) on it if we had known.

We tried the surround for a week last month, and it worked flawlessly, until the night that Master Control was swamped with other problems and didn't notice it had gone bad. Half of a show ran without dialogue. We got so many obscene e-mails and phone calls..............

We are working with Dolby and NBC on the problem. It looks like we have found out what is causing it, we just aren't sure we have a true "fix" for it yet.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #633 of 3753 Old 06-04-2005, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerzdosen View Post

Well, I just got a nice reboot from 30-1 on my t-165. Will rescanning help? I didn't have time to mess with it right now, but I figured I'd mention that it rebooted.

Bakerzdosen, please try the rescan and let me know what you find out. At this point I doubt that it will help but it is worth a try. I'll call the OEM on Monday morning and let them know the bad news.

Rick

DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed by me are my opinions and are not the views of my employer or the company I work for. This disclaimer required to assure compliance with the Sarbanes-Oxley Act, another gift from Congress.
post #634 of 3753 Old 06-04-2005, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenglish View Post

The new board is only for news. It has been on-line for a couple of months . . .

i'm still only getting stereo for the news. should i be receiving dd5.1?
post #635 of 3753 Old 06-05-2005, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Nope. Although the board is designed to do 5.1, no one wants to try it yet. So, it's still just stereo and mono sources.

"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #636 of 3753 Old 06-06-2005, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenglish View Post

Has anyone had any luck getting the "Broadcast Flag" upgrade software from Samsung? I can't seem to get through to them!

I got my upgrade package from Samsung successfully. It was about a year ago that I signed up for it, however, but it arrived within a month or so. This was for an SIR-T151; I don't know if it's the same package for all models or not.
post #637 of 3753 Old 06-10-2005, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How was your reception of the 6/8 NBA finals game on ABC? My OTA reception was horrible with picture break-up and screeching sounds from all channels. I only wathced the last 7 minutes of the 4th quarter.

Anthony
post #638 of 3753 Old 06-10-2005, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magliocchino View Post

How was your reception of the 6/8 NBA finals game on ABC?

my reception was fine. i only noted a couple instances of pixelation over 2 hours. however, i did notice that my signal strength was only 70-75%. usually it's around 87-100% for me on abc. i use a myhd mdp-120 card in an htpc for ota reception. i live in the holladay area. good luck.
post #639 of 3753 Old 06-10-2005, 11:23 AM

I forgot to mention that my OTA is decoded by a Dish 942 HD-DVR. All other channels were fine at the time of the ABC NBA broadcast, so I'm a little perplexed.

Anthony
post #640 of 3753 Old 06-12-2005, 06:48 PM

Game 2 - 1st Quarter. I'm getting standard definition OTA. Bummer.

Anthony
post #641 of 3753 Old 06-13-2005, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magliocchino View Post

Game 2 - 1st Quarter. I'm getting standard definition OTA.

was the whole game in sd? i tuned in for about a minute in the 2nd half, & i noticed it was sd. i thought it might only be a temporary thing.
post #642 of 3753 Old 06-13-2005, 11:36 PM

Why does KSL 5.2 appear scrambled? All other channels including 5.1 are fine.
post #643 of 3753 Old 06-14-2005, 11:24 AM

HD Newbie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys newbie here.

I am moving up to Layton the first week of July and ordering the digital/HD package. I have a mitsubishi widesreen HD TV WS55513, integrated. Now to receive the HD channels all I will need is the HD receiver Comcast will give me and the package right? No antenna's since they give local as well?

Thank you All
post #644 of 3753 Old 06-14-2005, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Comcast HD Digital Cable carries the HD-only channels of KTVX-ABC (652), KSL-NBC (653), KUTV-CBS (654), KSTU-FOX (655), and KUED-PBS (658). No HD from KBYU-PBS or KUWB-WB on Comcast.

With an antenna, you can get all of the HD channels, plus several SDTV subchannels, including BYU-Television, a second educational channel from KULC, PBS Kids, PBS You, Worship Channel, a couple of weather channels, and several radio stations in digital. At the present time, there are also a couple of channels "in the clear" on USDTV.

All of these are available with a small, rooftop UHF antenna. Of course, a combo VHF/UHF antenna will also get several more LPTV stations and the analog full-power stations, as well.

post #645 of 3753 Old 06-14-2005, 10:09 PM

out of the ones you listed needing an antenna for, I would only want to add the WB. ABC (652), NBC (653CBS (654FOX (655PBS (658) will be fine...including my ESPN HD, DISCOVERY HD, INHD 1 and 2. So to get the WB in HD...in an apartment, what type of antenna do you suggest?

P.S. This HD is all brand new to me.

Thanks
post #646 of 3753 Old 06-15-2005, 08:59 PM

The problem has been fixed that caused the HD problems since last Thursday. All our HD and SD digital network feed receivers were dropping out during certain times of the day. Sunday's game meant finding an analog feed and upconverting it just to have something to air.

The interference was caused by a bad mercury vapor flood light--the kind that turns on and off over and over when bad. The bulb had even been changed a few days before. The light was on a timer and when energized would radiate noise around 4 GHz.

Scott Nielson
post #647 of 3753 Old 06-16-2005, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the update on ABC. You guys do a great job. I love ABC's 720p on digital displays.

The problem reminds me of the Apollo 13 story -- sometimes the most insignificant things can cause the biggest headaches.

ISF Certified
post #648 of 3753 Old 06-18-2005, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

"The interference was caused by a bad mercury vapor flood light--the kind that turns on and off over and over when bad. The bulb had even been changed a few days before. The light was on a timer and when energized would radiate noise around 4 GHz. "

Same thing happened at the TCI (now Comcast) Cable headend several years ago.

Funny thing, most people, when told something is causing TV interference, just say you need to get Cable or Satellite .

post #649 of 3753 Old 06-18-2005, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acmetvrick View Post

Bakerzdosen, please try the rescan and let me know what you find out. At this point I doubt that it will help but it is worth a try. I'll call the OEM on Monday morning and let them know the bad news.

Rick

Well, OK, this took me a while to respond to (out of the country again)...

Anyway, I've tuned to 30-1 a couple of times, and it did reboot for me just now. It didn't the first time I tuned to it, but it has rebooted several times in a row.

With that said, on the 7th before we left, and it didn't seem to reboot then.

Sorry it took so long, but figured it was better late than never...
post #650 of 3753 Old 06-19-2005, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm getting re-boots on 30 and 13 with the Samsung SIR-T165. Still no luck on getting the new software for it from Samshrug.

BTW, what OTA DTV receivers are people seeing in the local stores? I've only seen 5-6 models available in SLC.

post #651 of 3753 Old 06-19-2005, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

ABC HD

Has anyone been able to receive their signal in 5.1? Last night's Lilo & Stitch movie was not in 5.1, neither have most of the movies that they have shown lately. I swear they have shown 5.1 stuff in the past. I understand that the finals games are not in 5.1 but wasn't Monday night football?

Michael.
post #652 of 3753 Old 06-20-2005, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone in the Monroe or Richfield, Utah area:

If you are home Friday, June 24 and have access to a DTV receiver, you may be able to get the Salt Lake stations in Digital.

The Utah Association of Counties is holding it's USACCC 2005 Summer Workshop at the Snow College Conference Center in Richfield. This is a workshop for County Commissioners and Council members. As part of the activities, many (if not all) of the Salt Lake City area Digital TV stations will be on the air (under an FCC experimental authorization) via Digital TV translators at Cove Mountain, in order to show how Free Over-the-Air Digital TV can be provided to ALL COMMUNITIES, not just the big cities.

Be sure to tune in.....and let us know if you saw it.

Channels are UHF 31 (KUTV), 32 (KSL), 33 (KTVX), 34 (KBYU), 39 (KSTU), and a higher power 19 (KUED).

post #653 of 3753 Old 06-21-2005, 02:45 PM

Hello again Ken. Know I am probably the last person you want to here from, but I thought I would let you know I visited the company responsible for antenna maintenance, sky-view technologies. Went into their shop to see the picture quality from OTA reception. You can see the antennas from their business and they are about a mile away. The picture was either ghosty or snowny depending on the channel and this was with an antenna with a booster. They tried to sell me their service, which is all analog, and which they have no plans on changing to digital. Mentioned they only have so long to comply, and they stated it would never happen. No way will they make peoples tv's obsolete was close to the quote. Anyway, they stated the only way I could possibly get the digital channels was an antenna with a booster, plus according to them, one channel will be UHF and the other VHF so I would need both types of antenna. They even offered me a free antenna and booster confident that I would be unable to receive the channels that way and would be back to subscribe to their service. I declined the offer since everyone I have talked with here, who would install an antenna for me, gives me less than a 10% chance of receiving the signal. At least they are up front with me and don't sell me something that won't do me any good. I have accepted that HDTV is not in the cards for St George until Directv can supply them. I know you think your new digital transmitters will provide us with digital service, but I don't think it will reach many people here.
post #654 of 3753 Old 06-21-2005, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Hopefully, the News Department will cover some of this seminar on Friday and give us some publicity. There should be some good coming of all this, and hopefully some good news to come for your area very soon.

I just got off the phone with Kent Parsons, who is giving the seminar. One interesting thing he said....one of the FCC guys, Hossein Hashemzadeh, who is an Associate Division Chief with the FCC Media Bureau, just got an HDTV setup at his home. He is totally IN LOVE with it! "More than he ever believed it could be!"

It's nice to have friends at the FCC. The guys that are working on this stuff are totally committed to making this all work out.

BTW, what "subscription" service were they trying to sell you? Cable TV or something? I thought they were taking care of the free, OTA translator system. I would suspect that DirecTV L-I-L HDTV service for Salt Lake stations is probably not going to happen until 2007, when DirecTV 10 and 11 are launched. We should have DTV translator service down there before then.

post #655 of 3753 Old 06-27-2005, 12:49 AM

kenglish...

your new audio board for news. what kind is it?? any chance for a tour for a local audio engineer??
post #656 of 3753 Old 06-27-2005, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

It's a Calrec Zeta 100. I think I posted a drawing once, but let's try again.

Maybe we could set something up in a few weeks, when the room is done.
LL

post #657 of 3753 Old 06-27-2005, 02:22 PM

Good choice for your place. I've mixed on several Alphas, and the Q2 and S2. I LOVE the way calrecs drive. :-)

...we now return you to your regularly scheduled topic...
post #658 of 3753 Old 06-28-2005, 05:58 PM

Long time lurker of this thread, figured it was about time I post.

I first must say that it is amazing that there are so many engineers from the local stations that post in this thread. This sort of access to those with a clue seems to be getting more and more rare.

The reason for my post is this, can anyone provide a list of digital stations available via comcast "free to air"? Hopefully someone with an atsc pci card. I've been using a dvb-s pci card to view unencrypted sat programing for a few years now, and would like to add an atsc card to my setup. To help justify this cost to myself I'm hoping that there are a few extra channels that I will be able to get in addition to the local ota.

Also, does anyone know what frequencies comcast uses in this market for the QAM material? I know that I have filters for ~300-~420Mhz and the standard channel 6 filter on my line, but I think that those are all. I have cable internet access so I know ~800mhz is being passed.

Ken: as a student engineer, I'd love to be included on the list for a tour of the new board.
post #659 of 3753 Old 06-29-2005, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

When I scanned Comcast a few weeks ago, with a Samsung SIR-T451, I found:
77-5 In-Demand Barker Channel, 82-2 thru -9 Spanish music, 84-11 Weather, 87-1 KSL-HD, 87-2 KTVX-HD, 90-1 KUTV-HD, 90-3 thru -5 ESPN PPV Billboards, 92-1 and 92-2 Chinese Movies, 100-1 KSTU-HD, 100-2 KUED-HD, and 106-10 Golf Channel.

You can look up the frequencies on several sites, using the Cable channel numbers.

post #660 of 3753 Old 06-29-2005, 09:22 PM

Not sure if it is just me or if anyone else has noticed that KTVX-HD OTA broadcast (4-1 and 4-2) have been dead for the last couple days?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page