Salt Lake City, UT - HDTV - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 3737 Old 09-05-2004, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Be sure to ALWAYS mention to the realtors and owners that you want to be able to get ALL TV reception......that you will be wanting OTA, not just Cable or Satellite, and that you will be wanting access to any satellite provider you choose. Make them show you (and explain to you) the rules, up front.

If enough people ask, maybe they will start making provisions for OTA and Satellite services through a proper SMATV system on their buildings. If no one asks, they figure "Cable is good enough", or "DirecTV is plenty", or "DISH Network is fine", or even "just use rabbit ears, read a book, watch videos, stare out the window,......".

There are many options out there. Don't let them keep you from them.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 3737 Old 09-05-2004, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i'm getting no reception for fox 13-2. ne1 else have this problem? all i get is the 13-1, sd subchannel.
post #123 of 3737 Old 09-05-2004, 09:28 PM

yep, I wasn't getting 13-2 at all, just 13-1. Although signal strength was high enough for a picture, it was dark for me too.

And as to your comment Ken about realtors and owners, my problem is not them, its, um, how to put this delicately... its the wife. A large rooftop antenna doesn't score well in the WAF category. But that's me (us).

HOWEVER, I'd never heard of SMATV. 5 minutes of googling was very educational.
post #124 of 3737 Old 09-07-2004, 08:10 AM

No one has any info on whether UT State Law, SLC Law or Salt Lake County Law specifies that you can mount an antenna on any building roof for OTA? I am fully aware of the Federal Law.

I have made it CLEAR to my realtor my requirments for my HT; big enough room for throw distance, balcony with line of sight to Fawnsworth Peak for antenna, possibility of setting up roof top antenna, etc. I have even discussed with the developers of some new construction properties I've looked at to make these provisions. They don't seem to get it ;{

In my realtors defense, she has been very good about showing me places which try to fit my HT needs.

Thanks
Joe
post #125 of 3737 Old 09-07-2004, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

I just did a search on Utah statutes (I'm an attorney), and I don't find anything about TV antennas, only amateur radio antennas. While not directly on point, it certainly suggests that FCC regulations trump municipal regulations (see below):

10-9-108. Regulation of amateur radio antennas.

(1) A municipality may not enact or enforce an ordinance that does not comply with the ruling of the Federal Communications Commission in "Amateur Radio Preemption, 101 FCC 2nd 952 (1985)" or a regulation related to amateur radio service adopted under 47 C.F.R. Part 97.
(2) If a municipality adopts an ordinance involving the placement, screening, or height of an amateur radio antenna based on health, safety, or aesthetic conditions, the ordinance shall:
(a) reasonably accommodate amateur radio communications; and
(b) represent the minimal practicable regulation to accomplish the municipality's purpose.

ISF Certified
post #126 of 3737 Old 09-07-2004, 09:48 AM

Thanks for the input Kevin.
post #127 of 3737 Old 09-07-2004, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Kevin R. Anderson
I just did a search on Utah statutes (I'm an attorney), and I don't find anything about TV antennas, only amateur radio antennas. While not directly on point, it certainly suggests that FCC regulations trump municipal regulations (see below):

10-9-108. Regulation of amateur radio antennas.

(1) A municipality may not enact or enforce an ordinance that does not comply with the ruling of the Federal Communications Commission in "Amateur Radio Preemption, 101 FCC 2nd 952 (1985)" or a regulation related to amateur radio service adopted under 47 C.F.R. Part 97.
(2) If a municipality adopts an ordinance involving the placement, screening, or height of an amateur radio antenna based on health, safety, or aesthetic conditions, the ordinance shall:
(a) reasonably accommodate amateur radio communications; and
(b) represent the minimal practicable regulation to accomplish the municipality's purpose.

I did a search through the statutes as well, but couldn't find anything. I swear I looked it up before and did find something. I'm probably getting my FCC and local research confused. I know my home owner's association will allow antenna's(dish), but they can't be mounted on the roof. I just used an indoor antenna until I had Comcast HD installed. Worked like a charm (except for Fox, damn you Fox!). I know that I would be shot if I mentioned that my future house had to fit into specific HT criteria-I'd never hear the end of it.

Suburbia: where trees are cut down and streets are named after them.
Flickr photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nvsteve/sets/
post #128 of 3737 Old 09-07-2004, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by kenglish
KSL-DT is running 15.0 MBps on HDTV and 3.3 MBps on SDTV.

The Olympics were converted from 1080i/50 to 1080i/59.97 before leaving Athens.....we saw a lot of motion artifacts and scan conversion artifacts. Don't know how NBC will do it all in HD in Torino, since most of the world wants 50 Hz.

Thanks for info Ken - does this mean that everyone had the same problems? Dish, DirecTV etc? If they did the hatchet job in Athens I guess that would mean yes... Bummer... Sorry I was blaming KSL!

Another related question - pardon my ignorance but why do you have SD digital channel at all? Why not save the bandwidth? Are you using it to feed translators or something?

Again - sorry for the ignorance!

Thanks!
post #129 of 3737 Old 09-08-2004, 07:22 AM

I am wondering if Comcast in Utah has anything newer than the Motorola 5100? Does anyone know?
post #130 of 3737 Old 09-08-2004, 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by NVboy
I know that I would be shot if I mentioned that my future house had to fit into specific HT criteria-I'd never hear the end of it.

Just another reason that I'm glad I'm still single :}

Joe
post #131 of 3737 Old 09-08-2004, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by joev
Just another reason that I'm glad I'm still single :}

Joe

Holding off until your HDTV needs are met?

Suburbia: where trees are cut down and streets are named after them.
Flickr photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nvsteve/sets/
post #132 of 3737 Old 09-09-2004, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
This seems like the best place for me to pester folks with some general questions.....

I have put a deposit on a house in Cedar Hills (small community outside Pleasant Grove).

I am wondering....

1- who is the local cable provider?

2- do they offer Broadband Internet?

3- What OTA channels should be available in this area?

4- Are there any wireless Internet providers in this area?

5- Does anyone know some good folks to deal with for setting up my HT? (I have room under the garage for my HT... as the builder used a "suspended slab" for the garage)... I have a BenQ 8700+

6- Also looking for a good calibrator for same projector... ISF?

7- Any other suggestions or information I forgot to ask for...!!

Thanks,

Steve

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
The Barn - Use Password = AVSForum
post #133 of 3737 Old 09-12-2004, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

The NBC-HD feed of the Olympics had some noticeable motion artifacts that I think were caused by having to convert from 50 fields to 59.97. I wonder what NBC (and the Olympic Broadcasters) are thinking about for 2006 and beyond? Should there maybe be two streams of video, one in 50 Hz and one in 60? There will be US and Japanese wanting 60, and European nets wanting 50, both in HD and in SD.

We have an SDTV channel because there are many translator stations (and maybe a few cable headends) using it to feed their analog channels. And, it gives us an opportunity to, at least occasionally, break-out separate programming in HD.

"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #134 of 3737 Old 09-12-2004, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Well Comcast (the apparent Cable Co. in my area) just responded to tell me that do not offer either DVR service or HD service in my area... let alone HD-DVR's. Am I bummed.......

So I suppose I will be using one companies broadcasting wireless for internet access and one of the satellite companies for HDTV.

Is anyone in the SLC-Provo area using VOOM? If so, what are your thoughts on their service.

Thanks,

Steve

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
post #135 of 3737 Old 09-12-2004, 10:59 AM

Fox-HD?????

Whats going on? Why no Fox-HD via OTA?

I was under the impression that fox was switching to true HD today 9-12 for NFL games but as of yet I am only receiving a sd picture on channel 13-2, anyone else have any information on this?
post #136 of 3737 Old 09-12-2004, 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by NVboy
Holding off until your HDTV needs are met?

More like until I find the ulimate mate ;}

Joe
post #137 of 3737 Old 09-12-2004, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by bbartschi
Fox-HD?????

Whats going on? Why no Fox-HD via OTA?

I was under the impression that fox was switching to true HD today 9-12 for NFL games but as of yet I am only receiving a sd picture on channel 13-2, anyone else have any information on this?

don't know what's going on, but i have the same problem. i just turned on my tv fully expecting hd, but i was sorely disappointed. can't believe our local affiliate is screwing this up!
post #138 of 3737 Old 09-12-2004, 01:33 PM

Quote:

Fox-HD?????

I called and the engineer said it was looking fine to him, but he'd look into it. If it doesn't change soon give them a call so they don't think it's only me.

I called 536-1313 and then they transferred me to engineering.
post #139 of 3737 Old 09-12-2004, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by GBrock
I called and the engineer said it was looking fine to him, but he'd look into it. If it doesn't change soon give them a call so they don't think it's only me.

I called 536-1313 and then they transferred me to engineering.

thanks. i just called, too. when i asked for engineering, they put me on hold, and then i was disconnected. i called back & just told the problem to the 1st person who answered. that person transferred me to "master control." the girl who answered there didn't know what to say when i told her the problem. she went to ask someone else, who then got on the line. this 3rd person said i was the 2nd person who called w/ the same problem. he said he "didn't know what the deal was," & that they were "looking into it."
post #140 of 3737 Old 09-12-2004, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Just so you do not feel to bad... Fox is not broadcasting HD here in Las Vegas either... although they were supposed to be.

Steve

post #141 of 3737 Old 09-12-2004, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

well, i guess they really are working on it. now i'm getting a completely scrambled picture when i turn to 13-2. my tuner card shows that the sound is dolby 5.1. however, i'm not getting any video or sound.
post #142 of 3737 Old 09-12-2004, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

now i'm getting a stretched sd signal, & the audio is still stereo & terrible. c'mon, fox, get it right!
post #143 of 3737 Old 09-12-2004, 03:00 PM

I also was receiving a scrambles signal for a while and now it has turned to stretched sd signal.
It appeared that the partial partial picture I was getting while it was scrambled was at least fox's digital wide picture.
post #144 of 3737 Old 09-12-2004, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know what HD channels will be available OTA on the south side of Point of the Mountain... I am purchasing a home down in Cedar Hill which is up on the bench east of Alpine.

Thanks,

Steve

post #145 of 3737 Old 09-13-2004, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

536-1313

Everyone who is interested in HD Fox Football should call this number and ask for engineering.

Let them know we will be watching CBS HD football until they get this corrected!
post #146 of 3737 Old 09-13-2004, 10:44 AM

I just spoke with someone in the engineering dept of the local FOX affiliate and he indicated the following:
They were surprised that the switch to HD did not work properly, they have performed tests in the past few weeks that indicated that everything was working properly.
He also indicated that it was a problem they were having with the network feed.
They plan on performing tests today and hopefully will have it up and running by tonight.
post #147 of 3737 Old 09-13-2004, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Did anyone tune in to KUED HD on Sunday night to see the Dan Fogelberg Soundstage concert at 7:00 PM? Was it just my equipment, or was the sound not in sync with the video. It looked to be a quarter to a half second off. Kind of the dubbed Japanese movie effect. Anyone else notice?
post #148 of 3737 Old 09-13-2004, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I noticed the same thing and thought the DD sound was very monophonic (except for clapping in the rear channels) as well as being flat and compressed. Usually the Soundstage shows have great audio.

It didn't help that Dan Fogelberg (IMHO) is not a strong concert performer -- sometimes I wondered if this was the same guy who recorded the albums.

ISF Certified
post #149 of 3737 Old 09-14-2004, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

KSL-TV announced yesterday that Jack Hubbell's "The History of Yellowstone" will premier in HDTV on KSL-DT, HDTV Channel 5-2, on Saturday, October 2, 2004.

This one-hour video, produced entirely in 1080i widescreen HDTV, will air at 4:00 PM MDT, just after the afternoon session of LDS General Conference (which also is in HD).

Details on the national broadcast on HDNet, as well as information on purchasing personal copies, are forthcoming.

(Edit) Here's the link to his website:
http://www.littlebighornproductions.com/

post #150 of 3737 Old 09-14-2004, 12:53 PM

Wow, Yellowstone in HD.

Thanks for the announcement.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page