Salt Lake City, UT - HDTV - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 3753 Old 10-03-2004, 08:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I agree with Timp on this one. The shots of Yellowstone sure looked good--what shots there were. I also felt the need to show the "fake postcards" on the screen wasted time I could be looking at the nature and they just didn't give us enough time to enjoy the scenes before they cut away. Believe it or not, I have an attention span longer then 5 seconds.

Hej på dej!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3753 Old 10-05-2004, 01:58 PM

Hello all:

Does anyone know if people who live in Payson can pick up HDTV signals? I bought a cheesy little indoor antenna that claimed to be amplified for hdtv and I got absolutely nothing. I live in the new neighborhoods near the high school if that helps.

I have DirectTV with the HD package and can get CBS HD via direct. However, ksl denied my waiver request to get the new NBC HD channel from LA so I am looking at other options. I don't want to pay the 200.00 for a outdoor antenna if I still will not be able to pick up the HD channels.

Some people tell me that I can call KSL and they will come out and test my location?

Thanks for the help

--
Grant

Follw.IT HTPC Social Integration

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #183 of 3753 Old 10-05-2004, 03:45 PM

gshipley,

I have also contacted KSL to try to obtain a waiver to get NBC-HD through D* but was also denied. At that time KSL indicated that would send a crew out to determine if getting their signal was possible. They mentioned that certain exceptions would be granted if you were unable to receive the signal but it you were able to get a signal they would charge you for the service call.

If I were you I would try every option with an outside antenna before calling KSL. I live in the Riverdale area which is known as a difficult area to receive OTA signals and I am able to receive all of the networks except FOX with a roof mounted Channel Master 8-bay antenna. You can order the antenna and mounting hardware off the Internet for around 100 dollars.

Hope this helps, good luck
post #184 of 3753 Old 10-06-2004, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

radio shack has pretty much everything you'll need to mount an outdoor antenna. my whole setup cost me about $100 about a year ago. good luck.
post #185 of 3753 Old 10-06-2004, 03:37 PM

Does anyone know what type of antenna I will need to recieve OTA HDTV reception in South Willard. I am hoping that I can get away with an indoor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #186 of 3753 Old 10-06-2004, 03:53 PM

Have you tried antennaweb.org? Try that first.
post #187 of 3753 Old 10-06-2004, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

did anyone here happen to record tonight's episode of lost? it's episode 3. i set my myhd mdp-120 to record it, but it never did. i have episodes 1 & 2 recorded in .tp format, so i'd be willing to swap. ideally i'd like the episode in .tp or .ts format on a single dvd. pm me if you're interested in trading. thanks.
post #188 of 3753 Old 10-06-2004, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Does anyone know if people who live in Payson can pick up HDTV signals? I bought a cheesy little indoor antenna that claimed to be amplified for hdtv and I got absolutely nothing. I live in the new neighborhoods near the high school if that helps.

Hey gshipley I am looking at adding the HD PAK for m D* also, I was wondering why you didn't get the OTA Wineguard through D* for the extra 50 bucks? I am using a Terk TV 36 mounted in my attic (getting reduced signals) because I didn't want to put the big OTA on my new house, this small roof mounted antenna seems to be a good option. Will I be able to pick up FOX with it? (Ogden, UT )

Samsung 60 F7500

Denon 3808CI

Sony BDP-S790 3D/Bluray

Harmony 900

post #189 of 3753 Old 10-07-2004, 08:31 AM

Well.... I did not get the OTA antenna from D* for a couple of reasons.

When I bought my HD receiver (360) they did not offer the extra 50.00 option. They did however sell me the unit for 99.00.

When I bought my HDTivo last month, I bought it from a local retailer.

I am thinking I might call d* up and ask them if I can get the antenna installed now but I doubt they will go for it.

To those of you with a HDTivo and a OTA antenna, everyone always talks about how you have 4 tuners. Mine only has 2 sat in and 1 ant in. I am assuming it can split the OTA in? Also, when you hook the ant in, do you just go to setup and you should see a signal meter at that point? Maybe I should read my hdtivo manual first.

--
gshipley

post #190 of 3753 Old 10-07-2004, 09:36 AM

I'm new to HD. I just purchased a HD TV and a Dish Network 921 last weekend. I'm trying to get the OTA HD channels. I can get channel 2 and 4. However, I can't get 5 (KSL) or 13. The guy I got my 921 from talked me into installing an antenna in my attic. I installed a 5 foot antenna (can't recall the model or brand) last night. I live on North Orem, so I pointed the antenna to the point of the mountain. I tied strings to the front and back to suspend the antenna in the air. I have about a 30 foot cable going from the attic to the basement. From the basement, I have a 50 foot cable going into the antenna impute on my 921.

I know that I'd get better reception if I put the antenna on my roof. However, before I do that I'm wondering if I can do anything to get this current setup to work. Are there any amplifiers or anything that might be boost my signal?? The anntennaweb site said that I'm about 38 miles away.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!
post #191 of 3753 Old 10-07-2004, 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by bivey
so I pointed the antenna to the point of the mountain.

snip

The anntennaweb site said that I'm about 38 miles away.

The transmitters aren't at point of the mountain. They're on Farnsworth peak, which is quite a bit west of PotM. If you're in North Orem and have a largeish directional antenna, you should be fine if you point it over in that direction. (Assuming nothing like a building or big tree is blocking your signal.)

You only need to amplify your signal typically if you have a long run between your antenna and your TV receiver. You can't amplify what your antenna doesn't receive.

Try moving the antenna around and seeing what that does to your signal strength. I know that is not fun in the attic, but it can be a bit like voodoo.
post #192 of 3753 Old 10-07-2004, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
bivey and bakers.......

I will be quite interested to see how this works out...

I purchased a home in Cedar Hill... (I am not there yet... in progress) and am wondering if I will be able to get "any" of the OTA HD broadcasts..??

When I put my address into Antennaweb.org they said there are NO digital stations that I can recieve!

Steve

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!

- Use Password = AVSForum
post #193 of 3753 Old 10-07-2004, 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by HiHoStevo
bivey and bakers.......

I will be quite interested to see how this works out...

I purchased a home in Cedar Hill... (I am not there yet... in progress) and am wondering if I will be able to get "any" of the OTA HD broadcasts..??

When I put my address into Antennaweb.org they said there are NO digital stations that I can recieve!

Steve

Yeah, I've often wondered what reception would be like up there. My parent's address in Highland just up the road from Micron yields much the same thing (although they have no plans for HD in the near future). I'm interested too. Let us know how that works out. I think the unfortunate thing is, you kind of have physics working against you if PotM gets in your way of a line of site with Farnsworth Peak.
post #194 of 3753 Old 10-07-2004, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

I live in Ogden and was wondering what I had to do to get FOX-HD via an OTA or do I hav to wait until D* offers it. If and when D* offers FOX will I need a waiver?

Samsung 60 F7500

Denon 3808CI

Sony BDP-S790 3D/Bluray

Harmony 900

post #195 of 3753 Old 10-07-2004, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

When I bought my HD receiver (360) they did not offer the extra 50.00 option. They did however sell me the unit for 99.00.

How did you swing that? Were you an existing customer and threatened to cancel?

What do I have to do get FOX-HD in Ogden UT with a OTA if it's even possible or do I have to wait until D* offers it? When and if they do offer it will I need a waiver? What's the best way to get it through the actual station or through D*

Samsung 60 F7500

Denon 3808CI

Sony BDP-S790 3D/Bluray

Harmony 900

post #196 of 3753 Old 10-08-2004, 07:40 AM

Whenever you want to order something from D*, just call the 800 and ask to speak with customer retention. They will always give you great deals.

post #197 of 3753 Old 10-08-2004, 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by 1MaNArmY
How did you swing that? Were you an existing customer and threatened to cancel?

What do I have to do get FOX-HD in Ogden UT with a OTA if it's even possible or do I have to wait until D* offers it? When and if they do offer it will I need a waiver? What's the best way to get it through the actual station or through D*

1MaNArmY
First question, where in Ogden do you live?
I live on the border of Washington Terrace and Riverdale. I am able to get FOX (channel 13-2) with a roof mounted (Radio Shack chimney mount) Channel Master 4228 on a 10 foot mast but only at a very weak signal with breakups in the signal. FOX is running at the weakest signal strength of the local networks and is the most difficult to get.

In regards to getting a waiver from D* for the future FOX-HD you need to contact D* and apply for waivers from all the local networks. I have done this and have been granted waiver from CBS and FOX but have been denied from NBC and ABC. There are rumors that FOX-HD is coming to D* sometime in the near future but I am not holding my breath. I have been told that the local FOX network is planning on boosting there OTA signal strength sometime in the near future but I don't see it happening anytime in the near future.

In regards to getting a deal from D* for new HD equipment you should check out this thread on AVS Forum>HDTV>HDTV Hardware>D* Extends $399 HDTV Offer - Now it's $99! And more.
I was able to convince D* to give me a $250.00 credit to purchase a HD receiver of my choice (old Samsung TS 160 was failing), 6-months free HD package, 6-months free Showtime, and HBO for $2/month for 6 months. If you are a current good customer they may offer you the same or better.

I hope this helps, I have found this and other forums a valuable tool for any questions that you may have for HD equipment and reception.
post #198 of 3753 Old 10-08-2004, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Good Deal on the waiver Bbartschi!

Hopefully 1manarmy jumps on this 'cause it doesn't look like FOX cares to boost that signal strength anytime soon. I wish there was more than just Bbartschi and myself complaining
post #199 of 3753 Old 10-08-2004, 02:48 PM

I spoke to the engineering department at channel 13 today about boosting their signal strength and they indicated the following:

Channel 13 has not increased there signal strength as of yet because they felt that the technology that was available was not reliable. Channel 13 is planning on installing new equipment to increase signal strength but it will not be until March of 2005.

Bring on FOX-HD through Direct TV!!
post #200 of 3753 Old 10-08-2004, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

First question, where in Ogden do you live?

bbartschi

I am off 24th around Monroe, I have a good line of site. I plan on adding a small rooftop but I doubt I will be able to get FOX-HD even if its amplified.

So on the waiver which department at D* should I contact? What specific waiver should I ask for and how long does it take before your notified of approval or denial?

Thanks

Samsung 60 F7500

Denon 3808CI

Sony BDP-S790 3D/Bluray

Harmony 900

post #201 of 3753 Old 10-09-2004, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the update!!!

Michael.
post #202 of 3753 Old 10-10-2004, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

was ne1 else getting frequent sound droupouts on the dodgers/cards game last night on fox?

also, did ne1 catch "star trek vi: the undiscovered country," last night on ksl? it was in hd, & i recorded it. however, there was no sound on the hd sub-channel of ksl. what the heck was up w/ that!? i know it wasn't my equipment 'cause i had been recording nbc all night since halfway through "law & order: svu," & sound was fine right up until "star trek" started. it's a shame 'cause this was one of the better "star trek" movies, & the pq was awesome.
post #203 of 3753 Old 10-10-2004, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Uh-Oh! Those tapes come from an outside source, we don't downlink and tape delay them here. Someone didn't swap the audio channels around to the proper feed....we use tracks 3/4 for the Dolby-E for NBC HD, now. The show must have been recorded with only stereo, on tracks 1/2.

Have to find the tape tomorrow and check it.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #204 of 3753 Old 10-10-2004, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kpoon
was ne1 else getting frequent sound droupouts on the dodgers/cards game last night on fox?

also, did ne1 catch "star trek vi: the undiscovered country," last night on ksl? it was in hd, & i recorded it. however, there was no sound on the hd sub-channel of ksl. what the heck was up w/ that!? i know it wasn't my equipment 'cause i had been recording nbc all night since halfway through "law & order: svu," & sound was fine right up until "star trek" started. it's a shame 'cause this was one of the better "star trek" movies, & the pq was awesome.

I didn't get any sound on KSL 5.2 last night. It's nothing out of the ordinary actually.. 5.2 never has sound for half the things I want to see
post #205 of 3753 Old 10-10-2004, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member

did ne1 watch the indy/oak game on cbs today? i was watching it ota. it was hd until after the colts 2nd touchdown midway thru the 2nd quarter. then it looked like something screwy happened w/ the feed, after which they switched to sd. then it was sd for the rest of the broadcast! i recorded the game, so i didn't realize this had happened 'til i watched the recording later in the evening. anyway, reading a thread from a different part of the forum, it sounds like cbs had technical difficulties, which made them switch to the sd feed. but it sounds liike other people at least got switched back to hd later, which wasn't the case for me.
post #206 of 3753 Old 10-11-2004, 08:29 AM

1MaNArmY
In regards to the waiver for the local networks: All I had to do was contact the first level of customer service at D* and they were able to send in my application. Make sure that you request waiver for all the local networks. The rep indicated that it could take several months to process the request but I think that I received my report in about a month.

kenglish
In regards to kpoon comments about Star Trek: this is not the first time that this has happened. I believe there was another Star Trek movie on about a month ago that had the same audio problems. The picture on 5-2 was great but no audio.
post #207 of 3753 Old 10-11-2004, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 31
"Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country" will be re-broadcast on Saturday, October 16, from 6:00-8:00 PM. This will be simulcast in both SD and HD.

This is filling the beginning of the evening lineup prior to the Wyoming at BYU game (8:00 PM). All NBC programming that night will shift to KUWB-30.

I didn't hear anything about last month's movie having a problem. Must have been the same issue.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #208 of 3753 Old 10-11-2004, 08:57 AM

Sorry it took me so long to reply.

I spent some time tweaking my antenna to try and get KSL 5.2. The first time I move it more west from the point of the mountain and KSL came in fine. However, I lost 4.1. So, I moved the antenna again. I did this about 3-4 times. I hit a point where I thought everything was working. After watching KSL for some time, I realized that the signal strength wasn't as good as it should be. There was a football game on and most of the time the picture was fine. However, about 10% - 20% of the time when there was graphics on the screen, it would pixelate. Sometimes it would pixelate when there was a fast moving play. Most of the time it is working.

At this point I haven't tried moving the antenna anymore. I'm wondering if I should invest in an outdoor antenna. I would do this if I knew I could get 13 (FOX).

Can anyone in Orem (around 200 W 1800 N) get FOX??

Also, any suggestions on getting a stronger KSL signal?

Thanks,

Steve, FWIW- I can get 2, 4, 7, and 11 great. I can also get the WB (forgot
the station). I'm not sure what is going to happen in Cedar Hills.
post #209 of 3753 Old 10-11-2004, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Thanks bivey.... I appreciate the information. We were planning on being up there this week, but have had some family "issues" we had to deal with first. We will probably be up there next week...

I have to find out if there are any restrictions in my neighborhood on outdoor antenna's.. It would be nice to hide the antenna in the attic..., but I do not know if it will have good enough reception under the roof.

I do think I am going to try and buy an antenna that has a motorized remote that I can move it with... it would be a pain climbing up and down into the attic trying to get it adjusted properly and the occasional tweaking that always seems to be necessary.

Steve

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!

- Use Password = AVSForum
post #210 of 3753 Old 10-11-2004, 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by kpoon
did ne1 watch the indy/oak game on cbs today? i was watching it ota. it was hd until after the colts 2nd touchdown midway thru the 2nd quarter. then it looked like something screwy happened w/ the feed, after which they switched to sd. then it was sd for the rest of the broadcast! i recorded the game, so i didn't realize this had happened 'til i watched the recording later in the evening. anyway, reading a thread from a different part of the forum, it sounds like cbs had technical difficulties, which made them switch to the sd feed. but it sounds liike other people at least got switched back to hd later, which wasn't the case for me.

We had "Sun Fade" starting around 11:50am.
Signal should have come back around Noon, but it didn't.
Receiver didn't recover from the blackout and needed to be reset, but the one with keys to the receiver room didn't get here till after 2pm, so we had to upconvert the remainder of the game.

We are working on a solution, in case this happens again.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Jerry
KUTV MCO

I don't just watch HD-TV, I make it happen.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page