Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1732 Old 09-17-2005, 01:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma View Post

Anyone else notice WB (38-1) seems to be broadcasting continuously (apparently at full power, cuz when their powered down I get no signal) this last week? Everytime I've checked (even late at night) it seems to be on. It was on for a while last May, IIRC, though, so I don't know if this is permanent or more teasing .

Hopefully they've come to their senses and will leave it on. Some of the programming looks great!

They've gone on this rollercoaster several times.

New Season started - they powered up - just like with the May Sweeps. Thursday night did look nice though - but we'll see if this is just another wobble or the start of something new.

OF COURSE WTSP PROVES AGAIN WHY THEY COMPETE WITH WFLA FOR THE WORST HD STATION IN AMERICA.

Premiere of the much hyped Threshold Friday night. WTSP decides to not put the audio back on after a commercial break around 9:40PM.

Simply amazing.

WFLA and WTSP must look for ways to screw up. You couldnt make this many mistakes without trying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1732 Old 09-17-2005, 06:59 PM

10.2 WTSP-SD is up and operational - though not on 24/7.

Say GOODBYE to the higher bitrates on WTSP HD.

Now if they would just learn how to not mess up their HDTV Programming on 10.1...... But that's asking for a miracle.

Anyone notice they switched LETTERMAN to SD on Thursday night at 12:36am when it ran late because of the President's Speech at 9pm?

IDIOTS.

WTSP and WFLA are just the worst.
post #363 of 1732 Old 09-19-2005, 05:15 PM

Has anyone had trouble picking up FOX-13 ? I live in Sebring and have always been getting it just fine untill the last week and it's gone. I have rescanned channels and all. I even get WTSP-10 from here most the time.
post #364 of 1732 Old 09-19-2005, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

No problems at all in Sarasota, but I'm in a totally different direction from you.

Ron
post #365 of 1732 Old 09-19-2005, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

channel 10 and 13 are in different locations so prehaps you need to repoint your antenna a little south to get 13
post #366 of 1732 Old 09-19-2005, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma View Post

Anyone else notice WB (38-1) seems to be broadcasting continuously (apparently at full power, cuz when their powered down I get no signal) this last week? Everytime I've checked (even late at night) it seems to be on. It was on for a while last May, IIRC, though, so I don't know if this is permanent or more teasing .

Hopefully they've come to their senses and will leave it on. Some of the programming looks great!

I have never been able to get 38-1 from a St. Pete attic antenna. I occasionally check, but no go. Oh well, still can't get it.
post #367 of 1732 Old 09-20-2005, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_FL View Post

Has anyone had trouble picking up FOX-13 ? I live in Sebring and have always been getting it just fine untill the last week and it's gone. I have rescanned channels and all. I even get WTSP-10 from here most the time.

I noticed a much weaker signal on all Riverview station over the weekend. I attributed it to weather conditions.
post #368 of 1732 Old 09-20-2005, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn12341234 View Post

channel 10 and 13 are in different locations so prehaps you need to repoint your antenna a little south to get 13

From Sebring I would suspect that Riverview and New Port Richie are in the same general direction.
post #369 of 1732 Old 10-06-2005, 07:21 AM

Anyone else have glitches wathcing WTSP 10.1 during primetime last night? Every time the signal switched from network to local, my Sammy 360 "Lost Signal" for about 3 seconds. The switch from a local break back into network was fine. Since I'm in Palm Harbor, I almost never have a problem picking 10.1 up.
post #370 of 1732 Old 10-07-2005, 07:43 AM

I had problems last night....Thursday....that were similar to what you had. My OTA signal was going from near 80 down to 0 and I had major pixelization probs during the baseball game (probs started about 9:15pm).

Only thing I can think of was the storm that was passing....perhaps the lightening caused interference to the signal?
post #371 of 1732 Old 10-10-2005, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The 'other' site is down for awhile.. Jaymer and I will be working on transfering the data to another server. It will probably be down for a week or two. It may come up and down during that time. The forums may be locked during that time also so we can grab all the data. I'll post a note on the main page when the transfer is complete. But you'll know when your on the new server though. It won't exactly look like the old one.
post #372 of 1732 Old 10-17-2005, 01:59 PM

Hey,
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum but I searched and couldn't find a more appropriate forum to post in. I live in spring hill about 1 hour north of Tampaand was wondering what the signal strength of the OTA HD signals are up there??? Does anyone know? I've checked antenna web but that doesn't really tell me how good the stations come in up there. I'm getting ready to buy and OTA antenna like the DB8 multidirectional hd antenna and just want to make sure that will be sufficient for my needs. Any help would be appreciated.
post #373 of 1732 Old 10-17-2005, 11:36 PM

You will need a BIG STRONG Antenna with a good preamp if you want error free OTA reception. The cheap multdirectional antennas will be worthless for you.
post #374 of 1732 Old 10-18-2005, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic View Post

You will need a BIG STRONG Antenna with a good preamp if you want error free OTA reception. The cheap multdirectional antennas will be worthless for you.

Define STRONG??...do you have an example???
post #375 of 1732 Old 10-18-2005, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faa_70 View Post

Define STRONG??...do you have an example???

Well, you went to antenna web, right?

How far did it say your location was from the farthest broadcast station?

You need an antenna with that range of reception...

You will also need a 30 foot push up pole at a minimum, I would think...

You may need more than one antenna, I am not sure, not being in your location myself... But a "Tampa Bay Special" with two antennas on the same pole is what works for most...

Good Luck!

Scott

"The thingamagig plugs into the doodad, which is connected to the whatchamacallit"
post #376 of 1732 Old 10-18-2005, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmeoff View Post

I had problems last night....Thursday....that were similar to what you had. My OTA signal was going from near 80 down to 0 and I had major pixelization probs during the baseball game (probs started about 9:15pm).

Only thing I can think of was the storm that was passing....perhaps the lightening caused interference to the signal?

I had that problem (During the game of course)....

I adjusted my antenna direction slightly, (maybe 3 degrees) and my signal has been fine ever since...

Dunno if that will help, but it worked for me...

Scott

"The thingamagig plugs into the doodad, which is connected to the whatchamacallit"
post #377 of 1732 Old 10-20-2005, 09:08 AM

I've tried....I've adjusted and adjusted, got signal strength of 92 for NBC, CBS and FOX with an 88 on ABC. But I keep getting these split-second dropouts; video pixelizes/studders and I know the signal drops down below 50 for that instant (I've watched it). This happens on all channels, maybe 2 or 3 times per hour. Annoying. I've tried an attenuator, but to no avail.

Utilizing a RatShack VU-75 XR antenna in my attic....I'm 30 miles from the majority of the towers (CBS only 8 miles)....along with D* DVR (HR10-250) which I suspect might have something to do with the problem since a lot of others seem to experience the same.

Considering trying antenna outdoors on a roof mount, but I think it would be a waste of time.....my signals are strong now.

Am I alone with this problem? Suggestions?

Thanks....
post #378 of 1732 Old 10-25-2005, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I also have a hr10-250, and your signal strength seems better than mine.
I live 15 miles form Riverview and 20+ miles from Holiday.(Ybor City)
I do not have the same problem you have. I would think it is either your HR10-250 or your wiring. The HR10-250 makes more sense. You are welcome to bring your HR10-250 to my house to test it.
PM me with your phone number if you are interested.

Ben
How good could it be if it isn't HD?
Engadget HD
post #379 of 1732 Old 10-26-2005, 06:27 AM

Before changing anything major, I would check the ground and all coaxial connections to be sure they are in good shape. Make sure there are no shield wires touching the center core of the RG6 cable.

If you do not have a ground wire and ground block you should install them as well...

Just some thoughts... hope it helps!

Scott

post #380 of 1732 Old 10-31-2005, 07:04 PM

This may not be relevant to HDTV but I am receiving excellent reception on all channels with the exception of 38.1.

My distance is 25 miles to Holiday and about 50 to Riverview. I use a USDTV receiver that is downconverting to a 32" analog receiver. The antenna is an old Radio Shack about 15 years old. Mast is about 15'. I am splitting the signal three ways. No preamp.

Basically I am conducting a test before I go out and spend the money on an HDTV receiver. So far so good.
post #381 of 1732 Old 10-31-2005, 11:28 PM

38.1 is operating at around 2% of their licensed power - forgot the exact number...but its either 6kw or 20kw.

It's hard to pick it up through much of Hillsborough and Pinellas.

As they are not one of the big 4 Network, Sinclair pilaged their equipment to go to other markets with stricter rules for the big 4 networks.

They are getting pressure from WB to go full power and supposedly it is coming by end of year or 1Q 2006.
post #382 of 1732 Old 11-02-2005, 07:25 PM

You might want to check channel channel 38.1 and 38.2 again.

It could be just weather conditions, but as of tonight they are coming in on the beach at the same strength as WUSF-DT. Usually 38 does not come in at all.

Using a MyHD 130 and outside antenna, WEDU and WMOR come in around 100%. WTVT and WTOG comes in at around 85%. WFTS and Paxson comes in at around 80%, WTSP comes in around 75% (which I figure is because I have the antenna pointed 90% off axis to Riverview as I can see the strobes), I get around a 70%-75% on WFLA which I have the most trouble with probably due to their Channel 7 placement at the low end of VHF High.

Tonight both 38 and WUSF-DT are showing in the 45% to 55% range but bouncing all around, so its probably weather related instead of the promised power increase.
post #383 of 1732 Old 11-03-2005, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Greetings,

I will be coming to the area in November to put my In-Laws into the OTA world. I am very well versed in the voodoo required to obtain DTV via OTA, so no need to direct me to antennaweb or any other newbie list.

All of their channels are in basically the same direction except for CBS which is ~66 degrees over. I am pretty sure that the wide viewing angle of a DB8 or 4228 will cover it w/o the need of a rotator. How strong is WTSP's signal?

I am also wondering about WFLA. I have a low NBC VHF channel in my area that I can pick up just fine with a 4228 and a CM7777; any input on this channel 7?

They are on average only 40 miles from the towers so I am unsure on the pre-amp needs. I have to use a CM7777 here as I am over 70 miles away. I doubt that I would be overdriving the signal at 40 miles if I amped it?

TIA

ThePicMan

Didn't I already say enough?
Moderated Atlanta DTV User Group
post #384 of 1732 Old 11-09-2005, 02:29 PM

Ben - drop me an email ar rgreene7@ tampa bay rr com

I need some help with an antenna as well as a HDTIVO question.

post #385 of 1732 Old 11-16-2005, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw View Post

I also have a hr10-250, and your signal strength seems better than mine.
I live 15 miles form Riverview and 20+ miles from Holiday.(Ybor City)
I do not have the same problem you have. I would think it is either your HR10-250 or your wiring. The HR10-250 makes more sense. You are welcome to bring your HR10-250 to my house to test it.
PM me with your phone number if you are interested.

Appreciate the offer Ben....unfortunately w my schedule there's almost no way I could even get over there w the unit. If it's a possibility tho, I'll PM you ahead of time in hopes that you're free and we might hookup.

I'm gonna conclude it's signal related due to my location and the location of my antenna.

I just tried an "FM trap" to no avail; only thing I *haven't* done is move the antenna outside.

For some odd reason, I've lost completely my CBS today (10-1 or 24)....absolutely no signal at all...anybody else have this problem?
post #386 of 1732 Old 11-16-2005, 01:18 PM

FYI:

Just got off the phone w Tampa Bay 10....they're doing maintenance work and will be down during the day today up until possibly 5:30pm. They will continue doing this work in the coming weeks which may lead to sporadic signal outages in the coming weeks.

They will only be doing the work during daylight hours and should have the signal restored each evening.
post #387 of 1732 Old 11-18-2005, 08:59 PM

Excuse me if some of this is clueless or disjointed - color me newbie.

We're almost ready to purchase our first HDTV, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to go for the Sony KD-36XS955. We watch mostly old programming, and will be with 4:3 for years to come, most likely.

We're in South Pinellas, can't get FIOS (yet), and quite possibly can't get an acceptable satellite setup. So that leaves Brighthouse.

We want DVR capability, and that means the SA8300, right? But I've read on this forum about how much better the picture quality can be with CableCard. And the 955 is CableCard-ready, although that wasn't really a factor in choosing it.

You lose HD record capability with CableCards, right? If we want both CableCard and DVR we would need to have the signal split and fed to each, correct?

How is Brighthouse around here about getting CableCards working?

I don't much mind the extra expense (although this whole deal of "getting a new TV" is turning out a good 5-10x more expensive than I thought it would be), but I want some opinions on whether having both a CableCard and DVR is a) possible, and b) worth fooling with.

Any comments from Pinellas CableCard users?
post #388 of 1732 Old 11-18-2005, 11:38 PM

1) Don't know why you can't get satellite. I sure can in Northern Pinellas.

2) You have Knology and Brighthouse as options in cable.

3) Brighthouse is compressing the OTA HDTV stations. Simply looking at them via a 8300HD and cablecard, you can see a major difference. Then go from cablecard to OTA and its another major step up.

4) From what I saw in Detroit this week, most likely Directv will have better OTA than Brighthouse for Channel 8, 10, 13 and 28 within 10 days.

5) Cable cards are not DVRs - so you would give that option up with a cable card - or you would need both.

6) Brighthouse would supply a splitter on install.

7) CableCards still have minor issues - but because of some detail record keeping between myself and several people at NOC in Brandon, we have isolated where the issues are coming from and they are looking to fix them.

8) The SA8300HD still have quirks as well and are not perfect, just like cablecards.
post #389 of 1732 Old 11-19-2005, 06:18 AM

Thanks much for the reply.

The satellite option may be problematic because it's a ground-floor apartment that faces North. While, unlike most apartments, we do have a patio area we control, I'm not sure there's a good place to put an antenna, nor that I would want to look at it. How do you find out if you can "see" the satellite or not?

As to Knology, don't they have to run their own wire? If so, "apartment" may be an issue again.

I really don't care much about the OTA HD stations. We very, very rarely watch any of them in SD.

A few more questions, if I may:

Will the CableCard make a difference in picture quality on regular channels? What about on non-OTA HD channels?

Am I "guaranteed" to get the 8300HD if I pay for HD DVR? In other words, is this the only HD DVR Brighthouse Pinellas uses?

If it is the 8300HD, do you know if the HDMI and SATA ports are active? The Sony has HDMI, but I don't want to buy the rather expensive cable if it's not going to work.
post #390 of 1732 Old 11-20-2005, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannet View Post

The satellite option may be problematic because it's a ground-floor apartment that faces North. While, unlike most apartments, we do have a patio area we control, I'm not sure there's a good place to put an antenna, nor that I would want to look at it. How do you find out if you can "see" the satellite or not?

A compass from a outdoor supplier and a protractor:

Saint Petersburg, FL
Latitude 27° 44.736'N Longitude 82° 45.096'W

Sat Name Sat Lng Az(t) Az(m) El Skew
-------------------------------------------------------------

*** All Satellites 61W - 160W ***

EchoStar 3 61.5W 140.1 144.6 50.0 -34.6 <<Dish Demo Channel/Sky Angel
Rainbow 1 61.5W 140.1 144.6 50.0 -34.6 << Dish Voom
Brasilsat A2 (incl. 5.8 deg) 63.0W 142.4 146.9 50.9 -32.7
Brasilsat B2 65.0W 145.5 150.0 52.1 -30.1
Brasilsat B1 70.0W 154.1 158.6 54.7 -22.8
Nahuel 1 71.8W 157.4 161.9 55.4 -19.9
AMC 6 72.0W 157.8 162.3 55.5 -19.5
Galaxy 12 74.0W 161.7 166.2 56.2 -16.1
SBS 6 74.0W 161.7 166.2 56.2 -16.1
GOES 12 75.0W 163.7 168.2 56.5 -14.4
AMC 5 79.0W 172.0 176.5 57.3 -7.1
DirecTV 3 81.8W 178.0 182.5 57.6 -1.8
Nimiq 2 82.0W 178.4 182.9 57.6 -1.4 <<<< BEV HD
Brasilsat B3 84.0W 182.7 187.2 57.6 2.4
XM Roll 85.0W 184.8 189.3 57.5 4.3
AMC 9 85.0W 184.8 189.3 57.5 4.3
AMC 3 87.0W 189.1 193.6 57.3 8.0
Galaxy 11 91.0W 197.3 201.8 56.3 15.3
Nimiq 1 91.0W 197.3 201.8 56.3 15.3 <<< BEV
Brasilsat B4 92.0W 199.3 203.8 56.0 17.0
Telstar 6 93.0W 201.2 205.7 55.7 18.7
Galaxy 8I (incl. 1.0 deg) 95.0W 205.0 209.5 54.9 22.0
Galaxy 3C 95.0W 205.0 209.5 54.9 22.0
Telstar 5 97.0W 208.6 213.1 54.0 25.1
Inmarsat 2 f2 (incl. 1.7 deg) 98.0W 210.4 214.9 53.5 26.6
Galaxy 4R 99.0W 212.0 216.6 52.9 28.0 <<<< Directv 99 Ka Position
DirecTV 2 100.8W 215.0 219.5 51.9 30.5
DirecTV 1R 100.8W 215.0 219.5 51.9 30.5
AMC 4 101.0W 215.3 219.8 51.8 30.8
DirecTV 1 101.0W 215.3 219.8 51.8 30.8 <<<<Directv 101 SAT A
AMSC 1 101.1W 215.5 220.0 51.8 30.9
DirecTV 4S 101.2W 215.6 220.1 51.7 31.0
AMC 1 103.0W 218.4 222.9 50.6 33.3 <<<< Directv 103 Ka position
Solidaridad 1 (incl. 2.8 deg) 103.5W 219.1 223.6 50.3 34.0
AMC 2 105.0W 221.3 225.8 49.3 35.7
G-Star 3 (incl. 11.5 deg) 105.0W 221.3 225.8 49.3 35.7
G-Star 1 (incl. 6.0 deg) 105.0W 221.3 225.8 49.3 35.7
MSAT 1 106.5W 223.4 227.9 48.3 37.4
Anik F1 107.3W 224.5 229.0 47.8 38.3 << Starchoice
Anik E1 109.2W 226.9 231.4 46.4 40.3
DirecTV 6 109.8W 227.6 232.2 46.0 40.8 <<< Directv SAT C
EchoStar 6 110.0W 227.9 232.4 45.8 41.0<<< Dish 110
EchoStar 8 110.0W 227.9 232.4 45.8 41.0
Anik E2R 111.1W 229.2 233.7 45.0 42.1 <<< Starchoice
Solidaridad 2 113.0W 231.4 235.9 43.6 43.8
Morelos 2 (incl. 4.4 deg) 114.9W 233.5 238.0 42.1 45.3
XM Rock 115.0W 233.6 238.1 42.0 45.4
SatMex 5 116.8W 235.4 239.9 40.6 46.8
Anik E2 118.7W 237.3 241.8 39.0 48.1
DirecTV 5 119.0W 237.6 242.1 38.8 48.3 <<< Directv Sat B
EchoStar 7 119.0W 237.6 242.1 38.8 48.3 <<< Dish 119
EchoStar 5 119.0W 237.6 242.1 38.8 48.3
EchoStar 9/Telstar 13 121.0W 239.4 243.9 37.1 49.6
Galaxy 10R 123.0W 241.2 245.7 35.4 50.8
Galaxy 5 125.0W 242.9 247.4 33.7 52.0
Galaxy 9 127.0W 244.5 249.0 32.0 53.0
Telstar 7 129.0W 246.0 250.5 30.2 53.9 <<< Dish 129 Position
Satcom C3 131.0W 247.4 251.9 28.5 54.8
Galaxy 1R 133.0W 248.8 253.3 26.7 55.6
Satcom C4 135.0W 250.2 254.7 24.9 56.4
GOES 10 135.5W 250.5 255.0 24.5 56.5
AMC 7 137.0W 251.5 256.0 23.1 57.0
AMC 8 139.0W 252.7 257.2 21.4 57.7
Inmarsat 2 f3 (incl. 1.9 deg) 142.0W 254.5 259.0 18.7 58.5
EchoStar 1 148.0W 257.9 262.4 13.3 59.9
EchoStar 2 148.0W 257.9 262.4 13.3 59.9 <<< Dish 148 - lots of luck
TDRS 9 (incl. 7.4 deg) 151.0W 259.5 264.0 10.6 60.5
TDRS 10 (incl. 6.2 deg) 151.0W 259.5 264.0 10.6 60.5
EchoStar 4 157.0W 262.5 267.0 5.2 61.3

Quote:

As to Knology, don't they have to run their own wire? If so, "apartment" may be an issue again.

Yes, they need their own drop.

Quote:

Will the CableCard make a difference in picture quality on regular channels? What about on non-OTA HD channels?

If you mean regular HD channels, yes. If you mean regular OTA HD channels, its still yes.

The pitcure with cablecard is cleaner than any other option I have seen from BHN. I have not spent time watching the Non-OTA SD channels so I can't tell you how different they are.

Quote:

Am I "guaranteed" to get the 8300HD if I pay for HD DVR? In other words, is this the only HD DVR Brighthouse Pinellas uses?

They used to have 8000s but they no longer use those.

Quote:

If it is the 8300HD, do you know if the HDMI and SATA ports are active? The Sony has HDMI, but I don't want to buy the rather expensive cable if it's not going to work.

HDMI and SATA ports are active. I use it with mine.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page