post #451 of 1725 Old 12-28-2005, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by f0gax View Post

So... now that the little tiff is over...

Any word on 13.1?

For the last two weeks I've stopped my Bucs recording after the first few minutes and just watched/recorded in SD (HR10-250). The playoffs are approaching and I'd hate to have to watch that in SD too.

The 13-1 Atlanta v. Bucs game was bad early, but ok in the second half as I recall. I also use a HR10-250. I still don't think it is entirely resolved, but it was clearly better in the second half.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1725 Old 12-28-2005, 08:14 AM

Little tiff? Thanks newbie, but I dont think it was a little tiff. I am sorry you could not watch your precious game in HD.
Back to the real world. BHN now guarantees appts. Atleast that is what they say on the commercials. It turns out all the guarantee is, is if they miss it, you get a $20 credit towards your account. I am installed, but it was a bad install. Nobody knows how to do anything with cablecard, and the upstairs install has a coaxial running through my movie theater since the guy did not bring enough cable. I think I might leave and go back to D*, but the principle of them not informing me that the HDTIVO will not work was the part that bothered me. Then they would not install my loft movie theater unless I paid for the install myself. So BHN made the most sense, until I missed three days of work waiting for them.

Can you have too many gadgets?
post #453 of 1725 Old 12-28-2005, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshesi View Post

Little tiff? Thanks newbie, but I dont think it was a little tiff. I am sorry you could not watch your precious game in HD.
Back to the real world. ...

Sorry that you had trouble with your Bighthouse install.

This thread is about the Tampa local HDTV scene, not just brighthouse. There is nothing wrong with a new poster asking questions about OTA tampa reception in this thread.

Having also read the previous posts, the man who has the power to give you satisfaction has already sent you a PM, so I could see where the new guy thought it was resolved.

Your situation sucks and I can show empathy for you, but please don't jump on the newbies.
post #454 of 1725 Old 12-28-2005, 08:38 AM

It wasnt meant to jump on them, but rather than say, the tiff is over, a person CAN just ask a question rather than trivialize another matter.

post #455 of 1725 Old 12-28-2005, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Fair enough...then again the "newbie" has been lurking since feb 2005. He has probably seen similar posts describing every service providers installation practices, as they all offer gererally poor service. Good luck and I hope it gets resolved!
post #456 of 1725 Old 12-28-2005, 12:58 PM

looking to pick your brains for some ideas. i've been trying to pull in 8-1 at my parents house in venice for at least a year and can't. i'm using a antennas direct v-21 vhf/uhf yagi, a dishnetwork 921 and a cm 7777 pre-amp.

all other riverview stations come in strong and solid including 38-1. what has me baffled is i'm using the exact same equipment 30 miles further south in port charlotte and i get 8-1 solid? and i installed the same antenna at a friends house in south venice about halfway between my house and my parents and can get 8-1
with a voom receiver and no pre-amp? all 3 locations are pulling in ft. myers off the
back of the antenna solid.
is anyone else on the same tower as 8-1? if so i'll try to peak them. any ideas?
post #457 of 1725 Old 12-28-2005, 05:42 PM

Quote:

Back to the real world. BHN now guarantees appts. Atleast that is what they say on the commercials. It turns out all the guarantee is, is if they miss it, you get a $20 credit towards your account. I am installed, but it was a bad install. Nobody knows how to do anything with cablecard, and the upstairs install has a coaxial running through my movie theater since the guy did not bring enough cable. I think I might leave and go back to D*, but the principle of them not informing me that the HDTIVO will not work was the part that bothered me. Then they would not install my loft movie theater unless I paid for the install myself. So BHN made the most sense, until I missed three days of work waiting for them.

Time Out.

I think the tiff comment and more about 13.1 was talking about the tiff between some elitest of some lame website and myself - so don't get in an uproar.

A copy of this thread was sent to the top people at Brighthouse overnight and judging by the response above from this morning, people there were not happy and wanted some answers.

I have built a tolerable relationship with BHN over the past 2 years and don't agree with everything - but I have complaints with Dish and Directv as well - not to mention other satellite services.

Now, you have their attention. Get the install you want. If you aren't happy then you can move on. But at least they are listening to you.
post #458 of 1725 Old 12-28-2005, 06:16 PM

Quote:

So... now that the little tiff is over...

Any word on 13.1?

For the last two weeks I've stopped my Bucs recording after the first few minutes and just watched/recorded in SD (HR10-250). The playoffs are approaching and I'd hate to have to watch that in SD too.

They thought they had the problem narrowed down to their STL (Studio Transmitter Link) between the studio on Kennedy and the Transmitter in Riverview.

If you have the any recordings of the entire stream during the problem and examine it, you will see that it was throwing PIDs everywhere. All these were errors. And you had literally hundreds if not thousands of PIDs a minute.

This was causing some devices to lock up. The MyHD cards were one of these items if you left them on Ch 13.1 (12.1) overnight and during the day. It was so bad it would lock up your entire computer and require a hard power disconnect.

I knew that as of last Friday night they were not throwing out all those erroneous PIDS each second.

Their VP of Engineering left for vacation last Friday until 1/3/2006 and obviously thought they had it corrected for the most part or I am sure he would not have left.

I flipped on the game very briefly (60 seconds) around 3:30pm and did not see a problem at that time.

I do however know that there is still an error occurring every few hours as I have had the MyHD card and computer lock up every day at random times on Channel 13. Thus something is still intermittent - although you as you can probably guess - intermittent problems are the most difficult to find.

If the problems are still there, document the time and what kind of frequency and I will make sure they get the info. I'll probably go back and watch Stacked and see if I see anything out of place
post #459 of 1725 Old 12-29-2005, 02:10 AM

Quote:

Back to the real world. BHN now guarantees appts. ...

Hey fella. I wasn't talking about you. Reading comprehension? This thread didn't start with your BHN rant. I came here looking for info about 13.1 and the recent problems. I saw some messages about it, then there was a "fight" between two posters, and then your post. I did NOT in fact read anything about your problem. So I have no idea what it is you are complaining about. And I still don't know, because I don't care. So, sorry you had trouble with BHN. That's why I'm on DirecTV myself.
post #460 of 1725 Old 12-29-2005, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic View Post

They thought they had the problem narrowed down to their STL (Studio Transmitter Link) between the studio on Kennedy and the Transmitter in Riverview.

If you have the any recordings of the entire stream during the problem and examine it, you will see that it was throwing PIDs everywhere. All these were errors. And you had literally hundreds if not thousands of PIDs a minute.

This was causing some devices to lock up. The MyHD cards were one of these items if you left them on Ch 13.1 (12.1) overnight and during the day. It was so bad it would lock up your entire computer and require a hard power disconnect.

I knew that as of last Friday night they were not throwing out all those erroneous PIDS each second.

Their VP of Engineering left for vacation last Friday until 1/3/2006 and obviously thought they had it corrected for the most part or I am sure he would not have left.

I flipped on the game very briefly (60 seconds) around 3:30pm and did not see a problem at that time.

I do however know that there is still an error occurring every few hours as I have had the MyHD card and computer lock up every day at random times on Channel 13. Thus something is still intermittent - although you as you can probably guess - intermittent problems are the most difficult to find.

If the problems are still there, document the time and what kind of frequency and I will make sure they get the info. I'll probably go back and watch Stacked and see if I see anything out of place

Thanks for the info and for being civil.
post #461 of 1725 Old 12-29-2005, 08:06 AM

I have been in conversation with a couple of managers there. We will see how it is handled. One manager when he heard the whole story could not believe what he was hearing. 9 times did they not show up. All within a 3 day period.

post #462 of 1725 Old 12-29-2005, 09:01 AM

Quote:

Thanks for .....being civil.

I must be getting sick or not feeling right

Quote:

I have been in conversation with a couple of managers there. We will see how it is handled. One manager when he heard the whole story could not believe what he was hearing. 9 times did they not show up. All within a 3 day period.

Remember, if everything goes right, everyone is happy. But in the real world crap happens. What really seperates the good from the bad is how it is handled when the bad stuff happens. The bad companies just don't care and have lousy follow through. It will be interesting to see how your experience turns out.

Considering that they first saw the email with the threads when they arrived at work and you had a response from Greg the same morning shows upper management is taking this seriously and I do give them points for that.

At least the right people have now seen it which most likely would not have happened without avsforums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmclaughlin View Post

That tale of installation woe is the most disturbing I've heard in a long time, and I think it irritates me as much as it does you. Why? Because those guys work for me, and I'm going to find out how and why this happened.

http://tbtf.org/page.cfm?link=gregmclaughlin

"Greg McLaughlin is the Assistant General Manager of Bright House Networks' Hillsborough County Operation, based in Brandon, FL. In this capacity, he is responsible for daily operations in the delivery of video, advanced broadband and digital phone services to the more than 500,000 residents of Hillsborough County, Florida"
post #463 of 1725 Old 12-29-2005, 10:36 PM

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post6810882

Sinclair makes deal with Verizon
Ryan Sharrow
Staff

Baltimore-based Sinclair Broadcast Group has reached a multi-year affiliation with Verizon Services Corp., to provide cable service for Sinclair owned and operated television stations in the Baltimore and Tampa Fla., markets.

Sinclair's two Baltimore stations, WBFF Fox 45 and WNUV WB 54, are among those affected.

Baltimore and Tampa will also serve as the first Sinclair markets to use Verizon's FIOS-TV service. The service will compete with cable and satellite providers of television programming.

According to Verizon's Web site, FIOS will provide a 100 percent fiber optic network with an on-demand library, HDTV channels, DVR, premium and international channels, much like Comcast's digital cable service.

Sinclair hopes to enter into similar agreements for its other stations as FIOS-TV expands its footprint into other Sinclair markets, Sinclair General Counsel Barry Ferber said in a statement.

Sinclair's television group stretches to roughly 22 percent of U.S. television households and includes ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, WB and UPN affiliates.
post #464 of 1725 Old 12-31-2005, 03:46 AM

a
post #465 of 1725 Old 12-31-2005, 04:48 AM

An update is after speaking with some of the upper mgt, I have agreed to let them come back out on the 3rd to finish the install that they did not do right to begin with. IE a cable card that still does not work, coaxial runs, not nearly long enough, and to finally hook up the phone. I agree with the poster that said, upper management is handling this and doing it well so far. However the problem is getting to uppermanagement. I dont care about any company, if someone missed three days of work, and the company missed 7 appts, those things should not happen. And should be addressed rather than here is a credit for the month where things are going wrong, and "since you are dealing with management now, I promise these things wont happen again." I understand that dealing with higher ups helps, but they are basically making me the same guarantee that the CSR's are making. I hope it is different, I seriously do. Maybe I will see some of them at CES and make some friends, you never know.

post #466 of 1725 Old 01-01-2006, 03:16 AM

I'm in a totally different direction from you.
post #467 of 1725 Old 01-01-2006, 04:13 AM

8.1 (really 7.1) is a bitch to get and it's trial and error. It's so low on the "High" VHF band that it just very difficult.

I am finding that the MyHD 130 with the newer tuner actually does WORSE with WFLA-DT than the older MyHD 120 in my location out on the beach.

If there is any news happening they will cut in or run crawls over the down rezed HD.

Between the difficultly receiving, their constant crawls, the lack of quality HD and their low bitrate (not to mention their lack of any real HD Programming that has ratings during Prime Time), I've have found myself almost to the point of not punching them in any longer - only to be disappointed.

I go to out of market NBC stations first for better quality HD.

If you really want them, you can only keep trying different antennas, amps and tuner combinations because 7.1 is difficult.
post #468 of 1725 Old 01-01-2006, 05:12 AM

It isn't a big deal if I can't get it as I'm picking up 20.1(15.1) NBC Fort Myers off the
back. I'm more curious in a technical sense as to why I had no problem locking them in solid at my house 30 miles further south. My parents think that I'm nuts
going up and down their roof the past year trying to get one station that they get anyway with their Dish local package and the same prime time programming from Ft. Myers on 20.1?
post #469 of 1725 Old 01-01-2006, 10:27 AM

Channel 8 makes money on News - they don't on HD.

Thus they will drop out of HD in a heartbeat to solidify their news image.

Quite honestly, the Ft. Myers station will most likely have much better looking quality on the HD without all the Channel 8 HD errors, low bitrates and news crawl interuptions.
post #470 of 1725 Old 01-09-2006, 05:43 PM

IS THERE SOME WHERE TO GET A WEEKLY SCHEDULE OF hd PROGRAMING FOR THE TAMPA AREA
post #471 of 1725 Old 01-11-2006, 11:46 PM

Anyone else seeing these signal drops on Channel 28 DT? Mostly during commercial breaks? Been happening 2-3 days.

8.1 and 28.1 were off air around 12:30am this morning for 2 hours. Will find out what that was about today.

Edit:

Tower work at top of the tower. Both had to go down for RF radiation standards.

They both have the backup sites for analog but not for Digital.
post #472 of 1725 Old 01-12-2006, 06:03 PM

Just when you think WFLA cannot screw it up any worse, they prove they can.

No center audio on premiere of Four Kings after major network promotion for 4 weeks. Nothing but music and applause - except for commercials.

Hands down pathetic - no attention to detail.
post #473 of 1725 Old 01-13-2006, 06:39 AM

Hey, everybody. I've been lurking here for a while but haven't posted before. I was wondering if anyone the the Tampa area has gotten the new AT9 dish installed. Since I live in Sebring OTA is hit or miss, CBS is miss all the time. I am supposed to have the new dish and H20 receiver installed tomorrow. I'll post how it goes.
post #474 of 1725 Old 01-15-2006, 11:42 AM

Anyone in the Valrico/Brandon area able to bring in channel 10 CBS OTA, I just got a LG 3510A tuner and can bring in all the local HDTV channels with the terk tv5 indoor antenna but cant get any signal for CBS.
post #475 of 1725 Old 01-15-2006, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
My friend has his AT9 dish installed. He likes it but hasn't made many comments on the PQ.
D* has been out twice to do my install and they never bring everything they need. They resheduled for next month hopefully they will remember to bring everything they need.

Ben
How good could it be if it isn't HD?
Engadget HD
post #476 of 1725 Old 01-15-2006, 06:33 PM

Any word on BHN getting MTV HD which is suppose to launch 1/16/06?
post #477 of 1725 Old 01-16-2006, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw View Post

My friend has his AT9 dish installed. He likes it but hasn't made many comments on the PQ.
D* has been out twice to do my install and they never bring everything they need. They resheduled for next month hopefully they will remember to bring everything they need.

Next Month??????

What else do you need besides the AT-9, a H20 and a meter?
post #478 of 1725 Old 01-22-2006, 08:11 AM

BHN INSTALL - Nightmare for cable TV install and phone service!

I've called BHN about 10 times prior to date.
I visited BHN office in Bradenton on SR-64 (Bradenton).
I selected the HD cable box I wanted (DVI, no HDMI, several inputs).
I selected install times (after 3 p.m. teacher here so I work)
I called to verify my equipment & install time on Tues. January 17. Everything OK.

Did install go smoothly after all the proactive steps? You decide.

Thursday (install date):
BHN called about 1 p.m. to install. (message given to BHN "I'm home by 3 p.m.)
I'm home at 3:15 p.m.
Phone service w/Verizon shut down for BHN phone service (people can not call in).
I'm a quadriplegic (paralyzed chest down) & if emergency occurs there is BIG trouble.
I called BHN.
Customer Service on phone helpful but asked why did I make a 12 - 4 p.m. install time. I didn't.

I'm told install will occur today. If BHN not here by 6 p.m. I should call.
6 p.m. I call. (I'm receiving email that my phone is not working.)
BHN rep said they will be here tonight.

7:15 p.m. on install day:
BHN arrives
BHN can only install phone service due to late hour.
BHN installer decent person & stated he'd return the next day to install cable TV (after 3!)

Day 1 after install date:
BHN appears just after 4 p.m. This is good.
Disconnected satellite service, had a few glitches but that's OK.
Cable box: PACE cable box with HDMI!!! (I ordered DVI!)
All my cables are DVI. TV is DVI. DVD player is DVI. I bought additional DVI cables.

BHN installer said this is the new box. I was at their office 3 weeks earlier.
BHN installer on phone. I hear that HDMI is better than DVI.
I state "That's an opinion." and I mention that my cables & equip. are DVI.
I have optical cables for audio.
I print a copy of the Pace DC550HD. (It has DVI.)

BHN installer can not get behind my HDTV. (Awkward setting needing 2 people to get behind plus install cable.) Installer stated he'd call on Saturday around 11 a.m. to give me time that he could return with another person to finish the install.

I agree.

Day 2 after installation date:
Waiting for phone call.
I waited until 1:30 p.m. because I received no call.
BHN customer service was requested by me to read back the equip. I ordered.
BHN read about Pace DC550HD with DVI.
BHN rep was respectable. She stated that she'd make an app't for 2 installers to come here
AND to bring a DVI HD box.

When? NEXT SATURDAY!!!! Only 9 days after installation.

What can I do to finish this install properly?

Stan
post #479 of 1725 Old 01-22-2006, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry about your problems Stan, that really sucks. Here are a couple of observations that maybe others can benefit from:

1: Don't rely upon installations to occur at a set time. My personal experience and reading posts of others has been that they are very rarely on time.

2: If you are replacing a service, don't discontinue the previous service until the new one is up and running. This is especially true with phone service where you could have a life safety issue.

3: HDMI and DVI are compatable, a $20 dollar adapter can be used to carry HDMI video over a DVI cable. Obviously, since Stan told them he needed DVI, they should have at least arrived with the adapter. It is probably likely that they don't have many DVI boxes in service, and even more likely that they will not receive any new ones as everything new is constructed with the HDMI interface.

I really hope they make things right.

Beat Regards,

Mike
post #480 of 1725 Old 01-22-2006, 10:48 PM

Not good at all.

I am not beginning to make excuses for most of this, but be aware, under US Code, all STBs sold to a MSO after 6/30/2005 for HD MUST HAVE HDMI and IEEE1394 ports. Now I will also tell you that BHN is in violation of the US Code as the IEEE 1394 Ports on the SA8300HD are not working, but they claim they are working on the situation. That said......

As HDMI is the same as DVI with audio added, I am not aware of any STB that has DVI and HDMI any longer. It's simple redundant and adds to the cost.

If they can find you an older DVI box they had in stock, that would be nice, but you are essentially requesting and original bumper for a 1909 Model T at this point.

The $20 adapter to convert a HDMI to DVI might be your only choice.

The other stuff is totally unacceptable, however I still don't understand why people turn off one service before another is active.

I feel pretty confident that BHN reps will see your comments and make things right.

Hope everything turns around this week.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page