Tampa, FL - HDTV - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1722 Old 07-20-2006, 06:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would like to know what comcast charges in different parts of the area S/W Florida for there hdtv services. All I wanted was the direct network feeds which they gave me for 5.00 a month( Sarasota). After I set it up I realized I didn't have the DVR service with the box (SA 8300hd). I called them up to add this and they wanted 19.95 more a month which they told me would give all these other channels that I do not want. They said I'm sorry if you want the DVR capabilies it will cost you 24.95 total per month. Is this what they are charging in other areas of the region? Can I just buy a dvr and hook it up. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1722 Old 07-20-2006, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey guys, sorta OT. Does anyone have a Russound dealer they recommend in the area? I was tossing around the idea of getting a multi-zone audio system installed and wanted to talk to someone.

THanks!
Aaron in St. Pete
post #633 of 1722 Old 07-20-2006, 08:57 AM

Liked: 17
jskimerer, I was in the same boat with Comcast. The reason it's 24.95 is because the DVR SA8300 is a digital cable box at the same time. Digital cable is 19.95 + 5 for the DVR. This incldes the misc. HD programming on the upper channels.

Don't discount the other HD channels you don't want. Discovery HD as well a INHD are really good. If you can wing it, treat yourself!
post #634 of 1722 Old 07-20-2006, 03:26 PM

I had Comcast HD until last fall. The HD picture was very good, but their HD DVR was marginal (80g hard drive for one thing). I get basic Comcast included in my condo fees. It cost me about $28 more to get HD and their HD DVR. I now have two Sony HDD DHG 500's(each have 500Gig hard drives) with QAM tuners and get local HD channels free.
post #635 of 1722 Old 07-21-2006, 11:48 AM

Liked: 17
Stingray1 - Your condo has free basic Comcast! That's cool. So you get the local channels but none of the Cable HD channels? Are you thinking of getting the Comcast HD again when the channel selection improves?
post #636 of 1722 Old 07-21-2006, 03:43 PM

I live in St. Petersburg... have BrightHouse Cable... and want the NFL channel.

I have called BrightHouse and requested the NFL channel, but they continuously say that is is a DirectTV channel only. How can this be?

I have read that the NFL channel is going to start showing NFL games that aren't on local channels. How are we to see them?

Does anyone know the scoop on Brighthouse cable and the NFL channel?
post #637 of 1722 Old 07-21-2006, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBeach View Post

I have called BrightHouse and requested the NFL channel, but they continuously say that is is a DirectTV channel only. How can this be?

I have read that the NFL channel is going to start showing NFL games that aren't on local channels. How are we to see them?

I don't have any scoop as to Brighthouse, but the NFL channel is offered on Dish Network.

Ron
post #638 of 1722 Old 07-21-2006, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelkingdom View Post

Stingray1 - Your condo has free basic Comcast! That's cool. So you get the local channels but none of the Cable HD channels? Are you thinking of getting the Comcast HD again when the channel selection improves?

It's free but I pay indirectly in my condo fees.

I also get D* HD for NFL sunday ticket so I get some of the national HD channels from D*(I don't have Mpeg4 so don't get locals in HD from D*). Pretty much all but INHD1 & 2. I'm hoping my condo will switch to Verizon FiosTV when/if it becomes available here. It is in my county already but not where I live. If that happened I could upgrade to movies & sports and get all the movie channels including HD except HBO & Cinemax plus a lot of sports channels including NFL HD for about $15/mo extra(not much more than a single movie channel would cost on D* or Comcast). That would also save me on high speed internet. I'd still need D* for Sunday ticket however.
post #639 of 1722 Old 07-21-2006, 09:24 PM

Quote:

Comcast, Sarasota, also has the NFL channel but not in HD.
post #640 of 1722 Old 07-22-2006, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelkingdom View Post

jskimerer, I was in the same boat with Comcast. The reason it's 24.95 is because the DVR SA8300 is a digital cable box at the same time. Digital cable is 19.95 + 5 for the DVR. This incldes the misc. HD programming on the upper channels.

Don't discount the other HD channels you don't want. Discovery HD as well a INHD are really good. If you can wing it, treat yourself!

Comcast uses Scientific Atlanta equipment in Sarasota????
post #641 of 1722 Old 07-22-2006, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic View Post

Comcast uses Scientific Atlanta equipment in Sarasota????

Yes.
post #642 of 1722 Old 07-24-2006, 05:37 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone been having issues with WFLA during live HD broadcasts? The Busch race a couple of days ago was really bad and the NHL finals had issues. Typically, it seems like bottom half of the picture will pixalate every so often. I'm watching on Brighthouse in Brandon via HD DVR. I thought it was whenever a commercial on the weather subchannel played I would see the problem, but the folks at WFLA said this is not the case.
post #643 of 1722 Old 07-24-2006, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I get the same problem on Brighthouse...I haven't checked OTA because of signal strength for that channel. I don't just get the pixilation for live broadcasts but also other shows.
post #644 of 1722 Old 07-24-2006, 11:46 AM

Quote:

It is on verizon fios in Tampa. Don't know if fios is available to you. Espn2 is also available in HD and Espn U on SD. That's the main reason I'm on fios.
post #645 of 1722 Old 07-24-2006, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_Gator View Post

It is on verizon fios in Tampa. Don't know if fios is available to you. Espn2 is also available in HD and Espn U on SD. That's the main reason I'm on fios.

I've never heard of fios. I'll try to see if it's offered in St. Petersburg. Thanks.
post #646 of 1722 Old 07-24-2006, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn12341234 View Post

Has anyone been having issues with WFLA during live HD broadcasts? The Busch race a couple of days ago was really bad and the NHL finals had issues. Typically, it seems like bottom half of the picture will pixalate every so often. I'm watching on Brighthouse in Brandon via HD DVR. I thought it was whenever a commercial on the weather subchannel played I would see the problem, but the folks at WFLA said this is not the case.

Shawn12341234

I saw this for the last 2 days on WFLA (Have not looked today), most recently last night when I scanned past the Miss Universe Pageant.

I went to OTA and verified it was happening OTA as well as on Brighthouse.

I then checked the NBC stations out of Atlanta, New York, Boston and Detroit to verify it was not in the feed (with NBC you never know with their crappy Ku band distribution) - it wasn't the feed.

It's a problem @ WFLA and if they don't want see it, that's typical of so many issues with WFLA with HDTV.

It's a sad state when WTSP and WFLA constantly vie for title of who's the worst with HD in Tampabay.

JBeach

Fios is not available in Pinellas County right now. Verizon sold what is now Knology and had a non-compete until this year - so they have not been able to build in Pinellas until the non-compete is over.
post #647 of 1722 Old 07-25-2006, 11:19 AM

Quote:

Fios is not available in Pinellas County right now. Verizon sold what is now Knology and had a non-compete until this year - so they have not been able to build in Pinellas until the non-compete is over.

Thanks for the information. I didn't realize FiOS was Verizon Fiber.

Maybe that's why Brighthouse has stopped adding HD channels. Maybe they're waiting to make a big splash with new channels around the time FiOS is offered in St. Petersburg.

I wonder when they will start offering FiOS in St. Petersburg?
post #648 of 1722 Old 07-25-2006, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by himey View Post

I get the same problem on Brighthouse...I haven't checked OTA because of signal strength for that channel. I don't just get the pixilation for live broadcasts but also other shows.

I have only recently watched NASCAR and NHL on WFLA. I'm scared that this problem will exist once footbal season starts.
post #649 of 1722 Old 07-25-2006, 09:57 PM

Quote:

I have only recently watched NASCAR and NHL on WFLA. I'm scared that this problem will exist once footbal season starts.

Just wait til we start having Tropical Storms and WFLA will drop out of HD to run Newscrawlers and the like every chance they get.

Between that and their other HD screwups, you'll learn to hate them fast.

They ran for 3-4 weeks with no center channel dialouge - only music and sound effects - and no one noticed until I couldn't take it any longer and finally called.

They will often forget to go to HD - The Season Finale of Scrubs was in HDTV everywhere - except Tampa.

They are really asleep at the wheel and the fact that they could not see this problem over the past weekend is really scary. I am just happy I have a ton of other choices for NBC HD that I don't have to worry about their BS.
post #650 of 1722 Old 07-26-2006, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

"...I am just happy I have a ton of other choices for NBC HD that I don't have to worry about their BS."

Sure, rub it in!
post #651 of 1722 Old 07-27-2006, 01:17 AM

Saw it again tonight punching past a show that they were upconverting (America's Got Talent or some such BS). Amazing that I can spot it channel surfing and they cannot see it looking for it.

FWIW, I watched about 10 minutes of Law and Order and did not see it. Thus the several times I have seen it have all been during upconverted SD Network Programming - not true HD Programming. I have even looked for it when they go to the local upconverted commercial breaks, but have not seen it in that. Granted, I spend very little time on WFLA these days, but it appears to me to only be happening when they are upconverting the SD Network Feed.
post #652 of 1722 Old 07-27-2006, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechoFobe View Post

Sure, rub it in!

The funniest thing is everytime I go to Weather Plus on 8.2 its always showing the Orlando 5 day forecast. I finally left it on for 10 minutes to see if it would ever show something local (it did). Why even bother with an Orlando Forecast. But then again, they are news and weather geniuses....so what do I know.
post #653 of 1722 Old 07-27-2006, 09:09 AM

"The funniest thing is everytime I go to Weather Plus on 8.2 its always showing the Orlando 5 day forecast. "

So are the channel descriptions for 8-2 and 8-3 reversed on your set? When they moved the weather radar from 8-3 to 8-2 they forgot to change the channel info on their data stream. In addition, the description still says "weather radar" when it should say "Weather Plus", at least on my system/Directv HD tivo/off-air.
post #654 of 1722 Old 07-28-2006, 03:55 AM
Advanced Member

Just for fun I put WFLA on and the weather plus channel on in PIP and tried to find a correlation when I was watching the NHL finals. I found everytime they showed a commerial or had real person talking about the weather it would cause breakups on 8.1 on the bottom part of the image. I was not seeing the breakups when they were just showing empty radar maps. Their engineering told me it is not a multicasting bandwidth issue and that they had something like 16 mbs allocated to 8.1. Does anyone have a way to measure the bit rate at the point breakups in the picture occur so we can verify this? We also need to a measure the bit rate on any subchannels they are broadcasting. They used to have 2 subchannels...last time I checked there appeared to be nothing on the other subchannel, but they could be sending something we can't see on it.
post #655 of 1722 Old 07-28-2006, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydJ View Post

"The funniest thing is everytime I go to Weather Plus on 8.2 its always showing the Orlando 5 day forecast. "

So are the channel descriptions for 8-2 and 8-3 reversed on your set? When they moved the weather radar from 8-3 to 8-2 they forgot to change the channel info on their data stream. In addition, the description still says "weather radar" when it should say "Weather Plus", at least on my system/Directv HD tivo/off-air.

I can only assume your set has some type of memory that has it left over from last January. It's clearly on 8-2 here. If you rescan it the channels, it will probably show up properly.

I do know that everytime they adjusted their ATSC stream layout (Simulcast of Houston TV station last Fall for Hurricane, removing subchannels for Olympics and putting up WeatherPlus after the Olympics) my TV and MyHD cards required me to delete out the WFLA info and rescan as they would not operate properly.

Perhaps yours has a tuner that was able to adjust on the fly - but it is on 8.2.

Now, if you want to say the WUSF is ILLEGAL by showing up as 34.3, 34.4, 34.5 and 34.6, instead of 16.x, I will agree with you there.

Considering that one station has already been fined in Tampa for doing that, I am somewhat surprised WUSF is so screwed up.
post #656 of 1722 Old 07-29-2006, 11:47 PM

Quote:

I can only assume your set has some type of memory that has it left over from last January. It's clearly on 8-2 here. If you rescan it the channels, it will probably show up properly.

INow, if you want to say the WUSF is ILLEGAL by showing up as 34.3, 34.4, 34.5 and 34.6, instead of 16.x, I will agree with you there.

Considering that one station has already been fined in Tampa for doing that, I am somewhat surprised WUSF is so screwed up.

WUSF-16 comes in on 16-1,2,3,4 on my guide, though the video signal is not present since my antenna is ghosting.
I have a "new" DirecTV HD-tivo that I installed a couple of weeks ago, and it has the same mixed up channel(8-2 and 8-3 are reversed) info. I get Weather Plus on 8-2, but the guide and channel banner identify 8-2 as "WFLADT2--Saturday Night Live" and SNL is on 8-3 while that banner/guide shows the "Weather radar" is on that channel.
I just did a rescan using the 90210 zip which brought up all the LA stations on the guide, and then another rescan with my tampa zip and got all the tampa channels back, but the guide is still reversed for 8-2 and 8-3.
post #657 of 1722 Old 07-30-2006, 05:09 AM
Advanced Member

Can anyone compare the Bright HD DVR that I have now with the one I would get if I switched to directv? i'm concerned about my ability to record PBS HD.
post #658 of 1722 Old 07-30-2006, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Can anyone compare the Bright HD DVR that I have now with the one I would get if I switched to directv? i'm concerned about my ability to record PBS HD.

For some, unknown reason, D* doesn't offer a DVR for Mpeg-4 reception yet... A DVR was supposed to be available but D* must be having "technical" difficulties.

So at this point, by default, your Brighthouse HD-DVR works MUCH better.
post #659 of 1722 Old 07-30-2006, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydJ View Post

WUSF-16 comes in on 16-1,2,3,4 on my guide, though the video signal is not present since my antenna is ghosting.
I have a "new" DirecTV HD-tivo that I installed a couple of weeks ago, and it has the same mixed up channel(8-2 and 8-3 are reversed) info. I get Weather Plus on 8-2, but the guide and channel banner identify 8-2 as "WFLADT2--Saturday Night Live" and SNL is on 8-3 while that banner/guide shows the "Weather radar" is on that channel.
I just did a rescan using the 90210 zip which brought up all the LA stations on the guide, and then another rescan with my tampa zip and got all the tampa channels back, but the guide is still reversed for 8-2 and 8-3.

I am not talking about guides. If you are talking about Directv or something, that is a guide issue - not what is actually happening in the broadcast.

I am talking about actual over the air info in their datastream that OTA tuners use.

WFLA HD is at 8.1 and WFLA WX is at 8.2 as shown here in their OTA info stream.

post #660 of 1722 Old 07-31-2006, 04:26 AM
Advanced Member

HDTVFanAtic, can you capture this same info when 8.1 has a breakup in the bottom part of the image? I recorded one with my DVR and was watching it in slow motion and I think I see one frame of with a solid bar black in the bottom quarter of the screen right before I see the image pixilated in that same area. I'm not sure if that is just a DVR problem or the actual problem with their picture. My DVR won't let me truly step frame by frame. The area is in the location where a large weather crawl might go. If this is really happening than I think it could explain the breakups. Thanks.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page