Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 1732 Old 06-05-2007, 12:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechoFobe View Post

What's up with channel 10-HD on DirecTV? Has said "Sorry..." for the last two days. It would be "nice" to get it. Anyone know why they are so sorry?

Mine says:

No need to call us -

Your station is working to restore their signal as soon as possible
This TV station is having technical difficulties

I am receiving the analog Ch 10 tho. I scanned it on my tv tuners and they wouldnt pick it up either So its definitely coming from the station.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1732 Old 06-05-2007, 05:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjaym View Post

Mine says:

No need to call us -

Your station is working to restore their signal as soon as possible
This TV station is having technical difficulties

I am receiving the analog Ch 10 tho. I scanned it on my tv tuners and they wouldnt pick it up either So its definitely coming from the station.

Yep. That's what mine says too actually...

So, what gives? Did Channel 10-HD blow a fuse? Did someone fall asleep at the switch? Did they forget to pay their power bill? Or, what?

Since there is "no need to call us" --- what do we do? Just do without until they correct their "technical difficulties"? At least they are "working to restore their signal as soon as possible". Most unimpressive!

What fun... Select a "Now Playing" recording on Channel 10 and watch an hour long display of "No need to call us". I already know how the program will end... This puts a whole new meaning on Re-Runs.

Does anyone know what's up with this? I noticed it a few days ago... I'd say it's more than just a difficulty, more like a complete failure? Of course, as you correctly pointed out, their analog signal is working. So, it's just us HD customers who are affected... Let's see, I pay extra to get HD but...

So much for the old "The Show Must Go On". Perhaps the difficulties will be corrected by this fall?

post #1263 of 1732 Old 06-05-2007, 11:09 AM

Cable is in the ground here in Dunedin 34698. We are waiting for FiOS availability. Cable installers said it would be available in weeks. However, report in The Tampa Trib in early May indicates it could be fall before contracts with municipalities give the official go-ahead. So it is a matter of time. Best way to know is to grab the agenda from your local municipalities meetings and see when they are bringing FiOS contracts to the table. It will be in a public meeting. You can also call your mayor/commissioners once a week to find out if the item is agenda-ed yet. I would do that. Faster, and it makes them earn their money....

Here is a snippet from the May 11 Trib article:

"Verizon's project in Pinellas will expand quickly, Verizon spokesman Bob Elek said.

In the first eight months, Verizon told county officials to expect about 300 miles of trench digging to serve 5,000 households, starting at the northern-most portion of Pinellas: in Tarpon Springs, Dunedin and Countryside. Verizon chose that area because it is already building a fiber-optic network in Pasco County that stretches south across the border into Pinellas.

Plans are still in development, but the peak of construction could come in August. Work will last several years, with hundreds of workers digging trenches for fiber-optic lines.

Generally, residents can expect that once Verizon installs the orange conduits, the company could start offering cable TV service in 120 to 180 days. However, that schedule can vary widely because Verizon needs permission from local governments to sell cable TV service. Authorization has taken a year or more in some cities. "
post #1264 of 1732 Old 06-05-2007, 11:12 AM

Who can give a good suggestion on finding an antenna installer who can put up a stable, secure, high-wind-resistant (get the picture) OTA antenna in ZIP Code 34698 (Dunedin)? We are willing to pay a quality installer who will warrant and maintain his work. Waiting for FiOS and tired of the indoor antenna adjustments...... TIA
post #1265 of 1732 Old 06-05-2007, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longleaf View Post

(excerpted) "Generally, residents can expect that once Verizon installs the orange conduits, the company could start offering cable TV service in 120 to 180 days. However, that schedule can vary widely because Verizon needs permission from local governments to sell cable TV service. Authorization has taken a year or more in some cities. "

The quoted article is out of date.

Verizon needs local municipality permits for right-of-way construction and there are a few other small details to be worked out, but "permission from local governments to sell cable TV service" is no longer required. Thanks to the legislature and Gov. Crist.

http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sectio...9&Session=2007
post #1266 of 1732 Old 06-05-2007, 02:01 PM

Quote:

Yep. That's what mine says too actually...

So, what gives? Did Channel 10-HD blow a fuse? Did someone fall asleep at the switch? Did they forget to pay their power bill? Or, what?

Since there is "no need to call us" --- what do we do? Just do without until they correct their "technical difficulties"? At least they are "working to restore their signal as soon as possible". Most unimpressive!

What fun... Select a "Now Playing" recording on Channel 10 and watch an hour long display of "No need to call us". I already know how the program will end... This puts a whole new meaning on Re-Runs.

Does anyone know what's up with this? I noticed it a few days ago... I'd say it's more than just a difficulty, more like a complete failure? Of course, as you correctly pointed out, their analog signal is working. So, it's just us HD customers who are affected... Let's see, I pay extra to get HD but...

So much for the old "The Show Must Go On". Perhaps the difficulties will be corrected by this fall?

Planned outage.

http://www.tampahdtv.com/tpahd-vb/sh...ad.php?t=23265
post #1267 of 1732 Old 06-05-2007, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bschneider View Post

Planned outage.

http://www.tampahdtv.com/tpahd-vb/sh...ad.php?t=23265

Thanks for that info Bschneider. Not that it makes all right with the world...

So, maybe they will be back on-the-air on the 6th? Strange that only OTA and satellite broadcasts are interrupted while cable is unaffected... My tough luck, and yet another reason to wish that Verizon would run their FIOS the 100 yards from the street to my house. Maybe someday... when pigs fly?

Thanks again.
post #1268 of 1732 Old 06-06-2007, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Strange that only OTA and satellite broadcasts are interrupted while cable is unaffected... My tough luck, and yet another reason to wish that Verizon would run their FIOS the 100 yards from the street to my house. Maybe someday... when pigs fly?

It just so happens that Satellite gets it signal OTA too, in fact I am surprised BHN isn't affected. I knew they were talking about getting a direct feed, obviously they got one.

In some markets DirecTV gets feeds directly from the stations and in Tampa they do for SD channels, but for whatever reason in Tampa DirecTV gets their HD feeds via OTA. Of course the crappy part is they are forced to re-encode channels 10's already over compressed OTA singal instead of compressing the original high bit rate singal straight from the source.

I actually asked the CTO of DirecTV about this in an Interview, he didn't really answer the question though.
http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/01/11...to-re-hd-lite/

Ben
How good could it be if it isn't HD?
Engadget HD
post #1269 of 1732 Old 06-06-2007, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw View Post

It just so happens that Satellite gets it signal OTA too, in fact I am surprised BHN isn't affected. I knew they were talking about getting a direct feed, obviously they got one.

In some markets DirecTV gets feeds directly from the stations and in Tampa they do for SD channels, but for whatever reason in Tampa DirecTV gets their HD feeds via OTA. Of course the crappy part is they are forced to re-encode channels 10's already over compressed OTA singal instead of compressing the original high bit rate singal straight from the source.

I actually asked the CTO of DirecTV about this in an Interview, he didn't really answer the question though.
http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/01/11...to-re-hd-lite/

Very interesting? Contrary to some posters, I thought the questions you asked were on point. I am rather surprised that Rômulo Pontual (Executive Vice President and Chief Technology Officer of DirecTV) granted you the interview in the first place... He must have believed he could fool all of the people all of the time? I do enjoy seeing how people dodge questions and how effective they are at obfuscation. This guy was pretty good at both...

I won't beat the dead horse (DirecTV) much. The current situation speaks for itself? Cable subscribers are watching Channel 10... DirecTV subscribers (myself included) are not. I can state unequivocably that the picture quality of the "No need to call us" screen is not very good. In fact it gets quite tiresome after a few days?

Anybody know what the construction at Channel 10 involves? Channel 10 seems to be taking a quite a leisurely approach to it?

I'll just keep waiting (impatiently) to be hooked up to FIOS. It will be so gratifying to cease doing business with D*.
post #1270 of 1732 Old 06-06-2007, 10:37 AM

Quote:

Anybody know what the construction at Channel 10 involves? Channel 10 seems to be taking a quite a leisurely approach to it.

Yes, they do. WTSP-DT built a new 1500' tower in Holiday. You'd think they could have completed the new tower and then in a couple of days moved the digital antenna and RF gear. Maybe they wanted to re-use a bunch of their old hardware.

Anyway, here's some video of the new tower construction.

mms://wm.wtsp.gannett.edgestreams.net/news/200706/06/new antenna.wmv
post #1271 of 1732 Old 06-06-2007, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'll just keep waiting (impatiently) to be hooked up to FIOS. It will be so gratifying to cease doing business with D*.

Hi All,

I could use some advice on switching services.

Back in September 2006 I received an email solicitation from an on-line retailer to purchase the new DIRECTV HD-DVR. Currently I'm on my third HD TiVo. (The first two had bad hard drives.) Although its HDMI connection failed, the third HD TiVo has been holding up and providing good service on component video....knock wood, so I'm rather satisfied with it. I also have an old RCA HD DirecTV receiver and a standard definition RCA DirecTV receiver.

Have the new DirecTV MPEG4 DVRs worked out all their early problems?

Do they compare favorably with the HD TiVos?

I live in Sarasota, Florida and I'm interested in getting "local" HD stations (which I understand is the Tampa market). However, so far I haven't gone to the trouble of getting an outside OTA antenna to use with my current DirecTV receivers, mostly because I don't want to deal with the monstrously large antenna that would be necessary to pull in those distant Tampa stations.

Am I correct that the new HD DVR with the new dish would provide Sarasota with local (i.e. Tampa) HD stations without the need for an outside OTA antenna?

I know that MPEG4 will eventually replace MPEG2 and therefore my current HD tuners will at some unknown time in the future have to be upgraded. However, with the possible exception of local HD stations, and perhaps the ability to store more hours of MPEG4 content (50 hours versus 30 hours) I'm not aware of any obvious advantages of switching to the new HD DVR. Am I missing any other important considerations?

Would I have to immediately switch all my DirecTV receivers to new MPEG4 receivers if I replaced my HD TiVo in my home theater with a new HD DVR and had the new dish installed? I also have an old HDTV in my family room. It has RGBHV type high definition inputs, a type of VGA connection. Current HD receivers including the new DirecTV HD DVR don't provide suitable connections, so I would have to purchase some sort of transcoder to go from component video to VGA and hoped it would work.

Recently Verizon installed FiOS in our subdivision, but it hasn't been activated yet. Their new HD DVR seems to be having its share of problems as they rollout the new service. Can anyone share their experiences in switching from DirecTV to FiOS TV?

Verizon interests me because they are "promising" new interesting services, such as distributing HD programming recorded on an HD DVR to other HD receivers on a home network, and higher quality signals. Also I would be able to upgrade my Verizon DSL Internet service, and I believe I would receive a discount in switching my Verizon land line to a FiOS bundle of services.

The downside of going with Verizon is the crudeness of their new HD DVR, ongoing rollout problems, and the fact I would have to junk my DirecTV receivers and buy a transcoder to attach my old HDTV.

Is Verizon currently offering more HD stations than DirecTV?

In summary, should I:
  • Stay with my current DirecTV setup, until Verizon gets the bugs out of their rollout of FiOS TV and then switch to a bundle of Verizon services?
  • Stay with my current DirecTV setup, until DirecTV makes good on their promises to have more than 100 HD stations, and then switch to the new HD DVR?
  • Switch to Verizon now as soon as they activate our subdivison?
  • Switch to the new DirecTV DVR now?
  • Other?

Sorry for all the questions, but I could use some advice from folks who have "been there, done that".

Thanks.

Larry

PS:
Ben: Very interesting interview, but it doesn't really leave us DirecTV subscribers with the "warm fuzzies", does it? DirecTV's recent advertisements about "having more stations" is also borderline deceptive.
post #1272 of 1732 Old 06-06-2007, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am rather surprised that Rômulo Pontual (Executive Vice President and Chief Technology Officer of DirecTV) granted you the interview in the first place... H

Actually I caught him after the DirecTV press conference and started asking him questions. I was very lucky that he continued to answer my questions. There was a line of people complaining about the HR20 waiting to talk to him, so maybe he figured I was asking easier questions then they were. I'll try to find him again next year if I can, he should be much happier to talk if their new birds go up without a hitch and all that great HD starts flowing.

Ben
Engadget HD
post #1273 of 1732 Old 06-06-2007, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Larry,
While I think DirecTV is jumping the gun on their commercials, there is little doubt that if things go as planned for them they will deliver on their promises. That being said, I am not so sure about the HR20. I was recently in the same boat as you and I went the Series3 route. I have two of them with BHN now and as soon as Verizon lights up the FIOS in my neighborhood I plan to give it a try. But come football season I know I will be itching for the NFL ST, so I will probably get a HR20 (if for only 4 months) and write up a full comparison between the HR20 and the Series3, heck I might even get a SA8300 or Moto too to compare.

Ben
Engadget HD
post #1274 of 1732 Old 06-06-2007, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Larry,
While I think DirecTV is jumping the gun on their commercials, there is little doubt that if things go as planned for them they will deliver on their promises. That being said, I am not so sure about the HR20. I was recently in the same boat as you and I went the Series3 route. I have two of them with BHN now and as soon as Verizon lights up the FIOS in my neighborhood I plan to give it a try. But come football season I know I will be itching for the NFL ST, so I will probably get a HR20 (if for only 4 months) and write up a full comparison between the HR20 and the Series3, heck I might even get a SA8300 or Moto too to compare.

Hi Ben,

I look forward to reading your comparisons.

In addition to comparing the operation of hardware, subscribers are also facing the initial growing pains of new delivery systems. In other words, as my previous posting suggests, some of us might choose to wait out both the initial hardware problems associated with new HD DVRs AND the overall problems associated with rolling out new delivery systems. Timing is everything.

Although I've generally been an early adopter on all things HD, when they only effect my home theater. I'm inclined to take more of a wait and see approach when it comes to inflicting the warts of new HD implimentations on my wife and every TV in the house.

Larry
post #1275 of 1732 Old 06-08-2007, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Larry,
I can tell you that my Series3 is rock solid, today. One interesting thing to note is that I don't recieve ch 694 (versus/golf) and the fact that no one else with CableCARD seems to either, leads me to believe they may be trying out a little SDV -- or BHN can't figure out their CC infrastructure.

Either way I can't imagine watching any TV without a DVR, I rather wait till the shows were released on Blu-ray, than to watch them live with commercials.

Ben
Engadget HD
post #1276 of 1732 Old 06-08-2007, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Larry,
I can tell you that my Series3 is rock solid, today. One interesting thing to note is that I don't recieve ch 694 (versus/golf) and the fact that no one else with CableCARD seems to either, leads me to believe they may be trying out a little SDV -- or BHN can't figure out their CC infrastructure.

Either way I can't imagine watching any TV without a DVR, I rather wait till the shows were released on Blu-ray, than to watch them live with commercials.

Hi Ben,

I'm a big fan of TiVo, but am I correct that the HD Series3 is not available for satellite? I know the DirecTV TiVo has access to the raw digital signal so there are no additinal conversions needed in delivering the image. Do the Series3 standalone DVRs add any additional processing that could theoretically impact the image quality?

Thanks.

Larry
post #1277 of 1732 Old 06-08-2007, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryChanin View Post

Hi All,

I could use some advice on switching services.

Back in September 2006 I received an email solicitation from an on-line retailer to purchase the new DIRECTV HD-DVR. Currently I'm on my third HD TiVo. (The first two had bad hard drives.) Although its HDMI connection failed, the third HD TiVo has been holding up and providing good service on component video....knock wood, so I'm rather satisfied with it. I also have an old RCA HD DirecTV receiver and a standard definition RCA DirecTV receiver.

Have the new DirecTV MPEG4 DVRs worked out all their early problems?

Do they compare favorably with the HD TiVos?

I live in Sarasota, Florida and I'm interested in getting "local" HD stations (which I understand is the Tampa market). However, so far I haven't gone to the trouble of getting an outside OTA antenna to use with my current DirecTV receivers, mostly because I don't want to deal with the monstrously large antenna that would be necessary to pull in those distant Tampa stations.

Am I correct that the new HD DVR with the new dish would provide Sarasota with local (i.e. Tampa) HD stations without the need for an outside OTA antenna?

I know that MPEG4 will eventually replace MPEG2 and therefore my current HD tuners will at some unknown time in the future have to be upgraded. However, with the possible exception of local HD stations, and perhaps the ability to store more hours of MPEG4 content (50 hours versus 30 hours) I'm not aware of any obvious advantages of switching to the new HD DVR. Am I missing any other important considerations?

Would I have to immediately switch all my DirecTV receivers to new MPEG4 receivers if I replaced my HD TiVo in my home theater with a new HD DVR and had the new dish installed? I also have an old HDTV in my family room. It has RGBHV type high definition inputs, a type of VGA connection. Current HD receivers including the new DirecTV HD DVR don't provide suitable connections, so I would have to purchase some sort of transcoder to go from component video to VGA and hoped it would work.

Recently Verizon installed FiOS in our subdivision, but it hasn't been activated yet. Their new HD DVR seems to be having its share of problems as they rollout the new service. Can anyone share their experiences in switching from DirecTV to FiOS TV?

Verizon interests me because they are "promising" new interesting services, such as distributing HD programming recorded on an HD DVR to other HD receivers on a home network, and higher quality signals. Also I would be able to upgrade my Verizon DSL Internet service, and I believe I would receive a discount in switching my Verizon land line to a FiOS bundle of services.

The downside of going with Verizon is the crudeness of their new HD DVR, ongoing rollout problems, and the fact I would have to junk my DirecTV receivers and buy a transcoder to attach my old HDTV.

Is Verizon currently offering more HD stations than DirecTV?

In summary, should I:
  • Stay with my current DirecTV setup, until Verizon gets the bugs out of their rollout of FiOS TV and then switch to a bundle of Verizon services?
  • Stay with my current DirecTV setup, until DirecTV makes good on their promises to have more than 100 HD stations, and then switch to the new HD DVR?
  • Switch to Verizon now as soon as they activate our subdivison?
  • Switch to the new DirecTV DVR now?
  • Other?

Sorry for all the questions, but I could use some advice from folks who have "been there, done that".

Thanks.

Larry

PS:
Ben: Very interesting interview, but it doesn't really leave us DirecTV subscribers with the "warm fuzzies", does it? DirecTV's recent advertisements about "having more stations" is also borderline deceptive.

Hi All,

Anyone out there with an opinion on the direction to go?

How about you TechoFobe?

What are the factors that leads you to believe that Verizon FiOS would be better than DirecTV, especially since Verizon is bound to have lots of growing pains in rolling out a totally new service?

Thanks.

Larry
post #1278 of 1732 Old 06-08-2007, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

You're right it won't work with DirecTV, but it does work with FIOS.

Ben
Engadget HD
post #1279 of 1732 Old 06-08-2007, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You're right it won't work with DirecTV, but it does work with FIOS.

Hi Ben,

Does the Series3 on FiOs work similiarly to a DirecTV TiVo in that no additional analog to digital conversions are performed that might adversely affect the image?

Is the Series3 a substitute for a Verizon DVR, or is it used in addition to a Verizon set top box?

Larry
post #1280 of 1732 Old 06-09-2007, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi All,

Anyone out there with an opinion on the direction to go?

How about you TechoFobe?

What are the factors that leads you to believe that Verizon FiOS would be better than DirecTV, especially since Verizon is bound to have lots of growing pains in rolling out a totally new service?

Thanks.

Larry

Larry,

I am anything but an expert on the subject of FIOS vs. DirecTV. But, having said that --- I do have some very strong opinions regarding DirecTV's HD services. I am not impressed with it at all. Sure, it is about as good as HD on regular old cable? Maybe???

A friend of mine has FIOS and it rocks. Definitely do not take my word for it -- try instead to find someone who has it and check it out for yourself. Perhaps the best way for me to explain how good I think it looks is to say that I will switch from D* to FIOS at the first opportunity I get.

Maybe your experience and satisfaction with the quality of D* HD differs from mine?

I guess it's really all in the eye of the beholder... Oh yeah, remember: [b[YMMV[/b] (your mileage may vary).

Ed
post #1281 of 1732 Old 06-10-2007, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Larry,

I am anything but an expert on the subject of FIOS vs. DirecTV. But, having said that --- I do have some very strong opinions regarding DirecTV's HD services. I am not impressed with it at all. Sure, it is about as good as HD on regular old cable? Maybe???

A friend of mine has FIOS and it rocks. Definitely do not take my word for it -- try instead to find someone who has it and check it out for yourself. Perhaps the best way for me to explain how good I think it looks is to say that I will switch from D* to FIOS at the first opportunity I get.

Maybe your experience and satisfaction with the quality of D* HD differs from mine?

I guess it's really all in the eye of the beholder... Oh yeah, remember: [b[YMMV[/b] (your mileage may vary).

Ed

Hi Ed,

Thanks very much for the response.

While I currently have no basis of comparision, I'm inclined to believe that FiOS TV would have a higher quality signal due to its fiber optic system. However, as I mentioned earlier, I'm equally concerned about initial problems with their HD DVR or in rolling out the service. I'm inclined to eventually try the Verizon bundle of services, after its initial growing pains are resolved. Of course the big question is, "Is the service ready for primetime now, or should I wait a year or so?"

Have you or your friend reached any conclusions regarding how the HD DVR compares with an HD TiVo or a DirecTV HD DVR? How about the overall quality of the service? Do you know if your friend's service was installed with minimal fuss and repeat visits from technicians?

Thanks again.

Larry
post #1282 of 1732 Old 06-10-2007, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Do FIOS STB's have IEEE1394 (Firewire) outputs (like SA3250hd) for recording with a DVHS deck ?

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #1283 of 1732 Old 06-10-2007, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post

Do FIOS STB's have IEEE1394 (Firewire) outputs (like SA3250hd) for recording with a DVHS deck ?

Hi Jim,

Apparently it does have IEEE 1394 for connection to HD displays.

User Guide QIP6200/QIP64xx Series Set-Top Terminals

I don't know whether you can use it for recording.

Larry
post #1284 of 1732 Old 06-10-2007, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ed

Hi Ed,

I found this recent and helpful review by a reviewer located in Sarasota of all places!

Verizon FiOS TV

Larry
post #1285 of 1732 Old 06-10-2007, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes the Series3 works just like the HR10-250, but with CableCARDs and much much faster UI.
It does replace the cable box which is great.

As for DirecTV vs FIOS. DirecTV is not in a very good place right now, but they have been focusing on HD locals for the past few years and next month they are launching a new bird for HD national channels with another to launch by the end of the year. When they have these operational they will have more than enough bandwidth to compete with anyone including FIOS. Using MPEG4 the quality should be very good and the selection second to none.

I doubt they will deliver 100 National HD channels as promised, but I do think they will be the number one HD provider. Unfortunately if they don't start offering TiVo I will probably stick with my Series3 and BHN or FIOS. I hate to say it, but there is already far more HD than I can watch and their isn't much content that would make me look past a POS STB.

Having the second job that I do, there is no way I can go without having DirecTV when their new birds go live, but after the newness is up, I'll probably be paying the cancelation fee.

Ben
Engadget HD
post #1286 of 1732 Old 06-10-2007, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post

Just like BHN, FIOS is required to provide you with a STB with a functional 1394 port per an FCC regulation. But I would suspect that also like BHN they won't give you a STB that you actually want.

Ben
Engadget HD
post #1287 of 1732 Old 06-10-2007, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes the Series3 works just like the HR10-250, but with CableCARDs and much much faster UI.
It does replace the cable box which is great.

As for DirecTV vs FIOS. DirecTV is not in a very good place right now, but they have been focusing on HD locals for the past few years and next month they are launching a new bird for HD national channels with another to launch by the end of the year. When they have these operational they will have more than enough bandwidth to compete with anyone including FIOS. Using MPEG4 the quality should be very good and the selection second to none.

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the information.

Obviously, DirecTV will never realize the economic benefits of switching to MPEG4 if they maintain dual protocols indefinately. Do you have an opinion on when they will phase out MPEG2 programming? When that happens do you expect them to replace subscribers' old receivers, or will we be stuck?

Quote:

I doubt they will deliver 100 National HD channels as promised, but I do think they will be the number one HD provider. Unfortunately if they don't start offering TiVo I will probably stick with my Series3 and BHN or FIOS. I hate to say it, but there is already far more HD than I can watch and their isn't much content that would make me look past a POS STB.

Having the second job that I do, there is no way I can go without having DirecTV when their new birds go live, but after the newness is up, I'll probably be paying the cancelation fee.

I can't say I was happy when DirecTV discontinued the HD TiVo in favor of their own HD DVR. Do you know of any recent developments, similiar to what is happening in the cable industry, that might suggest that they might accommodate TiVo devices in the future?

Thanks.

Larry
post #1288 of 1732 Old 06-10-2007, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

i know someone the the series 3 and two cable cards ($3-4/each/month) on fios and they are very happy...in my mind fios blows bright house away in terms of pq...i switched about 8 months ago and i'm very happy...i don't have any of the pq issues that i used to have with bright house, but i have to add that verizon found a wiring issue with my existing cable and had to rerun a main line so i don't know if bh could have looked better. i do know that i had three bh service calls related to pq and they never found that wiring issue. my locals always had breakups and macroblocking on bh, i don't get that now...fios in demand service is not as good as bh now. they are however, planning a major upgrade for their stb in the near future accoring to what i have read on the fios forums...there is a lot of good info in those so i would read up on it there. in addion their hd lineup is better for me than what bh had the last time i checked.
post #1289 of 1732 Old 06-10-2007, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Obviously, DirecTV will never realize the economic benefits of switching to MPEG4 if they maintain dual protocols indefinately. Do you have an opinion on when they will phase out MPEG2 programming? When that happens do you expect them to replace subscribers' old receivers, or will we be stuck?

DirecTV has actually come out and said that when they retire mpeg2 they will provide an upgrade path for existing customers. Considering the MPEG2 birds still work, I doubt they will want to shut them down till they've squeezed every penny out of them. Also they are using new programming to entice subscribers to pay to upgrade now, so they are going to ride that as long as they can as well. These factors combined with how long it took them to phase out the "hackable" access cards makes me think MPEG2 will be around for a very long time, but if you aren't happy only getting 10 HD Lite channels instead of 100 real HD, you'll probably want to upgrade.

Quote:

I can't say I was happy when DirecTV discontinued the HD TiVo in favor of their own HD DVR. Do you know of any recent developments, similar to what is happening in the cable industry, that might suggest that they might accommodate TiVo devices in the future?

I don't think anyone is happy, but it was business. News Corp owned both companies and that is what big companies do. The TiVo CEO just said a few weeks ago that he expects DirecTV's new owners (Liberty) to be much more open to bringing TiVo back into the game. Unfortunately with DirecTVs current position, odds are if it does happen, it will just be a HR20 with TiVo software. This might be OK, but it might not be the software that people are disappointed with. Personally I think the worst decision DirecTV ever made was to switch their STB policy to all "DirecTV branded" boxes.

Ben
Engadget HD
post #1290 of 1732 Old 06-10-2007, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

DirecTV has actually come out and said that when they retire mpeg2 they will provide an upgrade path for existing customers. Considering the MPEG2 birds still work, I doubt they will want to shut them down till they've squeezed every penny out of them. Also they are using new programming to entice subscribers to pay to upgrade now, so they are going to ride that as long as they can as well. These factors combined with how long it took them to phase out the "hackable" access cards makes me think MPEG2 will be around for a very long time, but if you aren't happy only getting 10 HD Lite channels instead of 100 real HD, you'll probably want to upgrade.

Hi Ben,

Thanks.

The reason I'm asking about the continuing viability of MPEG2 is to get a idea of how long I might be able to remain status quo with regard to my old HDTV and avoid buying a transcoder. Apparently I'm not dealing with an "all or nothing" proposition. I could partially upgrade.

If I choose to remain with DirecTV, 10 HD Lite channels might be fine for my old HDTV for the foreseeable future. By the time MPEG2 is phased out that old set might be just about worn out and ready for replacement. On the other hand, I could upgrade to the new HD DVR and new dish when the 100 real HD channels become available and enjoy them on a 120" screen.

All in all I'm still leaning toward switching to Verizon, but its helpful to know that I don't have to replace all my receivers should I choose to remain with DirecTV and upgrade.

Larry
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page