Tampa, FL - HDTV - Page 59 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
post #1741 of 1759 Old 02-08-2015, 10:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I plugged my antenna directly into the TV to try out the WFTT sub channels and I get a "mode not supported" message on a black screen; no audio. A search on that message shows it associated, in the past, with HDMI issues, but this was a direct coax hookup. I disconnected all HDMI just in case, unplugged the TV for awhile, message still comes up.

I ran through all the other channels and only these three: 50.2, 50.3, 50.4, give me that message. 50.1 is fine, as it was (and still is) via the Tivo tuner.

Maybe WFTT is providing a separate feed to Cable providers and the programming is simply not there right now OTA. More likely, WFTT has made some kind of change recently with the data for these three channels, my guess is the PSIP, and some tuners are more forgiving than others to variation. This could be determined by additional observations & reports here.

When HiDef broadcasting was brand new you could actually call up the station engineers and they were happy to get feedback and would try different things. I suspect now that it's a mature art they aren't interested in hearing from us.

Last edited by Redux; 02-08-2015 at 11:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1742 of 1759 Old 02-09-2015, 12:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux View Post
I plugged my antenna directly into the TV to try out the WFTT sub channels and I get a "mode not supported" message on a black screen; no audio. A search on that message shows it associated, in the past, with HDMI issues, but this was a direct coax hookup. I disconnected all HDMI just in case, unplugged the TV for awhile, message still comes up.

I ran through all the other channels and only these three: 50.2, 50.3, 50.4, give me that message. 50.1 is fine, as it was (and still is) via the Tivo tuner.

Maybe WFTT is providing a separate feed to Cable providers and the programming is simply not there right now OTA. More likely, WFTT has made some kind of change recently with the data for these three channels, my guess is the PSIP, and some tuners are more forgiving than others to variation. This could be determined by additional observations & reports here.

When HiDef broadcasting was brand new you could actually call up the station engineers and they were happy to get feedback and would try different things. I suspect now that it's a mature art they aren't interested in hearing from us.

Thanks for the update. Strange it's working on cable for sure.
post #1743 of 1759 Old 02-09-2015, 02:36 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
So, you tried calling? I only say this because, even when our (CBS-TV Detroit) transmitter goes down, it's a good 20 minutes before the first call comes in. Things have happened to the encoder that would have made the stream unreadable to half the ATSC boxes in town. It was days before anyone complained.

Then, again, you let our CW transmitter go off during one of the Judge shows and that phone lights up instantly.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #1744 of 1759 Old 02-09-2015, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

I have the same issue here in Sarasota, 50.1 works but 50.2, 50.3 and 50.4 are blank with no programming information. Since 50.1 pegs the signal meter the issue is with the station not the transmitter or my reception.

We are in the middle of a transition to ATSC 2.0 where the primary Ch 50.1 for example has to use Mpeg2TS but the sub channels can now use h.264 which allows 1080P and 1080P S3D. Also Non Realtime Transmission (NRT) is part of ATSC 2.0 with ch 66 using 66.7 and higher for Starz, HBO and more. Ch 13 now has two invisible to ATSC 1.0 NRT channels.

It's possible that Ch 50 is upgrading as 50.3 is GetTV, a Sony network and Sony is getting ready with their 2015 TVs and with a DLNA Network tuner and their PS3, PS4, Phones and Tablets to support ATSC 2.0 and XTV. If this is the case then 50.3, for example, would be invisible to older TVs.

WFLA Ch 8 is seasonally intermittant and I supsect it's skip or they are forced to reduce their power because they are impacting a station which can be from as far north as S. Georgia to Miami.
post #1745 of 1759 Old 02-09-2015, 10:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_rigby View Post
We are in the middle of a transition to ATSC 2.0 where the primary Ch 50.1 for example has to use Mpeg2TS but the sub channels can now use h.264 which allows 1080P and 1080P S3D. Also Non Realtime Transmission (NRT) is part of ATSC 2.0 with ch 66 using 66.7 and higher for Starz, HBO and more. Ch 13 now has two invisible to ATSC 1.0 NRT channels.

It's possible that Ch 50 is upgrading as 50.3 is GetTV, a Sony network and Sony is getting ready with their 2015 TVs and with a DLNA Network tuner and their PS3, PS4, Phones and Tablets to support ATSC 2.0 and XTV. If this is the case then 50.3, for example, would be invisible to older TVs.

WFLA Ch 8 is seasonally intermittant and I supsect it's skip or they are forced to reduce their power because they are impacting a station which can be from as far north as S. Georgia to Miami.

I'm pretty sure none of what I quoted above is accurate.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #1746 of 1759 Old 02-09-2015, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
50-1..............just went bad along with 50-2, 50-3 which are still no signal using outdoor antenna 0600 pm........2-9-2015, Bradenton Fl.....just south of tampa.........38 miles from antenna farm in riverview.......
post #1747 of 1759 Old 02-09-2015, 04:11 PM

The channels are back as of 7:10 pm Monday 2/9/15.

I emailed the Operations manager early this afternoon, describing the problem. I haven't gotten a reply as yet, but the channels are back.
himey likes this.
post #1748 of 1759 Old 02-10-2015, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

I'm pretty sure none of what I quoted above is accurate.

- Trip
Quote:
NRT is part of ATSC 2.0 and being used now but h.264 and XTV haven't reached candidate status. It's been further delayed and a Media Hub model is now being explored. The Media hub model is like the EU's HbbTV.

If you have a Android tablet and a HD Homerun network tuner you can find the invisible encrypted channels that use NRT.

Quote:
I found this has been delayed.

Quote:
WFLA Ch 8 is seasonally intermittent and I supsect it's skip or they are forced to reduce their power because they are impacting a station which can be from as far north as S. Georgia to Miami.
I believe this is accurate.
post #1749 of 1759 Old 02-10-2015, 06:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_rigby View Post
We are in the middle of a transition to ATSC 2.0
Nobody is transitioning to ATSC 2.0. 2.0 was developed, but nobody wants to spend the money with 3.0 on the horizon.

Quote:
where the primary Ch 50.1 for example has to use Mpeg2TS but the sub channels can now use h.264 which allows 1080P and 1080P S3D.
I can find nothing in the standard about support for 3D in ATSC 2.0. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

Quote:
Also Non Realtime Transmission (NRT) is part of ATSC 2.0 with ch 66 using 66.7 and higher for Starz, HBO and more.
Those are encrypted linear H264 channels (not NRT). They require a special proprietary receiver to decode, but are normal linear channels. Even at that, they may or may not be standards-compliant in any case, because they require a proprietary receiver.

Quote:
Ch 13 now has two invisible to ATSC 1.0 NRT channels.
ATSC 1.0 did not support NRT. Assuming that's a typo and you mean ATSC 2.0, then they must be the only Fox station in the country doing so. I find it unlikely that Tampa would beat out New York, Los Angeles, and Washington. Fox does run Mobile DTV on its stations, including WTVT, which is also linear and not NRT, though Mobile DTV does have the capability, though the HDHR does not see them anyway.

Quote:
Which would be suicide since obsoleting every non-Sony receiver in the country would put them out of business. I would suggest most TVs do not support ATSC 2.0 or H264, so cutting out well more than half of your audience, especially for a network targeted at older people who generally do not keep up on the latest technology, would make no sense whatsoever.

Occam's Razor suggests equipment problems caused the outage, and indeed, that seems to have been the cause.

Quote:
No TV station is required to reduce power due to atmospheric events. Ever.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #1750 of 1759 Old 03-05-2015, 09:35 PM

50.4 WFTT (Escape Channel) Off Again

After all the WFTT sub channels came back several weeks ago, 50.4 has now gone away again; been off for at least a few days.

I sent another email just now; we'll see what happens.
post #1751 of 1759 Old 03-06-2015, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
well if you get an e-mail reply, you are doing something right. I have sent them messages w/o success. I suspect they are attempting some sort of upgrade, but who knows. And as someone mentioned, the channel shows signal is on, just nothing coming thru, tho it did pop up late night one or 2 days ago for a short time.

I also sent an e-mail to channel 28 re why they do not turn on their electronic program guide for 28.2 and 28.3 (Live Well and Grit), but no response. I suspect they are more interested in the ad dollars than the programming or their viewers.

Using a mohu flat antenna in attic in Lakeland, with rotator can get Orlando, Ft Meyers and even a couple channels from WPB, just not consistantly, but since no different programming, why bother?
post #1752 of 1759 Old 03-07-2015, 04:36 PM

50.4 is back.
post #1753 of 1759 Old 03-11-2015, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hooray! About time. Now if ch35.2 can get its act together.....I think the hamster got black lung disease. fortunately I can stream the one program I like
which is Bucket Strategy Investing.
post #1754 of 1759 Old 03-23-2015, 12:43 PM

Getting Channels 50.2, 50.3. 50.4 Back

I have gone back north and won't be taking a look at these channels again until next Winter. It's freaking freezing up here!

This is the email I have been using: TelefuturaTampa-CC@tv.univision.com

It was described to me as the email address of the Operations Manager. I have never received an email response but sending a polite message did seem to produce results within several hours.

Enjoy your weather everyone. March, especially, was magical. Feel free to use our beach blanket spot at Blind Pass Beach.
post #1755 of 1759 Old 04-26-2015, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone having OTA reception problems lately? Mainly NBC 8, 8.1. Most likely it's something on my end but I haven't changed anything. Restarted my tivo but it didn't help. Plan on going directly to tv to test but thaught to check here first. TIA
post #1756 of 1759 Old 04-26-2015, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I'm 57 miles from Riverview, with an antenna 50' off the ground. 8.1 is the channel I get more drops on than any other channel. I moved here over 30 years ago. 8 was always my worst average quality while analog too. I got brief video blocking about 10 or so minutes after 9, but haven't noticed any other drops tonight.

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
post #1757 of 1759 Old 04-26-2015, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
I'm 57 miles from Riverview, with an antenna 50' off the ground. 8.1 is the channel I get more drops on than any other channel. I moved here over 30 years ago. 8 was always my worst average quality while analog too. I got brief video blocking about 10 or so minutes after 9, but haven't noticed any other drops tonight.

I have a decent antenna out in my porch closet. Not ideal but it has been working very well for 2+ years. I haven't changed anything so I am not sure what happened. PBS 3.1 is not working at all either. Fox is bad during the day. I live in a condo so not many options. Maybe a new neighbor is causing some sort of interference? Thanks for the input...
post #1758 of 1759 Old 04-26-2015, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 32
13 has historically been my 2nd worst. That's where WEDU is now. WTVT is on 12 since digital conversion. It has often been the case here that when 8 is worse than normal, so is 13, but since digital conversion, outage brevity is usually the case, so trying to compare the two is futile.

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
post #1759 of 1759 Unread Today, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
13 has historically been my 2nd worst. That's where WEDU is now. WTVT is on 12 since digital conversion. It has often been the case here that when 8 is worse than normal, so is 13, but since digital conversion, outage brevity is usually the case, so trying to compare the two is futile.

PBS 3, FOX 13, NBC 8 are the ones in that order I have had the most problems with in the past, but they have always worked 95% of the time (Palm Harbor)...

I got my problem resolved...When I first got my tivo I needed a coax connector and didn't have one so I rigged up a short rca cable with a phono to coax on each end. Forgot about it because it seemed to work fine, well three + years later it started having problems like I mentioned on more than 1 channel. Found a true coax connector, replaced the "rigged" connector and all is fine. Think I am getting a better signal than before but time will tell...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page