Tampa, FL - HDTV - Page 60 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1771 of 1789 Old 09-02-2015, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I can use the attic, but cant install an outside antenna due to HOA rules. TVFool report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8e03614870664f (sorry for some reason the link function didn't work)

I have also attached a report from Antennaweb.

I could try and mount an outdoor directional antenna in the attic but that would involve a lot of work as my attic is full of stored material. I was hoping to be able to use an indoor type that would be better than the rabbit ears that I am using now. CBS seems to be the worst, but most the stations give me drop outs at one time or another.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Antennaweb Report.pdf (171.1 KB, 21 views)

Sony KDL-42V4100 LCD TV, Yamaha RX-V665 AV receiver, Sony PS3 slim, Klipsch F-30 speaker system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1772 of 1789 Old 09-02-2015, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Well, the HOA can't restrict that if it's necessary to receive terrestrial broadcasts in your local area. That said, you're point blank, so you just need to eliminate the multipath. A small directional in the attic or closet or someplace where walking around the room doesn't reflect a signal should do the trick. RCA ANT751, for example.

Another thing to remember is that VHF is more prone to interference. We rent a condo down there for vacations and it comes with a nice attic antenna. But if anyone flips a light switch on or off, the picture freezes for a second. And, yeah, WTSP is the worst.

But I'm not down there that often, so others here may have more experience than I do.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #1773 of 1789 Old 09-02-2015, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschlic1 View Post
I can use the attic, but cant install an outside antenna due to HOA rules. TVFool report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8e03614870664f (sorry for some reason the link function didn't work)
That link seems to have worked just fine.
Quote:
I could try and mount an outdoor directional antenna in the attic but that would involve a lot of work as my attic is full of stored material
From only 7 miles away, it wouldn't surprise me if you laid this or an antenna much like it on top of one of your boxes in the attic and got better signals than I get 56 miles from Riverview.

Regarding work, free isn't always so free.

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
post #1774 of 1789 Old 09-02-2015, 02:08 PM

On further consideration it does look like multipath interference. So I will need to go with some type of directional antenna. I did a quick search and it looks like most of the indoor directional antennas are amplified which is probably not good for my location. Any suggestions on a directional indoor antenna without an amplifier?

Sony KDL-42V4100 LCD TV, Yamaha RX-V665 AV receiver, Sony PS3 slim, Klipsch F-30 speaker system
post #1775 of 1789 Old 09-02-2015, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

I think MrMazda gave you what you need. Isn't pretty, but you can stick it in the attic or a closet and be done with it. There isn't much you can stick on a set top that's directional for VHF.

post #1776 of 1789 Old 09-08-2015, 11:57 AM

I ordered the antenna MrMazada pointed out. Should arrived Friday and will test it out for a week or so. The vender has a good return policy. I will try to install it in my attic and connect it to the coax cable system already installed in my house. I might have to place an amp at my DVR.

post #1777 of 1789 Old 09-08-2015, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschlic1 View Post
I might have to place an amp at my DVR.
Amps do better at pushing signal than pulling it. If you need an amp, at the tuner is the wrong place. Likely you won't need one anyway with that antenna at your distance from Riverview.

post #1778 of 1789 Old 09-22-2015, 10:49 AM

received the antenna Friday after UPS losing it for a week. It is installed and connected. Too early to tell if it will help. Signal strength is better.

post #1779 of 1789 Old 01-02-2016, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Working with a client near 19 and Curlew. Has an existing CM 3020 in an attic minus the Low-VHF section aimed at Riverview. Everything is full scale except WTOG, which breaks up constantly. Tried repositioning.. tried an amp.. tried attenuation. Debating a smaller antenna but am wondering what kind of interference issue the TBN repeater on ch 36 might be giving me. Anyone have experience in that end of Pinellas?

post #1780 of 1789 Old 01-02-2016, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

I looked on TV Fool and can't spot any connection between 44 and a TBN repeater on 36. What might I be missing in wondering why you ask? I'm on a vector not that far off your customer, but far more distant from Riverview, and am befuddled. As long as I'm not seeing skips from the Panhandle or Ft Myers, I get nothing between 34 (WUSF) and 42 (WXPX) except 38 (WSPF).

Also I wonder if there could be some logical connection on that 3020 between reception on 44 and missing low VHF elements. Can you test with some other antenna, ideally Denny's EZ HD or something equivalent to it or maybe a little smaller?

Maybe the trouble observed isn't unexpected using a directional fringe antenna at so close a distance to Riverview?

post #1781 of 1789 Old 01-02-2016, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

I tried a smaller uhf yagi wth similar results. The tbn translator is literally across the street at 70 degrees. Can get it with no antenna attached. I'm guessing the original antenna was chosen to reject that signal with a narrower beam. Could use a 600 MHz notch filter :grinning: I'll keep fiddling with it. Thanks.
post #1782 of 1789 Old 01-04-2016, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Working with a client near 19 and Curlew. Has an existing CM 3020 in an attic minus the Low-VHF section aimed at Riverview. Everything is full scale except WTOG, which breaks up constantly. Tried repositioning.. tried an amp.. tried attenuation. Debating a smaller antenna but am wondering what kind of interference issue the TBN repeater on ch 36 might be giving me. Anyone have experience in that end of Pinellas?
I don't have problems with 44 and I'm near where your talking about. Closer to Curlew and Countryside. I have a small antenna on my porch, first floor of two story condo.

Sent from my LGLK430 using Tapatalk
post #1783 of 1789 Old 01-04-2016, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Climbing back up there, today, to try some positioning changes. Also replacing the pre-amp. I figure 15 years in a hot Florida attic is probably more than enough for it.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...b97da803cdbe84

UPDATE: Got it to 140 degrees on my compass and WTOG seems to have settled down. Occasional glitch, but not like it was. Will still replace the preamp later in the week.

Himey.. anyone around here have any luck with Orlando? I remember I could do it from Carrolwood when I lived here, before, but that was analog. And it was noisy.

Last edited by DrDon; 01-04-2016 at 12:22 PM.
post #1784 of 1789 Old 01-09-2016, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Need help selecting attic antenna that will receive WFLA-NBC (RF channel 7) at Manatee-Sarasota county line (University Parkway).

Tried a Channel Master Stealthtenna50, which got everything it was supposed to except WFLA (and WXPX, RF ch 42).
Would prefer an antenna whose gain at Ch 7 is specified, rather than a generic "VHF gain" spec, which is probably an average across Ch 7-13, if not cherry-picking the best channel.
More importantly, one that is known to work in Sarasota County, attic mounted.
Have north facing gable. Can mount ~13 feet AGL (~15 ft above street level).

Without getting into impractical size or big bucks, these two seem like possible candidates:
- RCA ANT751R
- Denny's EZ-HD
Sadly, both lack published specs. Moreover, they physically appear to be the same.

Last edited by PhiDeck; 01-09-2016 at 03:10 PM.
post #1785 of 1789 Old 01-09-2016, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Climbing back up there, today, to try some positioning changes. Also replacing the pre-amp. I figure 15 years in a hot Florida attic is probably more than enough for it.

UPDATE: Got it to 140 degrees on my compass and WTOG seems to have settled down. Occasional glitch, but not like it was. Will still replace the preamp later in the week.

Himey.. anyone around here have any luck with Orlando? I remember I could do it from Carrolwood when I lived here, before, but that was analog. And it was noisy.
No Orlando, but my antenna isn't very high up. I have picked up ABC 40 a few times but not recently.

Sent from my LGLK430 using Tapatalk
post #1786 of 1789 Old 01-10-2016, 02:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiDeck View Post
Need help selecting attic antenna that will receive WFLA-NBC (RF channel 7) at Manatee-Sarasota county line (University Parkway).

Tried a Channel Master Stealthtenna50, which got everything it was supposed to except WFLA (and WXPX, RF ch 42).
Would prefer an antenna whose gain at Ch 7 is specified, rather than a generic "VHF gain" spec, which is probably an average across Ch 7-13, if not cherry-picking the best channel.

Without getting into impractical size or big bucks, these two seem like possible candidates:
- RCA ANT751R
- Denny's EZ-HD
Sadly, both lack published specs. Moreover, they physically appear to be the same.
Did you read the feedback on Denny's web site? I don't remember anything but high praise. Why not email Denny and ask what he knows about performance on CH 7? He does offer 100% money back, so all you could lose is time and shipping cost if it isn't good enough. What about calling WFLA engineering department and see if it has a recommendation?

FWIW, I'm nowhere near you, yet WFLA is also my most troublesome to get (along with WEDU), but I'm 53 miles from Riverview, with an antenna about 50' above ground, 55' above sea level.

post #1787 of 1789 Old 01-10-2016, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiDeck View Post

- RCA ANT751R
- Denny's EZ-HD
I'm further south than you, near the Sarasota Square Mall, and I use the Clearstream 4V antenna in my attic for the UHF channels, and I've got a tile roof. I've got it combined with a Clearstream 5 for VHF stations. Works great for all the Tampa stations. And I've got a second 4V pointing toward Ft. Myers, and get all those stations as well with strong signals.

Ron

Last edited by Ron Tobin; 01-10-2016 at 11:27 AM.
post #1788 of 1789 Old 01-12-2016, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Tobin View Post
I'm further south than you, near the Sarasota Square Mall, and I use the Clearstream 4V antenna in my attic for the UHF channels, and I've got a tile roof. I've got it combined with a Clearstream 5 for VHF stations. Works great for all the Tampa stations. And I've got a second 4V pointing toward Ft. Myers, and get all those stations as well with strong signals.
Thanks, Ron. I want to try something smaller and cheaper first. I ordered the RCA ANT751R from Amazon. It arrived yesterday, damaged, apparently at least partially due to poor packaging by the manufacturer. Expect replacement to arrive tomorrow, undamaged I hope. Will report results.

Update, 2016-01-13: Replacement antenna arrived, with folding UHF element installed upside down at factory. Poor QA! Amazon sending third unit. If third one is NFG, I will not request further replacement.

Free advice: If marry you must, then marry an orphan.

Last edited by PhiDeck; 01-13-2016 at 01:05 PM.
post #1789 of 1789 Old 01-30-2016, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I live in Wesley Chapel near Highway 56 and Bruce B. Downs and can get Orlando channels pretty well, late afternoon til early mornings 9 or so A.M. My antenna is outdoors about 25 feet up with a rotor. On the last channel scan could get 59 locals in Tampa area, 40 some odd in Orlando. The antenna can go up another 10 feet but the top section was bent in a windstorm and had to lower that section down somewhat. The antenna is the telescoping variety.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page