Tampa, FL - HDTV - Page 61 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1801 of 1818 Old 06-16-2016, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Connected directly to my TV and bypassed my tivo and all is fine. Copa America live and clear. 85% signal strength on the tivo so not sure what the problem is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 1818 Old 06-22-2016, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 1086
WWSB has added 40-2 QVC.

Unless I just missed the memo and am the last to know. Which happens a lot.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #1803 of 1818 Old 06-22-2016, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 41
From reports it was added a couple days ago
post #1804 of 1818 Old 08-04-2016, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 23
BRIGHT HOUSE TAMPA (POLK) WEIRDNESS

Does anyone know what the heck Bright House Cable is doing with their Clear QAM channels? (I refuse to use cable boxes.)

We used to have a Clear QAM line-up like this:

WEDU PBS HD 3.1
WEDU V-Me SD 3.2
WEDU World/Florida Channel SD 3.3
WEDU+ SD 3.4
WFLA NBC HD 8.1
WFLA 8 Prime SD 8.2
Bay News 9 HD 9.1
WTSP CBS HD 10.1
WTSP Antenna TV SD 10.2
WTSP Justice Network SD 10.3
WTVT FOX HD 13.1
WUSF PBS HD 16.1
WUSF Kids SD 16.2
WUSF Create SD 16.3
WUSF Knowledge SD 16.4
WFTV SD ABC-Orlando
WCLF CTN HD 22.1
WFTS ABC HD 28.1
WFTS Laff TV SD 28.2
WFTS GritTV SD 28.3
WMOR HD 32.1
WMOR This TV SD 32.2
WMOR Estrella TV SD 32.3
WTTA MyTV HD 38.1
WTOG CW HD 44.1
WRMD Telemundo SD 49.1
WFTT UniMás HD 50.1
WFTT GetTV 50.3
WVEA Univision HD 62.1
WXPX ION HD 66.1
TBS SD 79.2
Bay News 9 SD 80.1
C-SPAN SD 80.3
Nasa SD 80.5
Florida SD 80.6
WFLA NBC SD 110.2008
WTSP CBS SD 110.2010
WFTS ABC SD 111.2011
WTVT Fox SD 111.2013

This line-up lasted for quite awhile with occasional changes like adding Antenna and Justice Network, adding Laff instead of LiveWell, adding GetTV to 50, and TBS appearing one day.

Suddenly, around the time that GritTV was added to 28.3 (late spring?), a bunch of channels disappeared. We lost:

WTSP CBS HD 10.1
WTSP Antenna TV SD 10.2
WTSP Justice Network SD 10.3
WUSF PBS HD 16.1
WUSF Kids SD 16.2
WUSF Create SD 16.3
WUSF Knowledge SD 16.4
WMOR HD 32.1
WMOR This TV SD 32.2
WMOR Estrella TV SD 32.3
WTOG CW HD 44.1
WRMD Telemundo SD 49.1
WFTT UniMás HD 50.1

I had hoped, around this time, that instead of losing channels, that we should gain some. COZI had been added over-the-air to 38.2, DECADES had been going for almost a year on 44.2, and none of the WTVT 13 subchannels had ever been added. So we've never gotten any of these.

Meanwhile a few channels moved around:

WFLA SD moved from 110.2008 to 83.2008
WTSP SD moved from 110.2010 to 83.2010

Right now, the biggest problem with these losses is that CBS is only available to us in a 4:3 cropped SD. Their HD channel is gone. And the 16's and 32's and 44 are also among the missing in the bargain.

Just yesterday, I surfed through what we get and noticed that 28.1 (ABC WFTS HD) was also gone. With a rescan this morning, it popped up at 83.2028. Later today, it had relocated to 28.1.

Anyone know what the heck is going on?
post #1805 of 1818 Old 08-04-2016, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 38
When I saw similarly missing channels last week at a neighbor's house, I suspected preparations underway for implementing the announced discontinuation of analog channels. Re-scanning with other tuners resulted in zero apparent lost channels, though as you observed, some channels had had their virtual channel assignments changed. The tuner that seemed to have lost some channels was in a Panasonic VCR/DVDR. A Samsung TV and a Magnavox DVDHD recorder both found all the same ones that were expected. Scanning again with the Panasonic found all the same as the others except for 2-3 of those assigned above 79. With any luck, when analogs disappear, their bandwidth will be allocated to providing the local OTA channels that as yet have not appeared on BHN. Don't forget, BHN has been purchased by Charter, so it's hard to imagine that some changes not yet announced are in store besides the name change to Spectrum. Hopefully one of those unannounced changes will be restoration of the broadcast program info that BHN has been stripping away, so that cable box-free viewers don't need to look up current programs on the Internet to figure out what program info local channels are providing to describe what we are watching.

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
post #1806 of 1818 Old 08-04-2016, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Don't forget, BHN has been purchased by Charter, so it's hard to imagine that some changes not yet announced are in store besides the name change to Spectrum. Hopefully one of those unannounced changes will be restoration of the broadcast program info that BHN has been stripping away, so that cable box-free viewers don't need to look up current programs on the Internet to figure out what program info local channels are providing to describe what we are watching.
In most Legacy Charter locations (Spectrum is juts a fancy name for Charter...they been touting that name for a while here in MN before the BHN buyout) they are completely scrambled including locals...so I think not finding program info may be the least of your worries.
post #1807 of 1818 Old 08-04-2016, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I've been thinking about dumping Frontier FiOS due to some issues as they are hard to deal with in getting updated modem and lately lots of audio drop outs.

I was going to go with Brighthouse but if they don't have CBS HD...forget it.

Mikes Stuff
McIntosh MC207 Amps.........................DarbyVision Darblet
Marantz AV8801 Processor.................Da-Lite Screen
Klipsch Reference Series 7.2................Panasonic BluRay BDT500
Epson Pro 6010 Projector.....................Sony Playstation used for SACD and BluRay
post #1808 of 1818 Old 08-04-2016, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We are in North Venice/Nokomis, and I've got a CM2020 in the attic (pointed at 16 degrees as per TV Fool) going into a CM7777 and then into a 4-way splitter. Each of the 4 cable runs is 75-100 feet to the TVs. Most Tampa channels come in fairly well, but the hi-VHF is the worst. We only get WEDU (RF 13) in the evening, and a lot of times WTVT (RF 12) drops out. WFLA (RF 7) and WTSP (RF 10) aren't too bad, but at times the dropouts are horrible. I also noticed that when someone goes into the garage, which is right under the attic space where the antenna is located, reception goes down the drain for a lot of channels, but mostly VHF.

Any recommendations for an antenna that's better than the CM2020? I've tried e-mailing Denny about the HD Stacker several times, but no replies at all. I would hate to have to go to cable, so any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Joe
post #1809 of 1818 Old 08-04-2016, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrums View Post
I was going to go with Brighthouse but if they don't have CBS HD...forget it.
CBS HD works in BHN here in Hernando Co. on Magnavox, Panasonic and Samsung tuners.

post #1810 of 1818 Old 08-04-2016, 09:10 PM
Advanced Member

How far from Riverview is that 2020? It sounds like the inside of your particular attic is just too far away and/or not high enough off the ground. If you can't move the antenna outside, maybe a bigger antenna could make up enough difference to matter. My much bigger 7698P is right at the treetops, 45' above the ground and 50' above sea level about 54 miles and 155° from Riverview. It was connected to a 7777 until its VHF section died. I replaced it with a TVPRAMP1R, which works every bit as good as the 7777 ever did, maybe better. 7, 10, 12 & 13 all work about the same, usually only very slightly weaker than the best of the UHF transmissions, all of which peg the signal bars in my tuners that display signal strength, and all of which have a 4dB amp'd 30-2472 8-way splitter between them and the TVPRAMP1R. The TVPRAMP1R is bargain priced compared to a 7777, so it might be well worth it to you to try one. Could be your 7777 did the same thing mine did and needs replacement anyway. How old is it?

I got return email from Denny 2-3 times, but never again afterward. It wouldn't surprise me if he just gets too much email traffic to make time for it all, and only responds if he smells an imminent sale. Could well be he hasn't sold a Stacker to anyone near enough to you to provide any better info about it than what you can read on his site, so would be wasting your time and his own replying.

Is there any way for you to connect splitter output to a TV without 100' of cable to see if cable loss is significant? Have you tried removing the splitter to see how much improvement on 12 & 13 is available with only one TV connected?

post #1811 of 1818 Old 08-05-2016, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Thanks for the info on Bright House. I'm certainly hoping that they'll restore all of the channels one day soon. The notion of them getting rid of all clear QAM stations is a bit frightening.

I tried scanning with a crappy RCA TV, but it came up with all of the same results - about 10 or so channels missing since late spring, including CBS-HD.

The maddening thing about the loss of CBS HD is that their SD version has the sides chopped - but ONLY on network programming. The second they go local, the image shifts to a windowbox 16:9. Once the network is rejoined, it's back to 4:3 with cropped sides. Stupid.

All of the other major networks' SD channels are 16:9 all of the time, windowboxed.

Hoping for the best, and expecting the worst...
post #1812 of 1818 Old 08-05-2016, 11:19 AM

mrmazda, thanks for the reply. Here's what I can tell you:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmazda
How far from Riverview is that 2020?
According to tvfool, I'm about 50 miles from the towers.
Quote:
It sounds like the inside of your particular attic is just too far away and/or not high enough off the ground. If you can't move the antenna outside, maybe a bigger antenna could make up enough difference to matter. My much bigger 7698P is right at the treetops, 45' above the ground and 50' above sea level about 54 miles and 155° from Riverview. It was connected to a 7777 until its VHF section died. I replaced it with a TVPRAMP1R, which works every bit as good as the 7777 ever did, maybe better. 7, 10, 12 & 13 all work about the same, usually only very slightly weaker than the best of the UHF transmissions, all of which peg the signal bars in my tuners that display signal strength, and all of which have a 4dB amp'd 30-2472 8-way splitter between them and the TVPRAMP1R. The TVPRAMP1R is bargain priced compared to a 7777, so it might be well worth it to you to try one. Could be your 7777 did the same thing mine did and needs replacement anyway. How old is it?
My whole setup is only a few months old - antenna is about 25 feet above ground level in the attic. New construction, gestapo HOA. I understand my rights, but I don't want to get into it with the HOA folks right now, so the attic it is.
Quote:
I got return email from Denny 2-3 times, but never again afterward. It wouldn't surprise me if he just gets too much email traffic to make time for it all, and only responds if he smells an imminent sale. Could well be he hasn't sold a Stacker to anyone near enough to you to provide any better info about it than what you can read on his site, so would be wasting your time and his own replying.
I'm just wondering if something like the HD Stacker would be better than the CM2020 in my situation. If it doesn't work I can always return the Stacker, but I'd rather avoid that whole situation if possible.
Quote:
Is there any way for you to connect splitter output to a TV without 100' of cable to see if cable loss is significant? Have you tried removing the splitter to see how much improvement on 12 & 13 is available with only one TV connected?
So far I've tried all sorts of things. Antenna direct to primary TV w/o 7777 and splitter is marginally better, but still not what I need. I've also tried a distribution amp in lieu of the 7777 with so-so results. It seems that the 7777 into the 4-way splitter works the best (given the fact that I have 4 TVs). BTW, there are a couple of FM xmitters nearby, and until I flipped the FM filter on the 7777, I got virtually nothing. So, unless I can get more info to make an informed decision, I'm considering the HD Stacker with the ability to return it if it doesn't work.
post #1813 of 1818 Old 08-05-2016, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Strat View Post
According to tvfool, I'm about 50 miles from the towers.
I have my doubts that anyone anywhere with an attic antenna can expect reliable reception 50 miles from transmitters no matter how big or sophisticated their antenna. Advertised range for fringe antennas applies only to clear line of sight.

Your roof isn't galvanized steel or aluminium, is it? Any trees outside in the direction of Riverview?

FWIW, the 7698P here actually gets 10 and 12 slightly stronger than 7 and 13, but that might not be relevant for your azimuth.

post #1814 of 1818 Old 08-05-2016, 08:47 PM

No steel or aluminum on the roof, but there are a bunch of trees directly in the path to Tampa.

I was considering flipping the antenna to the SE and trying the Ft. Myers stations. Right now I get a few of them off the back of the CM2020, and I believe all the Ft. Myers stations are UHF. If all else fails, I'll take a chance with the Stacker and return it if it doesn't work out.

Thanks for the info!

Joe
post #1815 of 1818 Old 08-05-2016, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Strat View Post
there are a bunch of trees directly in the path to Tampa.
If far enough away, trees are OK, but if they are on your own lot or your neighbor's, you can probably forget about reliable transmissions from transmitters 50 miles distant using an attic antenna. Us actually seeing your tvfool report might facilitate a more definitive reply.

post #1816 of 1818 Old 08-07-2016, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

With Frontier FiOS I am now getting audio drop outs. Some are just a second long some are up to 30 seconds to a minute. My wife says that when she goes down a channel and then back up that usually works to restore audio.

This happens in the bedroom HT system and the den/living room system. Both on FiOS cable boxes HDMI run directly to Den/Living Rom TV and the bedroom system is through a Denon X4200W receiver as the HDMI splitter run directly to TV. Both TV's are new Sony.

Was on hold with Frontier for hours the other day. They set up an appointment for Friday and ever showed up. I called them at 5pm and they said they would be out on Saturday....Frontier never showed up and then I got an email saying everything was fixed....WTF?

I have a disc type of antenna on top of my 2 story house here in Apollo Beach. I'm tempted to hired someone to hook it back up to all TV's and just use Apple TV for everything outside of local HD. I'm so sick of these horrible cable companies...only thing is I need one for internet service...which with Frontier has now become spotty as well.

So FRUSTRATED!

Mikes Stuff
Epson Pro 6010 Projector.....................Sony Playstation used for SACD and BluRay
post #1817 of 1818 Old 08-12-2016, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Question Scientific Atlanta explorer 4250HDC Replacement (Brighthouse)

I tried to do my due diligence before posting --- but has anyone ever found a replacement for Brighthouse Tampa's Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4250HDC cable box?

Is that possible?
post #1818 of 1818 Old Today, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

I don't mind using cable boxes...because we use the DVR function of these boxes a lot. So has anyone compared the picture/sound quality difference between Verizon/Frontier Fios vs Brighthouse Cable for HD stations?

I'm happy with Fios but I do get some audio drop outs at times for a few seconds and but real issue is since Frontier took over Verizon my internet is very slow or drops off at times and you can basically forget about streaming TV shows on Apple TV or Amazon Firestick....too much buffering going on.

Mikes Stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception