Tampa, FL - HDTV - Page 65 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1921 of 1939 Old 04-30-2017, 02:42 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I live in Bloomingdale, just a few miles from all of the Towers/Antennas. Everyone has always spoken about how OTA video is uncompressed and looks better than cable or satellite, but I am not seeing that. I seem to get a lot of artifacting around the edges of movement with OTA that I do not get with a lot of streaming and cable. I am seeing this consistently across 5 TVs with all different types of antennas. I am less than 5 miles from the broadcast towers and using adequate 20+ mile range non powered antennas. Any ideas why I am getting the compression artifacts? Too much signal maybe?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wayner83 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1922 of 1939 Old 04-30-2017, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CHASLS2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tampa FL area
Posts: 2,068
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayner83 View Post
I live in Bloomingdale, just a few miles from all of the Towers/Antennas. Everyone has always spoken about how OTA video is uncompressed and looks better than cable or satellite, but I am not seeing that. I seem to get a lot of artifacting around the edges of movement with OTA that I do not get with a lot of streaming and cable. I am seeing this consistently across 5 TVs with all different types of antennas. I am less than 5 miles from the broadcast towers and using adequate 20+ mile range non powered antennas. Any ideas why I am getting the compression artifacts? Too much signal maybe?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have also noticed breakup and blocking up with motion since the start of OTA - HD. Many chans are only 480i and i really notice breakup on 13.2 and also notice it sometimes with 1080i. Seems 8.1, 10.1 and 13.1 never show this with fast motion. Seems 720p is rock solid vs 480i or 1080i. It has to do with the station.

Panny 60VT60 Acurus 200x3
OPPO 83 &103
Pioneer Elite DV 59AVI
Paradigm 490cc B&W 685 S2's
Pioneer Elite SC61 SVS SB13Ultra
2 S-VHS VCR's B&W CM10 S2's
CHASLS2 is online now  
post #1923 of 1939 Old 04-30-2017, 03:01 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
I have also noticed breakup and blocking up with motion since the start of OTA - HD. Many chans are only 480i and i really notice breakup on 13.2 and also notice it sometimes with 1080i. Seems 8.1, 10.1 and 13.1 never show this with fast motion. Seems 720p is rock solid vs 480i or 1080i. It has to do with the station.


I could see that. I mainly watch OTA for live sports and of course that is always on NBC, CBS and sometimes FOX. I was really expecting more from it. I almost feel like streaming with broadband may be the future as I see better PQ from streams on DIRECTV NOW than I do from OTA.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wayner83 is offline  
 
post #1924 of 1939 Old 04-30-2017, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CHASLS2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tampa FL area
Posts: 2,068
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayner83 View Post
I could see that. I mainly watch OTA for live sports and of course that is always on NBC, CBS and sometimes FOX. I was really expecting more from it. I almost feel like streaming with broadband may be the future as I see better PQ from streams on DIRECTV NOW than I do from OTA.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't ever see blocking up with fast motion on 720p. I only watch the news anyways on OTA or old movies and shows on 8.2, 10.2 and 13.2 most of the time.

Panny 60VT60 Acurus 200x3
OPPO 83 &103
Pioneer Elite DV 59AVI
Paradigm 490cc B&W 685 S2's
Pioneer Elite SC61 SVS SB13Ultra
2 S-VHS VCR's B&W CM10 S2's
CHASLS2 is online now  
post #1925 of 1939 Old 04-30-2017, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
mrmazda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA's lightning capital.
Posts: 892
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
Back in the old days we just had chan 3, 8, 10 , 13, 28 and 44.
Back in the "old days" there was no Fox. We had WEDU 3 PBS, WFLA 8 NBC, WLCY 10 ABC and WTVT 13 CBS, with WLCY changing to WTSP long before changing to Fox. In the seriously old days, there was only WSUN 38, which had ABC immediately prior to its acquisition by WLCY.

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
mrmazda is online now  
post #1926 of 1939 Old 04-30-2017, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CHASLS2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tampa FL area
Posts: 2,068
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
Back in the "old days" there was no Fox. We had WEDU 3 PBS, WFLA 8 NBC, WLCY 10 ABC and WTVT 13 CBS, with WLCY changing to WTSP long before changing to Fox. In the seriously old days, there was only WSUN 38, which had ABC immediately prior to its acquisition by WLCY.
13 was just called WTVT13 and the Chan 13 news was pulse plus with the big 3, Hugh, Roy and Andy. Then it was called big 13 also. I guess you remember Hugh and his big 13 and what went down with him in the late 80's and around 1992. I think it went over to FoX in 1994. Then chan 44 came out around 1969. I watched the big 3 for years on Chan 13 and hated to see them go. Andy was let go around 1993 when Chip Carter took over and Andy moved on my street in Danashores.

Panny 60VT60 Acurus 200x3
OPPO 83 &103
Pioneer Elite DV 59AVI
Paradigm 490cc B&W 685 S2's
Pioneer Elite SC61 SVS SB13Ultra
2 S-VHS VCR's B&W CM10 S2's
CHASLS2 is online now  
post #1927 of 1939 Old 05-01-2017, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CHASLS2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tampa FL area
Posts: 2,068
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 160
May get my new antenna this week. I may end up trying to get it higher up than what my antenna is now. Would like to get it 10ft higher and see if i can pick up anything else than what i am getting now.

Panny 60VT60 Acurus 200x3
OPPO 83 &103
Pioneer Elite DV 59AVI
Paradigm 490cc B&W 685 S2's
Pioneer Elite SC61 SVS SB13Ultra
2 S-VHS VCR's B&W CM10 S2's
CHASLS2 is online now  
post #1928 of 1939 Old 05-09-2017, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CHASLS2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tampa FL area
Posts: 2,068
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Got my CM2020 today. Does this look like it is hooked up right? May get a helper and get it up tonite.

Panny 60VT60 Acurus 200x3
OPPO 83 &103
Pioneer Elite DV 59AVI
Paradigm 490cc B&W 685 S2's
Pioneer Elite SC61 SVS SB13Ultra
2 S-VHS VCR's B&W CM10 S2's
CHASLS2 is online now  
post #1929 of 1939 Old 05-09-2017, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CHASLS2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tampa FL area
Posts: 2,068
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 160
The 2020 is much worse than my small 751. Total break up of most stations. I have the long small end pointed to the towers. It did pick up more stations like 5.1 and 40.1 but none of them are coming in now. So not sure what is wrong.

Panny 60VT60 Acurus 200x3
OPPO 83 &103
Pioneer Elite DV 59AVI
Paradigm 490cc B&W 685 S2's
Pioneer Elite SC61 SVS SB13Ultra
2 S-VHS VCR's B&W CM10 S2's
CHASLS2 is online now  
post #1930 of 1939 Old 05-10-2017, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CHASLS2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tampa FL area
Posts: 2,068
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 160
So no one post any here anymore?

Panny 60VT60 Acurus 200x3
OPPO 83 &103
Pioneer Elite DV 59AVI
Paradigm 490cc B&W 685 S2's
Pioneer Elite SC61 SVS SB13Ultra
2 S-VHS VCR's B&W CM10 S2's
CHASLS2 is online now  
post #1931 of 1939 Old 05-10-2017, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
mrmazda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA's lightning capital.
Posts: 892
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
Got my CM2020 today. Does this look like it is hooked up right?
No. It looks like both wires are under the aluminum, possibly making poor or no contact due to the insulation on the wire connectors. They should be above the aluminum element ends, either directly against the wingnuts, or with a metal washer in between.

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
mrmazda is online now  
post #1932 of 1939 Old 05-10-2017, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CHASLS2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tampa FL area
Posts: 2,068
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
No. It looks like both wires are under the aluminum, possibly making poor or no contact due to the insulation on the wire connectors. They should be above the aluminum element ends, either directly against the wingnuts, or with a metal washer in between.
Guess i will have to go back on the roof.

Panny 60VT60 Acurus 200x3
OPPO 83 &103
Pioneer Elite DV 59AVI
Paradigm 490cc B&W 685 S2's
Pioneer Elite SC61 SVS SB13Ultra
2 S-VHS VCR's B&W CM10 S2's
CHASLS2 is online now  
post #1933 of 1939 Old 05-15-2017, 04:46 PM
Member
 
Tarpon65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I live in North Sarasota and have a roof mounted "bow tie" antenna that I believe is a Channel Master brand. It was put up 12-14 years ago back when I had Dish satellite service. I have Fios now, but want to keep the antenna in case of a Fios issue. My rotor does not work anymore, but I have the antenna pointed around 32 degrees. A neighbors oak tree is in the antenna's line of site, but I can receive all channels fine, except for Fox. Does Fox output a weaker signal or can anyone else think of why this is the only channel I can not receive? Thanks.
Tarpon65 is online now  
post #1934 of 1939 Old 05-15-2017, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
mrmazda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA's lightning capital.
Posts: 892
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarpon65 View Post
I live in North Sarasota and have a roof mounted "bow tie" antenna that I believe is a Channel Master brand. It was put up 12-14 years ago back when I had Dish satellite service. I have Fios now, but want to keep the antenna in case of a Fios issue. My rotor does not work anymore, but I have the antenna pointed around 32 degrees. A neighbors oak tree is in the antenna's line of site, but I can receive all channels fine, except for Fox. Does Fox output a weaker signal or can anyone else think of why this is the only channel I can not receive? Thanks.
1: What was the source of your existing antenna, maybe a local TV dealer rather than a mass merchandiser? Was it designed for VHF? Most "bow-tie" antennas I've seen specs on are intended only for or primarily for UHF. WTVT Fox 13 broadcasts on VHF.

2: 12-14 years ago (before the advent of DTV), it wasn't unusual for special antenna models to be manufactured specifically for certain geographical areas, to raise gain on targeted channels at the expense of gain on adjacent channels, and reducing adjacent channel interference potential on targeted channels. WTVT Fox 13 broadcasts on channel 12, while WEDU PBS 3 broadcasts on channel 13. Possibly your antenna is intended to be weak on channel 12, thus your problem.

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
mrmazda is online now  
post #1935 of 1939 Old 05-15-2017, 05:39 PM
Member
 
Tarpon65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
1: What was the source of your existing antenna, maybe a local TV dealer rather than a mass merchandiser? Was it designed for VHF? Most "bow-tie" antennas I've seen specs on are intended only for or primarily for UHF. WTVT Fox 13 broadcasts on VHF.

2: 12-14 years ago (before the advent of DTV), it wasn't unusual for special antenna models to be manufactured specifically for certain geographical areas, to raise gain on targeted channels at the expense of gain on adjacent channels, and reducing adjacent channel interference potential on targeted channels. WTVT Fox 13 broadcasts on channel 12, while WEDU PBS 3 broadcasts on channel 13. Possibly your antenna is intended to be weak on channel 12, thus your problem.
I will have to spend some time researching what I have and what I would need to invest. Thanks for the input.

Edit: I added a CM-3410 today and I thought I re-scanned the stations on the two sets hooked up to the antenna, but I just manually input 12 on both sets and they locked into Fox 13 with a great picture. Curious now if I needed the pre-amplifier or if I was problem, not going to channel 12 instead of 13, but I swear I tried that last night.

Last edited by Tarpon65; 05-15-2017 at 06:08 PM.
Tarpon65 is online now  
post #1936 of 1939 Old Yesterday, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator
 
DrDon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Metro Detroit, Tampa Bay
Posts: 14,252
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1070 Post(s)
Liked: 2128
Tampa Television
WFLA Adds Two Hours of News on WTTA
By Chris Ariens on May. 3, 2017 Adweek

WFLA, Tampa/St. Pete’s NBC affiliate, is launching a 2-hour morning show on sister station WTTA in August adding 10 hours per week of local news to the market.

The show will air from 7am-9am competing with the network morning newscasts, including the Today show airing on WFLA.

“This is a tremendous opportunity to bring local 8 On Your Side coverage to Tampa Bay in a new time period,” said WFLA vp and GM Andy Alford.

News Channel 8 Today on Great 38 will be anchored by the morning show team of Gayle Guyardo and Marco Villarreal, along with meteorologist Leigh Spann and traffic reporter Leslee Lacey.

“Our viewers tell us they want and need 8 On Your Side news, weather and traffic from News Channel 8 throughout the morning. We intend to serve those needs,” added vp of News Bill Berra.

Nexstar owns both WFLA and WTTA.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/wfla-add...on-wtta/189481

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
DrDon is offline  
post #1937 of 1939 Old Yesterday, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CHASLS2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tampa FL area
Posts: 2,068
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Tampa Television
WFLA Adds Two Hours of News on WTTA
By Chris Ariens on May. 3, 2017 Adweek

WFLA, Tampa/St. Pete’s NBC affiliate, is launching a 2-hour morning show on sister station WTTA in August adding 10 hours per week of local news to the market.

The show will air from 7am-9am competing with the network morning newscasts, including the Today show airing on WFLA.

“This is a tremendous opportunity to bring local 8 On Your Side coverage to Tampa Bay in a new time period,” said WFLA vp and GM Andy Alford.

News Channel 8 Today on Great 38 will be anchored by the morning show team of Gayle Guyardo and Marco Villarreal, along with meteorologist Leigh Spann and traffic reporter Leslee Lacey.

“Our viewers tell us they want and need 8 On Your Side news, weather and traffic from News Channel 8 throughout the morning. We intend to serve those needs,” added vp of News Bill Berra.

Nexstar owns both WFLA and WTTA.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/wfla-add...on-wtta/189481
I miss the radar channel they used to have.

Panny 60VT60 Acurus 200x3
OPPO 83 &103
Pioneer Elite DV 59AVI
Paradigm 490cc B&W 685 S2's
Pioneer Elite SC61 SVS SB13Ultra
2 S-VHS VCR's B&W CM10 S2's
CHASLS2 is online now  
post #1938 of 1939 Old Yesterday, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator
 
DrDon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Metro Detroit, Tampa Bay
Posts: 14,252
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1070 Post(s)
Liked: 2128
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
I miss the radar channel they used to have.
Though the music got OLD. I did, too, until MyRadar Pro came out for my phone. Between that and the Weather Channel app, I don't even LOOK at TV weather, anymore. I MIGHT tune in to TWC or WeatherNation if something big is going on, somewhere. Otherwise, my phone IS my meteorologist.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
DrDon is offline  
post #1939 of 1939 Old Today, 04:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CHASLS2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tampa FL area
Posts: 2,068
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Though the music got OLD. I did, too, until MyRadar Pro came out for my phone. Between that and the Weather Channel app, I don't even LOOK at TV weather, anymore. I MIGHT tune in to TWC or WeatherNation if something big is going on, somewhere. Otherwise, my phone IS my meteorologist.
I don't have a fancy phone. So no internet other that my computer. My eyes are so bad up close i could never use a I phone. But i miss flipping to that channel to see the radar whenever i liked. I need to go see a real eye DOC, as Visons works seems to do much of nothing.

Panny 60VT60 Acurus 200x3
OPPO 83 &103
Pioneer Elite DV 59AVI
Paradigm 490cc B&W 685 S2's
Pioneer Elite SC61 SVS SB13Ultra
2 S-VHS VCR's B&W CM10 S2's
CHASLS2 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off