Pittsburgh HDTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 08-22-2001, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know if the Pittsburgh stations are broadcasting in HDTV as advertised? Are they up to full power yet?

I will hopefully be HD-capable within the next few weeks.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 08-22-2001, 01:32 PM

I would say that KDKA channel #25-1 and WPIX # 48-1 is at full strength. However WTAE channel 51-1 is at low power at this time . There is no PBS or FOX network in this area broadcrasting any high def signal at this time.

[This message has been edited by JohnLoresch (edited 08-22-2001).]
post #3 of 26 Old 08-22-2001, 03:01 PM

Get 25.1, 48.1 -> 11.1, and 51.1 strong in Greensburg. KDKA (CBS) by far best source for HDTV material.
post #4 of 26 Old 08-22-2001, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.nab.org/newsroom/issues/d...tvstations.asp
http://www.hdpictures.com/stations2.htm

www.titantv.com

This may help.

------------------
Meredith (KPHO) SUCKs! Phoenix CBS station with no HD just SD.

[This message has been edited by taron1 (edited 08-22-2001).]

[This message has been edited by taron1 (edited 08-22-2001).]
post #5 of 26 Old 08-22-2001, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
WTAE-DT is indeed on low power, but given that ABC is supposed to do a lot more 720P material this fall, it might be worth it for them to kick up the power at least in prime-time. Also, I'd like to see AT&T Broadband offer the digital signals...most areas around Pittsburgh have been upgraded to fiber and can now handle the bandwith

Mark Vidonic
mark.vidonic@gmail.com
post #6 of 26 Old 02-18-2002, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

I just got my Hipix card today and get CBS/NBC with about 85% signal strength. Unfortunately, the most I can get for ABC is 5%. I read a few threads on here about ABC broadcasting at low power in Pittsburgh.

Right now I'm justing using an RS double bowtie and live in the North Hills. Anyone else in northern Pittsburgh able to pick up ABC? I don't want to invest a bunch of money in a more sophisticated antenna if it really isn't going to help (if I'm too far north to pick up their weak signal no matter what).
post #7 of 26 Old 02-18-2002, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Jeraden,

I believe that some folks in Cranberry are getting WTAE-DT, so in Allison Park it's definitely worth a try. Here in Chippewa I have no chance (unless I want to build a tower that's as high as the ones the broadcasters use.)

Mark,

WTAE is currently prevented from kicking up the power by the FCC. Their full-power application is in the review process, and they can't even buy the equipment they need until the FCC gives their blessing. The only chance you & I have of getting WTAE-DT is if AT&T starts carrying it, and they've supposedly made noises in that direction. I just hope that if they ever do carry the digital transmission it's 8VSB so we don't need anything other than a basic cable subscription and our current STB.

"If not for Venetian blinds, it would be curtains for us all."
post #8 of 26 Old 02-19-2002, 04:44 AM

Jeraden

I'm up on a hill in Gibsonia and had to put up a roof mount antenna to get WTAE-DT. It's on a 15' mast and I loose the signal when it rains. Best signal strength I see is 63. If you aren't in a hole you should be able to get it with a roof top antenna.

Gary
post #9 of 26 Old 02-19-2002, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Jeraden, you should definitely be able to pick up WTAE in Allison Park unless your antenna location is really obstructed. I am all the way up in Cranberry in an apartment and can pick it up with 40-45 strength (DTC-100) with a $50 Xium antenna in an unstairs south-east facing window. I get 90-95 on both WPXI and KDKA. That said, I do have a fairly clear view towards the city, with no large buildings (except the 3-story apt buildings around me).

Try an Xium, and also try walking around with your current antenna on a long cable to see where the best signal comes from. If I move my antenna so much as an inch to either side I get no signal at all, DTV signals are very sensitive.
post #10 of 26 Old 02-19-2002, 12:01 PM

I'm in Monroeville and use a $9.99 Rad Shack bow-tie antenna in my attic w/ DISH 6000 and get a strength of 70+.

House is somewhat elevated though.

D S BAER
post #11 of 26 Old 02-19-2002, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

I tried your advice and did some more aggressive repositioning of it. Unfortunately I don't have very long cables and never found a spot in the house within reach that picked up a signal. However, if I stand about 10 feet in front of my house (the antenna out the window) I can get a 65 signal strength. Now I just need to find a place inside the house that gives me those kind of numbers. The best I can do inside is still just 5%.
post #12 of 26 Old 02-19-2002, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Nice! 65 is pretty good. If your antenna by that same window on the inside can't get those numbers your best bet is probably to just throw up a small rooftop antenna.
post #13 of 26 Old 03-17-2002, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

i'm living in oakland on craig street right now, and i doubt pitt is going to let me put a rooftop antenna on my university-owned apartment... do i have any options as far as indoor antennas that might work in this area, with all these tall buildings around? i know the signals are messed up in an area like oakland, but wtae is so close to here i am wondering if i can get something. when i was further west on 5th avenue, i couldn't get anything except analog pbs and kdka (but not digital kdka) on my crappy little rca rabbit ears. (which DID get me KDKA and NBC digital in a basement in the north hills).. anybody have any suggestions as to what i can do for an antenna, positioning, amplification? do i stand a chance in north oakland?

"There's a... big machine in the sky... Some sort of... electric snake. It's headed right for us..."
"Shoot it."
"Not yet. I want to study its habits."
post #14 of 26 Old 04-15-2002, 10:07 AM
hgo

Hi I live in Mt lebanon area. I am thinking of hooking up the projector with OTA HD (One can only watch so many DVD's). How would I start? Does anyone know If I could even pickup the signal where I live? And what about equipment? I would prefer satellite receiver type eqipment with OTA capability with component or vga output. Any help would be very much appreciated. TIA.
post #15 of 26 Old 04-15-2002, 07:52 PM

Liked: 11
I live a little further out in Upper St. Clair.

There's absolutely no pick up of WTAE here. To get KDKA digital channel 25 (CBS high definition) I have to ... (listen to this)... tune into HBO hi def or Showtime hi def on the DISH satellite, and very quickly turn to KDKA digital (25) to get it to catch the signal. It's sort of like jump starting a car while while someone's pushing it. I know it sounds crazy but nothing else works. I get a signal strength between 78 to 84% but it varies from second to second.
And I just bought the very latest/best OTA antenna (my 2cd OTA antenna)last week and have it mounted on my chimney. My house sits at the top of the surrounding hills. The hipix card that I bought for my HTPC is virtually worthless right now cause I can't get it to catch the signal.

By the way, my satellite installer, who seems pretty knowledgable about local hi definition, told me today that KDKA is only broadcasting at 20% of its potential strength (can that be right?)

Good luck Lebo!
post #16 of 26 Old 04-15-2002, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

No way, KDKA and WPXI are at full strength. I'm way up in Cranberry (20-30 miles) and get both at 90+% with a little indoor Xium antenna. I can also get WTAE mostly fine unless there is severe weather. I think your problem is likely terrain-related. Have you checked antennaweb.org to see what it says about your location?
post #17 of 26 Old 04-15-2002, 09:54 PM

Liked: 11
I'm only 20 miles south of the burg.

antennaweb.org says I need a medium directional antenna with a pre-amp.

I'll verify that with my satellite installer. Thanks for the tip!
post #18 of 26 Old 04-20-2002, 04:31 AM

Veinboy,

While visiting the Bethel Park section of Pittsburgh about one year ago, I used a HiPix to very easily receive and record digital broadcasts from KDKA, WTAE, and WPXI. The HiPix was connected to an indoor 8" UHF loop antenna (RCA ANT-200) located in a finished basement, partially underground. Analog reception was quite poor, but all the digital stations were rock solid, including WTAE-DT.

Upper St. Clair is not that much further out...and you probably don’t have your antenna in a basement...so you may be having a problem with your antenna, wiring, or your HiPix card. I would suspect your antenna or wiring and not your HiPix, because you seem to be having trouble with both of your digital receivers.

Check analog reception. If analog (NTSC) 22 and 53 are good enough to produce a marginally viewable picture with some noisy color and not too much ghosting, you should have more than enough signal for perfect digital reception.

The key for digital is not necessarily raw signal strength. Digital television can tolerate a large amount of what would be seen as "snow" in analog, yet still provide perfect picture and sound. This is possible as long as the signal in not being wrecked in other ways.

During initial testing, bypass any preamps and splitters you might have. Start by connecting the antenna directly to the receiver. Make sure you are using quality foil-shielded coaxial cable between the antenna and the receiver.

Minimization of multipath (seen as ghosting in analog) is extremely important for digital, so try starting out by viewing analog 53 (UHF analog transmitter located near WXPI’s tower) and aiming your antenna for the least amount of ghosting, not necessarily the strongest signal. Then, switch to digital channel (ATSC) 51 and adjust the antenna aim for the best reception of WPXI-DT. Then, do an "auto scan" to detect the available digital channels and the type of program stream(s) on each channel. You should see WPXI-DT and KDKA-DT with no trouble, as these are powerful digital stations.

Beware of too much amplification. A weak digital signal may work better than one that is over amplified. Overloading a digital receiver can sometimes produce a LOWER signal indication.

Beware of inexpensive antenna amps that tout large amounts of gain, but typically have shielding problems, response tilt, distortion, and poor signal-to-noise ratio. (The products that are sold by a ubiquitous neighborhood electronics chain store immediately come to mind.) For fringe area digital reception, a high SNR is more important than lots of gain. If your tests show that you must use a preamp, the ChannelVision CVT-15PIA has worked well for me with the HiPix. The HiPix needs a minimum signal reading of about "35" to get going with digital stations.

Good luck!

Regards,
Bruce Graham
post #19 of 26 Old 04-20-2002, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Guys,
I'm getting WTAE-DT for the time being...they have not increased their power, but their cheif engineer says it may be since the leaves are increasing.

Mark Vidonic
mark.vidonic@gmail.com
post #20 of 26 Old 04-20-2002, 07:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave McWilliams
Jeraden,

I believe that some folks in Cranberry are getting WTAE-DT, so in Allison Park it's definitely worth a try. Here in Chippewa I have no chance (unless I want to build a tower that's as high as the ones the broadcasters use.)

Mark,

WTAE is currently prevented from kicking up the power by the FCC. Their full-power application is in the review process, and they can't even buy the equipment they need until the FCC gives their blessing. The only chance you & I have of getting WTAE-DT is if AT&T starts carrying it, and they've supposedly made noises in that direction. I just hope that if they ever do carry the digital transmission it's 8VSB so we don't need anything other than a basic cable subscription and our current STB.
I'm glad to hear some of you folks are able to get the three 'burgh digital channels from Cranberry but I can only get 25.1...KDKA. I could really use some help from you Pittsburgh/North Hills/Cranberry folks. Here's the deal...

If you want the FULL story of all that's been going on...start at pg. 3 on: http://www.***************.com/ubb/...c;f=55;t=000436

For the Reader's Digest version: bottom line was this...I'm a first generation DirecTV customer, since '94. Since the wife wanted local channels for weather I had the best Radio Shack (RS) antenna installed. I live in Cranberry Twp., PA 16066 (off of Powell Rd...close to Glen Eden) and my "plan"...particularly my house, sits down in a valley...but then you know that western PA is all hills and valleys. Anyhow...all I could get was "snow" so I told her if she wanted weather reports to open the front door for the most current and accurate report...LOL.

Fast forward to this past November and I got a Pioneer Elite 610HD. I got a Panny TUHDS20 receiver and, being ever the ignorant one, thought I'd get any local DIGITAL channels through it...period. I had NO idea in today's technological age I'd be required to STILL use a roof top antenna to pull in HD signals.

I got Radio Shack to come out and they were...sorry, but true...worthless to me. Heck, they didn't even know what component video was, etc.

I did alot of research and found a local company by the name of Digital Visions and while they were light years ahead of me and Radio Shack...they were well behind folks on here and on The Home Theatre SPot. Anyhow...after much research and trial and error...hit and miss...I went with the Channel Master CM 4248 YAGI and 7775 pre amp.

Bottom line was absolutely no improvement from before. No...the installers from Digital Visions had no signal strength meter or any other high tech equipment to locate any "sweet spots"...indeed if there are any on the top of my house.

Now...keep in mind...these installers were the best I could find and after several hours from several different trips and at $80 an hour this has all gotten to be a bit more expensive then I can justify to myself...let alone the wife.

Still...I am convinced the three signals can be had but ONLY by a truly experienced antenna man or woman with all the right equipment. If you know of any...PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

Thanks...
post #21 of 26 Old 04-21-2002, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Blitzburgh,

Something just doesn't add up. You should easily be able to get WPXI on 48.1. Maybe the fact that you're in a valley is killing you, but I'm getting PXI with an attic mount and preamp all the way up here in Chippewa. There's got to be an antenna/installation combo that will work for you.

Wish I could help.

post #22 of 26 Old 04-21-2002, 03:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Dave...my man...you're so right...I SHOULD be able to get PXI but can't and need a really good antenna man. Know of any...??????
post #23 of 26 Old 04-23-2002, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

I have done quite a few installs in Cranberry, and have no problem getting KDKA and WPXI. They a re at full streingh. Wtae, which has it's tower in Elizabeth is only running at 25%. The chief engineer has told me on several ocasions that they have no plans to run at full power until 2004! &#%$*:mad: Mount Lebanon and Upper St. Clair can be a problem at times. I always recomend an outdoor antenna in those locations. Allison Park is usually a piece of cake. Once you get out to Treesdale (Gibsonia) is where I generally run into trouble with WTAE and indoor mounted antennas. Going towards Irwin installs are easier due to being closer to WTAE's transmitter.

Greg C.
www.pghcustomht.com
CEDIA University Designer CAT Member
CEDIA University Instructor
Crestron DMC-E
post #24 of 26 Old 04-24-2002, 02:39 PM

Greg,

When you say install do you mean Antennae install?

Currently I have largest Rat Shack in Attic and get all 3 Digital channels. However, barely get Fox 53 Analog (very snowy) and would like to get digital if they ever start broadcasting. I am thinking going to roof top should help. I am located near YoungWood/Greensburg near top of west side of hill.

You think it would be possible to get Fox digital in my location?
post #25 of 26 Old 04-24-2002, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, I sell and install antennas for my HD customers. Since Fox digital is Vaporware at this time,(Thanks Sinclair :mad: ) it would only be a guess. If they run at full power you should be ok. If they are cheep like WTAE:mad: , who knows?. Having the antenna outside will be a help.:p

Greg C.
www.pghcustomht.com
CEDIA University Designer CAT Member
CEDIA University Instructor
Crestron DMC-E
post #26 of 26 Old 04-24-2002, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg C
Yes, I sell and install antennas for my HD customers.
Sounds to me like Blitzburgh could use your services.

Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page