Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 8529 Old 05-24-2006, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by occasio View Post

I thought the 2.0 cards allowed guides & VOD. What we need to worry about is if a la cart comes into effect many channels will go OD. There has been talks for years about something other than passport & we may test in areas but probably not locally. We have way too many people which means way too many issues to test stuff here. Did anyone notice a change in PQ yesterday?

I notice on BOTH my DVRs pixelation and audio drop outs. I'll be watching a recorded show and about once every half hour the audio will mute for 5 seconds and the picture will slightly pixelate. This started in last week or two.

I dont know if its the feed or the DVRs though since I don't watch live TV anymore. Anyone else notice this, or is it just me?

Other than this, the picture quality seems sharper though some channels are now WAY louder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 8529 Old 05-24-2006, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I believe York Co should be running full simulcast but I noticed that problem with 66 again.

The picture on the lower channels seem to be fine - but they always were pretty decent here. However the sound is much better on the 800 series channels i.e. I just checked 15 and it was in mono while 815 was sending me a stereo signal.

Will the 800 series channels disappear from my channel lineup once 'testing' is complete?
post #273 of 8529 Old 05-25-2006, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob13654 View Post

The are supposed to, but they aren't available yet and who knows when they will be available. To be honest, at this point I would be perfectly happy with a Series 3 and two cards installed in it so I could get local HD. I would just hate to buy thing and have it not work with Cox after 6 months.

Wouldn't the cost for that be far outside what you can already get with Cox? Two cable card rental fees, plus the Tivo fee, plus the cox package, plus the Tivo initial cost? Seems to rich for my blood for a few more features(coming from an x-tivo user who does miss those features). I just hope they go to a software licence model and get off selling hardware.
post #274 of 8529 Old 05-25-2006, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelostone View Post

Wouldn't the cost for that be far outside what you can already get with Cox? Two cable card rental fees, plus the Tivo fee, plus the cox package, plus the Tivo initial cost? Seems to rich for my blood for a few more features(coming from an x-tivo user who does miss those features). I just hope they go to a software licence model and get off selling hardware.

Cable cards are about $2 each (Why would you need two?), no additional TIVO fee if Cox goes to a Tivo like service - it would be the DVR service fee you already pay to Cox. A Cox package? You would not "need" to add anything more than you have already. You pay $10 a month now to rent the Moto HD DVR that would not be necessary if you owned a Tivo. Yes, you would be out the initial cost of the Tivo. Your monthly fees would decrease a few $.
post #275 of 8529 Old 05-25-2006, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmlobo View Post

Cable cards are about $2 each (Why would you need two?), no additional TIVO fee if Cox goes to a Tivo like service - it would be the DVR service fee you already pay to Cox. A Cox package? You would not "need" to add anything more than you have already. You pay $10 a month now to rent the Moto HD DVR that would not be necessary if you owned a Tivo. Yes, you would be out the initial cost of the Tivo. Your monthly fees would decrease a few $.

I did not realize the cable card charge was that low, I thought it matched the cost of a regular cable box rental. You would need two to match the dual tuners that are in the moto boxes. Cable card 2.0 cards are supposed to allow multiple tuners but I have no eta on them. So I agree that the fees are a wash at that point, you are just out the initial cost..if the hd tivo is a guide we are talking 700-1000. Too rich for me... a lease program and I would consider.
post #276 of 8529 Old 05-25-2006, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelostone View Post

I did not realize the cable card charge was that low, I thought it matched the cost of a regular cable box rental. You would need two to match the dual tuners that are in the moto boxes. Cable card 2.0 cards are supposed to allow multiple tuners but I have no eta on them. So I agree that the fees are a wash at that point, you are just out the initial cost..if the hd tivo is a guide we are talking 700-1000. Too rich for me... a lease program and I would consider.

Tivo has a new program which is similar to a lease for the current boxes. I don't know if that will translate to the Series 3. As far as upfront cost, I think that networking, better software, OTA tuner (would mean nothing if Cox got it's act together), bigger HDD, external SATA drive options, better guide and informaion and more reliability are worth the upfront costs, but that's just me. If the Series 3 will work with no problems with Cox, I'm definately in for that.
post #277 of 8529 Old 05-27-2006, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob13654 View Post

Tivo has a new program which is similar to a lease for the current boxes. I don't know if that will translate to the Series 3. As far as upfront cost, I think that networking, better software, OTA tuner (would mean nothing if Cox got it's act together), bigger HDD, external SATA drive options, better guide and informaion and more reliability are worth the upfront costs, but that's just me. If the Series 3 will work with no problems with Cox, I'm definately in for that.

If it delivers all that is promised it will be the best box on the market. However, I think the upfront cost, I've read guesstimates of $400 to $800, will cause many folks to stop and think before jumping to the Series 3.
post #278 of 8529 Old 05-28-2006, 03:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

TO TEST IF THE CHANNEL IS DIGITAL OR ANALOG YET

Tune to a single-digit channel (ex: Ch. 9). These "basic cable" channels would normally be received as analog without ADS.
Press CABLE then POWER to shut off the box.
Immediately press OK/SELECT to enter the Diagnostic Main Menu.
Press DOWN ARROW to "d06 CURRENT CHANNEL STATUS" and press OK/SELECT.
If the "Type" is "ANALOG", you do not have ADS.
If the "Type" is "DIGITAL", you may have ADS (this tuner may be tuned to a digital channel that wouldn't use ADS, check the other tuner in the next step to see if it is tuned to an analog channel).
Press DOWN ARROW to scroll to the second page showing details for Tuner 2.
If the "Type" is "ANALOG", you do not have ADS.
If the "Type" is "DIGITAL", and the "Type" of Tuner 1 was also "DIGITAL", you have ADS.
Press OK/SELECT then POWER to exit the Diagnostic Menu. The box will now be off.

Are these instructions suppose to work the 6416 DVR boxes or just the STBs? When I try this I get a screen message stating I must turn the box on for commands to work.

Another question - The picture quality on the 'analog' channels are good but I still get better sound (stereo/dolby) on the 800 series channels. This tells me that the ADS is not enabled in my area? Or, does ADS affect picture quality only and not sound? I live in York Co. btw and you stated that you thought York was complete.
post #279 of 8529 Old 06-01-2006, 04:08 PM

Quote:

TByronT I missed that issue, sorry. I'm off finally but I'm going in Friday for a lil while.

Well another week has past, and Cox cable Channel 10 (WAVY-TV analog) still has "Left Channel" only stereo sound. Problem does not exist on 810 or OTA.

Occasio, if you can't get anyone's attention at work, could you give me a "technically-proficient" Cox contact I could call or e-mail to report this?

Could be this is a Hampton only problem. At one time, Hampton had its own Cox "frontend" but that may no longer be true.
post #280 of 8529 Old 06-01-2006, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

It appears that all of my channels are now digital and they seem to have cleaned up the audio. It seems that occasio was correct and York Co. does have full simulcast. One question, will the Cox Test Channels (800s) remain on the TV Guide or should they be hidden? I still have them listed.
post #281 of 8529 Old 06-01-2006, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
800's will probably remain until the entire system is done.

------------------------------------
Occasio Gee
www.occasiogee.com

post #282 of 8529 Old 06-01-2006, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat123 View Post

I notice on BOTH my DVRs pixelation and audio drop outs. I'll be watching a recorded show and about once every half hour the audio will mute for 5 seconds and the picture will slightly pixelate. This started in last week or two.

I dont know if its the feed or the DVRs though since I don't watch live TV anymore. Anyone else notice this, or is it just me?

I rebooted both boxes (hold down the power button for 7 seconds) and haven't seen the problem since. So either it was fixed with the reboot or I'm noticing it less now since the TV season is over.
post #283 of 8529 Old 06-01-2006, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Occasio...any update on the scrambled local HD channels?
post #284 of 8529 Old 06-02-2006, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It appears that all of my channels are now digital and they seem to have cleaned up the audio. It seems that occasio was correct and York Co. does have full simulcast.

Don't keep us in suspense. What's the verdict WRT video quality? Are they comparable to the OTA broadcast digital?
post #285 of 8529 Old 06-02-2006, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't have OTA broadcast digital. I can only compare the ADS with the analog cable channels I did receive. The simulcast channels are far superior to the analog versions - and the analog service I had was pretty good! I don't believe the picture is quite as sharp as a standard digital (non-analog to digital converted) channel but it is sharper than the standard analog only signal I did receive. Colors are more uniform, channel to channel. Now if only they could standardize volume levels.
post #286 of 8529 Old 06-02-2006, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't have OTA broadcast digital. I can only compare the ADS with the analog cable channels I did receive. The simulcast channels are far superior to the analog versions - and the analog service I had was pretty good! I don't believe the picture is quite as sharp as a standard digital (non-analog to digital converted) channel but it is sharper than the standard analog only signal I did receive. Colors are more uniform, channel to channel. Now if only they could standardize volume levels.

Which video interface do you use? component or DVI? Are the audio levels different between the channels?
post #287 of 8529 Old 06-02-2006, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitude View Post

Which video interface do you use? component or DVI? Are the audio levels different between the channels?

I use component cables from the 6416 to my tv and optical from the dvr to my audio amp. Yes, the audio levels sound different between some of the channels. Also tonight I noticed that the 'digital' chan 10 audio is heavily biased to the left channel.
post #288 of 8529 Old 06-03-2006, 04:26 AM

Quote:

...Also tonight I noticed that the 'digital' chan 10 audio is heavily biased to the left channel.

Hey, that's not what I get in Hampton! If you can still get channel 810 directly, compare it with Cox channel 10. If the left-channel bias is on 10, but not 810 (and 810 is louder than 10) then your Cox channel 10 is still unmapped (to 810) and is still the "analog" version. I only get left-channel-only stereo on "analog" channel 10 here. None of the Hampton 8xx channels are mapped to lower channels yet.
post #289 of 8529 Old 06-03-2006, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

ADS in York Co. is (was) complete. However, last night I noticed the left channel bias on Chan 10. Today none of the channels are mapped - I have the old analog channels back and they are much poorer quality than they were before the mapping. Channel 3 is barely viewable. Before it was always one of the best analog channels.

What's up with the simulcast in York Co, Occasio? It was beautiful but now I am back to analog and weak signals.
post #290 of 8529 Old 06-03-2006, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TByronT View Post

Hey, that's not what I get in Hampton! If you can still get channel 810 directly, compare it with Cox channel 10. If the left-channel bias is on 10, but not 810 (and 810 is louder than 10) then your Cox channel 10 is still unmapped (to 810) and is still the "analog" version. I only get left-channel-only stereo on "analog" channel 10 here. None of the Hampton 8xx channels are mapped to lower channels yet.

TByron - Chan 10 AND 810 had the same left channel bias here in York Co. At least in my part of York Co. Volume levels on Chan 10 and 810 have been the same. The channel frequency for chan 10 and 810 were the same. They are not now as the mapping has disappeared and I am back with analog channels.
post #291 of 8529 Old 06-07-2006, 04:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Occasio - What's up with the simulcasting in York Co.? I thought York was complete. All my channels were digital for a couple of days now they are back to analog. Is cox having problems?
post #292 of 8529 Old 06-07-2006, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

... Also tonight I noticed that the 'digital' chan 10 audio is heavily biased to the left channel.

I time shift everything and my viewing is just now catching up with the recordings I made when you wrote this on 2 Jun. There is no center channel on my Channel 10 recordings. The predominant audio is coming from the front left speaker. Was this ever fixed or should I erase all NBC recordings? I hate it when the dialog comes from the other side of my living room.
post #293 of 8529 Old 06-07-2006, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Occasio - What's up with the simulcasting in York Co.? I thought York was complete. All my channels were digital for a couple of days now they are back to analog. Is cox having problems?

Last year our local broadcasters were having problems with losing the center audio channel when the national feed switched from DD 5.1 back to Pro Logic. They had no means to auto detect the change and it was up to the person in the control booth to catch it and manually switch. I suspect that, as Cox migrates analog to digital, they may be having the same issues. They converted you folks to digital in York Co. and then everyone started sqawking about losing center channel so maybe they switched back until they get it sorted out.
post #294 of 8529 Old 06-07-2006, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitude View Post

Last year our local broadcasters were having problems with losing the center audio channel when the national feed switched from DD 5.1 back to Pro Logic. They had no means to auto detect the change and it was up to the person in the control booth to catch it and manually switch. I suspect that, as Cox migrates analog to digital, they may be having the same issues. They converted you folks to digital in York Co. and then everyone started sqawking about losing center channel so maybe they switched back until they get it sorted out.

You are most likely correct. My signal is definitely back to analog on the lower channels. As for your earlier question (left channel bias) Channel 10 was still that way last night. I'm back to watching 810.
post #295 of 8529 Old 06-09-2006, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Five days since my lower channels reverted to analog. Channel 10 (tonight) seems to have a left and center channel but little or no right channel.
post #296 of 8529 Old 06-10-2006, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry guys didn't mean to leave you hanging but I have been working on some community service programs so I haven't had much time for anything else. Haven't really been doing much cable stuff either (You know that whole Cox in the Community thing).

Anyone who has experienced this problem please PM me with your address. If you don't want to give me your address I need at least your street & city. Entire address or Cox acct #'s would be best so I can identify your nodes.

Thanks & I'll get right on this

Occasio Gee
www.occasiogee.com

post #297 of 8529 Old 06-10-2006, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Heard anything about the scrambled local HD channels?
post #298 of 8529 Old 06-10-2006, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Have you guys that have been having problems tried a cold initialize of your boxes. Hold down the power button for 7 secs. You will reset to default & erase all stored maps. Try that first. With addresses I could tell you more though.

Occasio Gee
www.occasiogee.com

post #299 of 8529 Old 06-10-2006, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have you guys that have been having problems tried a cold initialize of your boxes. Hold down the power button for 7 secs. You will reset to default & erase all stored maps. Try that first. With addresses I could tell you more though.

Does this cold reset work for DVRs? I have unplugged the 6416 and allowed it to reboot. Doesn't this accomplish the same thing as a reset? If I do a reset, the way you mention (if it works) does the DVR lose all recorded shows and the information for planned recordings?
post #300 of 8529 Old 06-10-2006, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

no it doesn't erase everything. I did it myself to check.

Occasio Gee
www.occasiogee.com

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page