Norfolk, VA - Cox - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 8529 Old 11-15-2006, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Some good news, looks like Boomerang, ESPN2 HD, & ESPNU are getting added to the lineup. No date yet.

------------------------------------
Occasio Gee
www.occasiogee.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 8529 Old 11-15-2006, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Do you know if there has been any talk of getting HDNet?
post #543 of 8529 Old 11-15-2006, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

not that I heard. I know we have it in other areas.

Occasio Gee
www.occasiogee.com

post #544 of 8529 Old 11-15-2006, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by occasio View Post

not that I heard. I know we have it in other areas.

Do you work for Cox?

Can you speak for Cox-Fairfax?

They have the whole digital-simulcast thing going... was hoping that may turn into something good (more HD)... nothing yet though.
post #545 of 8529 Old 11-15-2006, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

unfortunately I can only give you general info b/c each system is different w/ different infrastructure.

Occasio Gee
www.occasiogee.com

post #546 of 8529 Old 11-15-2006, 04:04 PM

Quote:

unfortunately I can only give you general info b/c each system is different w/ different infrastructure.

Wellllllll...?

Or was that it?
post #547 of 8529 Old 11-15-2006, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Guess I didn't answer the question that well (or at all). Simulcast doesn't really lead to any new HD channels. Best bet tell everyone to get rid of analog & add a bunch of digital boxes to free up bandwidth. This is just speaking in relation to our local system in Hampton Roads.

Occasio Gee
www.occasiogee.com

post #548 of 8529 Old 11-15-2006, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Daily Press article......sounds pretty unbiased. They sometimes have a spin on their Cox articles. Just to give you guys a little more info

Cox Communications is increasing the monthly price for Internet access by $2 and the price for cable television by $2.65 in January. In addition, the company will drop the cost of its high-definition/digital video recorder box from $9.95 a month to $5.50 - the same price as a regular cable box.

This means HDTV owners will get programming from Cox at no extra charge. Also, Cox is adding ESPN2 in high definition and says it is close to agreements to add the NBC and Fox stations in HDTV, major holes in its current programming.

The changes at Cox come as Verizon Communications and Cavalier Telephone take advantage of a new state law to compete with Cox on cable television and high-speed Internet. Both companies are working out agreements with Hampton Roads governments to start selling TV service.

Cox is betting that as prices plummet for HDTV sets, consumers will place a higher value on receiving HDTV channels. Wal-Mart already has announced deep discounts on the sets for the holidays. A high-definition television set offers a better picture, but the clarity increases while watching HDTV channels.

"After the Christmas holiday season is over, you're going to find that a lot of people have made that decision," said Thom Prevette, spokesman for Cox in Hampton Roads.

The price reduction for the box means a lower price for a digital video recorder, which allows people to watch shows whenever they want and fast-forward through commercials. But there is also a $4.95 fee to use this service, and Cox is raising it to $9.50 a month in 2007. With the price of the service rising slightly more than the price of the box is dropping, these subscribers will pay 10 cents more total.

When ESPN2 joins the HDTV lineup on Dec. 13, it will take the number of HDTV channels to 10. Subscribers to premium channels have more. Cox must agree on terms with local broadcast affiliates to transmit their HDTV signals, and currently, Cox transmits the CBS and PBS affiliates.

But the cable company is still not close to an agreement with the Belo-owned ABC affiliate. And there have been fights with Lin Television over the Fox and NBC channels.

Those talks have improved, said Prevette, who expects a deal "very soon."

"Everybody involved is very much aware that the growth of HDTV sets in homes has just exploded," said Prevette.

More sports will be added to Cox on ESPNU, which airs college sports. And Cox has reached an agreement to carry the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network, which is run by the owners of the Baltimore Orioles and Washington Nationals and broadcasts the baseball teams exclusively.

The fans of these teams have long complained that Cox does not air the games. But to get the rights, Cox had to put the channel on standard cable.

The digital NFL Network channel plans to add eight Thursday night football games starting on Thanksgiving.

The NFL Network has fought with cable systems, including Cox, over whether the fledgling league-owned network would allow cable companies to place it on a digital tier.

Cox expects a rush on HDTV boxes at the end of this year as people buy the sets for Christmas and take advantage of the price decrease on the box. The cable company ordered extra boxes, which consumers can pick up at Cox service centers or get delivered for a fee.

Occasio Gee
www.occasiogee.com

post #549 of 8529 Old 11-16-2006, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Daily Press article......sounds pretty unbiased. They sometimes have a spin on their Cox articles. Just to give you guys a little more info

The same old HD agreement very soon tease we've heard for the last three years? I bought my plasma display and signed up for Cox digital in November 2003. (not taking it out on you Occasio) This is exactly what the Cox CSR told me then.
post #550 of 8529 Old 11-16-2006, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I just find it interesting the way it was worded seperating the two companies this time.

Occasio Gee
www.occasiogee.com

post #551 of 8529 Old 11-25-2006, 03:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Does anyone else notice that the quality of the digitized local channels seems to vary day-to-day? Some days the picture is nearly DVD quality other days it appears "soft", not quite as sharp. The "digitized" non-local channels seem to maintain a consistant quality. I believe these distant channels are received in a digital format. Cox sends this digital signal directly to its digital customers and does a d - a conversion for its analog customers.

I believe that cable companies do not receive local channels as "normal" ota. They use a microwave or landline connection between the broadcast station and the cable company facility. I do not know if they receive these local signals in analog, which they digitize for digital customers or in a digital format, which they convert to analog for their analog customers. Either way, they should have some capability to adjust PQ.

I guess this was a long way around to get to my question. Is the difference in picture quality between local channels and distant channels due to the fact that the distant channels are 'born' digital while the local channels must be converted?

BTW even when the picture from the locals is 'soft' it is still much better than the old analog version.
post #552 of 8529 Old 11-25-2006, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Yes Cox digital is variable.
post #553 of 8529 Old 11-27-2006, 03:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmlobo View Post

BTW even when the picture from the locals is 'soft' it is still much better than the old analog version.

I haven't noticed any difference in PQ with Cox's "digital" locals since the conversion. The audio is better but the local SD (480p) channels are nowhere near the quality of the OTA digitals. I use quotes around "digital" too because the soft and fuzzy Cox video is likely A to D and D to A converted several times at the head end and/or your street tap and converter before it finally gets to your digital TV.
post #554 of 8529 Old 11-27-2006, 03:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Hmmmm. My picture quality does change from day-to-day but only on the locals - especially noticeable on WAVY. I agree with you re. the numerous A to D and D to A conversions impacting the PQ. This was the reason I asked if anyone knew in what format Cox received the locals (A or D).
post #555 of 8529 Old 11-30-2006, 05:51 PM

Just an FYI, there appears to be a bug in the new 2.7 software when using HDMI on, at least, the Sony SXRD XBR2 line. Ever since the upgrade I have been having problems with my 6416 PIII box on my new SXRD. Prior to the update there was no issue, but now whenever I change my input or turn off the TV the cable box resets to 480p. I also no longer have audio over HDMI. Every time I turn on my TV or change back to the cable input, I have to go into the settings and change it back to 1080i. I have three HD DVRs in the house and I tested this on all three boxes to make sure it wasn't a faulty cable box. This problem showed up on all three boxes. I contacted Cox, they didn't have any answers, They said that they would send an email to some other department and they wanted to send out a tech. I told them I didn't need a tech, what the hell were they going to do. I know what the problem is, the software. At any rate, I thought I'd throw this out there in case anyone else is having problems.
post #556 of 8529 Old 12-01-2006, 03:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob13654 View Post

I contacted Cox, they didn't have any answers, They said that they would send an email to some other department and they wanted to send out a tech. I told them I didn't need a tech, what the hell were they going to do. I know what the problem is, the software. At any rate, I thought I'd throw this out there in case anyone else is having problems.

Cox really needs a genuine help desk. Their knee jerk reaction to everything is to send a tech to your house, usually an installer to swap out the box. When I first got Cox digital I used five days of vacation time waiting for Cox installers to fix a problem that turned out to be a bad fiber connection at some neighborhood distribution point. Six out of ten times they showed up late and I made them credit $30 late guarantee. I think they dropped that policy.
post #557 of 8529 Old 12-01-2006, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

We still have the $20 OTG policy & we do have a valid tech support but the issue you run into in my opinion is the techs sometimes don't know where to go next when they don't find the initial problem. That issue for instance the initial tech 9 out of 10 times won't find & will have to send it to a maintenance tech. Usually the problem is only 1 person calling it in doesn't really lead to us knowing there is an area issue.

The reason the tech is offered is we need to make sure everything is connected correctly & with many customers it isn't. A new tv is bought & its moved. Now the people on here are light years beyond the average customer. I know the dept that they emailed & that was the right step. If they have a fix for the problem you will be contacted & the trouble call cancelled. If I can be of any help just give me a hollar.

Occasio Gee
www.occasiogee.com

post #558 of 8529 Old 12-04-2006, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Usually the problem is only 1 person calling it in doesn't really lead to us knowing there is an area issue.

That is exactly right. No one else on my street was bitching so they kept sending installers to my house to find a problem that didn't exist. I got all kinds of good stuff though....new cable to the street tap. New line amps and splitters etc. After they finally (accidently) fixed the fiber node everyone on my street was thanking me. One neighbor said he didn't think there were any channels above 60. He had never been able to receive any and just thought that was normal.
post #559 of 8529 Old 12-07-2006, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hi, I'm new on the forum. Did anyone else lose INHD1 on Cox tonight? I planned my evening around watching the Browns and Steelers but it looks like it won't happen. I called customer service twice. They sent signals which they said wouldn't process. I still just get a message on channel 795 that says "To subscribe to INDEMAND HD please call customer service at 757-222-2388." INHD2 and all the other HD channels come in fine. The best Cox can do for me is to send a technician to my house Sunday afternoon.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
post #560 of 8529 Old 12-07-2006, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I think that was only right before the kick-off. I'm guessing it has to do with the switch to from INHD to NFL network.

Occasio Gee
www.occasiogee.com

post #561 of 8529 Old 12-07-2006, 09:41 PM
D2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye911 View Post

Did anyone else lose INHD1 on Cox tonight? I still just get a message on channel 795 that says "To subscribe to INDEMAND HD please call customer service at 757-222-2388."

Yeah, it was the same for me. I rebooted the box which was no help. The channel started working again only after the guide info switched off of "NFL Football" - sometime after 11pm.
post #562 of 8529 Old 12-07-2006, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by D2C View Post

Yeah, it was the same for me. I rebooted the box which was no help. The channel started working again only after the guide info switched off of "NFL Football" - sometime after 11pm.

Same here, it started working again after the game was over. Maybe its because I don't subscribe to the NFL network. I got the game last Thursday night though.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
post #563 of 8529 Old 12-08-2006, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah if you don't subscribe to NFL network the game was blacked out, but it was out for everyone for a few minutes.

Occasio Gee
www.occasiogee.com

post #564 of 8529 Old 12-08-2006, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Strange, I watched about 10 minutes of the game in INHD around 9:00 or so.
post #565 of 8529 Old 12-09-2006, 07:03 PM

I lost it as well. Classic customer service: "we have no idea, must be on your end."

I told them that if they sent a signal, and erased my DVR, like has happened TWICE in the last 4 months, I was going to get DirecTV. Unbelievable.
post #566 of 8529 Old 12-09-2006, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

wow first post & its a complaint. Answer me this anyone who didn't get the game in HD do you get channel 224? If you don't get channel 224 you won't get the game on 795.

Occasio Gee
www.occasiogee.com

post #567 of 8529 Old 12-10-2006, 05:09 AM

Well, I probably shouldn't have complained on my first post, but this really got me. I have lurked for some time, but never found the need to post. I love HD.
But my complaint this time has nothing to do with not getting the game. I didn't particularly care I didn't get the game. I cared that when a channel disappeared, no one at Cox knew why. All they wanted to do was "send a strong signal" to my box. As can probably be determined by my last post, twice now I have had "strong signals" sent to my box, and the signal has wiped my entire DVR- all recorded shows, and my entire set of season passes. It was like coming home to a new box. Cox's solution, after speaking to roughly 6 people each time, was to give me one day of credit on my account. Well, my wife and I don't usually watch much TV during the week, we store stuff on the DVR. I had about a month's worth of TV stored each time- gone. The first time it was wiped I was told that the tech inadvertently sent a signal that was a "bit" too strong. The second time, they told me that the signal that was sent was inadvertently sent to me- I wasn't even calling or asking for a signal, just someone sitting there accidently blasted me. SO... long story short, when my INHD 1 went down, and I call, and I am told that there is no explanation but they think they should just shoot a "signal" at my box, after I have had my DVR wiped twice by "signals," then I subsequently find out it was merely a contractual blackout... I get miffed.
Apologies.
post #568 of 8529 Old 12-10-2006, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Isn't there a way to backup what is on your DVR? It seems that many people with DVR's cable and dish have this problem when they have problems with the DVR or the service. Seems to me that the technology is not solid and if I had one, I'd find a way to back up the data. Well, upon reflection I have to ask if it is legal to do backups.
post #569 of 8529 Old 12-10-2006, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm gonna PM you my personal number (when I get the new one), ANYONE ELSE WHO HAS MY NUMBER IT IS CHANGING. There are 3 types of signals and one of them purposely erases the DVR.

Just want everyone know I'm opening a new office in Greenbrier mall next week. That means new hot spot & new payment kiosk both open mall hours.

Great question Robert. Thats been in discussion recently & I think legal is looking into it.

Occasio Gee
www.occasiogee.com

post #570 of 8529 Old 12-10-2006, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertawillisjr View Post

Isn't there a way to backup what is on your DVR? It seems that many people with DVR's cable and dish have this problem when they have problems with the DVR or the service. Seems to me that the technology is not solid and if I had one, I'd find a way to back up the data. Well, upon reflection I have to ask if it is legal to do backups.

From what I've read on other posts, this is easily acheived with the Motorola boxes. One could hook up an external SATA drive to back up and/or expand hard drive space. Cox has chosen to disable this feature as well as all the other connectivity ports on the box. The only one available is the firewire port, but with almost all channels 5C encrypted, it is useless as well.

I would love to buy a 500 GB SATA drive and have 100s of hours of storage space (200+ hours?) Then, if I ever have a "box failure" I could simply get a new one and still have all my shows on the external drive.

PS
Thanks for all the great posts Occasio!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page