Norfolk, VA - Cox - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 8529 Old 09-13-2004, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was told the HD PVR is scheduled at the end of Nov. I sure hope it has firewire active like my Moto 6200 so I can archive to Dvhs.

I want Fox, ABC and Starz HD and I'll be happy. Screw CBS and NBC, their programming sucks. Take a wild guess why I want ABC? Three letters, MNF!

24 in HD in January......Hurry up COX!!!!!

lilsteveo

"The Following Message has been formatted to fit your screen"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 8529 Old 09-15-2004, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter

Lilsteveo you forgot TNTHD. Also I went to the Cox web site and they are now advertising for the HD DVR and also have a sign up.
post #33 of 8529 Old 09-17-2004, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter

Cox should of add an OTA tuner in the DVR so that you could pick up all the local stations in HD OTA for free until Cox can work out a deal with the local affiliates.
post #34 of 8529 Old 02-27-2005, 07:55 AM

So any new info on when we'll get more local HD channels on Cox?
post #35 of 8529 Old 06-24-2005, 04:29 AM

I'm also very dissatisfied that Cox has not offered anything new since they started offering HD except some stupid Universal channel. I was just wondering if there is any new info out for more channels to come. Football is right around the corner and I'm seriously considering moving on.
post #36 of 8529 Old 06-24-2005, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I am told (reliable source) that Cox is trying to sort things out. New HD stations should be added by fall. I couldn't get any information about locals....
post #37 of 8529 Old 06-28-2005, 10:58 PM
Advanced Member

It would be GREAT if Cox could start carrying HDNET. The rest of the HD locals would be nice too, especially that football will be on different stations this year.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"-Arthur C. Clarke
post #38 of 8529 Old 08-17-2005, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Not used in a while so here is a bump.
post #39 of 8529 Old 08-17-2005, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter

Well I signed back up with Cox after Voom went dark. I was told by a Cox CSR that they will be adding NBC and Fox to their Hd line up by end of summer. Well summer ends in two weeks. Has anyone heard a rumor if more local HD is going to added at the end of this month??

I went ahead and reconnected my OTA antenna and Voom receiver so that I can get ALL locals in HD OTA. Football is around the corner!!
post #40 of 8529 Old 08-17-2005, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmykce View Post

Well I signed back up with Cox after Voom went dark. I was told by a Cox CSR that they will be adding NBC and Fox to their Hd line up by end of summer. Well summer ends in two weeks. Has anyone heard a rumor if more local HD is going to added at the end of this month??

I went ahead and reconnected my OTA antenna and Voom receiver so that I can get ALL locals in HD OTA. Football is around the corner!!

In February 2004 they told me the same thing (late Spring '04). Hooking up your Voom receiver for OTA was the right move. Cox could force the issue by going all digital which will probably happen some day anyway. No guarantee they would get an HD feed though. Everything will probably be 480p like their current digital tier.
post #41 of 8529 Old 08-17-2005, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Not to be making too fine a point, the end of my summer is Aug 29 but summer officiall has some ways to go. I would be pleasantly supprised to see NBC and Fox onboard by the start of the Fall TV season. I hope that your information is correct. I could just about toss my OTA receiver.
post #42 of 8529 Old 08-17-2005, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertawillisjr View Post

Not used in a while so here is a bump.

Well, I finally found this COX forum. However, from the look at previous postings it doesn't get much activity (only 2 pages in 2 years).

I seem to be in the same boat as all your other posters. I still have my Voom Box connected and picking up all the local OTA channels. I have also had the Cox DVR for about two months now. Its certainly not Voom, but certainly better than nothing.

I have difficulty getting any technical details about the DVR from the local COX support personnel. Has anyone found any local or national forum just for the DVR?

For example, I am planning to take my vacation at the end of August, and want to take my DVR box -- loaded with some great recorded HD programs to share with my family in Georgia and Alabama. No one can tell me if the box will even work if its unplugged from the local COX cable for a week or more. I don't expect to use it to get live cable programs in my relative's homes (none of them have Cox anyway), I just want to playback my recordings.

Does anyone know if the box will function after being unplugged for days?

Byron
post #43 of 8529 Old 08-19-2005, 03:35 AM - Thread Starter

TByronT:

That is a good question. I would think it would because the programs are stored on the harddrive inside the DVR. I would try unplugging the coaxial cable from your DVR at home and than try watching something you recorded on your DVR before I go on the vacation.
post #44 of 8529 Old 08-24-2005, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TByronT View Post

Well, I finally found this COX forum. However, from the look at previous postings it doesn't get much activity (only 2 pages in 2 years).

I seem to be in the same boat as all your other posters. I still have my Voom Box connected and picking up all the local OTA channels. I have also had the Cox DVR for about two months now. Its certainly not Voom, but certainly better than nothing.

I have difficulty getting any technical details about the DVR from the local COX support personnel. Has anyone found any local or national forum just for the DVR?

For example, I am planning to take my vacation at the end of August, and want to take my DVR box -- loaded with some great recorded HD programs to share with my family in Georgia and Alabama. No one can tell me if the box will even work if its unplugged from the local COX cable for a week or more. I don't expect to use it to get live cable programs in my relative's homes (none of them have Cox anyway), I just want to playback my recordings.

Does anyone know if the box will function after being unplugged for days?

Byron

Although this doesn't have an exact answer to your question, here is a 6412 FAQ that was done by an AVSForum member, moyekj.

http://replayguide.sourceforge.net/d..._Passport.html

As far as your question about taking the box on vacation, I don't think it will work. When the Passport software boots up, I think it has to contact Cox before it will actually fully complete.
post #45 of 8529 Old 08-24-2005, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebowsky View Post

Although this doesn't have an exact answer to your question, here is a 6412 FAQ that was done by an AVSForum member, moyekj.

Gee, thanks! That's a lot of information that I really wanted. I even e-mailed this link to the Cox support people locally so they could learn something too.

Well, I called Cox cable DVR support this afternoon and they agree that taking the DVR box "out of state" would not work. Apparently the firmware that controls playback of recorded files does depend on the Cox cable signal for verification. He said I could take it next door, or across town, and then hook it to a Cox cable, and that would allow me to share the recordings. However, if I went where there was no compatible Cox signal, even playback would fail.

I pointed out that a lot of people are going to be very disappointed when the next hurricane hits, their Cox cable goes out for a few days, and they can't even playback programs they originally recorded on their DVR.

Sounds like there was more "political" engineering involved with the design of this box, and its firmware, than this old engineer can really appreciate. I design software and firmware for a living, and I hope I never have to add such a "political" feature to my company's products.

Byron Thomas
post #46 of 8529 Old 08-26-2005, 04:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TByronT View Post

I pointed out that a lot of people are going to be very disappointed when the next hurricane hits, their Cox cable goes out for a few days, and they can't even playback programs they originally recorded on their DVR.Byron Thomas

I'm sure the Cox VPs will be losing a lot of sleep over this.
post #47 of 8529 Old 09-02-2005, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Well summer is over and NO more local HD channels have been added to their line up. However, I heard that Cox might be adding TNTHD by September 23, 2005. Have to wait and see if this rumor is true. They still need to get ALL the locals in Hampton Roads added to their HD service like in Northern VA and other localities.
post #48 of 8529 Old 09-02-2005, 11:03 PM
Advanced Member

I agree. This mexican standoff has gone on way too long. I had to buy a Voom box just to see the Skins in HD.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"-Arthur C. Clarke
post #49 of 8529 Old 09-03-2005, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I received e-mail yesterday. Cox will be adding TNTHD 9/22. No additional locals. Fees increased about $3.00 overall.

It is all about the $$$'s. No one seems to be bending. I have been told that discussions are fitfully continuing.

Well, I have plenty of books and lots of music.
post #50 of 8529 Old 09-03-2005, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertawillisjr View Post

I received e-mail yesterday. Cox will be adding TNTHD 9/22. No additional locals. Fees increased about $3.00 overall.

It is all about the $$$'s. No one seems to be bending. I have been told that discussions are fitfully continuing.

Well, I have plenty of books and lots of music.

Why the hell are their fees going up for only one HD channel? Now if they added the remaining locals than I could see a price raise, but not for only one dam channel.
post #51 of 8529 Old 09-04-2005, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Well it is a monopoly and cable companies have been doing this for years. I can't speak to satelite prices since I've never subscribed.
post #52 of 8529 Old 09-04-2005, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Great, TNTHD, another waste of bandwidth. Im sick of these channels not showing movies in OAR. If anyone from Cox is reading this: WE WANT ALL THE HD LOCALS!!! WE WANT HDNET!!! IM PAYING $139 A MONTH AND YOU WANT MORE?

post #53 of 8529 Old 09-06-2005, 03:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shugazer9 View Post

Great, TNTHD, another waste of bandwidth. Im sick of these channels not showing movies in OAR. If anyone from Cox is reading this: WE WANT ALL THE HD LOCALS!!! WE WANT HDNET!!! IM PAYING $139 A MONTH AND YOU WANT MORE?

I agree I want ALL MY LOCALS in HD!!!

I think Cox isn't going to be adding any more local HD channels until all stations stop broadcasting the anolog signal.
post #54 of 8529 Old 09-06-2005, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

It is all about the Benjamins. Unfortunately, HD only brings in Washingtons.
post #55 of 8529 Old 09-09-2005, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

When is Cox going to add ESPN2HD?? Its already on DirectTV!!

Cox is still fighting with the remain local channels for HD. Cox doesn't wan't to pay/air all the subchannels (like13.2, 13.3, 13.4, 10.2, etc) from what I have heard/read on forums.
post #56 of 8529 Old 09-09-2005, 02:03 PM

Does anyone really care about the subchannels? I'll just tune in with my antenna if I want to look at the radar. It seems like every major metro area Cox serves has all local HD channels on them except ours. Wow TNTHD!!!!! Now I can have another Cox HD channel I won't watch. I can honestly say the only time I've ever watched TNT is NASCAR and the odd basketball game.
post #57 of 8529 Old 09-10-2005, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah. TNTHD is underwhelming. Of all the alternatives, this one is low on my totem pole.

As far as subchannel use, I think the Richmond CBS will start a music channel of some sort using one of its subchannels.
post #58 of 8529 Old 09-12-2005, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

We need to start emailing Cox about local HD channels and to get them added. They keep raising their prices than they should be able to get ALL LOCAL HD signal to the customers.
post #59 of 8529 Old 09-21-2005, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter

Well I guess Cox will be adding TNTHD tomorrow at 12am.

When are they going to get more local in HD???
post #60 of 8529 Old 09-21-2005, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmykce View Post

Well I guess Cox will be adding TNTHD tomorrow at 12am.

When are they going to get more local in HD???

Oh boy! More Law and Order reruns. Can't wait. Cox already has a L&O HD channel; Universal HD. I've never watched Buffy. Maybe I'll start.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page