Norfolk, VA - Cox - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 8572 Old 01-02-2007, 04:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Awesome. So now, I have to choose whether I want my TIVO, or I want HBO. Why would Cox scramble the signal? What is the point, other than to require me to rent a box?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 8572 Old 01-02-2007, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cancel View Post

Why would Cox scramble the signal?

Maybe cause it's a premium channel, and you've been getting it "illegally"?

Quote:

What is the point, other than to require me to rent a box?

Ya think? Probably the main reason why they want to go all-digital.
post #633 of 8572 Old 01-02-2007, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecomingLumberg View Post

I might pay a good sum of money to come to a Cox Marketing meeting. Sometimes, it feels that they have considered every angle except what their customers would like (I would gladly pay an extra $5 to get my locals in HD).

I wouldn't pay extra. I would sell INHD1 and ESPN2 back for NBC and FOX.
post #634 of 8572 Old 01-02-2007, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitude View Post

Not until the NFL network stops broadcasting games, since the HD version is on INHD1.
post #635 of 8572 Old 01-02-2007, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Heck yes...a la carte programming.

Imagine going to the grocery store, and being forced to buy $300 worth of food, most of which you don't like and won't eat!
post #636 of 8572 Old 01-02-2007, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
What if that $300 was normally $500 worth of food. And what you would eat of it would cost you $300. So admittedly there are $200 of food you wouldn't eat but maybe you would like to try something new every now & then.

OK that was a crazy analogy, but I think you get my point.

------------------------------------
Occasio Gee
www.occasiogee.com

post #637 of 8572 Old 01-02-2007, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Price increase? A welcome surprise.

I looked at my bill & few friends bills today to see how the price changes affected everyone. It's funny I see increases from $1 to -$6. It's crazy, with the new tax changes majority of my friends bills went down. Have you guys seen that too.

Occasio Gee
www.occasiogee.com

post #638 of 8572 Old 01-02-2007, 11:16 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat123 View Post

If you have HBO, you must use a cable box to decode it now. I thought Cox scrambled channel 21 like a year ago.

I live in lower York County and have received and still receive(as of 2 minutes ago) HBO on channel 21 unscrambled for 5-6 years now and I don't use a cable box. And yes, I do pay the $12.00/month for HBO. I was amazed to discover how easy it would be to bypass Cox's scrambling of HBO. The tech came out and removed a scrambling module(for lack of a better term) from my cable. Because the id tags on the cables were so worn, the tech was glad that I was home, because he took an educated guess, removed one module, and had me check to see if I had HBO. He said if I had been out, he would have removed all the modules in the ground level box(the wiring in my neighborhood is below ground) and 5-7 of my neighbors would have started getting HBO for free.

I had always thought that when they came out to unscramble HBO for people, that they were installing a descrambling module...not removing a scrambling one.

Danny
post #639 of 8572 Old 01-03-2007, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertawillisjr View Post

Not until the NFL network stops broadcasting games, since the HD version is on INHD1.

Yeah and since we're on this subject- this really chaps my ass! For three years I've been paying each month for what is essentially an HD programming loop on INHD1 and INHD2 (c'mon now...a show about the sunrise??). Now Cox finally puts something on INHD1 that I would actually watch (NFL) and they black it out.
post #640 of 8572 Old 01-03-2007, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkhome View Post

Maybe cause it's a premium channel, and you've been getting it "illegally"?

Ya think? Probably the main reason why they want to go all-digital.

Well, no. I pay extra every month for HBO. Now I am still paying extra, but am not receiving HBO. That somehow strikes me as... wrong?
post #641 of 8572 Old 01-03-2007, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah and since we're on this subject- this really chaps my ass! For three years I've been paying each month for what is essentially an HD programming loop on INHD1 and INHD2 (c'mon now...a show about the sunrise??). Now Cox finally puts something on INHD1 that I would actually watch (NFL) and they black it out.

They blacked out a game??
post #642 of 8572 Old 01-03-2007, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post

Yes, and more than once. Technically speaking, I believe they commandeered the HD bandwidth used for a channel I am paying for (INHD1) and used it for the PPV NFL network. To me though it is simply a matter of my paying for something I didn't get.
post #643 of 8572 Old 01-03-2007, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post

If you don't get the SD version of the NFL network, you won't get the INHD version of the NFL Network's game.

My gripe with using INHD for the NFL Network games is this: I set my DVR to record the Vikings game a couple weeks back beacuse I was going to be home late from work AND I like to fast forward through the commercials.

It seems the DVR started recording like usual at 8pm, but Cox did not switch the signal until 8:01pm. When the signal switched, my DVR stopped recording. Actually, it continued recording, but would not let me watch past the point of the switch-over. I couldn't watch my way though it, or fast forward either. I could tune to the channel and watch the game live just fine. I could also record the game just fine AFTER the switch-over. How do I know? -- because the DVR recorded several INHD commercials until it locked up. Imagine my surprise when I turned on the DVR at 9:30 only to find out it hadn't recorded AT ALL. Cox should switch the channel a minute or two ahead of time OR fix their technology so it doesn't kill the DVR recording.

I'm still fuming over that one.
post #644 of 8572 Old 01-03-2007, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Great point mat I'll make sure they are aware of it. That's a national thing I believe & not on the cox end.

Occasio Gee
www.occasiogee.com

post #645 of 8572 Old 01-03-2007, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by occasio View Post

What if that $300 was normally $500 worth of food .

Sounds like grocery shopping at Costco. Only you would need a trailer in the driveway to store all that stuff.

Quote:

OK that was a crazy analogy, but I think you get my point.

LOL. no more than mine.

Seriously though, I sometimes wonder how much programming cost the average consumer is going to take. If every SD channel out there decides that they need more $$$ to go HD, what's our monthly bill going to look like 10 years from now?
post #646 of 8572 Old 01-03-2007, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, no. I pay extra every month for HBO. Now I am still paying extra, but am not receiving HBO. That somehow strikes me as... wrong?

In that case I agree!
post #647 of 8572 Old 01-03-2007, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Anybody else here using a cable card?. I am becoming increasing frustrated at night, analog channels freeze up, they look like OTA channels when receiving a weak signal. I went into the diagnostics menu on my TV, the channels become "unlocked" and error codes go from 50's up to 230+. It appears to be a weak signal.

This only happens on the old analog channels not any of the HD channels. Does Verizon do cable cards?

When I switch over to my DVR, no cable card, non-digital, the problem goes away.

I love this HD stuff!
post #648 of 8572 Old 01-03-2007, 08:49 AM

Quote:

Yes, and more than once. Technically speaking, I believe they commandeered the HD bandwidth used for a channel I am paying for (INHD1) and used it for the PPV NFL network. To me though it is simply a matter of my paying for something I didn't get.

I agree - not fair business practice, but am not surprised.
post #649 of 8572 Old 01-03-2007, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Well Lin made the move with Verizon, let's see what Cox's reaction is. God I love the game of chess.

Occasio Gee
www.occasiogee.com

post #650 of 8572 Old 01-03-2007, 12:00 PM

Quote:

My gripe with using INHD for the NFL Network games is this: I set my DVR to record the Vikings game a couple weeks back beacuse I was going to be home late from work AND I like to fast forward through the commercials.

It seems the DVR started recording like usual at 8pm, but Cox did not switch the signal until 8:01pm. When the signal switched, my DVR stopped recording. Actually, it continued recording, but would not let me watch past the point of the switch-over. I couldn't watch my way though it, or fast forward either. I could tune to the channel and watch the game live just fine. I could also record the game just fine AFTER the switch-over. How do I know? -- because the DVR recorded several INHD commercials until it locked up. Imagine my surprise when I turned on the DVR at 9:30 only to find out it hadn't recorded AT ALL. Cox should switch the channel a minute or two ahead of time OR fix their technology so it doesn't kill the DVR recording.

The exact same thing happened to me with those last 2 games. I'm with you man... I'm still pissed about it, especially because I re-subscribed to the nfl network just so I could watch those games on inhd. So, instead of paying a few bucks to watch the games in HD, I paid a few bucks to miss the games completely.
post #651 of 8572 Old 01-03-2007, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I wish you guys had said something to me sooner about the DVR issue. Now that the NFL games are over fixing it won't due much good until next year. I'll still make sure that everyone who needs to knows about the problem to correct it.

Occasio Gee
www.occasiogee.com

post #652 of 8572 Old 01-03-2007, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wish you guys had said something to me sooner about the DVR issue. Now that the NFL games are over fixing it won't due much good until next year....

Isn't this the leaky roof philosophy -as long as the sun is shining...
post #653 of 8572 Old 01-03-2007, 01:01 PM

Quote:

I wish you guys had said something to me sooner about the DVR issue. Now that the NFL games are over fixing it won't due much good until next year. I'll still make sure that everyone who needs to knows about the problem to correct it.

honestly, i had no idea what was causing the freeze. i just thought my box was jacked up. i was ready to exchange it. either way, this was all after the fact so i pretty much felt helpless.

regardless, thanks man! it's good to know that you're here to help!
post #654 of 8572 Old 01-03-2007, 04:00 PM

Quote:

Well Lin made the move with Verizon, let's see what Cox's reaction is. God I love the game of chess.

The question is do you think that Cox will do anything?
post #655 of 8572 Old 01-03-2007, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I think there were some meetings going on today of course so you never know what they think of this move.

Occasio Gee
www.occasiogee.com

post #656 of 8572 Old 01-03-2007, 04:55 PM

I just hope that they don't discount the move because of the limited avaliability of FIOS at this time. Better for them to take their lumps now then risk losing more and more customers as the FIOS rollout gains momentum.
post #657 of 8572 Old 01-03-2007, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob13654 View Post

I just hope that they don't discount the move because of the limited avaliability of FIOS at this time. Better for them to take they lumps now then risk losing more and more customers as the FIOS rollout gains steam.

Eventually, FiOS will be a player in Hampton Roads. It's just a matter of time. So will DirecTV and it's HD locals-in-local. Right now, FiOS isn't even a blip on the radar and DirecTV's HDLIL for Hampton Roads as missed its deadline for rollout...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: editor@VARTV.com
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

post #658 of 8572 Old 01-03-2007, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VARTV View Post

Eventually, FiOS will be a player in Hampton Roads. It's just a matter of time. So will DirecTV and it's HD locals-in-local. Right now, FiOS isn't even a blip on the radar and DirecTV's HDLIL for Hampton Roads as missed its deadline for rollout...

Believe me, I understand that FIOS is not a competitor yet and I'm aware of the D* issues as well. What angers me is that FIOS, within a week of rolling out service, has been able to put together a deal that Cox hasn't or wouldn't in over 3 years. I find it very telling about Cox, as the monopoly cable player in the market, that they are not the first to offer these services. Obviously a deal could have been put together much sooner as Vz was able to do it within a week of launch. Cox has been far too complacent for far too long. A company that has been granted, basically, a monopoly should never have to react to the market they should be leading it. Unfortunately, as we can see with this simple issue, that is not the case.
post #659 of 8572 Old 01-04-2007, 05:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
wow, a Few days ago ESPN-U appeared on my line up (Ch 232), wasnt there Jan 2nd.. so...

Skate Zilla
-----------
Skate Zilla HD Studios - VA Beach, VA
post #660 of 8572 Old 01-04-2007, 05:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:

I Had this problem recording from any station for a while, dunno what causes it, but i had my box set to record all teh stargates one day, and when i went to watch on, the entire 1 hours bar was green, half way thru it paused, so i rewound it and played, paused on the same frame, then rewound it again and tried to fastforward thru it and it wouldnt let me, the only thing i didnt try was the 15 minute skip buttons (when Fast Forwarding press Dpad Right etc)

Skate Zilla
-----------
Skate Zilla HD Studios - VA Beach, VA
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page