Forum Jump: 

post #8551 of 8561 Old 11-11-2014, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by VARTV View Post
I watch them OTA and via DirecTV. It's not the best HD...
There's no reason for them to limit bandwidth OTA. WVEC-TV HD feed of WorldNews Tonight is unwatchable on Cox, it looks like someone used paint mode in Photoshop, similar to the COX/WAVY feed of NBC Nightly News. Only CBS Evening News looks anything close to native resolution. This is not the case in Charlottesville for Comcast feeds so I wonder if this is some artifact of SDV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8552 of 8561 Old 11-11-2014, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8vsb4me View Post
There's no reason for them to limit bandwidth OTA.

Sure there is. After error correction, they are limited to about 18 Mbps for their OTA feed. This in itself is a compressed signal. Plus, they spend more bandwidth on their -2 signal, "Bounce TV." C or Ku-band digital feeds have more than twice that data throughput.
post #8553 of 8561 Old 11-12-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post
Sure there is. After error correction, they are limited to about 18 Mbps for their OTA feed. This in itself is a compressed signal. Plus, they spend more bandwidth on their -2 signal, "Bounce TV." C or Ku-band digital feeds have more than twice that data throughput.
Quote:
There's no reason for them to limit bandwidth OTA. WVEC-TV HD feed of WorldNews Tonight is unwatchable on Cox, it looks like someone used paint mode in Photoshop, similar to the COX/WAVY feed of NBC Nightly News. Only CBS Evening News looks anything close to native resolution. This is not the case in Charlottesville for Comcast feeds so I wonder if this is some artifact of SDV?
WAVY does give a lot (relatively speaking) to Bounce (10-2). Ever watch it? It has weird artifacts... picture smears every few seconds and really should look way better than it does. Maybe just old equipment??

WVEC is doing three streams... that can't help.

WTKR is doing 17+ Mbps to its picture...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: editor@VARTV.com
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

post #8554 of 8561 Old 11-12-2014, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
"WVEC is doing three streams... that can't help.

WTKR is doing 17+ Mbps to its picture... "

All of that correlates with what I see: WVEC's ABC network news feed looks the worst, followed by WAVY. WTKR/CBS is pristine with subtle flesh tones and no pixelation or breakup, compared to WAVY/NBC which literally looks like a cartoon. If this is the future cancel my subscription.
post #8555 of 8561 Old 11-12-2014, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
"WVEC is doing three streams... that can't help.

WTKR is doing 17+ Mbps to its picture... "

All of that correlates with what I see: WVEC's ABC network news feed looks the worst, followed by WAVY. WTKR/CBS is pristine with subtle flesh tones and no pixelation or breakup, compared to WAVY/NBC which literally looks like a cartoon. If this is the future cancel my subscription.
I think 10 is the worse...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: editor@VARTV.com
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

post #8556 of 8561 Old 11-16-2014, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
So... I give Cox a 5 Star Rating...
Walk into JANAF Cox Center, to switch the account name to mine from my fathers and return his DVR, (he passed away a few weeks back, and he had his own DVR for his TV Shows).
with a $250/Month Bill which included Preferred Internet , Ultimate TV (All Premium channels) and 2 DVR Units.

Walked out with a $180 Bill, Which included The Same Ultimate TV (All Premium Channels), A Single DVR, The Highest Level Internet Package, a Free Modem/Router Combo (ubee dvw326), Digital Telephone Service. (Seems the battery was missing from the box, but I have it plugged into it's own APC Unit anyway)

So took off $70 from the old Bill, upgraded to the highest internet package they have, got new modem and router to replace old ones, and Cox Telephone which allows me to cancel the Vonage account and transfer the number to my Cox account (Which also saves me $40 a month).

The modem/router Combo is bigger than my Xbox 360 lol.

But at least Modem, Router and Phone box are now all a single unit instead of having a Modem, 2 routers and a Vonage Box all stacked on the shelf.

Also, During the last week or so, I've replaced the Lines with a Single 100ft Line, 3GHz Adapter to connect the service Drop to the new line, a Single 4 Way Splitter (To DVR, Modem, Back of HDTV, and 4th Lead Capped with Terminator Cap). Which has solved all connection and signal issues for the most part (no more un-tunable channels, no more internet drops), the new modem solved the problem with the Connection dropping when opening Steam and letting it update a large game at high speed, and requiring the modem to be reset (unplugged and rebooted).

After we finish cleaning up and re-doing dry wall, I'll likely call and have a truck guy come out and re-install the newer DVR to get the Countour Channels again.
(had a box before, but when it died and we took it to be replaced they didnt have them in the centers anymore only on trucks.)

Speed Test was 227Mbit Down, 45Mbit up in off hours (3AMish) and around 187 Down/29 Up during evening (7PMish).

Skate Zilla
-----------
Skate Zilla HD Studios - VA Beach, VA

Last edited by SkateZilla; 11-16-2014 at 07:43 AM.
post #8557 of 8561 Old Today, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Question Clear QAM

Having to switch from Verizon to Cox for a few months while in an apartment. Trying to save money so am doing Internet with Flex TV. Includes one STB. In my office I am just using clear qam. I'm able to get all the locals except for WVEC. Any ideas why it would not come in while others will?
post #8558 of 8561 Old Today, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kes601 View Post
Having to switch from Verizon to Cox for a few months while in an apartment. Trying to save money so am doing Internet with Flex TV. Includes one STB. In my office I am just using clear qam. I'm able to get all the locals except for WVEC. Any ideas why it would not come in while others will?
what channel is it on the TV's Tuner, I'll Check mine,

I get alot of CATV/SD Channels, but some od the HD DCATV Ones dont come in when using Cable Directly to the TV's DTV Tuner

Skate Zilla
-----------
Skate Zilla HD Studios - VA Beach, VA
post #8559 of 8561 Old Today, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkateZilla View Post
what channel is it on the TV's Tuner, I'll Check mine,

I get alot of CATV/SD Channels, but some od the HD DCATV Ones dont come in when using Cable Directly to the TV's DTV Tuner
Should be 13-1.

Thanks!
post #8560 of 8561 Old Today, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

13-1 works here on myHDTV's tuner.
Its on the CADTV BAND.
post #8561 of 8561 Old Today, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkateZilla View Post
13-1 works here on myHDTV's tuner.
Its on the CADTV BAND.
Thanks, I'll run the channel scan again when we are at the apartment next time. Hopefully it'll locate it next time.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page