Old 12-30-2014, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8vsb4me View Post
That's consistent with what you previously reported for 3-1 (17+Mbps) prior to this new development. Then why is WAVY so lousy on COX with only 1 sub channel?
I "think" it's two things. First, they give Bounce much more bandwidth than WTKR gives to thistv. But secondly, it could be the equipment WAVY is using... older equipment. I watched Bounce for a minute and the PQ is not very good (blurry) for getting all of that bandwidth. Then I switched to thistv. MUCH more sharper picture with almost half the bandwidth. I can easily read the "fine print" on commercials on thistv. No way I could watching Bounce (too blurry)... Whatever WTKR is doing/using, they are doing it right...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: editor@VARTV.com
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2014, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by VARTV View Post
I "think" it's two things. First, they give Bounce much more bandwidth than WTKR gives to thistv. But secondly, it could be the equipment WAVY is using... older equipment. I watched Bounce for a minute and the PQ is not very good (blurry) for getting all of that bandwidth. Then I switched to thistv. MUCH more sharper picture with almost half the bandwidth. I can easily read the "fine print" on commercials on thistv. No way I could watching Bounce (too blurry)... Whatever WTKR is doing/using, they are doing it right...
I guess nothing changes. In the 60s I recall WTAR always had the strongest signal and best picture, while WAVY and especially WVEC were low-budget, backwater stations. The real mystery is who the heck watches these low-rez sub-channels?
Old 12-30-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I guess nothing changes. In the 60s I recall WTAR always had the strongest signal and best picture, while WAVY and especially WVEC were low-budget, backwater stations. The real mystery is who the heck watches these low-rez sub-channels?
If the subchannels can get on Cox, FiOS, Charter, etc, they could potentially get some viewers. Its my understanding that BounceTV is probably the most successful diginet out of all of them. I saw multiple local ads on Bounce when I looked at it an hour ago...

Robert F Corbin

Old 12-30-2014, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I sent an email to WAVY about their HD PQ but according to their Engineer Charles Stutsman they don't see a problem:

"Thank you for contacting WAVY-TV. We have not seen the problem you are referring on our monitors here at the television studio, so I contacted the engineering department at Cox to see if there were other viewers expressing your concern. I was told they have not have any other viewer calls and neither have we. I don’t know from your email if this is an ongoing problem, or if it has happened just once or twice.

I would like to recommend after talking to Cox that you call Cox customer service to have them come and check your cable and your cable box to see if either has developed a problem. They would be in a better position to deal with a cable hardware problem then we would."

Apparently they can only see the problem if they get a sufficient number of complaints.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I sent an email to WAVY about their HD PQ but according to their Engineer Charles Stutsman they don't see a problem:

Apparently they can only see the problem if they get a sufficient number of complaints.
Maybe if he watched Bounce then flipped it over to thistv, he would see the difference. PQ is much sharper on thistv with almost half the bandwidth of Bounce...

Robert F Corbin

Old 01-08-2015, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Noticed on last statement that the new sports pak will have longhorn network added to it soon.

As for CBS and picture quality, I've noticed before that on Cox watching the CBS feed is easiest way to tell if you are having signal problems with your line transmission as it was the one that would fail to lock in while most others stayed viewable.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Contour - how to change from component out to hdmi?

Quick question that seems simple but am not finding the resolution.

I have a Cox Contour (Cisco) box that was originally setup and installed so the component output would feed my Samsung TV. It was done that way because this 8 year old Samsung HD box only had 2 HDMI ports. So I relegated the Cox signal to the Samsung's component input in order to allow my Tivo and BluRay DVD player to connect via the 2 HDMI ports.

I have a new Samsung TV coming later this week that has additional HDMI input ports, so I can now accomodate the Contour via HDMI.

Figured it would be a good idea to test how this needs to be changed over... setting it up with no component output cables, and with an HDMI to my existing Samsung, no go. Cold boot on the Contour = no go. Must be a trick to getting the Contour box to stop using its component output and switch over to its HDMI output?

The pdf file for the updated users manual says run Setup, but that is not working with the box starting up on component, it does not want to switch over.

Wanting to think I am obviously missing some simple step? ( like call for a reset ? Ugh ) Well...late minute thought here, but I'll post anyway. Perhaps having the component connected while the HDMI is also connected.... hmmm... (edit: Nope, that did not work)

Getting old is... well... you know. Sheez!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance!!

Gerry-
Retired Network Janitor

Last edited by turbo327; 01-13-2015 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Make sure your TV is switched to the proper HDMI input. That's the only thing that comes to mind. What model is your DVR?
Old 01-14-2015, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post
Make sure your TV is switched to the proper HDMI input. That's the only thing that comes to mind. What model is your DVR?
Thanks for the assist, looks like I have this figured out now.

The Cox DVR is the Contour /Cisco box. I did find a nuance with my aging Samsung flat screen. It's 2 HDMI ports attempt to make sense of active devices connected, and do not want to linger on an HDMI port that appears 'dead'. Yesterday I connected the HDMI port of the Contour/Cisco box to my Samsung and fortunately found a way to get the Samsung to linger on that port long enough for the rebooting of the Cisco box to 'see' my Samsung TV. It was a kludge but in fact that was the brunt of the issue as you suspected, i.e. the TV would not sit on the port long enough to wait for the Cisco to see it.

Now... it appears the Contour/Cisco box has stored a config indicating its HDMI port can be active, and I can readily switch between TV inputs of component and HDM1-2 and see the Contour/Cisco box output. Suspect I need to disable the component output once I get the new Samsung TV. And hopefully the new Samsung TV will behave a bit different, but at least I've found the work around.

Thanks again!

Gerry-
Old 01-14-2015, 11:11 AM

Those ports can be a bit tricky. When I first had an old moto box, I had it out putting hdmi and component simultaneously. When I tried the home dvr system, plugging into the hdmi port would cancel output via the component connection. Later they must have changed this in an update as eventually it did allow both to output again simultaneously.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo327 View Post
Thanks for the assist, looks like I have this figured out now.

The Cox DVR is the Contour /Cisco box.

Gerry-

All Cisco boxes have a model number on the front panel. On a 8642HDC, it's in the upper right corner. On a 8742HDC or a 9865HDC, it's on the left side above the ON/OFF button. All three DVRs run on the Contour IPG.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:
All Cisco boxes have a model number on the front panel. On a 8642HDC, it's in the upper right corner. On a 8742HDC or a 9865HDC, it's on the left side above the ON/OFF button. All three DVRs run on the Contour IPG.
This one is a 9865HDC. I have not followed the Cisco boxes that Cox has been using. Don't want to hijack my own thread... but boy... I really do not care for the Cisco user interface. Bleck!

A Tivo has been on my setup going back to '99 or 2000 and a Series 1. Boy... do I remember THAT Christmas. Gave it to my sweet wife for a 'family' gift... and she said... yea.. I know you bought this for you. Then 3 weeks later she said it was the best gift I'd ever given to her. Ha!!

Current one is a dual tuner + antenna Tivo 4 Premiere and just cannot fathom how anyone uses the Cox/Cisco interface without lots of gnashing of teeth. We do make good use of the Cisco box for recording some extra viewing, but having just put a new and larger drive in the Premiere... we're good for a while. Guess with 4k down the road... gonna need some more technology in there.

Last edited by turbo327; 01-14-2015 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
This one is a 9865HDC. I have not followed the Cisco boxes that Cox has been using. Don't want to hijack my own thread... but boy... I really do not care for the Cisco user interface. Bleck!

The user interface is not a function of the hardware. It is the function of the firmware/IPG, which is Contour in this case. I have been using Trio/Contour for more than two years. The interface took a little getting used to, but over time it sorta "grew" on me. I hated the 4:3 aspect ratio limitation of the old guide interface.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
The user interface is not a function of the hardware. It is the function of the firmware/IPG, which is Contour in this case. I have been using Trio/Contour for more than two years. The interface took a little getting used to, but over time it sorta "grew" on me. I hated the 4:3 aspect ratio limitation of the old guide interface.
Clearly understand the firmware and UI being part of the Cox offering, was not clearly aware of the Trio legacy till you mentioned it and I looked back on its roots. Thanks. I put many years in the basics of the Cisco IOS, which could really take some getting used to. But with that you had no choice. Guess I lumped this in their column by association. You get used to what is in front of you, nuances and shortcomings both. Tivo and Trio, curiously different for sure.

Gerry-

Retired Network Janitor -
Old 01-16-2015, 02:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

A Tivo has been on my setup going back to '99 or 2000 and a Series 1. Boy... do I remember THAT Christmas. Gave it to my sweet wife for a 'family' gift... and she said... yea.. I know you bought this for you. Then 3 weeks later she said it was the best gift I'd ever given to her. Ha!!

Current one is a dual tuner + antenna Tivo 4 Premiere and just cannot fathom how anyone uses the Cox/Cisco interface without lots of gnashing of teeth. We do make good use of the Cisco box for recording some extra viewing, but having just put a new and larger drive in the Premiere... we're good for a while. Guess with 4k down the road... gonna need some more technology in there.
Just curious, since you are already familiar with, and prefer the TiVo User Interface, why would you not just get a TiVo Roamio Plus or Pro? With an eBay discount code you can get a Roamio Pro - 6 Tuner, 3TB w/ Lifetime Service for $699.99.

It sounds like you may also qualify for the unadvertised, 10 Year Loyalty discount. If you call TiVo and pay full price on the Roamio Plus or Pro and ask for the $99 Lifetime Service they should offer it. There have been many reports of success getting that deal.

The Roamio hardware is so much faster and smoother than the Premiere Series 4 units.

Throw in a TiVo Mini if needed and just stay with the uniform TiVo experience?

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting

Last edited by Bryan_CoxPHX; 01-16-2015 at 02:56 AM.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post
Just curious, since you are already familiar with, and prefer the TiVo User Interface, why would you not just get a TiVo Roamio Plus or Pro? With an eBay discount code you can get a Roamio Pro - 6 Tuner, 3TB w/ Lifetime Service for $699.99.

It sounds like you may also qualify for the unadvertised, 10 Year Loyalty discount. If you call TiVo and pay full price on the Roamio Plus or Pro and ask for the $99 Lifetime Service they should offer it. There have been many reports of success getting that deal.

The Roamio hardware is so much faster and smoother than the Premiere Series 4 units.

Throw in a TiVo Mini if needed and just stay with the uniform TiVo experience?
Bryan,

Thanks for the heads up on this loyalty program. Sure scores multiple hits close to my heart ( and then my wallet... ugh) If I look back at my years of paying $12-14 a month for my Tivo programming subscription I horribly misjudged my investment. The lifetime subscription in 2000 or so was a pittance by comparison. The new Roamio/Plus/Pro are much quicker no doubt and certainly the additional 2-4 tuners, whoa...

I had looked at these about a year ago, and the antenna component goes away after the straight up Roamio with 4 tuners ( IIRC ), and I hesitated over that fact. Should likely reconsider since I am certain I will not relinquish my Tivo any time soon. Hmmm....

Thanks Bryan!! Most excellent suggestion!

Gerry-

Retired Network Janitor -
Old 02-03-2015, 09:19 AM

Anyone know the current details on available channels for the internet connection? After having extreme slowdown problem the other day, I noticed that after rebooting my modem and router that I am only connecting with 2 upstream channels and getting Tier 3 errors on the other 2. Not sure if this is a problem or if they are only running 2 upstreams.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I have 4 upstream channels on my connection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-02-03 at 11.29.00 AM.png
Views:	20
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	522401  
Old Today, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After using a Contour with Whole House DVR (or whatever it's called) for over a year, and running into a snafu - I'm going back to Tivo.
We were out of town for 2 weeks, and, the Contour DVR recorded everything just fine, it was the end of January, so, there were a lot of new/old shows starting backup. When we got back all looked fine, but, after a day we noticed we couldn't record any new things - the current list of what to record was still working, but, we couldn't add to it - got a "due to technical difficulties" message, we couldn't add new recordings, or, record live. After a couple of days of that, I decided to "reset" the DVR by unplugging it and plugging it back in. It looked like it fixed the situation, however, about 20 minutes after doing this, my wife came downstairs saying that there were no recordings available on the Contour upstairs. I checked the one downstairs (the main DVR) and sure enough it had wiped all the recordings as well as the list of shows to record! Months of saved recordings lost, not the end of the world, but, a seriously f*** up scenario. I also noticed at that point that while the DVR indicated it would record shows, it did not in fact do so - it became a simple receiver while indicating it was still a DVR. I had to leave town for a few days, so, I figured I would wait until I got back to deal with this.
On returning home on Saturday, I called Cox, to their credit they sent someone out Sunday AM at 8AM (excellent service IMHO). The Contour DVR was swapped out and service was restored.

Later on I figured I would call Cox Customer service. My faith in their technology was shaken, what good is a DVR that wipes itself, and, a company that says "sorry about that". My call to them was useless, they didn't even apologize for what occurred, just said, oh well.

That said and done, I was tempted to move to Dish or DirecTV, but, that would be a pain. I did however decide to dump their DVR's and go back to Tivo. Tivo is offering an excellent deal, so, it will pay for itself in 6 months, not to mention the better interface etc...

I've always been happy with Cox's customer service, however their lack of response on this scenario is disturbing, who tells a customer "oh well" when told of a major snafu.

Last edited by unixdude; Today at 06:12 PM.