post #91 of 8568 Old 10-19-2005, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyNAVY View Post

We just have the basic $9 package knowing that's all we wanted to have so you can see why plugging in our new HD tuner (hooked up to an HD projector) and finding all these new digital channels was a welcome surprise. I expected only to get HD channels via antenna.

Hope that helps someone.

Well, if you were disappointed with the Cox HD offerings and want some real pain and frustration.... then go buy an antenna!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 8568 Old 10-23-2005, 02:07 PM

flyNavy - What channels can you pick up by putting a tuner on the cox feed? I have a DTV set-top now for OTA but doesn't support QAM, and its and older one (but still has LG chipset). Looking to go to a newer box for better multi-path compensation on OTA and QAM (for cable). I'll be damned if I'm going to give cox any more money since I just have their extended basic no digital plan right now, waiting for Verizon FIOS tv since I have been seeing them laying fiber around here. Verizon is supposed to offer a hell of a lot more HD and the rest for a lot less. Plus, their $50 data plan is like 15down/2up. I know cox has matched that now, but I'm sure the latency is better than DSL on verizon due to the nice fiber dedicated vs. shared.

If I can get more channels on cox w/o paying and increase reliability of OTA that would be cool, but if the channels you pick up suck, I can deal with the small multi-path issues I have with my current receiver. I have'nt and will not pay cox for anything "digital" TV-wise unless they can all together do away with my antenna.

The Dissapointed, Impatient Fan
post #93 of 8568 Old 10-23-2005, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoster View Post

So you knew you needed an antenna, invited guests over to see an HD game without said antenna and let them down. You subscribe to the lowest level Cable package, and then blame this whole thing on Cox?

Your double-speak is wasting my time

Your guests probably thought the same thing yesterday

To be fair, the announcer on the cox commercials says that 1. HD programming is free, and 2. "including you local HD"

You have to look close to see what channel's logos are not present in the background, and also somehow assume that the channels they do offer are free with the rental of their digital box, and some other BS plan.

If indeed the statements of the announcer on the cox commercial were true, technically all locals should be available unencrypted 256QAM, whether they carry them or not. A fair assumption if the game he was trying to watch was on CBS.

Have'nt come across a listing of what exactly can be receieved unencrypted on Cox Hampton Roads via a DTV STB supporting QAM.

Also, the original reason for cable back in the 70's was to do away with antennas. Must-carry laws for analog insure that anything recievable via antenna, must be carried by the local cable provider. The lowest cable plan will give you that in the analog world and has for years. A fair assumption is that it should in the digital world as well. We all know this is not the case, but if all I wanted was the locals, I'm not going to pay more than what I used to pay.

Until then, I've got a big-ol' antenna in my attic, tweaked to the exact angle via coordinates off of antennaweb.org, recieving a multi-path ridden UHF signal that is highly affected by the weather and low-flying helocopters and planes. (Due to the nature of UHF and the way 8VSB works) Otherwise signal is 90%. Oh, and thats when the local affiliates don't have an issue with their transmitters. (Not to mention the feed itself)

Oh, and our love-affair with MPEG-2 screws the image even if you have got a good signal. Nothing out there is software upgradable to MPEG-4 either. HD for the masses will most likely be available about the time we go to the moon again.

post #94 of 8568 Old 10-24-2005, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlingBling420 View Post

To be fair, the announcer on the cox commercials says that 1. HD programming is free, and 2. "including you local HD"

Have'nt come across a listing of what exactly can be receieved unencrypted on Cox Hampton Roads via a DTV STB supporting QAM.

To qualify "free" ....you need to have their digital converter and lowest tier digital service (digital gateway) to get their HD locals. The local HD channels available are PBS and CBS.

Cable has a must carry rule and they do carry all the locals. There is no FCC mandate that they carry HD channels or even digital channels that I am aware of. As long as Cox has a box that will demod and output digital and analog signals they have all the bases covered. Only the broadcasters must go fully digital by 2009. Cable TV won't convert to all digital until their legacy analog equipment is obsolete or until they are forced to by their competitors (satellite) for bandwidth efficiency. That could be years away. Even then they are not obligated to provide you an HD signal. If the local affiliates give them an HD signal they will pass it along. Otherwise it will probably be a 480p.
post #95 of 8568 Old 10-24-2005, 02:41 PM

Quote:

flyNavy - What channels can you pick up by putting a tuner on the cox feed?

Can't remember the specific channels that came in as we are using OTA now and loving it! I do remember that it found over 100 stations, but only about 15-25 were actually broadcasting something. Most of the digital channels were movie channels which surprised me as they were playing fairly recent movies such as Monster In-Law and The Incredibles. Most were in SD resolution though with 5.1 audio so on a 720p projector, the video quality was so-so compared to a DVD of the same movie.

OTA, we are getting about 15-20 digital channels, and of course all of the HD offerings that the networks put out. Hope this helps!
post #96 of 8568 Old 11-06-2005, 10:47 PM
Advanced Member

Iv been having a problem with ESPN-HD the last couple of nights. The audio drops out, usually during commercials. The picture sometimes disappears also. This only seems to happen with ESPN. Anyone else having the same problems?

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"-Arthur C. Clarke
post #97 of 8568 Old 11-07-2005, 04:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shugazer9 View Post

Iv been having a problem with ESPN-HD the last couple of nights. The audio drops out, usually during commercials.

SSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Idiot! There may be Cox people listening. I watched the entire Tech and Redskins game sans commercial audio. This is the most wonderful thing that ever happened to HDTV.
post #98 of 8568 Old 11-07-2005, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Ooops, sorry Digitude! Now that i think about it, it was the Lifetime channel with the audio dropouts.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"-Arthur C. Clarke
post #99 of 8568 Old 11-07-2005, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shugazer9 View Post

Ooops, sorry Digitude! Now that i think about it, it was the Lifetime channel with the audio dropouts.

It was an odd symptom though. I'd lose audio ten seconds into the commercial and then it would return ten seconds prior to return to the games. I never lost video though. Now if we could just talk Cox into adding the commercial killer feature into the rest of their programming.....
post #100 of 8568 Old 11-21-2005, 02:21 PM

Does anyone here have a specific email address for Cox where I can address (ask) specific questions/concerns about their HD service and the Motorola STB, i.e firmware update issues and if there are any efforts to add additional HD channels to the Cox lineup. (Yea I know it's probably all in vain, but I've atleast try.) I have tried the web form method, but the link is broken, errors out when you attempt to submit your questions.
post #101 of 8568 Old 11-22-2005, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sldozier View Post

Does anyone here have a specific email address for Cox where I can address (ask) specific questions/concerns about their HD service and the Motorola STB, i.e firmware update issues and if there are any efforts to add additional HD channels to the Cox lineup. (Yea I know it's probably all in vain, but I've atleast try.) I have tried the web form method, but the link is broken, errors out when you attempt to submit your questions.

Yes it would be all in vain. Two years ago this month Cox told me they were adding HD locals "very soon". Don't waste your time. Firmware updates to the Moto box are automatically pushed. You can go to the Motorola web site and download a pdf file for the full operational manual including hidden setup menus and procedures etc.
post #102 of 8568 Old 11-22-2005, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitude View Post

Yes it would be all in vain. Two years ago this month Cox told me they were adding HD locals "very soon". Don't waste your time. Firmware updates to the Moto box are automatically pushed. You can go to the Motorola web site and download a pdf file for the full operational manual including hidden setup menus and procedures etc.

I understand that going in, but I still need to speak my peace. I do appreciate the info on the Moto box, but I just want someone at Cox to acknowledge an issue I'm having, and to nudge them a little, hopefully with the idea that they will increase the frequency in which they perform firmware updates, which supposedly will fix my issue. Call me optimistic. That being said..if anyone has a direct email address for Cox's HD service tech-support group that they are willing to share, I would be most appreciative.
post #103 of 8568 Old 11-22-2005, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sldozier View Post

I understand that going in, but I still need to speak my peace. I do appreciate the info on the Moto box, but I just want someone at Cox to acknowledge an issue I'm having, and to nudge them a little, hopefully with the idea that they will increase the frequency in which they perform firmware updates, which supposedly will fix my issue. Call me optimistic. That being said..if anyone has a direct email address for Cox's HD service tech-support group that they are willing to share, I would be most appreciative.

Since it is done system wide, Cox won't push a firmware update until they are relatively certain it will fix more problems than it creates.

When I bought the bundled services (phone, HSI, HD etc) I had a lot of installation problems. I called their customer service number and asked for an address to write a bitch letter. They gave me an address in Chesapeake which I don't have anymore (HDD crash). After they got my letter I was assigned a personal Customer Service Advocate, a single point of contact, whom I dealt with on several occasions until they sorted out all of my issues. Just call Cox and ask them where and to whom to write. The CSR had no problem giving me an address right away.
post #104 of 8568 Old 01-03-2006, 02:55 PM

OK, just got a new 50" plasma TV thats got a QAM as well as ATSC. Looks like the following is possible with no cablecard:

HD locals are free, the ones they offer (CBS and PBS), and they exist on 80-1 through 80-6 (OTA eqiv. 3-1, 15-1 though 15-5). CBS I believe has a hard fiber connection to Cox, whereas PBS is recieved at Cox via antenna.--this matters if you are getting bad signal OTA due to a storm, as PBS-HD over cable is not a good backup.

There are a bunch of other stations but they are the unencrypted feeds of someone else getting "on demand". Obviously there must be alot of overhead involved in encrypting "on demand", so they look like they are left in the clear. (Much like how older lodgenet setups do it for hotels if you have ever messed around with getting around that) Pretty cool to see HBO/Showtime/PPV stuff without paying but you never know whats going to be on, and at what time, or if the person is gonna just stop watching right in the middle of something. Most are not showing anything. First night I had the TV, watched Batman Begins for a bit. This stuff is not in HD.

After that there are a couple of Cox advertisement channels for "NBA League pass" and stuff like that.

Channel 109 and all of its subchannels are Music Choice. They are not, however, in the order listed on cox's website, but they are all there.

Lastly, there are a couple of BS shopping networks that are so low-budget its ridiculious.

So, its a bunch of junk basically. Just FYI.

post #105 of 8568 Old 01-04-2006, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK, just got a new 50" plasma TV thats got a QAM as well as ATSC. Looks like the following is possible with no cablecard:

HD locals are free, the ones they offer (CBS and PBS), and they exist on 80-1 through 80-6 (OTA eqiv. 3-1, 15-1 though 15-5). .

Many here, including myself, use the Cox Moto digital converters for HD service. I wasn't aware the Cox offered any HD channels unscrambled but then I have never really looked for HD channels with my QAM tuner either. I presume you intend to use only your built in tuner(s). Why not buy an antenna then to receive all of the other HD locals? Don't waste your money on Cox "premium" HD channels unless you like regurgitated content, Law & Order reruns and other cancelled dramas that barely made it into syndication.
post #106 of 8568 Old 01-04-2006, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitude View Post

Don't waste your money on Cox "premium" HD channels unless you like regurgitated content, Law & Order reruns and other cancelled dramas that barely made it into syndication.

What HD premium channels? You get them all but the pay channels (HBO, SHO, MAX) w/ a HD converter or DVR.

------------------------------------
Occasio Gee
www.occasiogee.com

post #107 of 8568 Old 01-04-2006, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by occasio View Post

What HD premium channels? You get them all but the pay channels (HBO, SHO, MAX) w/ a HD converter or DVR.

He was talking about free local HD channels using his built in QAM cable tuner. I was referring to HD channels you have to pay for. I say "premium" because you have to buy one of Cox's higher priced digital tiers and also lease a converter or cable card. Channels such as Discovery HD, ESPN HD, TNT HD, Universal HD are just chum Cox uses to attract new HDTV buyers. I'm not even sure they qualify as HD since they show mostly reruns of shows that were never originally captured with high definition cameras. A 1995 video taped rerun of Law & Order or Trading Spaces, even presented at 720p, is still not HD. Most of what you see on INHD is genuine hi def but is really boring and repetitive. UHH....Sunrise Earth? Gimme a break!
post #108 of 8568 Old 01-04-2006, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

How many people don't have digital. I have 2 DVR's & a digital. So in the case of having DVR it doesn't cost anything to get the HD. Plus I'm a fan of some of the channels on digital.

Occasio Gee
www.occasiogee.com

post #109 of 8568 Old 01-05-2006, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How many people don't have digital. I have 2 DVR's & a digital. So in the case of having DVR it doesn't cost anything to get the HD. Plus I'm a fan of some of the channels on digital.

Well, I keep the digital tier only for the Starz Encore movie package. I guess their HD offerings are a bonus if you already have the service. A lot of people still subscribe only to basic cable. My brothers both own HDTVs but don't have digital cable. Out of the entire digital tier I watch only three or four channels with any regularity. It is not a good value but I can afford it. Some people just don't want to spend the extra money for digital cable and converters.
post #110 of 8568 Old 01-05-2006, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

I just find it odd when people have expensive TV's but don't have digital. I will admit I love 2 things about it DVR & On Demand (I'm a huge Starz fan too). Digital is what $12 or like $2 when you bundle it up.

Occasio Gee
www.occasiogee.com

post #111 of 8568 Old 01-05-2006, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just find it odd when people have expensive TV's but don't have digital. I will admit I love 2 things about it DVR & On Demand (I'm a huge Starz fan too). Digital is what $12 or like $2 when you bundle it up.

Well my basic cable service was $38 and I didn't need a converter. When I went digital it cost me $52 plus $10 for the converter. That's $288 a year. For an additional $288 I get a bunch of more digital channels I never watch just to get to see some boring stuff in HD. Like I said, if it was only for HD I would drop it but I like the Starz package.
post #112 of 8568 Old 01-05-2006, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

So you have the standard HD converter? Why haven't you switched to the P3 DVR. IMO Pretty sweet box.

Occasio Gee
www.occasiogee.com

post #113 of 8568 Old 01-05-2006, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So you have the standard HD converter? Why haven't you switched to the P3 DVR. IMO Pretty sweet box.

Two reasons. I already own two DVRs, a Panasonic 80 Gig SD DVR and an LG 120 Gig Hi Def DVR. But mainly because there is nothing on Cox I want to record. If Cox had the HD locals I'd probably get one.
post #114 of 8568 Old 01-09-2006, 09:51 AM

Quote:

I presume you intend to use only your built in tuner(s). Why not buy an antenna then to receive all of the other HD locals? Don't waste your money on Cox "premium" HD channels unless you like regurgitated content

Last time I had a talk with a cox tech, they said they will be switching to all digital sometime this year, or beginning '07.

I wonder when they switch to all digital will they leave the current Basic and Extended "in the clear". You would think they would. I don't think you should have to get any of their equipment at all unless you are getting HBO and the like. (Not even a cablecard). But maybe I'm old-school...

I currently am using an antenna for HD and get everything, but turns out good for me with CBS in HD being delievered through Cox, in that CBS seems to be the only one I have problems with dropouts during storms.

Right now, I must admit, the only thing that would get me to get the box from cox, and jack my bill though the ceiling for me, would be if Universal HD simulcast Sci-fi friday, or if Sci-fi comes out with a network of their own.

post #115 of 8568 Old 01-09-2006, 11:00 AM

Quote:

Last time I had a talk with a cox tech, they said they will be switching to all digital sometime this year, or beginning '07.

So, all my ATSC tuner devices will be obsolete? I'll have to go out and get 4 MORE cable boxes for my extra TVs? Or can they broadcast digital over ATSC?
post #116 of 8568 Old 01-09-2006, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Do you mean NTSC?
post #117 of 8568 Old 01-09-2006, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Rule of thumb don't listen to the techs when it comes to the business side.

They'll go digital when its al a cart.

Doesn't direct have a receiver for every room?

Occasio Gee
www.occasiogee.com

post #118 of 8568 Old 01-09-2006, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoster View Post

Do you mean NTSC?

I thought it was ATSC.. Oh well, whatever all my regular "cable-ready" TVs currently are....
post #119 of 8568 Old 01-10-2006, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat123 View Post

I thought it was ATSC.. Oh well, whatever all my regular "cable-ready" TVs currently are....

NTSC=National Television Standards Committee: the old ANALOG standard for transmitting over-the-air broadcasts and cable transmissions (in North and South America and Japan) in 6 mHz wide channels. It has been around for most of my lifetime, but was upgraded in the 1950's to accomodate "compatible" composite color.

ATSC=Advanced Television Standards Committee: the new DIGITAL standard for transmitting over-the-air broadcasts (in North America at least) in channels 6 mHz wide. It can accomodate several SD standards (480i and 480p) and two HD standards (720p and 1080i). Cable companies do not use it because they dislike its ability to transmit 4 programs in one channel, and because they claim its carrier modulation method (8VSB) and data compression method (MPEG2) is non-optimal for cable use.

QAM=Quadrature Amplitude Modulation: the modulation method chosen by most cable companies to stuff DIGITAL (SD or HD) content into selected channels of an otherwise ANALOG cable system. Digital compression can be MPEG2 (now) or MPEG4 (later, if the cable box/card permits). Satellite companies may also use this standard (not sure).
post #120 of 8568 Old 01-10-2006, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The cable companies don't use 8VSB(ATSC) because it's bandwidth is only 19 Mbs where 256QAM is almost 40 Mbs. Satellite is using a combination of QPSK and 8PSK.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page