Sacramento, CA - Comcast - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 4174 Old 11-23-2004, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Frustrating, isn't it? I got really excited when there was an article in the Sacramento Bee, reporting that the DVRs would be rolled out in the next 30 days. The article had an e-mail address to write to, sacramento_dvr@cable.comcast.com, and I even got a reply back the same day. This was October 9, 2003. Subsequent e-mails to that address have gone unanswered.

I can understand the majority of the public doesn't read AVS or know that DVRs have been launched in most Comcast areas already. I can understand that there are always delays, bugs, etc. What I don't understand is who the hell got on this sekrit list, how they did it, and what they know that we don't?

BTW, for representing only a small fraction of users (according to Comcast), there sure is a lot of demand for HD/DVR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 4174 Old 11-23-2004, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
tomtnt:

As of a couple of days ago, which is the last time I looked at it, ESPNH was still unencrypted QAM on Comcast. I do not remember what the channel number was but I think it was in the 70's. I was using an LG LST-4200A to look at it.

Rory
post #273 of 4174 Old 11-23-2004, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rory Boyce
tomtnt:

As of a couple of days ago, which is the last time I looked at it, ESPNH was still unencrypted QAM on Comcast. I do not remember what the channel number was but I think it was in the 70's. I was using an LG LST-4200A to look at it.

Thanks for the info, Rory - I will check again. I can't seem to find it. I have both a Panasonic Plasma with a built in QAM tuner as well as a fusion HDTV card - I do have some channels in the 70s, but can't find the damn ESPN channel..

can someone please check for me who has a QAM channel, what the exact number/frequency for ESPN is???

thanks
post #274 of 4174 Old 11-24-2004, 05:40 PM

So does anyone have a Mits with an integrated ATSC and QAM tuners?

I ask because I have both ATSC tuner and QAM. But there is only one input ANT/DTV on my set. If I wanted to input both cable without a set top, unscrambled QAM and OTA antenna, can you merge these via a diplexer and have one input to the TV? They will work independently so wondering if the TV is smart enough to handle both at the same time. Or would the signals just step on each other?
I don't have cable, but would consider getting it if I knew I could input both QAM and OTA. I am really interested in being able to record one show and watch another. I am recording from the set via 1394.
Bryan
post #275 of 4174 Old 11-24-2004, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
You can't diplex OTA and cable. Many of the channels use the same frequencies in both systems.
post #276 of 4174 Old 11-24-2004, 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bryankeithg
So does anyone have a Mits with an integrated ATSC and QAM tuners?

I ask because I have both ATSC tuner and QAM. But there is only one input ANT/DTV on my set. If I wanted to input both cable without a set top, unscrambled QAM and OTA antenna, can you merge these via a diplexer and have one input to the TV? They will work independently so wondering if the TV is smart enough to handle both at the same time. Or would the signals just step on each other?
I don't have cable, but would consider getting it if I knew I could input both QAM and OTA. I am really interested in being able to record one show and watch another. I am recording from the set via 1394.
Bryan

hey bryan:

with your set, do you get ESPNHD? if so, what channel is it?

thanks
post #277 of 4174 Old 11-24-2004, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

tomtnt

My Sony displays it as 525Mhz, which is close to the frequency listed for cable channel 74 per this chart.
post #278 of 4174 Old 11-24-2004, 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by tomtnt
hey bryan:

with your set, do you get ESPNHD? if so, what channel is it?

thanks

Tomtnt,
I don't have cable, which is why I was posing the question. Looks like you got your answer in the next post.
Bryan
post #279 of 4174 Old 11-24-2004, 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by spwace
tomtnt

My Sony displays it as 525Mhz, which is close to the frequency listed for cable channel 74 per this chart.

swace,
Do you know what the frequency is for ATSC channels in Sacramento?
If you told me what they are I could look up on the nifty chart you referred to, to see if there is any overlap with channels on Comcast.
Bryan
post #280 of 4174 Old 11-24-2004, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

swace,
Do you know what the frequency is for ATSC channels in Sacramento?
If you told me what they are I could look up on the nifty chart you referred to, to see if there is any overlap with channels on Comcast.
Bryan

You can just go across the chart for each of the channels listed.
For example, the chart shows that broadcast channel 21 starts at 512.0 Mhz and ends at 518.0 Mhz, and cable channel 72 goes from 510 Mhz to 516 Mhz. Those channels would interfere.

Look at the low VHF channels, they are the same frequencies for broadcast and cable.
post #281 of 4174 Old 11-25-2004, 05:40 AM

spwace,
Thanks for the answer. I thought the ATSC channels might be what their face value says they are, but did not want to assume that. That would cause some interferrance for sure where there is overlap. I don't know what all the broadcast channels are for Comcast in the UHF range. I have a friend that just hooked up Comcast to his Sony LCD 60" with built in QAM yesterday. I will go over to his house to see what cable channels will interfare with the broadcast ATSC channels. I was looking at TitanTV for Comcast Sacamento, and some channels are in the 900 range so there is some channel mapping going on that would make it difficult to figure out what the broadcast channel is.

Just thinking outloud.
I wonder what the TV would do where there was a diplexed signal of OTA and Cable with overlapping signals?

I wonder if telling the TV to delete the cable channels where they overlap with ATSC will work? That would be telling the QAM tuner to delete a channel but leave the ATSC channel in.

Just looked at the table and there would be overlap for only two channels because most of the UHF ATSC channels frequencies are not used by cable.

Call Letters-Network-ATSCChannel---CableChannelConflict
KCRA-DT-----NBC------35.1---------------NA
KVIE-DT------PBS------53.1---------------NA
KOVR-DT-----CBS------25.1---------------76
KXTV-DT------ABC------61.1---------------NA
KQCA-DT-----WB-------46.1---------------NA
KTXL-DT------FOX------55.1---------------NA
KMAX-DT-----UPN------21.1---------------72
post #282 of 4174 Old 11-25-2004, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just thinking outloud.
I wonder what the TV would do where there was a diplexed signal of OTA and Cable with overlapping signals?

Most likely, it won't work. When doing a channel scan, the tuner wants to know if it is scanning OTA or Cable. Since digital cable is 256QAM and OTA is ATSC, the two mostly likely won't "play together" very well.
post #283 of 4174 Old 11-25-2004, 01:29 PM

hey spwace - what freq. does your sony set say for discover HD? it's channel 78.1 and I want to see if it is consistent with that chart.

When I try to scan 74 - I get no channel available looking for ESPN-HD.. this sucks, it's still unencrypted QAM256, right? I tried it on 2 different TV sets with QAM tuner and a fusion-HD QAM256 card. I get every channel except ESPN-HD

For future references, here's what I get for QAM256:

78.1 - DiscoverHD
81.1 - NBCHD
81.2 - ABCHD
83.1 - PBSHD
83.2 - FOXHD
98.1 - INHD1
98.2 - INHD2

all are unencrypted QAM256 - there's also a bunch of useless QAM64 stuff and lots of useless music channels. I want my ESPN! Happy Thanksgiving!
post #284 of 4174 Old 11-25-2004, 04:55 PM

I am getting ESPN HD on 74-2 on an LG LST4200A in addition to all of the channels on your list.
post #285 of 4174 Old 11-25-2004, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

K...is it 256QAM or QAM256? Someone is mixing them up during the prev posts. Does anybody know if there is an external tuner though? Where could one get one? And what is this QAM card that I'm hearing bout in one of the prev post? I know there are new tvs now with QAM tuners..but I don't want to have to buy one just to get that the tuner. I'm with Comcast rite now and is renting an HD box. I just want a QAM tuner so I could pick up the HD channels only.
post #286 of 4174 Old 11-25-2004, 09:00 PM

QAM256/256QAM are the same thing I.E. Quadrature Amplitude Modulation with 256 states. The LG LST 4200A is an ATSC/QAM/analog set top box for OTA and cable reception. It will receive the Comcast HD channels only so long as they do not scramble them which is bound to happen eventually. I would guess that the local TV station HD signals will remain available but Comcast is going to force you to pay for the other channels at some point. The 4200A is a nice box except for one major problem which is it only has one RF input. You need to use an external A/B switch and make menu setting changes if you want to switch between cable and OTA reception. On the plus side, it will receive all of the analog cable and OTA channels as well as the digital ones.
post #287 of 4174 Old 11-25-2004, 10:47 PM

R. Boyce -

seems like the LG has a much more sensitive tuner than the built-in tuner with my panny plasma and sanyo CRT HD - how are you running the cable to it? I mean, how many time does it get split before being plugged into your receiver?
post #288 of 4174 Old 11-26-2004, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

There is a Comcast supplied 3 way splitter in the line to provide a feed for my cable modem with one output unused.

Rory
post #289 of 4174 Old 11-27-2004, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Are there any Sacramento area viewers getting HD from Comcast using a cable card compatible TV? If so what are you being charged for the service? I just called Comcast and the CSR could not tell me what my monthly bill would be if I was to get a cable card compatible HD set. She did tell me it would be $29.99 to install the cable card and suggested that I look at their web site. I did that and found that the HD service price ($5.00) refers to getting the HD box which I would not need. So the question remains unanswered.

Rory
post #290 of 4174 Old 11-27-2004, 07:53 PM

hey Rory:

what is your cable package currently? do you subscribe to anything beyond basic-basic ($12)?? I just don't understand why I'm not getting ESPNHD but am getting everything else
post #291 of 4174 Old 11-28-2004, 12:31 AM
Advanced Member

tomtnt:

I presently have what I think they call expanded basic. No digital channels at all. I am paying about $45/mo.

I have been told that if you only subscribe to basic basic I.E. lower analog channels only that Comcast puts a filter in your line to remove the higher analog channels. If you have a cable ready analog set can you receive the analog channels above 30? It is also possible that Comcast could have a problem in your area that could be frequency I.E. channel specific. Are any of your neighbors getting digital cable with no problem?

Rory
post #292 of 4174 Old 11-28-2004, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the QAM info folks, but does anybody know if the Samsung SIR-T451 set top box does analog cable channels? Which would you recommend? The LG LST 4200A or the Samsung SIR-T451. The Samsung seem to be cheaper, by approx $50. The LG seem like it does everything that I need. I will be using a cable bypass amp antenna, so there is a switch to control what I want to be inputted in the single RF, which is found on both units. Please let me know or give me some reviews on either units. Thanks.
post #293 of 4174 Old 11-28-2004, 11:22 AM

Yea - I have basic-basic ($12) and don't get anything above 30. That may be why I don't get ESPN-HD? Oh well.. not worth $33 more to get me espn-hd - I already have satellite and don't plan on switching over yet.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rory Boyce
tomtnt:

I presently have what I think they call expanded basic. No digital channels at all. I am paying about $45/mo.

I have been told that if you only subscribe to basic basic I.E. lower analog channels only that Comcast puts a filter in your line to remove the higher analog channels. If you have a cable ready analog set can you receive the analog channels above 30? It is also possible that Comcast could have a problem in your area that could be frequency I.E. channel specific. Are any of your neighbors getting digital cable with no problem?

post #294 of 4174 Old 12-01-2004, 02:13 PM

Anyone seen the new comcast DVR commercials? This is a good sign it will be coming very soon.
post #295 of 4174 Old 12-01-2004, 02:22 PM

Not sure if this has been answered yet but what channels will you get if all you have is expanded basic and an HD box? The Comcast CSR I talked to was unsure but she believed all you would get are the broadcast channels in HD. This means no InHD1, InHD2, Discovery HD, Fox Sports and ESPN. Can someone clarify?

Here's my situation:
I don't watch too much TV but when I do it is usually broadcast channels or channels that are available through analog cable. My TV is HD-Ready not HD-Built in. I currently have Digital Plus with HD box but is getting too expensive. I do watch some InHD and Discovery HD on occasion. Am I better off just getting the HD Box through comcast and downgrading to analog cable, or would it be better to downgrade to analog cable and get a HD Receiver?
post #296 of 4174 Old 12-01-2004, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by PorscheT
Anyone seen the new comcast DVR commercials? This is a good sign it will be coming very soon.

Looks like the end of December is the latest date...
post #297 of 4174 Old 12-01-2004, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by strider209
Not sure if this has been answered yet but what channels will you get if all you have is expanded basic and an HD box? The Comcast CSR I talked to was unsure but she believed all you would get are the broadcast channels in HD. This means no InHD1, InHD2, Discovery HD, Fox Sports and ESPN. Can someone clarify?

Here's my situation:
I don't watch too much TV but when I do it is usually broadcast channels or channels that are available through analog cable. My TV is HD-Ready not HD-Built in. I currently have Digital Plus with HD box but is getting too expensive. I do watch some InHD and Discovery HD on occasion. Am I better off just getting the HD Box through comcast and downgrading to analog cable, or would it be better to downgrade to analog cable and get a HD Receiver?

Don't go digital..its really not worth it if you have to pay full price for it. Just get analog w/ an HD receiver. Make sure they only charge you $5 for the box and nothing more. Going digital will only give you a few more channels, but if your gonna be watching mostly HD or don't watch tv much, then cancel your digital. Hopes this helps.
post #298 of 4174 Old 12-01-2004, 08:10 PM

Right now i have Digital Classic w/HBO. I am paying $52 for classic and $5 more for the HD box for a total of $57. I am not getting an additional box like i thought i would. They say that the HD box is $10 and $5 of it is being waved by having the Digital Classic package. I know the box should only be $5 more but i am too damn tired of fighting Comcast. They refunded me $30 when i reported that they were overcharging me to the cable commissions. And when i signed up for Digital Classic they started charging me $10 again.
post #299 of 4174 Old 12-02-2004, 11:46 AM

Liked: 12
Posted on the Sac, OTA Thread:

Quote:

Inundated wrote:

Looks like Bob Hess will have a little more on his plate in the future.

Viacom to Acquire CBS Affiliate KOVR-TV 13 Sacramento From Sinclair Broadcast Group
Thursday December 2, 12:14 pm ET
Purchase Will Give Viacom Television Stations Group Its Ninth Duopoly

NEW YORK, Dec. 2 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Viacom has agreed to purchase CBS Sacramento affiliate KOVR-TV from the Sinclair Broadcast Group, it was announced today by Fred Reynolds, President and Chief Executive Officer, Viacom Television Stations Group. The station, located in the country's 19th largest market, will give the group its ninth duopoly -- it already owns Sacramento UPN station KMAX-TV 34. Viacom's other duopoly markets include Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Boston, San Francisco, Dallas, Detroit, Miami and Pittsburgh.

The station is being purchased by Viacom for $285 million. The acquisition is still subject to regulatory approval.

"Acquiring KOVR is a terrific addition to our group," said Reynolds. "Sacramento is one of the fastest-growing areas in the country, and the acquisition of this CBS station will significantly enhance our presence in this very attractive market. We've already established a wonderful station in the market with KMAX, which continues to be a strong competitor in the local news race, and the addition of KOVR will make us even stronger."

KMAX-TV provides five hours of local news every weekday and four hours on weekends. Its weekday morning news broadcast is #2 in the market.

Viacom is a leading global media company, with preeminent positions in broadcast and cable television, radio, outdoor advertising, and online. With programming that appeals to audiences in every demographic category across virtually all media, the company is a leader in the creation, promotion, and distribution of entertainment, news, sports, music, and comedy. Viacom's well- known brands include CBS, MTV, Nickelodeon, Nick at Nite, VH1, BET, Paramount Pictures, Infinity Broadcasting, Viacom Outdoor, UPN, TV Land, Comedy Central, CMT: Country Music Television, King World, Spike TV, Showtime, and Simon & Schuster. More information about Viacom and its businesses is available at http://www.viacom.com.

The Viacom Television Stations Group consists of 39 stations, including 20 CBS, 18 UPN and one independent station. The group has duopolies in eight markets.

....You all know what that means!

I apologize for not giving credit for the article, fixed now.
post #300 of 4174 Old 12-02-2004, 11:51 AM

So CBS on comcast may be a possibility one day?!?!?!?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page