1-866-804-3504
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 4174 Old 12-27-2004, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the email address. I just sent them a note. Hope they respond and that there is just a simple technical fix that they will do before the next game.
post #453 of 4174 Old 12-27-2004, 02:52 PM

note sent. fingers crossed.

thanks for doing the legwork in looking up that info.
post #454 of 4174 Old 12-27-2004, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

Originally posted by dmast
... 2) Press and hold the "Setup" button until the "Cable" button blinks twice.

Since my black remote does not have a button labeled "Setup", does Setup actually mean the button to be reprogrammed?
post #455 of 4174 Old 12-27-2004, 06:04 PM

Black remote?? I received a silver remote with my DCT6412. In the upper right hand corner of the remote is the "setup" key. So, "setup" is not the key to be reprogrammed.
post #456 of 4174 Old 12-27-2004, 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Garrett Adams
Since my black remote does not have a button labeled "Setup", does Setup actually mean the button to be reprogrammed?

If you got the black ICX brand remote it can't be programmed (as far as I know)

I went and picked up a "oneforall" brand remote which you can program codes like 30 second skip. The oneforall brand remotes can be found at Best Buy, WalMart, etc. Another idea would be to use a learning remote and find someone with a silver comcast remote so you can learn the key on to your remote.
post #457 of 4174 Old 12-28-2004, 01:54 PM

Strider, how far did you go with the "1forall" remote ?. I've been looking at the Harmony H676. Waiting for ICX to reply to my questions about how to program the Black remote. My 6412 was delivered 12/23. No problems other than the remote and not being able to keep ReplayTV in the setup. Have an older non-digital Comcast box in another room and will use ReplayTV from there - next to my computer.

Don - in Stockton
post #458 of 4174 Old 12-28-2004, 02:11 PM

This will take you to the page that shows the remote causing the confusion

cjhengineering xxx/hdtv/cablehdtv/dct6412.htm

this is the "older remote" that has the "setup button"

xxx icxglobal.com

this is where you can find the "new" remote supplied by Comcast. The black one (they also have a gray one). They are shown on the opening page and can be found in the Enterprise family of remotes.

Don
I'm not allowed to post web address at this point. On the first one, replace the x's with c o m and the second one, replace the x's with the w's
post #459 of 4174 Old 12-28-2004, 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Don Carlson
Strider, how far did you go with the "1forall" remote ?. I've been looking at the Harmony H676. Waiting for ICX to reply to my questions about how to program the Black remote. My 6412 was delivered 12/23. No problems other than the remote and not being able to keep ReplayTV in the setup. Have an older non-digital Comcast box in another room and will use ReplayTV from there - next to my computer.

Don - in Stockton

If you're talking about cost the one I got was about $30. The cheaper model can be found at walmart for less than $20. You can program almost any function to any key on the remote. The remote I got is also a learning remote so if I can't find a code I can use the learning remote to learn the function. Still haven't programmed all my equipment but I was able to program my TV and 6412 with just codes. As far as I know the ICX can only be programmed with the generic codes (i.e. volume, channel, etc.) Advanced codes can't be programmed on it.
post #460 of 4174 Old 12-28-2004, 04:05 PM

i'm watching the independence bowl right now on 923, ESPN2 (12/28/2004 ~4:00pm).

i am getting the same blurring effect being discussed above on the king's HD channel 925. i'd think ESPN would have their ducks in a row, no? so, does this throw out the "they are using a cheap compression scheme" sentiment?

could it be something on the user end? something wrong with the 6412? i'm just grasping at straws here. but, it's pretty frustrating--especially with the audio drops coming about every 20 seconds *shrug*
post #461 of 4174 Old 12-28-2004, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I am not seeing this being broadcast in HD.
post #462 of 4174 Old 12-28-2004, 04:26 PM

I'm looking at the Independence Bowl here in Sac on 923, and am not getting the King's blurring effect nor the audio dropouts. The telecast is not in HD here, just SD, so I wouldn't expect it. My picture is just plain old low res SD, and very stable. Not sure what you are seeing, but the King's effect on HDSE was a blurring from HD to SD and then back again. This Independence Bowl is not an HD telecast even though they are sending it on their HD channel.
post #463 of 4174 Old 12-28-2004, 06:44 PM

hole in the ground> *me*
*shrug*

ok....well, what i am seeing in the independence bowl is some blurring when a scene changes....almost like the camera is not focused properly. it usually fixes itself with 5-10 seconds or so.

and, my audio drops are across the dial, tho not as bad as they were at 4pm. i have noticed it gets worse if both tuners are tuned and/or recording HD content, or at least HD signal channels (tuned to a 9xx channel even if the broadcast is not HD).

maybe i'm just being a technochondriac....i just *want* something to be wrong with it.
post #464 of 4174 Old 12-28-2004, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

Originally posted by strider209
If you got the black ICX brand remote it can't be programmed (as far as I know) ...

OK, I received the black ICX with my DCT6412. However way back in April or May when VOD came to Stockton an installer gave me both the standard black DCT5100 remote as well as one of the silver One-for-All's since the latter had an on-demand button. If I can get the silver one to accept the skip command I'll in turn 'learn' the function to my MX-500 remote (the remote that controls the HT).
post #465 of 4174 Old 01-02-2005, 07:38 PM

once again another Kings game filled with OoF, Out of Focus, shots coming from a lower corner cam as it goes back to the top for live action. There were many other camera shot scenarios that contributed to the bad quality picture, but this seems to be the case. For a moment, just before the corner replay runs, the picture is actually clear. This leads me to assume the culprit to be the production engineer and his support in the truck. Not compression, not the camera people, but the guy running the board.
I'd like to offer this suggestion to Comcast Sports West for future telecasts. Do NOT offer the HDTV telecast until it is done right. Either that or post a prop 64 warning that says ;"watching this HI def telecast can cause permanent damage to your eyes"
post #466 of 4174 Old 01-02-2005, 09:00 PM

I'm with Techdood on this. Why is Comcast offering this half-baked HD? We really ought to call it something other than HD, how about VarioDef, sometimes HD, sometimes SD! Make it into a feature and actually market it.

One thing I noticed tonight is that the HD actually held pretty well as long as the cameras switches were among the live cameras (way better than before). I could still see some compression shakiness in those cases, however nothing like what I could see every time we went from live to replay, and then back to live again. Amazing. It is like they sort of fixed half the problem! Can this be that difficult?

Another curious thing. The first two VarioDef Kings broadcasts had audio only in the right channel on my SPDIF feed. Tonight I had some, but not full audio in the left channel. I am guessing the left channel was 6 db down from the right, the good news being it was much improved from before. But again, why not a complete fix? I am concluding that the Comcast engineers are not seeing and hearing what I am, ie - not what ends up being presented further down the cable.

I can only hope that some of our messages are getting through, email forums etc, and that they will in fact get this right in our lifetimes.
post #467 of 4174 Old 01-02-2005, 11:36 PM

i hope the message does come thru. i know this is just TV and the discussions we hold here are a form of being tech savvy. bottom line is we do PAY for this service; those who watch with qam tuners with limited basic can leave themselves out [lucky bassards] i can only hold face and play like I'm going to defect only for so long.
So Comcast, please take our kind hearted words to your ears then ask yourself..."is this the product i wanted to deliver to our customers?" if the answer is No. then please correct it, acknowledge it then correct it. you will end up with very satisfied customers in the long run.
post #468 of 4174 Old 01-06-2005, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

So I called today to try and get a 6412 DVR box - the lady was all ready to set up an appointment, and then she "remembered" that the 6412 only works if you have at least Digital Classic (I just have expanded basic). BS if you ask me. It'll work just fine - they just want me to upgrade.

Wonder if I call again I might get a more sympathetic CSR

What happens if I upgrade, get the box, then downgrade - will they come take the box away?

Who is the more irrational, the man who believes in a God he does not see, or the man who is offended by the God he does not believe in? -Brad Stine
post #469 of 4174 Old 01-06-2005, 11:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I just wanted to let you know that people at Comcast who can do something about at least some of the problems with HD Kings games are aware of the issues. The unequal audio L/R audio levels should be fixed now. Issues related to equipment in the HD truck are not directly under Comcast's control but obviously they can try to get the vendor to fix them. I would assume that the truck is contracted for by the Kings for Comcast games, at least that is the way it worked last year for games on KXTV.

Rory
post #470 of 4174 Old 01-06-2005, 11:23 PM

Attending the CES 05, ESPN opened up ESPN2 in HD. Has comcast picked up this channel yet? Has any MSO or satellite provider? I was too busy visiting the satellite conferences and SBC to ask an ESPN rep. Hopefully some here knows before I head back out tomorrow.
post #471 of 4174 Old 01-07-2005, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by techdood
Attending the CES 05, ESPN opened up ESPN2 in HD. Has comcast picked up this channel yet? Has any MSO or satellite provider? I was too busy visiting the satellite conferences and SBC to ask an ESPN rep. Hopefully some here knows before I head back out tomorrow.

Check out the sticky at the top of the HDTV Programming Forum. Directv and Adelphia are all that are announced, and they didn't have the channel at launch.
post #472 of 4174 Old 01-08-2005, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Question for you folks having the 6412s, did anyone manage to downgrade to the basic lifeline ($12.01) and still keep your 6412s?

To migrate completely to Comcast from Dishnetwork, I will need three 6412s, not only this is not available, but will cost too much. I want Tivo HD only, my wife wants to Tivo SD only, so must keep Dishnetwork.
post #473 of 4174 Old 01-08-2005, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

I've talked to 2 people now at Comcast, and they both said you have to have Digital Classic to have a 6412.

The guy last night called me after I was turned down by the regular CSR - he tried to offer me Digital Plus for 30 a month for 3 months, + the 9.95 for the 6412. If I didn't like it after 3 months I could switch back to expanded basic, but they would take my box away. I told him no thanks - I didn't want to get hooked on the PVR and they be forced to pay extra for the digital channels.

Who is the more irrational, the man who believes in a God he does not see, or the man who is offended by the God he does not believe in? -Brad Stine
post #474 of 4174 Old 01-08-2005, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Guess I will wait to see how VOOM's whole house solution may pan out this March.
post #475 of 4174 Old 01-10-2005, 10:38 AM

I was watching some of the Battlestar Galactica movie on 903 the other day and I noticed there was audio drop out and/or audio out of sync. I switched to the analog channel (KCRA 3 I believe) and all was fine. Is this because of Comcast or because of KCRA?
post #476 of 4174 Old 01-10-2005, 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by strider209
I was watching some of the Battlestar Galactica movie on 903 the other day and I noticed there was audio drop out and/or audio out of sync. I switched to the analog channel (KCRA 3 I believe) and all was fine. Is this because of Comcast or because of KCRA?

What, you did not notice it coming in and out of HD too

It was talked about on the OTA thread, KCRA seemed to have issues all night long Friday and Saturday.

Troy
post #477 of 4174 Old 01-10-2005, 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Troy J B
What, you did not notice it coming in and out of HD too

It was talked about on the OTA thread, KCRA seemed to have issues all night long Friday and Saturday.

Troy

I only watched about 10 minutes of the movie. I think I did see it switch once or twice out of HD. So this is due to KCRA not Comcast... Strange I don't watch too much TV but I've never had problems with KCRA.
post #478 of 4174 Old 01-11-2005, 12:57 AM
Advanced Member

I'm finally joining the HD club. My new TV gets delivered tomorrow and a 6412 is going to be installed on Thursday. Just in time for the last few weeks of football. I'm almost giddy, almost.
post #479 of 4174 Old 01-11-2005, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Anybody know for sure if the 5100 boxes have DVI enabled? I'm looking to free up an input on my TV

post #480 of 4174 Old 01-11-2005, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Originally posted by ccallana
Anybody know for sure if the 5100 boxes have DVI enabled? I'm looking to free up an input on my TV

I had a 5100 before I traded up to the 6412 and they both had DVI enabled.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page