Sacramento, CA - Comcast - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 4174 Old 04-18-2005, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Do you know if the NBA will force a blackout of the Kings on ESPN HD if CSN shows the playoff games?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 4174 Old 04-18-2005, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The game last week with the Lakers was not blacked out on ESPN, but without access to the actual contracts it's anybody's guess which games are blacked out.
post #723 of 4174 Old 04-19-2005, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I guess we will find out on Saturday, at least with regard to Channel 10. The Kings-Sonics will be on ESPN HD this Saturday, and I would think channel 10 will show the game, and show the game in SD. Thus if Channel 10 has exclusive rights, the scenario with the Phoenix game will repeat itself.
post #724 of 4174 Old 04-19-2005, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Originally posted by igreg
I guess we will find out on Saturday, at least with regard to Channel 10. The Kings-Sonics will be on ESPN HD this Saturday, and I would think channel 10 will show the game, and show the game in SD. Thus if Channel 10 has exclusive rights, the scenario with the Phoenix game will repeat itself.

I don't believe there is any local exclusivity for playoff games, so you should have a choice.
post #725 of 4174 Old 04-20-2005, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've noticed various levels of compression used for ESPN and CSN HD baseball programming.

With baseball, the effects are most visible when camera shots contain movement and show lot's of grass or dirt infield (base paths) in the background. The movement can be panning or zooming-in or out. When the data is over-compressed you'll slowly become aware that these backgrounds sometimes look unnatural. Sometimes, the signals are being compressed too much, and the actual MPEG pixel tiling becomes visible to anyone who knows what to look for. Worse, the compression levels (and background detail) constantly changes during camera or lens movements!

Sometimes, I've actually been getting sick to my stomach (for a second or two) as I watch this occur onscreen. As soon as the movement stops, a less-compressed, more natural-looking version of the background grass and dirt re-appears, and my queasiness disappears.

I have noticed this in two or three games. Most recently it was very evident during the Chicago White Sox game of 4/19, which I think was broadcast on CSN (if I recall correctly). It is a very odd sensation. After awhile I could not keep watching, and turned off the White Sox game.

I wonder where the compression is occurring and who is controlling it?

Geo
post #726 of 4174 Old 04-20-2005, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Threads merged.
post #727 of 4174 Old 04-20-2005, 03:43 PM

I called Comcast about the Kings game in Hi Def and was told by Comcast that as of April 1 2005 no more Kings games in Hi Def.

I asked her how could that be since I got Comcast so I could see home games in Hi Def on 919. Her reply was that Comcast and the Maloofs could not agree on the contract.

I was a long time *D* man and things that this make me want to go back.
If only I had $999.00 for HD-250 with Tivo and HDTV I would go back in a second!!
post #728 of 4174 Old 04-20-2005, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by coqui007
I called Comcast about the Kings game in Hi Def and was told by Comcast that as of April 1 2005 no more Kings games in Hi Def.

I asked her how could that be since I got Comcast so I could see home games in Hi Def on 919. Her reply was that Comcast and the Maloofs could not agree on the contract.

I was a long time *D* man and things that this make me want to go back.
If only I had $999.00 for HD-250 with Tivo and HDTV I would go back in a second!!

I don't think it has anything to do with a contract, but with it being the end of the season. Comcast Sportsnet has the rights to most Kings home games for several years...HD or SD.

We are in the playoffs now, and I don't believe CSN has rights to any of the playoff games. They are either on News10 or ESPN, or TNT.
post #729 of 4174 Old 04-20-2005, 05:34 PM

Tonights Kings game will be HD on KXTV and the Comcast KXTV HD channel.
post #730 of 4174 Old 04-20-2005, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by nightowl
I don't think it has anything to do with a contract, but with it being the end of the season. Comcast Sportsnet has the rights to most Kings home games for several years...HD or SD.

We are in the playoffs now, and I don't believe CSN has rights to any of the playoff games. They are either on News10 or ESPN, or TNT.

Yes indeed I don't know why they even bother with CSRs answering any real questions, I have yet found any of them know the answers, worst yet, they seem to happily make up stories as they go along just to get you off their back.
post #731 of 4174 Old 04-20-2005, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jacmyoung
Yes indeed I don't know why they even bother with CSRs answering any real questions, I have yet found any of them know the answers, worst yet, they seem to happily make up stories as they go along just to get you off their back.

A Comcast CSR, make up stories just to get a customer off the phone? Surely you must be mistaken!

I would be curious as to how the "contract" issues come up when the games are broadcast on Comcast's very own network? How does a reason like that even come up? They have a multi-year contract with Maloof Sports to carry the Kings.

I would think the Kings would have a problem with Comcast CSRs telling customers who just got the Kings back on cable after a one year absence. Wasn't there bad enough PR last year when only a handful of games were available on Comcast?
post #732 of 4174 Old 04-20-2005, 11:14 PM
Advanced Member

Anybody do comparisons between the ESPN and Channel 10 broadcasts tonite?

they both looked pretty good - but to my eye, ESPN had slightly better colors and pop - the purple was very vibrant.

Who is the more irrational, the man who believes in a God he does not see, or the man who is offended by the God he does not believe in? -Brad Stine
post #733 of 4174 Old 04-20-2005, 11:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by R. Boyce
Tonights Kings game will be HD on KXTV and the Comcast KXTV HD channel.

Thanks. Do you know if all the Kings home playoff games will be in HD (except for those that may be broadcast nationally by ABC)?
post #734 of 4174 Old 04-21-2005, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

Does anybody know or anybody getting all the non-premium HD channels w/o the digital package of $14.95?? I want to get standard cable with the DVR and HDTV function, which will be $9.95 more. Do I really need the digital package just to get INHD, INHD2, etc??? I know I will get locals in HD, but I want my other HD channels as well w/o having to pay for the digital package.
post #735 of 4174 Old 04-21-2005, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

From what I have been told several times - you can not get the DVR without Digital Classic.

I have the full analog package, plus the $5/month HD box rental - I get:

NBC, PBS, FOX, ABC, CBS + INHD1/2, DiscHD, ESPN, and Comcast SE (special events) on the 5100 box. I've called several times to get the 6412 (which would be $4.95 more than I'm paying now) and they won't do it without me upgrading to Digital Classic for another $9.95/month

Who is the more irrational, the man who believes in a God he does not see, or the man who is offended by the God he does not believe in? -Brad Stine
post #736 of 4174 Old 04-21-2005, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by nightowl
A Comcast CSR, make up stories just to get a customer off the phone? Surely you must be mistaken!

I would be curious as to how the "contract" issues come up when the games are broadcast on Comcast's very own network? How does a reason like that even come up? They have a multi-year contract with Maloof Sports to carry the Kings.

I would think the Kings would have a problem with Comcast CSRs telling customers who just got the Kings back on cable after a one year absence. Wasn't there bad enough PR last year when only a handful of games were available on Comcast?

Ever heard a CSR insisting that InHDs were PPV channels? How about the 5100 DVI output was not working because the CSR claimed he had two 5100s (how about this as a story, a CSR had two HDTVs?) and he knew for a fact the DVIs did not work, when at the same time mine worked just fine? The fact was he did not even know what DVI was.

I seemed to recall someone mentioned there was a fire in the HD truck, afterwards we missed the last two Comcast HD games but they were on CH34. Judging from how much those CSRs know the difference between SD and HD, I doubt they actually knew there was a Comcast HD RSN channel, much less contractual details on the Kings HD games.
post #737 of 4174 Old 04-21-2005, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

CSR's have told me that INHD is a PPV channel.
post #738 of 4174 Old 04-22-2005, 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by igreg
CSR's have told me that INHD is a PPV channel.

I've seen a reply to this. I forgot the outcome. As for myself, looks like I'm going to have to go Limited Basic + Digital Classic in order to keep the HD's and my STB. If that is the minimum to keep them, then that's what I'll pay.
post #739 of 4174 Old 04-23-2005, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

No TNT-HD yet for us??? Wellz, im sure most of you guys know, that Comcast just added TNT-HD to some of their markets. I guess we don't have it as of yet correct? I'm going to check out the guide in a bit. I hope that we do though, this would be really nice.
post #740 of 4174 Old 04-23-2005, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by wunautica
No TNT-HD yet for us??? Wellz, im sure most of you guys know, that Comcast just added TNT-HD to some of their markets. I guess we don't have it as of yet correct? I'm going to check out the guide in a bit. I hope that we do though, this would be really nice.

Per the regional VP in an email I recieved a few weeks ago, we won't get TNT-HD at launch, and likely not until "this summer". So, I'm not really expecting it until June sometime at the earliest.
post #741 of 4174 Old 04-24-2005, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by techdood
I've seen a reply to this. I forgot the outcome. As for myself, looks like I'm going to have to go Limited Basic + Digital Classic in order to keep the HD's and my STB. If that is the minimum to keep them, then that's what I'll pay.

So what does this translate into dollars per month? Thanks.
post #742 of 4174 Old 04-24-2005, 09:14 PM
Advanced Member

Anybody know the reasoning for not getting TNT-HD yet? It would seem we have the bandwidth (they just moved the premiums up to digital)

I don't really care much until July when a lot of the Nascar races are there well, that and Law and Order re-runs - although I think I've seen them all....

post #743 of 4174 Old 04-24-2005, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by ccallana
Anybody know the reasoning for not getting TNT-HD yet? It would seem we have the bandwidth (they just moved the premiums up to digital)

I don't really care much until July when a lot of the Nascar races are there well, that and Law and Order re-runs - although I think I've seen them all....

It sounds like getting VOD up and running is taking a lot of effort (as evidenced by them not getting it running months and months ago). Check a few posts up in this thread for more info.
post #744 of 4174 Old 04-25-2005, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Here's the email response I received about TNT-HD being added:

"Thank you for contacting Comcast Cable.

Thank you for your inquiry. This is currently being beta tested in many
markets, and has not been released for all areas as of yet. This should be
completed in a few weeks and then added to the lineup.

If you need further assistance, please feel free to respond directly to this
email. We appreciate you taking the time to contact us. "

I didn't realize beta testing was required in order to add a channel.
post #745 of 4174 Old 04-25-2005, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Did I tell you they often make up stories just to get you off their back?
post #746 of 4174 Old 04-25-2005, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jacmyoung
Did I tell you they often make up stories just to get you off their back?

Yeah, I knew that (check out my post from page 35 of this thread). Though, I guess we should feel lucky that all the bugs will be caught by the beta testers (other local markets) before we get the opportunity to watch TNT-HD.
post #747 of 4174 Old 04-26-2005, 03:52 AM

Anybody in Sacramento (95826 area) getting VOD yet? I get channel 1 now, but just recieve the "this channel should be available shortly" message.
post #748 of 4174 Old 04-26-2005, 12:48 PM

Seems to be working now. I just brought up Groundhog Day under the Free selection.

Well, if they still have BW available after all this VOD goo, we should be all set to add new
HD content. At least one can hope...

Troy
post #749 of 4174 Old 04-26-2005, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by deltaopz
Anybody in Sacramento (95826 area) getting VOD yet? I get channel 1 now, but just recieve the "this channel should be available shortly" message.

If you "see" channel 1, it should only be another week or so before you get VOD activated. At least that's how it was for me in Fair Oaks.
post #750 of 4174 Old 04-26-2005, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Do you have to have a PVR box for VOD? or just if you want to watch it later?

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page