Sacramento, CA - Comcast - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 4174 Old 06-01-2005, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow! I just found this website today and am amazed that so many people are having the same problems with Giants & A's games on FSN HD - Comcast channel 720 (Solano County) or 920 (Central Valley). We have called Comcast numerous times about this in Solano County and have always been treated like nobody has ever heard of this problem before. Furthermore, many of the support people I have spoken with do not even understand how this channel is supposed to work (INHD2 & FSN HD sharing the channel). This is especially frustrating to us, because we went with Comcast specifically because they are the only HD provider that carries FSN Bay Area HD. So if everybody is having these problems, then why are they still an issue after 2 months? Does everybody call Comcast when a scheduled game does not come through on FSN HD? Man, it is ridiculous that this has not been resolved yet. By the way, my friend in Richmond has had none of these problems with the Giants & A's HD games. We need to seriously choose a course of action for the next time channel 720/920 misses or is late with a HD game. What do we do ... everybody call Comcast at once? Let me know ... this needs to get fixed.
Next A's HD Game - Friday, June 3 - 7:00
Next Giants HD Game - Tuesday, June 7 - 7:00
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 4174 Old 06-01-2005, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

I call Comcast anytime there is a problem with a Giants broadcast (I'm not an A's fan, I don't catch all their games but will call if I see that the game isn't on). I've contacted FSN, I know it's not their problem but they are the broadcaster and they should know when the feed isn't being shown. Problem with calling FSN is you can't get ahold of anyone after business hours or on weekends, they aren't there when most games are on. So you are calling them after the fact.

I do have to say they have been getting it right more times than not lately. But when it's not it is very very frustrating.
post #813 of 4174 Old 06-01-2005, 03:23 PM

Yes, my last problem was Sat, May 21 Giants vs A's, so it has been a good week-and-a-half. I really don't understand this problem though. I call Comcast every time a game is not coming on and I have actually had the problem corrected immediately on a couple of occasions. It was like someone just flipped a switch. Most of the time though, I get a frustrating "brush-off." So what do we do next time this happens? I think we have a much better chance at this if as many people as possibl go at it together.
post #814 of 4174 Old 06-01-2005, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
They screwed up the A's game on Monday. It was in extra innings, the A's were up in the bottom of the inning with runners on 1st and 2nd and two outs. At 10pm on the dot, they cut back to the INHD2 programming and never went back to the game. By the time I could change the channel to FSN SD on 36, they were walking of the field slapping each other on the back.

This goes way beyond mere incompetence and borders on fraud. They continue to take our money, but they don't deliver what was purchased. I personally never miss an opportunity to tell anyone who will listen how much Comcast sucks.
post #815 of 4174 Old 06-02-2005, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spwace View Post

They screwed up the A's game on Monday. It was in extra innings, the A's were up in the bottom of the inning with runners on 1st and 2nd and two outs. At 10pm on the dot, they cut back to the INHD2 programming and never went back to the game.

I'll admit that I watch many more Giants games, so I missed that mistake. It still really ticks me off though. Did you call Comcast about that problem on Monday? FSN? Complain at your local Comcast office? I have called my local Comcast support (800-945-2288) about 20 times this season and faxed FSN twice (415-296-9198). What we are doing individually obviously isn't working though. I suggest that we all agree on what to do about this and we do it together. Whether we all call the same phone # at the same time or fax the same person at the same time, we have to do something together, because we aren't being listened to as individuals.
Next FSN HD Broadcasts:
Friday, June 3 at 7:00 - A's
Saturday, June 4 at 6:00 - A's
Sunday, June 5 at 1:00 - A's
Tuesday, June 7 at 7:00 - Giants
Wednesday, June 8 at 7:00 - Giants
Thursday, June 9 at 12:30 - Giants
post #816 of 4174 Old 06-02-2005, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjjjaded View Post

I'll admit that I watch many more Giants games, so I missed that mistake. It still really ticks me off though. Did you call Comcast about that problem on Monday? FSN? Complain at your local Comcast office? I have called my local Comcast support (800-945-2288) about 20 times this season and faxed FSN twice (415-296-9198). What we are doing individually obviously isn't working though. I suggest that we all agree on what to do about this and we do it together. Whether we all call the same phone # at the same time or fax the same person at the same time, we have to do something together, because we aren't being listened to as individuals.
Next FSN HD Broadcasts:
Friday, June 3 at 7:00 - A's
Saturday, June 4 at 6:00 - A's
Sunday, June 5 at 1:00 - A's
Tuesday, June 7 at 7:00 - Giants
Wednesday, June 8 at 7:00 - Giants
Thursday, June 9 at 12:30 - Giants

I didn't call on Monday, because it was to late to do anything about it. I have called dozens of times starting last September, however, and at this point I have heard every excuse on the CSR's cheat sheet. I expecially love it when they say it isn't on because of contractual agreements and then, about an hour later, it magically appears.
post #817 of 4174 Old 06-02-2005, 08:57 AM

So what do we do about this? All of us have to pin somebody down & get this fixed.
post #818 of 4174 Old 06-02-2005, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spwace View Post

I didn't call on Monday, because it was to late to do anything about it. I have called dozens of times starting last September, however, and at this point I have heard every excuse on the CSR's cheat sheet. I expecially love it when they say it isn't on because of contractual agreements and then, about an hour later, it magically appears.

My favorite is, "It's not available in the Bay Area or in the Central Valley". When it's on in the Bay Area. Plus if it's not on in those areas where would it be on?
post #819 of 4174 Old 06-02-2005, 04:28 PM

In looking back at this thread, several people have had this problem, but it looks like there are 3 of us still posting here who are consistently being let down by Comcast's inability to broadcast Giants & A's games on FSN HD. They are too frequently starting FSN HD games too late (after receiving phone complaints) and also cutting away from FSN HD games too early (usually once the game hits the 3-hour mark). The season is almost one-third over - we can't keep fighting customer support to get individual games on FSN HD ... we need to alert the proper people to acheive a permanent fix to this problem. As a start, I suggest that we begin to document each FSN HD game that is not shown in its entirety, continue to contact Comcast when every problem occurs (telephone, email, fax), and inform them that we have had these problems all season & are now documenting every problem.
post #820 of 4174 Old 06-03-2005, 07:03 PM

Friday night, 7:02 and the A's game is not on FSN HD. I'm calling Comcast.
post #821 of 4174 Old 06-03-2005, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Friday night, 7:02 and the A's game is not on FSN HD. I'm calling Comcast.

I'm right behind you.
post #822 of 4174 Old 06-03-2005, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

They finally called someone who said it was a head end issue. I asked if that is the reason for all the problems and if there was anything they could do about it. He said he'd refer it on.

And now the game is on.
post #823 of 4174 Old 06-03-2005, 07:36 PM

I've been going back & forth a lot and am on hold right now. What's a head end issue? Do you mean it was FSN's fault? By the way, the game came on for me at exactly 7:30.
post #824 of 4174 Old 06-03-2005, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

No, it's Comcast's fault. Of course it took me awhile to get the level 2 csr to contact someone to see if there was a problem.

Have fun watching the game, I'm not an A's fan, I switched channels as soon as it came on.
post #825 of 4174 Old 06-03-2005, 07:57 PM

So somebody at Comcast didn't properly "set up" the switch from INHD2 to FSN HD tonight? How is that "switch" actually done anyway? That is the key to permanently solving this problem. I found it very interesting that the game came on at exactly 7:30 tonight (instead of 7:00). You had much better luck than I did on the phone tonight ... good work.
post #826 of 4174 Old 06-03-2005, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

It seems to me that is the problem. Someone just didn't "flip the switch". I ask them that every time but I don't think the csr monkeys have any idea how things work (not that I know either). I'll leave the technical goings-on to others more in the know.

Happy to help, anything to get a permanent fix will help my cause with the Giants. Well, enjoy the game.
post #827 of 4174 Old 06-03-2005, 08:13 PM

I think that you found out some very valuable information tonight. We have to remember this for the next time that we have a problem.
post #828 of 4174 Old 06-06-2005, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Has anyone noticed that the picture quality of all Comcast channels (but especially the 1-99 analogs) has improved dramatically since last Friday, when Video On Demand also was scheduled to go live? At least in our Elk Grove neighborhood the channel sharpness and color quality has gone from poor to good. Even KCRA channel 3 is better, and they sent Comcast the worst local signal of any of the local channels.

However, as of this afternoon (6/6) the Video On Demand service is still not active on our TV. Did it start last week (as advertised) for anyone else in the local area?

Geo
post #829 of 4174 Old 06-06-2005, 11:32 PM

Liked: 12
gmwedding, it takes awhile. They seem to be adding it by each city/region, the channel was visible here in Folsom for a few weeks before it was actually activated (2 weeks ago). You'll know when it's available, there's a ton of content on it also =). And that's also good news about your analog channels I havn't noticed myself.
post #830 of 4174 Old 06-07-2005, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

The Comcast VOD channel has been available, but not working in Elk Grove for a couple of months now.

By the way, if VOD has no HD content, it will be of marginal value to HD customers. Except for CNN, CNBC, Fox News and MSNBC, we've stopped watching most Comcast SD channels since getting a Pioneer HD/widescreen plasma, largely due to poor (Comcast) picture quality.

By and large, we feel we are not really receiving what we are paying premium prices for -- a premium quality cable service. However, we are receiving excellent, though very limited HD service.

This is proving to be a very difficult transition period for Comcast customers.

We did just extract a three-month discount on the basic rate from Comcast, because we told them we have been considering dumping the service and switching to satellite. And we have not subscribed to Comcast premium channels because we concluded that NetFlix and Blockbuster's online/mail DVD rental services offer a much better value at a lower price. We went with Blockbuster, and for the moment, we receive more movies than those offered with a typical Comcast SD movie channel, and DVDs provide much better picture quality (and widescreen). We are now temporarily trying a Comcast package that includes all the Encore and Starz channels with some additional digital channels. But we are doing this just to get one additional HD channel (Starz HD) and we do not bother watching most of these SD/4:3 channels. And as it it turns out, we've been disappointed wih the realization that about 40% of the Starz HD channel content is actually in broadcast in SD/4:3.

Heck, it would be nice to see programmers at standard definition TV stations and cable channels simply recognize the need for more widescreen content, even if a program is broadcast in SD (analog or digital), instead of HD. But even if this change occurred, Comcast would need to improve SD picture quality and the iGuide listing would still need to note if each program is in HD or SD and 4:3 or 16:9 widescreen if customers are to realize the full benefit of the iGuide and make the best use the Motorola DVR to plan recordings.

The truth is that in the past three months since getting an HDTV, we have stopped watching most SD channels, much less record SD content. In part, this is because of the picture quality on the Comcast analog channels (and even on most of the non-HD digital channels) has been so poor that many simply have been unwatchable.

Last night, I noticed that it really was just channels 1-99 that seem to have improved over the past few days (in early June 2005) and that Comcast channels 100- to about 600 (those we subscribe to -- including the premium channels like Encore and Starz) deliver acceptable, but not remarkable picture quality. To me, these appear to be digital channels delivering analog content. Whatever is the source, the picture quality still looks marginal, varies from channel to channel, and just isn't worth watching for the most part. Of course, the few digital HD channels in the 900s are great.

This morning (June 7), I'd swear that Comcast channels 1-99 look like crap again -- they're fuzzy and the brightness and contrast levels vary widely from channel to channel.

Geo
post #831 of 4174 Old 06-07-2005, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Did I miss something last night? Did Comcast carrry the NBA Eastern Conference final between Miami and Detroit? I could not find it on the iGuide, TNT, or any other channel.

Geo
post #832 of 4174 Old 06-07-2005, 11:45 AM

It was on TNT, even thought the iGuide listed Charmed. The picture quality was horrendous.
post #833 of 4174 Old 06-08-2005, 08:22 AM

Speaking of TNT, the deal for Comcast to carry TNT HD was reached a month-and-a-half ago now. Anybody have any insights as to when TNT HD will arrive in this area? Link to announcement: http://www.adweek.com/mw/news/cablet..._id=1000894157
post #834 of 4174 Old 06-08-2005, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Speaking of TNT, the deal for Comcast to carry TNT HD was reached a month-and-a-half ago now. Anybody have any insights as to when TNT HD will arrive in this area? Link to announcement: http://www.adweek.com/mw/news/cabletv/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000894157[/url]

When I emailed Comcast to find out when we might be getting TNT-HD, they responded that the other areas of the country were merely beta testing the channel. I haven't followed up to see how that test went.
post #835 of 4174 Old 06-09-2005, 08:25 AM

Anybody watch the last 2 Giants games on FSN HD (Tuesday & Wednesday)? I'm getting quite a few "audio drops" & "pixel freezes" here. Anybody else?
post #836 of 4174 Old 06-09-2005, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anybody watch the last 2 Giants games on FSN HD (Tuesday & Wednesday)? I'm getting quite a few "audio drops" & "pixel freezes" here. Anybody else?

Yes, same problem here. Thanks for the confirmation.

Watching this team is painful enough without the technical glitches.
post #837 of 4174 Old 06-09-2005, 01:54 PM

Blah, FSN HD audio troubles still here on the Thur afternoon Giants game.
post #838 of 4174 Old 06-13-2005, 02:29 PM

Sacramento, 720P DLP HDTV with a built in ATSC tuner. Using both OTA and Comcast.

The following error messages are for reference. They are not the exact messages codes nor are they important for my question.
1. cant display image - scrambled by provider
2. cant display image - signal strength is 50

Last march I received the same ATSC HDTV channels on both OTA, and Comcast (ie... CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX, PBSx2, UPN, WB). About a month later I noticed that my Comcast ATSC CBS channel 13-1 sorta went away. Sorta because when I change to it, I don't get either of the two TV errors messages listed above. All I just get this black blank screen with no audio, video, or error messages. I also can not move off of that channel via the up and down buttons on the remote, and I am forced to punch in a channel number to get to a different channel.

Well in the last month now, I have lost Comcast NBC 3-1, ABC 10-1, UPN, WB... They all have the same blank black screen. I am still receiving Comcast ATSC PBS and Fox. Also, when I try changing to an HD pay channel I do not subscribe to (say Showtime) ,I get the error message that says it can not display the ATSC channel because it is scrambled by the provider (which I would expect since I am not paying for that).

Question - What is going on with Comcast ATSC? I have not changed my setup. Why am I slowly losing my Comcast HDTV channels???

FTR - OTA ATSC works perfectly. Comcast Analog works perfectly. I do not have a Comcast cable card because I am not interested in receiving their digital NTSC TV. All I care about is ATSC, and a cable card should not be needed for that.
post #839 of 4174 Old 06-13-2005, 07:58 PM

Short answer - you need a QAM tuner for the Comcast channels that you receive OTA free. They are not scrambled, but are not ATSC. A cable card would not help. And I can't explain why you used to get the error message(s) and don't anymore.

Wayne Thomas
post #840 of 4174 Old 06-14-2005, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzujoel View Post

Sacramento, 720P DLP HDTV with a built in ATSC tuner. Using both OTA and Comcast.

The following error messages are for reference. They are not the exact messages codes nor are they important for my question.
1. cant display image - scrambled by provider
2. cant display image - signal strength is 50

Last march I received the same ATSC HDTV channels on both OTA, and Comcast (ie... CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX, PBSx2, UPN, WB). About a month later I noticed that my Comcast ATSC CBS channel 13-1 sorta went away. Sorta because when I change to it, I don't get either of the two TV errors messages listed above. All I just get this black blank screen with no audio, video, or error messages. I also can not move off of that channel via the up and down buttons on the remote, and I am forced to punch in a channel number to get to a different channel.

Well in the last month now, I have lost Comcast NBC 3-1, ABC 10-1, UPN, WB... They all have the same blank black screen. I am still receiving Comcast ATSC PBS and Fox. Also, when I try changing to an HD pay channel I do not subscribe to (say Showtime) ,I get the error message that says it can not display the ATSC channel because it is scrambled by the provider (which I would expect since I am not paying for that).

Question - What is going on with Comcast ATSC? I have not changed my setup. Why am I slowly losing my Comcast HDTV channels???

FTR - OTA ATSC works perfectly. Comcast Analog works perfectly. I do not have a Comcast cable card because I am not interested in receiving their digital NTSC TV. All I care about is ATSC, and a cable card should not be needed for that.

I assume you meant this past March, not March of 2004, since back then Comcast did not have CBSDT nor PBSDT, they still don't have UPNDT/WBDT today. It is possible that Comcast has moved some of the local DT channels to a higher frequency range. Most QAM tuners that come with the TV sets can only decode in the range below say 125Mhz (I could be wrong).

In any event, since you already pay for the basic Comcast tier, it will only cost $5 extra to rent a cable HD box to watch all the local DT channels they carry, and you will get the programming guide info as a bonus.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page