post #901 of 4174 Old 08-05-2005, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacmyoung View Post

This morning I heard it on the radio Comcast was promoting HD VOD, among other things. This was the first time I heard mentioning HD VOD. Wonder if there is any truth to it.

I just checked, HD VOD is up. The choices are Shark Tales, a couple of IMAX documentaries, and 2 movies I have never heard of. All for the low, low price of $5.99.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 4174 Old 08-05-2005, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtree10 View Post

I just checked, HD VOD is up. The choices are Shark Tales, a couple of IMAX documentaries, and 2 movies I have never heard of. All for the low, low price of $5.99.

Just saw it myself, not very encouraging though. I was surprised how fast Comcast worked out the timing on the commercial, not usual from a cable company
post #903 of 4174 Old 08-09-2005, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

iGuide just popped up on my 5100 this morning - interesting.

its prettier than the old guide - but really doesn't do anything different...

Who is the more irrational, the man who believes in a God he does not see, or the man who is offended by the God he does not believe in? -Brad Stine
post #904 of 4174 Old 08-10-2005, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccallana View Post

iGuide just popped up on my 5100 this morning - interesting.

its prettier than the old guide - but really doesn't do anything different...

The new guide was on my 6200 Monday AM up here in Grass Valley. You would think they would put up at least one non-pay "on-demand" HD on the list so we could try it without paying $6. A test signal would be enough.

Stick in there Elk Grove. In time things settle down and start to work.

I just wish Comcast would get the levels set. Channels vary up to 5% IRE up here still after 8mo of upgrade.
post #905 of 4174 Old 08-10-2005, 09:45 PM
Advanced Member

Thats a good point - they have a cable test channel - 888 I think - why do they not have a signal up on that channel? I'd love an HD test signal. DVE only works so far

Who is the more irrational, the man who believes in a God he does not see, or the man who is offended by the God he does not believe in? -Brad Stine
post #906 of 4174 Old 08-10-2005, 10:48 PM

i just recieved comcast hdtv dvr and have a question. I recieved the motorola 6412 and in the booklet it says that it has 2 tuners. However I have only one connection on the back. Is this normal for comast to install only 1 tuner? I am coming from directv where I used a directivo and having 2 turners is a must.
post #907 of 4174 Old 08-11-2005, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dresche4 View Post

i just recieved comcast hdtv dvr and have a question. I recieved the motorola 6412 and in the booklet it says that it has 2 tuners. However I have only one connection on the back. Is this normal for comast to install only 1 tuner? I am coming from directv where I used a directivo and having 2 turners is a must.

Cable box needs not two lines to make two-tuner work, unlike satellite which has polarity issue from the dish which required separate lines.

You need to look into how to program your remote to take the advantage of the two-tuner capability on your 6412. The information is in the HDTV DVR/Recorders forum. And hopefully your Comcast installer has already set the box's HD output (1080i or 720p) right for you, if not, information is also available in that forum for you to make adjustments.
post #908 of 4174 Old 08-11-2005, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dresche4 View Post

It has 2 tuners. You can record one channel while viewing another and/or use picture in picture.

http://broadband.motorola.com/dvr/dct6412.asp
post #909 of 4174 Old 08-25-2005, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Hello...... Hello..... hello

Is there an echo in here - been mighty quiet....

post #910 of 4174 Old 08-25-2005, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccallana View Post

Hello...... Hello..... hello

Is there an echo in here - been mighty quiet....

hello... hello. hello this is echo responding
post #911 of 4174 Old 08-25-2005, 01:35 PM

Hi folks,

Just had my Comcast cable hooked up last week (I'm in El Dorado Hills). I've had Directv for the past year and decided to switch as my contract will be up and the end of Sept. Kinda cool since I have both services working in tandem right now. Main reason for switching is that I wanted the local channels and FSN in Hi Def. My off air antennae will only pickup NBC/chnl3. INHD is much better than HDNet too. Decided to rent two hd boxes. One for the hdtv and the other I run into my computer monitor via a component->VGA transcoder (VD-Z3). The colors aren't as rich as the hdtv, but the picture is super sharp! I'm now ready for football season. I hear that Directv will be adding ESPN2hd Sept 9th. Hope comcast keeps pace with them.
post #912 of 4174 Old 08-25-2005, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by folsomparty View Post

Hi folks,

Just had my Comcast cable hooked up last week (I'm in El Dorado Hills). I've had Directv for the past year and decided to switch as my contract will be up and the end of Sept. Kinda cool since I have both services working in tandem right now. Main reason for switching is that I wanted the local channels and FSN in Hi Def. My off air antennae will only pickup NBC/chnl3. INHD is much better than HDNet too. Decided to rent two hd boxes. One for the hdtv and the other I run into my computer monitor via a component->VGA transcoder (VD-Z3). The colors aren't as rich as the hdtv, but the picture is super sharp! I'm now ready for football season. I hear that Directv will be adding ESPN2hd Sept 9th. Hope comcast keeps pace with them.

Welcome to the "darkside". Since you made the switch, you may want to try the DVR.

Here is a link to the remaining baseball games in HD on FSN:
http://www.fsnbayarea.com/hd/

The Giants are in HD tomorrow. The FSN games are shown on 920 (It will pre-empt inHD2 programming).

If you are a Kings fan, several home games last year were in HD on the Special Events channel (925). So we should get some this year as well.

There's a thread that says Comcast may add ESPN2 by Jan but I'd take that with a grain of salt.
post #913 of 4174 Old 08-25-2005, 06:01 PM

I've seen a couple A's/Giants games already....nice! Looking forward to the Kings too. I was wondering what that Special Events channel was. Seems like a waste of space. Be nice if Comcast just used it to simulcast other networks hd shows like SciFi's Battlestar, TNT's NBA games or whatever....just some sort of hd content.
post #914 of 4174 Old 08-26-2005, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I've seen a couple A's/Giants games already....nice! Looking forward to the Kings too. I was wondering what that Special Events channel was. Seems like a waste of space. Be nice if Comcast just used it to simulcast other networks hd shows like SciFi's Battlestar, TNT's NBA games or whatever....just some sort of hd content.

They also used it last year for some NFL Network stuff. I wish they would use it for the FSN games.
post #915 of 4174 Old 08-26-2005, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi folks,

Welcome. Did you try getting the Dish Buybakc promo. Is about 400 bucks in credits since you are a DBS customer who willb e cancelling. If not you might want to call them and as about it? Also if you don't have the DVR box get some they're worth it as long as you get a good one
post #916 of 4174 Old 08-27-2005, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucuy View Post

Welcome. Did you try getting the Dish Buybakc promo. Is about 400 bucks in credits since you are a DBS customer who willb e cancelling. If not you might want to call them and as about it? Also if you don't have the DVR box get some they're worth it as long as you get a good one

I didn't do the $400 dish buy back as I wanted my Directv system left as is. That way if Comcast suks I can switch back without any hassles. They did give me a discounted rate for 18 months with no contract. They said I'd have to show the installer my D* bill do get the discount. When I asked him if he wanted to see it, he said no it doesn't matter. I'm curious to see how aggressive D* will be to keep my business when I call to disconnect next month. I'm definitely mulling over the DVR....even though I've never been into recording shows.
post #917 of 4174 Old 08-28-2005, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I didn't do the $400 dish buy back as I wanted my Directv system left as is. That way if Comcast suks I can switch back without any hassles. They did give me a discounted rate for 18 months with no contract. They said I'd have to show the installer my D* bill do get the discount. When I asked him if he wanted to see it, he said no it doesn't matter. I'm curious to see how aggressive D* will be to keep my business when I call to disconnect next month. I'm definitely mulling over the DVR....even though I've never been into recording shows.

What kind of discount they gave you for 18 months?
post #918 of 4174 Old 08-29-2005, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The discount that they might have given you I think it is the same as the Dish buyback in terms of credits. Some people get the 400 split in 12 monts some others get it split on 18 months.

BTW I also did not cancel my DBS sub (E*).
post #919 of 4174 Old 08-29-2005, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone had bad reception with KOVR13 CH913?
post #920 of 4174 Old 08-29-2005, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Everything seems to be fine tonight. I had some glitches on a recording last week sometime, but nothing really significant.
post #921 of 4174 Old 08-29-2005, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

My recordings broke up a lot from this past weekend, tried to schedule tonight's Dave's show, you know the first of his shows in HDTV, still got bad reception a few hours ago, will check again.

Can't wait to see Letterman's look right into the HD cam
post #922 of 4174 Old 08-30-2005, 11:58 AM

Quote:

Watching the CSI Miami rerun last night, the screen went black and displayed "input signal lost" (or something like that). It only affected 913, and the program was back within 5 minutes.
post #923 of 4174 Old 08-31-2005, 12:39 PM

Quote:

What kind of discount they gave you for 18 months?

The discount is $25 a month for 18 months.
post #924 of 4174 Old 09-02-2005, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The discount is $25 a month for 18 months.

That makes it $450, better than the $400 buyback we had

I have had a lot of 913 breakups lately, no other HD channels were affected.
post #925 of 4174 Old 09-03-2005, 09:33 AM

Quote:

That makes it $450, better than the $400 buyback we had

I have had a lot of 913 breakups lately, no other HD channels were affected.

I've had some breakups of 913 too. I wonder if it is Comcast or Channel 13. KOVR is going through a lot of changes (for the better) since Viacom bought them from cheapskate Sinclair. Maybe they'll be the first to broadcast local news in HD in Sac...at least from the studio.
post #926 of 4174 Old 09-06-2005, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone heard anything about the possibility of getting either UPN or the WB in the near future?
post #927 of 4174 Old 09-06-2005, 02:00 PM

Also, any word on getting ESPN2 or TNT in the HD lineup. I know Comcast has a deal with TNT in other areas. Anyone know what the holdup is around here? Also, I believe they are negotiating with ESPN to get the deuce but now word as of yet. With D* bringing ESPN2 online onthe 9th I may look that direction in the near future.

It seems like competition for the HD prgramming dollar is going to heat up in the very near future. In the end, I hope that will be good for the consumers.
post #928 of 4174 Old 09-06-2005, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntifik View Post

Also, any word on getting ESPN2 or TNT in the HD lineup. I know Comcast has a deal with TNT in other areas. Anyone know what the holdup is around here?

Last I heard, Comcast Sacramento has some bandwidth limitations. Not that I completely believe it, but hopefully that issue will be resolved soon. I'd be more concerned if parts of the Bay Area had TNT and we were still without.
post #929 of 4174 Old 09-06-2005, 10:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowl View Post

Last I heard, Comcast Sacramento has some bandwidth limitations. Not that I completely believe it, but hopefully that issue will be resolved soon. I'd be more concerned if parts of the Bay Area had TNT and we were still without.

I agree about TNT, that's why I asked about UPN and the WB--those channels are local issues not national. The last "official" information on UPN was way back at the end of March from Bob H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hess View Post

KMAX is a Viacom owned and operated station. Not quite as simple as it might appear. Our company is working with Comcast to secure a position on their systems for the O&O UPN stations.

Bob

post #930 of 4174 Old 09-07-2005, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member

The 9th inning of a Giant dodger game and the have to screw up the feed. I've been talking to a guy at comcast who assures me the issue is inHDs and not comcast. I've been talking to him for about 10 mins. I finally convinced him to contact someone about it. This sucks big time.

Edit--Got a number to inHD. A guy is attempting to help...we will see if they can fix
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page