Sacramento, CA - Comcast - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 4174 Old 09-08-2004, 11:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
DiscHD and ESPNHD are still fine - its just the InHDs that are gone. I'm waiting for a rep to show up on the chat (was already on line with them on my internet service - its been acting up too)

If what you are saying is true, and its going to cost me 10 more bucks to keep my HDs, then I may be shopping as well.

Who is the more irrational, the man who believes in a God he does not see, or the man who is offended by the God he does not believe in? -Brad Stine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 4174 Old 09-09-2004, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by jacmyoung
I just called Comcast, and was told starting today, to get DiscoveryHD and ESPNHD, we must subscribe to both the Standard Cable ($42.95) and Digital Classic (9.95), and to get InHD and InHD2 the Basic Cable ($12.01) plus the Digital Classic are required, with $12.01 we can only get OTA locals. I have a feeling InHD and InHD2 will soon be bait-and-switched to a higher tier as well.

I am looking to get SBC DSL for my broadband service, after that Comcast will be out of my house for good. I use Dishnetwork DVRs because Comcast still doesn't have any DVR service, I will not pay $58 just for the 4 HD channels. And I will save on broadband as well.

I didn't get any error as ccallana did today. But this sux if Comcast is going to req the standard cable plus digital classic just to get all HD channels. I'm really thinking of switching back to DirecTV now, and have SBC DSL as you stated as my board-band. I'm not willing to pay so much, just to get mostly analog stuff and some HD contents. I would too would save a lot of money by doing the DirecTV and SBC option vs Comcast for both. Cable prices are high as it is, and to force people to give into higher plans to get HD, that is lame. Just my 2 cents. Later guys.
post #93 of 4174 Old 09-09-2004, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

So how much are you guys paying? If neither of you are paying for the standard cable service and still have those four channels, I will call Comcast again. Must be my box acting up but since at least two of us reporting problems at the same time I don't know. What I know is Comcast CSRs are the last to know anything so what she told me may not be true.
post #94 of 4174 Old 09-09-2004, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

I have expanded basic (~$43) + HD ($5) - gives me basically 3-75 analog, and 903, 906, 908, 910, 919, 920, 922, 923

I also have 2 other TVs in the house - which is why I have been reluctant to go to a satellite service. Once the extra boxes get added in, I end up paying more. Sure I get a few more channels, and they are all digital, but I really don't need more channels -

Oh, and InHD and InHD2 are still down this morning. I got tired of waiting for the online chat people @ 11:30 last nite and sent an email. I see what they have to say today.

Who is the more irrational, the man who believes in a God he does not see, or the man who is offended by the God he does not believe in? -Brad Stine
post #95 of 4174 Old 09-09-2004, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Comcast is starting a Central Valley regional sports network with the Kings as the anchor. Here is the article:

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports...11596678c.html

Of note:
The all-sports network - whose formation represents a major offensive by Comcast in the pitched battle for cable and satellite customers - does not yet have a channel position, a start date or even a name.

But it does have plans to broadcast 58 NBA games during the Kings' 2004-05 season, several in high-definition.

On sports radio this morning a rep from comcast said they will also have the games and other Kings features on-demand.

Kings in Hi-Def wooohoooo!!!!!!!!!!!
post #96 of 4174 Old 09-09-2004, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by ccallana
I have expanded basic (~$43) + HD ($5) - gives me basically 3-75 analog, and 903, 906, 908, 910, 919, 920, 922, 923

I also have 2 other TVs in the house - which is why I have been reluctant to go to a satellite service. Once the extra boxes get added in, I end up paying more. Sure I get a few more channels, and they are all digital, but I really don't need more channels -

Oh, and InHD and InHD2 are still down this morning. I got tired of waiting for the online chat people @ 11:30 last nite and sent an email. I see what they have to say today.

I have a feeling that you now need to add the $9.95 digital classic to get InHD and InHD2 back, which will add up to the $58 I said earlier.
post #97 of 4174 Old 09-09-2004, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Verification from Comcast - InHD1 and 2 are now part of Digital Classic for $9.95 more per month.

Wish this would have been advertised to us! Dang them.

If they move DiscHD and ESPNHD as well - I'm considering getting out. Not cool....

post #98 of 4174 Old 09-09-2004, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Wait are you saying you have DiscHD without digital classic? When DiscHD first came on, I could not get it until I added the digital classic package. Of course now they want the standard analog too. But in theory all theses 4 HD channels require a minimum digital package and it makes sense to do so.

I am looking into SBC DSL at this time which cost only $26.90/mo. I believe.
post #99 of 4174 Old 09-09-2004, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Yes - When I signed up for the HD add to my expanded basic, I got NBC, ABC, INHD 1&2 and ESPNHD. Then they added DiscoveryHD, and recently PBS and Fox. Then just yesterday InHD1/2 disappeared. DiscHD and ESPNHD are still there - hopefully they don't move.

SBC DSL is either 26.99 or 36.99 depending on what speeds you want. To get close to current Comcast HSI speeds you need to go to the 36.99 plan. I've considered moving to all SBC - DISH and DSL - but the cost doesn't work out well on dish with 3 TVs.

post #100 of 4174 Old 09-09-2004, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

My Comcast broadband has becoming slower over time now under 200kbps.

I have Dishentwork now, one 522 DVR and one 811 HD box, both were free with programming contract. The 522 has two tuners and two outputs supporting two TVs for indepedent recording and viewing. The 522 has a $5 DVR fee but no extra charge for the second TV, 811 adds $5 so it wasn't too bad for three TVs. But I don't know what are the current promotions or rules. If your only concern is the three-TV fee, then give them a look again.

As for Comcast and for now, I can easily add the HD package on Dishnetwork to get ESPN and DiscHD back, plus HDNet, HDNet Movies and TNTHD. I will lose InHD and InHD2.
post #101 of 4174 Old 09-09-2004, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by gtree10
Comcast is starting a Central Valley regional sports network with the Kings as the anchor. Here is the article:

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports...11596678c.html

Of note:
The all-sports network - whose formation represents a major offensive by Comcast in the pitched battle for cable and satellite customers - does not yet have a channel position, a start date or even a name.

But it does have plans to broadcast 58 NBA games during the Kings' 2004-05 season, several in high-definition.

On sports radio this morning a rep from comcast said they will also have the games and other Kings features on-demand.

Kings in Hi-Def wooohoooo!!!!!!!!!!!

Hehe. Dude, you beat me to it, I was going to post it here too. You got me early though, I didn't find out until I was watching news at 5pm =). Went to sacbee website just now and read up on it. I was happy to see that some games will be in HD =) NICE!!!!. I hope it will be in 1080i format though. This would be sweet. Also, if Comcast Sacramento would make a separate channel just for FSN Bay Area HD and KINGS HD, this would be a lot better then cutting into INHD2.

OH DAMN!!!, with the new changes, not being able to get INHD and INHD2 w/o the digital classic, this mean no FSN BAY AREA HD, this just occurred to me. This sucks!!!. I'm on a promotion period right now, its Digital Cable Plus w/ HBO for 30 bux a month, but it's almost over. I was planning to switch back to just expanded basic cable, $43 or so. Plus add in the $5 fee for HD. I really don't care too much for Digital Cable, just as long as I get my HD, I'm happy. We see how it goes now, since they now have a KINGS deal. Will DirecTV match it, or add it on? We will just have to wait and see. Also, will they offer games in HD for our local market? This mostly will not happen vs. Comcast showing it in HD. I will stay with Comcast for many reason. One of it would be, I have lots of TVs, and cable just cost less in this matter. It would be nice to have every thing all digital, but it's not in my budget right now.

As for DISH, I came from them. Honestly, I really don't like their equipments compare to DirecTV w/ Hughes. There no comparison. I will never go back to DISH as a SAT provider. It wasn't just the equipment that made me leave, but just the whole service, it was out of order and out of sync. I'm not even talking about the video and audio. I was happy with DirecTV, but had to leave for moving reason, and didn't wanted to go back into a contract right now. Tried DISH w/o no contract, didn't like it within 3 days. Now with Comcast. I'm content with it, other then several early billing errors, overall its okay. As long as price doesn't go too high, I will stay with Comcast and stick it out with blah! analog services. I just hope Comcast Sacramento will upgrade to have all of their analogs switched over to digital. This would be great. Of course keeping the same price =) If this happens, I will have a hard time going back to DirecTV.

As for SBC DSL, I would rather get Cable any day, with everything that I'm getting. 3MB and varies to 4MB sometimes. With DSL, yeah I know this is off topic =) but, there a contract, and at the end of that contract, it will go back to reg price for which ever service you got. ie, the $36.99 plan, will be approx $59.99 instead. A little more then cable now. Also, most of us now have cell phones, so there very little, or no need for a reg phone line, which could cost you up to $18 after tax. This would be added on as a requirement just to get DSL. Comcast Cable is approx $43.99 or so, with cable service at any level. So when you really think about it, Comcast Cable and TV service is a pretty good deal together.

Could anybody tell me your experiences with getting basic $12.01 w/ $5 HD fee in the past? Did your 6200 lock out all your analog channels? Also, was a filter installed? Just curious =)
post #102 of 4174 Old 09-10-2004, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Look what I found out at Comcast site. Of course, I place my zip so it got to Sacramento. I clicked on the HDTV logo that Comcast had. I stated all of Comcast Sacramento offers. They didn't even update the new channel lineup that occurred on 9/1 Anyways, this is what I found.

*HDTV broadcast feeds are included in limited basic service. A subscription to HBO, Showtime, Cinemax or Starz! is required to receive the HDTV channel from that service. HDTV Programming is limited to the programs delivered to Comcast in HDTV format by the underlying program provider. Programming is subject to change. Discovery HD Theater, Fox Sports Network, ESPN, INHD and INHD2 are included with a subscription to Comcast Digital Cable. An additional monthly equipment charge may apply.

Based on this statement, it means that all of us will need Digital Classic just to get any of these channels. I know it might not be true right now as some of you are still getting ESPNHD and DISCHD. But I think it is going to end soon. As stated earlier, Comcast will only include with the $5 only the OTA HD if you are NOT a digital sub.
post #103 of 4174 Old 09-10-2004, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

That was always the Comcast plan. That statement has pretty much always been there. It was a bonus that we have been getting them this long without needing digital cable..
post #104 of 4174 Old 09-10-2004, 09:32 AM

Okay here's my dilemma. I am getting the nice new 50" plasma installed Monday. I live in the Sacramento region (a little south of town) and am a D* subscriber for a few years.

I am trying to decide whether I should upgrade my D* system to their HD offering, or convert over to Comcast. The only experience I have had with Comcast was when i recently lived in an apartment in Mountain View for a month while undergoing a medical procedure, and frankly the receiver and it's menu guide was a total bear to deal with (from a newb perspective without any sort of manual to help with).

The wife didn't like the Comcast menu at all down there, so I know her vote.

From a HT perspective, I would like to have the best HD experience, and would be hooking all of this up through a Denon 3805 receiver. The plasma is capable of handling 480p, 720p & 1080i signals & has a single hdmi port.

$$$'s aren't the number one factor, programming and system integration are, but it can influence the decision. So any of you Sactown HD/HT enthusiasts have any advice?

Thanks,
Dere

Fighting the beast that is multiple myeloma.
post #105 of 4174 Old 09-10-2004, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
If you want to go all out and get a D* HD DirecTivo, you will be the happiest.

If you are a big sports fan instead of caring about DVR, you might want to go Comcast because of their Giants/Kings coverage. They will show every single Kings game this year.

I stayed D* and upgraded to HD about a month ago. This Kings news has me wondering if maybe I should have switched.

xbl/gamecenter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

psn/twitter: ileff
my app:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #106 of 4174 Old 09-10-2004, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Check the "local programming" forum - there are a couple of active threads on Sacramento - one, OTA and one Comcast. I'm on Comcast and so far things look very good - only issue is they are starting to move their HD offerings to the "Digital Classic" tier - I've been able to receive them with just expanded basic service + HD box.

post #107 of 4174 Old 09-10-2004, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

It's an easy answer.... If you like TiVo, want HD.... There's only one choice...

HD-Tivo with DirecTV!

I couldn't be happier with mine....

(not a huge sports fan though, so don't know if Kings games will be HD this year or not.... but If the local affiliate who broadcasts the games are doing HD, then you should be able to get it OTA...)
post #108 of 4174 Old 09-10-2004, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

A combination of services would have been the best answer 2 weeks ago, when InHD and ESPN were unencrypted QAM on Comcast.

Now, however, it's a crapshoot. If you want the Kings home games, Comcast is the only option. Comcast doesn't have KOVR(CBS) and likely won't for some time. They also don't currently carry WB or UPN if there are programs in HD there that you are interested in.

My personal opinion, if you can get a good signal with an OTA antenna, get Directv and integrate with your antenna. If you don't want to put any money out of pocket, go with Comcast.

The rumor running around is that Directv will be offering a huge number of new HD channels in the not too distant future. At this time, tho, it's all rumor.

Bottom line, weigh the positives and negatives of each, and make the decision that's best for you now (not what might or might not be in the future).
post #109 of 4174 Old 09-10-2004, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Threads Merged (Post #104)
post #110 of 4174 Old 09-10-2004, 07:54 PM

Liked: 12
Comcast is very pricey if you want all the HD available, I have Comcast and like it and really like what they adding. But not having a good guide (supposedly a new guide without stupid ads is coming *crosses fingers*) and no DVR/On Demand in this area sucks. Anyone else notice how they are just reeling people in by getting the Kings and raising stuff to Digital Classic, etc. etc.? Bleh, guess there really isn't much choice.
post #111 of 4174 Old 09-10-2004, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by Derechai
Okay here's my dilemma. I am getting the nice new 50" plasma installed Monday. I live in the Sacramento region (a little south of town) and am a D* subscriber for a few years.

I am trying to decide whether I should upgrade my D* system to their HD offering, or convert over to Comcast. The only experience I have had with Comcast was when i recently lived in an apartment in Mountain View for a month while undergoing a medical procedure, and frankly the receiver and it's menu guide was a total bear to deal with (from a newb perspective without any sort of manual to help with).

The wife didn't like the Comcast menu at all down there, so I know her vote.

From a HT perspective, I would like to have the best HD experience, and would be hooking all of this up through a Denon 3805 receiver. The plasma is capable of handling 480p, 720p & 1080i signals & has a single hdmi port.

$$$'s aren't the number one factor, programming and system integration are, but it can influence the decision. So any of you Sactown HD/HT enthusiasts have any advice?

Thanks,
Dere

Wells, it depends on what you are trying to get when it comes to HD. If you want quality in picture, go with COMCAST. I know the menus are crappy, but hey, it's gets by. It's missing the nice stuffs (SD channel logos, HD logos, etc.) that are on DirecTV receivers. From the post above, I guess Comcast is upgrading their menus? I wonder what source you are getting this from. Anyways. Comcast will cost a little more, but like you said, if money isn't a number 1 factor, then go with Comcast. It's not all digital, but if that really bothers you, then I think you should stick with DirecTV. I was with DirecTV in the past as well. I really do think them over DISH. BUT with the HD quality being as long as 6 MB/s. I really don't know anymore if DirecTV has true HD pictures anymore. If your a football fan, then yeah of course stick with DirecTV if you are going to get the NFL package. I'm really happy with Comcast offerings and quality when it comes to HD. Just don't like the menus. Wish they could be better, but hey, we will see in the near future if they will improve them or not. With the KINGS being in HD on Comcast network too, you will get more KINGS in HD versus KXTV 10 doing all of their home games in HD, which is approx 10 games or so. I think Comcast having every KINGS game, will bring all those SAT people back to Comcast. There really no reason to get the NBA league pass on SATs anymore unless your a LAKERS fan..eh!!!!!
post #112 of 4174 Old 09-10-2004, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

It now hits me that cable is expensive. I was told by Comcast in the past two days several times that basically I was lucky to get ESPNHD, InHD and InHD2 with just $12 plus a $5 HD box fee. Now I have to pay for the standard cable and the digital classic to get the above three plus DiscoveryHD. And as I understand if and when they start to offer the DVR boxes, we will pay an extra $10 for each. So to replace my two-tuner 522 I will need two DVRs from Comcast and pay $25 more, that is if they do make them available some time down the road.

All this time I was thinking cable was finally waking up and trying to compete with DBS. I know the Kings deal will get them some new subs, but didn't DirecTV say they are looking into this also? Guess I can live with Kings games on KXTV, ESPNHD and TNTHD from Dishnetwork.
post #113 of 4174 Old 09-10-2004, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jacmyoung
It now hits me that cable is expensive. I was told by Comcast in the past two days several times that basically I was lucky to get ESPNHD, InHD and InHD2 with just $12 plus a $5 HD box fee. Now I have to pay for the standard cable and the digital classic to get the above three plus DiscoveryHD. And as I understand if and when they start to offer the DVR boxes, we will pay an extra $10 for each. So to replace my two-tuner 522 I will need two DVRs from Comcast and pay $25 more, that is if they do make them available some time down the road.

I thought is was pretty well known (at least around this forum), that it was just a matter of time before Comcast moved those channels into the actual digital packages where they belonged? I'm actually suprised it took this long.

When Comcast offers their DVR either later this year or early next, it will be a dual tuner box, so you won't need 2 boxes.

Actual costs of cable versus satellite are strictly on a per person/household basis. With the standard Directv package at about 33 dollars, add 11 for the HD Pack, plus one extra reciever fee for the bedroom, and you are at just about the same price as Comcast is charging. Still they are a little higher, but very close, and no equipment to purchase.

For me currently, Comcast is just fine. The HD wars are just starting to heat up, and I'm content to sit with Comcast until there is more content and there is a true leader. One or two stations here and there doesn't make one provider ahead of the other, at least in my opinion. YMMV
post #114 of 4174 Old 09-11-2004, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

However for someone who don't care for all the cable channels, just the local stations and the HD channels, forcing us to pay the $43 standard package plus the $9.95 digital pack sounds to me the old cable not a new cable earger to compete with DBS. I had no problem paying the $9.95 digital package to get the HD channels.

As far as the proposed dual tuner DVR from Comcast, it is not exactly the same as the Dishnetwork 522 which is intended to support DVR services to two separate TVs each watching separate shows. 522 and the similar two tuner digital boxes from DBS solve the issue of high receiver charges if you have too many TVs. Instead of each TV charged $5 box fee, the same fee supports two TVs.

Just an example, with my 522 and 811, my total cost is $49.95 for AT60, local package and HD package to support 3 TVs, with all SD channels DVR capable. My Comcast bill will be $58 for the similar lineup without DVR, for three TVs also and when the DVR comes about, add at least $10 more.

And DBS boxes do not cost anything these days, unlike what cable tries to tell you. When I am ready to swtich to DSL, I will give Cocmast one last call to see whether they care about losing my $70 monthly contribution or not.
post #115 of 4174 Old 09-12-2004, 08:52 PM

FOX HD is very satisfying for me. Although there was annoying audio drop outs during the niners game, the picture was superb. I am sure they will get that fixed as this is the first day of being in HD. And they even put Duece Bigalow in HD. Good job for comcast and FOX.

On another note... when is NBC going to be in DD5.1? I dont recall it ever showing in DD5.1.
post #116 of 4174 Old 09-12-2004, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, FOX HD was nice, during the Tampa vs Wash game, there was was no audio drops at all. As for the Niners vs Falcons, there was very annoying dropouts. I had a chance to view both on Comcast and OTA. The dropouts were on OTA as well, so mostly likely not a Comcast issue. Yeah, I hope the fix it by next week. Today in Sacramento, we had 3 HD games, 4 if you have EPSNHD, which I'm sure you all here do. 5 if you count ABC. WOW!!! 5 HD games this week. Almost like getting DirecTV ST HD, hehe. Oh, to think about it, DirecTV won't be showing MNF in HD, hehe. One thing good about OTA or Comcast. I noticed during Deuce Bigalow, the "FOX40" bug was cut off on my LCD display. But my SONY CRT shows the whole sign, right to the edge though =). Of course LCD display should have less or very none overscan. I wonder if our FOX40 could actually push that logo to the left more =). Also, I think that bug was added on by our local FOX40, but why? =) hehe. I think some markets were getting Deuce Bigalow w/o any logos. Wellz, I should be glad that they were 720p ready today right? Both of my STB are upconverting to 1080i. The FOX games today look CBS like, I mean, its not as clear as CBS of course, but it seem to be more colorful with richer colors. I guess 720p has its disadvantages and advantages. Half of this post could of been on the SAC OTA thread, but oh wellz =)
post #117 of 4174 Old 09-13-2004, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

720p can't beat 1080i on resolution and clear details but is a big step up from 480p. The CBS Raiders game was one of the best HD game I have seen, picture quality wise.

Just an update on my Comcast situation. Called last night to cancel everything, the lady offered me a special deal if I stayed. Standard cable for $19.99 for one year, plus $5 for the HD box, she said with that I would get back InHD, InHD2, ESPNHD and DiscoveryHD. I am skeptical since InHD and InHD2 appeared needing digital classic now. But she insisted the deal she gave me will include all four so we will see.

Will not get it until next weekend though, a tech needs to take a trip to remove the filter outside. At least they are trying.

I won't suggest everyone try this though, my account has logged so many communications about the lack of DVR and HD and the price increase that was apparent to her I was serious about leaving, and really it may sound a very good deal to many, but to me it is still a price increase since I have Dishnetwork DVR service, no need for anything other than the HD channels from Comcast.

Now if and when Comcast dual-tuner DVRs are out, I will seriously consider switching all my TV services to Cocmast with this deal in place.
post #118 of 4174 Old 09-13-2004, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

I was not that impressed with the 9er game yesterday - the game play looked *ok*, but the crowd still looked 480p. The MNF and ESPN games I've seen look a lot better. I don't get CBS-HD, so I can't compare those...

post #119 of 4174 Old 09-13-2004, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally posted by wunautica
I wonder if our FOX40 could actually push that logo to the left more =). Also, I think that bug was added on by our local FOX40, but why? =) hehe. I think some markets were getting Deuce Bigalow w/o any logos.

Some info on the bug: The stations supplied their logo to FOX, and FOX uploaded it into the splicer for each one. The on-screen position and the "on/off" times are totally controlled by FOX. There have been some "issues" with the whole bug thing though, so it's not surprising to hear that some stations may have had a bug-free presentation. That's not the way it's supposed to be -- but if it happens, enjoy!

--Bill
post #120 of 4174 Old 09-13-2004, 10:15 PM

Yep,
Happened to me also. Lost INHD 1&2. I was NOT a happy camper having not known in advance.
To think that I am paying $110/month and they want to charge me $10 more to get INHD channels...I am starting to lose patience.

I must admit that they certainly did a good job of taking me away from D-TV. All because I bought a DLP set...

Now I am trying to see if Tracy CA can get waivers from the networks so that I can get the West Coast feeds for the majors in HD...If it even works that way.
I am so confused right now.

-MW in Tracy

-CrashMW-
Vizio 60 e601i-a3, Kenwood VR-N8100, 5.1 Klipsch, XB360, PS3
WD Live Hub (1GB), Harmony One remote with PS3 adapter
XB Live: MDW195

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page