Sacramento, CA - Comcast - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4174 Old 07-29-2004, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys,

I didn't notice that we had one, so I'm starting it here. I hope that you guys will read up and give your opinions and experiences with Comcast Sacramento. Here is a current lineup of HD channels.

(UPDATED on 01/24/2008) 22 TOTAL HDTV CHANNELS

903 NBC HD (KCRA 3)
906 PBS HD (KVIE 6)
908 FOX HD (KTXL 40)
910 ABC HD (KXTV 10)
912 CW HD (KMAX 31)
913 CBS HD (KOVR 13)

915 NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC HD
917 NFL NETWORK HD (SPORTS ENTER. PACK NEEDED)
918 A&E HD
919 MOJO
920 FSN BAY AREA HD
922 DISCOVERY HD THEATER
923 ESPN HD
924 ESPN 2 HD
925 SPECIAL EVENTS HD / CSN WEST HD
926 TNT HD
927 UNIVERSAL HD
928 MHD

930 HBO HD (WEST)
932 CINEMAX HD (WEST)
934 STARZ! HD (WEST)
936 SHOWTIME HD (WEST)

I only recently been a Comcast HD subcriber. For only 2 weeks. As far as I know, I really like the HD contents. I'm surprise on how excellent INHD and INHD2 are. They are way better then HDNet and HDMovies. Coming from both DirecTV and Dish. I got to say that PQ is far superior on Comcast then it is on both SAT. And for only a $5 hardware fee to get HD, its well worth it. I got the Motorola HD receiver, one with fire-wire and USB. I don't know the model at this time, sorry. As far as I know, its a really good receiver. It flips channel really quickly, which I really like over DISH. DirecTV wasn't that bad. Think it really all depends on what receiver you get. I have a black Digital box as well, that really flips channel rather slow, like how my SAT did.

Base on the list above, I think we really have a great amount of content. As for FSN Bay Area HD, I got a chance to see today's game, A's vs. Ranger. PQ was really nice. I think it was on 1080i, staying that I've seen a lot of ESPN HD baseball, trust me, it was 1080i. hehe. This got really really excited, because I really like the Gaints, and of course I love the KINGS!!! I hope the KINGS will work out a cable deal this year, and hope they could be in HD also. I also hope that FSN Bay Area HD will be in 1080i only, the Kings would look really good in 1080i. Saying that I had a chance to see them in 1080i last season vs. the Mavs. It was so much better then 720p. Saying that FOX is going 720p as a network, will FSN follow or will their sports division be in 1080i only? I read somewhere that the Gaints game will be on tomorrow 7/30 also. I hope so =) I know the other day, the Padres vs. Gaints game was blackout =( Because it was shown locally on KMAX, errr. I hope there will not be a blackout tomorrow though.

The first HD channel that was shown at my house when I got it installed 2 weeks ago, was the Yanks vs. Sox game. Thats when I realize that I made a good choice in Comcast, being that I wouldn't of seen this on either DirecTV or DISH. Something about local cable HD have a nice ring to it. I do want to state that there is a lack of local HD channels in Sacramento. But I don't mind. I still have my old HD receiver from DirecTV, and I'm able to pick up all of our local HD channels =). Of course, if Comcast will add them later, it will be a very nice thing, no more worries about the signals being lost hehe.

****UPDATE, I no longer have Comcast and switched back to DirecTV due to the massive HD contents and lower price. I will miss the best PQ and a very good HD-DVR. I might come back to Comcast if they provide more HD channels and if I could afford they annual price hike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4174 Old 07-31-2004, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

I guess no one here has Comcast HD in Sacramento? Where my peeps at? I wanted to comment on the Gaints game today. Just like the A's game, was really nice PQ. Not all in HD, but close enough. With some SD shots, I don't know why, I would rather not see that shot at all then it being seen in SD. Anyways. I saw most of the game, flipped over to INHD, and saw some of the LA vs SD game also. Two baseball games in HD at the same time..wow..I was surpise =) Bonds really looks nice hitting a HR in HD..ehhe. Anyways, please comment, if not I might just have to head my way to the SF Area thread =). Come on Sactown!
post #3 of 4174 Old 07-31-2004, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

I was also surprised how little interest in Sac Town maybe folks are having too much fun under the Sun when the weather is so pleasant this year.

It is too early to say how 720p will fare agaisnt 1080i. All we see so far are ESPNHD and ABCHD which are the same equipment. I see more detailed images on most all 1080i live sports than ESPNHD on my 720p native projector, so I still suspect it is the ESPNHD equipment not 720p. I will hold my judgment till FOX HD is on line.

Comcast having InHDs and DiscoveryHD is a big step, but lack of local HDs must be filled soon for people to take it seriously. They still need to fix some minor breakups when using 6200/JVC DVHS VCRs through firewire. At least I can record InHDs fine, DiscoverHD still has some glitches.
post #4 of 4174 Old 07-31-2004, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I attempted to record "National Parks: Washington DC" last weekend to my Mits D-VHS, but got the "Error CP" message on the display. Have you actually been able to record Discovery HD? I've recorded several things from InHD without problem, but Discovery seems to have 5C enabled. I figured it was a channel wide thing...maybe not?
post #5 of 4174 Old 07-31-2004, 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by wunautica
Not all in HD, but close enough. With some SD shots, I don't know why, I would rather not see that shot at all then it being seen in SD.

That camera from behind the backstop (elevated, not field level) was
especially ugly. Fortunately I did not see much use of that camera.
Those were definitely one shots I could have missed.

Troy

ps, Sacramento (CA) Reports has many viewers, both ota and cable. Not sure if it is effective to split the ota vs cable.
post #6 of 4174 Old 07-31-2004, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by nightowl
I attempted to record "National Parks: Washington DC" last weekend to my Mits D-VHS, but got the "Error CP" message on the display. Have you actually been able to record Discovery HD? I've recorded several things from InHD without problem, but Discovery seems to have 5C enabled. I figured it was a channel wide thing...maybe not?

DiscoveryHD has 5C=1, InHDs are 5C=0. On the HD Recorder forum it was reported firmware 7.15 will fix the issue with the Mits VCR. I have on average one brief breakup every 2 minutes on DiscoveryHD through my JVC 30K. InHDs and ABC/NBC are fine.
post #7 of 4174 Old 07-31-2004, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by Troy J B
That camera from behind the backstop (elevated, not field level) was
especially ugly. Fortunately I did not see much use of that camera.
Those were definitely one shots I could have missed.

Troy

ps, Sacramento (CA) Reports has many viewers, both ota and cable. Not sure if it is effective to split the ota vs cable.

Yeah, I noticed that thread, but by me reading on it several times, it seem like like a OTA thread then it is a Sacramento TV thread. I think Sacramento should be big enough to have a separate thread for Comcast Cable, aren't we? Maybe they will come in droves soon
post #8 of 4174 Old 07-31-2004, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jacmyoung
DiscoveryHD has 5C=1, InHDs are 5C=0. On the HD Recorder forum it was reported firmware 7.15 will fix the issue with the Mits VCR. I have on average one brief breakup every 2 minutes on DiscoveryHD through my JVC 30K. InHDs and ABC/NBC are fine.

Thanks for the info. Since I've got a few HD recording options currently, I've found myself just looking at the programming and local forums more and more.

I was suprised to see the copy protection pop up, and since I record so few programs to DVHS from cable, a little annoyed.
post #9 of 4174 Old 08-01-2004, 09:49 AM

Liked: 12
Hey, thanks for making the thread, Comcast here is pretty nice. It's just that Sinclair is really frusterating and we need the locals! Also I hope we're waiting for the dual-tuner dvr =).
post #10 of 4174 Old 08-01-2004, 01:48 PM

I emailed Fox40Engineering back on July 15th and got a quick email back from Jack Davis (Chief Engineer) saying "Comcast will be putting
Fox 40 on their system later this year". No details, but that is re-assuring.

Has anybody contacted KVIE recently ? I last bugged them at the beginning of May. "We have a tentative agreement with Comcast, and they have tested our multi-channel DT signal, but there are a few other issues which cannot be resolved quickly enough to set a date or timeframe." I never
heard of comcast carrying a multi-channel signal which makes me leery of
the situation

cbs/sinclair I've given up on emailing Joanne Jackson, I was getting the "rude" vibe from her email responses. Anybody know when the
contract expires between sinclair & comcast ?

WB & UPN ? anybody ?
post #11 of 4174 Old 08-01-2004, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:

Originally posted by Troy J B
Anybody know when the contract expires between sinclair & comcast ? ...

No, but there is also another possible hitch. The contract renewal negotiations between KOVR (Sinclair) and CBS. KMAX, a CBS owned channel, could easily handle an affiliate switch.
post #12 of 4174 Old 08-01-2004, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

I really don't know much about the issue with Sinclair. I've read people talking about it, but how does it break down? Thats what I'm confused about. Well, I'm glad that FOX might be or will be added to Comcast later this year, hopefully before fall, when FOX HD rollouts. Football and HD programs..wow! Now all I really want is CBS HD. But they, I think I would nag more if I didn't get have my OTA IRD to get all of my HD locals. I feel some of our user's pain when it comes not being able to get local HD channels w/o any other source.
post #13 of 4174 Old 08-01-2004, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I really don't know much about the issue with Sinclair. I've read people talking about it, but how does it break down? Thats what I'm confused about.

Just so this thread doesn't get hijacked by the anti-sinclair folks (which seems to happen any time this issue is brought up), do a search on sinclair and comcast, that should give you more than enough info to both learn the issues and make an opinion on your own.

I had been told by a high source at Comcast that they were hopeful for a contract with KOVR by the end of first quarter of this year, which obviously didn't happen. Last I heard KVIE is a very strong possibility by the end of the year.

As for Comcast not running multi-channel feeds, it's going on in the Bay Area right now for two locals - KGO (ABC running ABC News Now) and KQED (PBS running the usual 4 PBS SD feeds during the day). In fact, in all of the ABC O&O areas, ABC News Now is being run on a seperate channel on Comcast systems with HD.

Jeff
post #14 of 4174 Old 08-02-2004, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone who is interested in HDTV should hate Sinclair I have not seen another institution that has done more to slow the HDTV development than Sinclair. Even FOX is changing in a big way.
post #15 of 4174 Old 08-02-2004, 06:07 PM

Quote:

Last I heard KVIE is a very strong possibility by the end of the year.

Technical or political (which side?) hold-up ? I thought someone with an integrated tuner had said (end of last year?) that kvie-dt was on comcast, but not in the EPG. I am guessing if that report was true, that kvie-dt was on just as a test.... it is frustrating knowing it is so close, yet so far away...

Troy
post #16 of 4174 Old 08-03-2004, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Just got a message on my STB - Comcast is moving the HD channels from the 180-200 range up into the 900s on 9/1

Don't know why though

Who is the more irrational, the man who believes in a God he does not see, or the man who is offended by the God he does not believe in? -Brad Stine
post #17 of 4174 Old 08-03-2004, 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by ccallana
Just got a message on my STB - Comcast is moving the HD channels from the 180-200 range up into the 900s on 9/1

Don't know why though

Same here... three ways of looking at it, 1) they want to put all hd channels in one area (eg they have more on the way that would not fit in the current location) or 2) they want the 180-200 for other SD channels or 3) they are just unifying the location across all the areas.

I wonder when we will get the mailer... and whether it will answer the
"why" ?

Troy
post #18 of 4174 Old 08-03-2004, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

In the Bay Area, HD channels will be moved to the 700's from 180-200.

Our PPV is 800's, Music Choice is 900's.
post #19 of 4174 Old 08-03-2004, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I got this message, or was able to check it when I got home a few hours back. I don't know if this is good or bad news. But I'm assuming that they this will give them more space to add new HD channels in? Like local multi-cast HD channels. Based on the space previously, it didn't make sense to try to fit all those channels in the current HD lineup, between 184-200. Wellz, I hope the changes on 9/1 will not effect the PQ. I hope they will add a PPV HD and stand alone FSN Bay Area HD channel, or at least not go over INHD2. Maybe FOX and PBS later this year. I really want CBS though. Of course this really doesn't matter to me when they will get the locals HD because I can pick them up with my STB OTA IRD. But it would be nice to have all of our locals in HD though w/o any extra cost of course =). Later guys.
post #20 of 4174 Old 08-03-2004, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by SonomaSearcher
In the Bay Area, HD channels will be moved to the 700's from 180-200.

Our PPV is 800's, Music Choice is 900's.

Oh, sup SonomaSearcher. As for us. as you know the HD's will be in the 900's, don't know exactly yet until they give us a more detail message later on this month. PPV are already on 800's for us, and MC are 700's. I wish our Sac Comcast would just do a total rearrangement of all channels. No so much for the standards channels, but all the digitals and HD channels.
post #21 of 4174 Old 08-18-2004, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

There is alot of talk in other local threads (like the Bay Area thread) about bandwidth, specifically whether certain areas are 350, 550, or 750 mhz. Does anyone know what the Sacramento area's is or how one would go about figuring it out?
post #22 of 4174 Old 08-19-2004, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I believe Sacramento is a 750 system, possibly greater. The easiest way to figure it out is to tune to a digital channel, turn the box off, go into the diagnostic menu (press "select"), and view channel info.

Another thing to look at is actual channels available. We currently have all HD channels that Comcast offers on a national basis.

Just out of curiousity, someone told me about a message a week or two ago talking about channel realignments or something similar. I know the HD channels will be moved on September 1, but were there other changes as well? My service was disconnected for about 2 weeks while I was moving...

Thanks for any feedback anyone can provide!

Jeff
post #23 of 4174 Old 08-19-2004, 10:11 AM

Quote:

I believe Sacramento is a 750 system, possibly greater. The easiest way to figure it out is to tune to a digital channel, turn the box off, go into the diagnostic menu (press "select"), and view channel info.

I was able to find 687MHz on the low 600 (up to 610) channels. From the dozen or so I checked, that seemed to be highest.

There have been no other re-alignment messages besides the HD. Previous channel change i recall is the addition of the foreign language channels.

Troy
post #24 of 4174 Old 08-19-2004, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Another thing to look at is actual channels available. We currently have all HD channels that Comcast offers on a national basis.

Just out of curiousity, someone told me about a message a week or two ago talking about channel realignments or something similar. I know the HD channels will be moved on September 1, but were there other changes as well? My service was disconnected for about 2 weeks while I was moving...

Thanks for any feedback anyone can provide!

Jeff

Thanks for the answer. In addition to the channel realignment, a couple of foreign language channels and at least one kids cartoon channel was being added.
post #25 of 4174 Old 08-20-2004, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

I know this might be a little late, but yeah, just some minor channels being added on Sept. 1st. No HD channels though =( The only other HD channel I really care about would be TNT-HD, due to all the Kings games. I hope Comcast will be adding this before the NBA season. Other then that, if Comcast can get FOX and CBS in HD, that would be cool too, but no big rush, because I'm using my Hughes E-86 from Directv for OTA locals, I'm getting all of the channels other then KMAX, its here and there =) I could care less. I hope that the Kings will work out a cable deal this year. So we could see the Kings in HD on FSN Bay Area HD =) That or seeing the Kings play with the Warriors everytime they are on HD hehehe. Later.
post #26 of 4174 Old 08-20-2004, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

If Kings will have a few HD games on TNTHD, they will be blacked out here. I'd certainly have FOXHD and CBSHD on Comcast as the first priority because these two are going to drive Comcast HD subcriptions without a doubt. We know FOXHD will be on before the NFL season, but CBS is unlikely to be on soon.

Very few people care to use OTA.
post #27 of 4174 Old 08-21-2004, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Wellz, w/o the cable deal I'm sure that KXTV 10 would be picking games that aren't on TV at all period. This will not black out any games shown on TNT HD, just as long as KXTV 10 isn't showing the same game. Which won't make sense for Kings fans in Sacramento, being that games won't be shown on TV as much as usual. Why double out on a game when people can watch it on cable too.

With DTV with intergrated tuners, I'm sure OTA will be used a lot. For people that don't have cable, either can't afford it, or have SAT service, where they could use the built in OTA tuner in their STB.
post #28 of 4174 Old 08-21-2004, 01:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Hi Guys,

I didn't notice that we had one, so I'm starting it here. I hope that you guys will read up and give your opinions and experiences with Comcast Sacramento. Here is a current lineup of HD channels as of JULY 29, 2004.

184 ABC HD (KXTV 10)
185 NBC HD (KCRA 3)

190 ESPN HD
191 INHD
192 INHD2
193 DISCOVERY HD THEATER

197 HBO HD (WEST FEED)
198 SHOWTIME HD (WEST FEED)
199 CINEMAX HD (WEST FEED)
200 STARZ! HD (WEST FEED)

I only recently been a Comcast HD subcriber. For only 2 weeks. As far as I know, I really like the HD contents. I'm surprise on how excellent INHD and INHD2 are. They are way better then HDNet and HDMovies. Coming from both DirecTV and Dish. I got to say that PQ is far superior on Comcast then it is on both SAT. And for only a $5 hardware fee to get HD, its well worth it. I got the Motorola HD receiver, one with fire-wire and USB. I don't know the model at this time, sorry. As far as I know, its a really good receiver. It flips channel really quickly, which I really like over DISH. DirecTV wasn't that bad. Think it really all depends on what receiver you get. I have a black Digital box as well, that really flips channel rather slow, like how my SAT did.

Base on the list above, I think we really have a great amount of content. As for FSN Bay Area HD, I got a chance to see today's game, A's vs. Ranger. PQ was really nice. I think it was on 1080i, staying that I've seen a lot of ESPN HD baseball, trust me, it was 1080i. hehe. This got really really excited, because I really like the Gaints, and of course I love the KINGS!!! I hope the KINGS will work out a cable deal this year, and hope they could be in HD also. I also hope that FSN Bay Area HD will be in 1080i only, the Kings would look really good in 1080i. Saying that I had a chance to see them in 1080i last season vs. the Mavs. It was so much better then 720p. Saying that FOX is going 720p as a network, will FSN follow or will their sports division be in 1080i only? I read somewhere that the Gaints game will be on tomorrow 7/30 also. I hope so =) I know the other day, the Padres vs. Gaints game was blackout =( Because it was shown locally on KMAX, errr. I hope there will not be a blackout tomorrow though.

The first HD channel that was shown at my house when I got it installed 2 weeks ago, was the Yanks vs. Sox game. Thats when I realize that I made a good choice in Comcast, being that I wouldn't of seen this on either DirecTV or DISH. Something about local cable HD have a nice ring to it. I do want to state that there is a lack of local HD channels in Sacramento. But I don't mind. I still have my old HD receiver from DirecTV, and I'm able to pick up all of our local HD channels =). Of course, if Comcast will add them later, it will be a very nice thing, no more worries about the signals being lost hehe.

No CBS HD channel?

I have always read where 720p is actually better for sports. I guess theory doesn't equal reality?

I have DirecTV. What does it cost to add Comcast HD, and can you order the HD programming only?

Have you had a chance to see Giants on HD yet? SBC must look pretty sweet in HD? I don't understand your blackout comment. FSN carries the Gianits in HD occasionally; if a game is on KMAX it is not on FSN. So no blackout issue is involved. Am I missing something here?

Thanks!
post #29 of 4174 Old 08-21-2004, 02:08 AM
AVS Special Member

KCRA/NBC are being deceptive with regard to the broadcast of Olympic Basketball. Last week they advertised the US/Puerto game as live when it was on a one-hour tape delay. At least don't lie about it being live. What is particularly aggravating is that they could have carried the game live at 10:00 am, but they showed local programming until 11:00, and then showed the game, on a one hour tape delay basis.

This will happen again in Saturday's game when the USA plays Lithuania. The game starts at 10:00 am PST, and KCRA will start its Olympic coverage at 10:00 am PST. But, guess what. KCRA is going to broadcast women's beach volleyball at 10:00 and show the basketball game at noon, on a two-hour delay! To top it off, the beach volleyball isn't even live! Further, KCRA's web site says the game is live! Just check espn.com and you will find out the game started at 10am PST while KCRA was showing taped women's beach volleyball. Comments? Thanks.
post #30 of 4174 Old 08-21-2004, 02:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jacmyoung
If Kings will have a few HD games on TNTHD, they will be blacked out here. I'd certainly have FOXHD and CBSHD on Comcast as the first priority because these two are going to drive Comcast HD subcriptions without a doubt. We know FOXHD will be on before the NFL season, but CBS is unlikely to be on soon.

Very few people care to use OTA.

Why would the Kings game on TNT be blacked out? Unless channel 10 is showing the game, no blackout should occur.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception