Paducah, KY - HDTV - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 503 Old 12-20-2005, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know. I've been checking but no one has been posting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 503 Old 12-27-2005, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

How about that fox no hd again! So does anybody know what HD chanels mediacom currently has?

Fredfa-"I agree with generalpatton78 "
post #93 of 503 Old 12-28-2005, 02:29 PM

Mediacom HD channels
712 KFVS-CBS HD
730 ESPN HD
731 ESPN2 HD
740 Univesal HD
741 Discovery HD
750 HDNet
751 HDNet Movies
752 INHD (sports)
753 INHD2
780 HBO-E HD
785 Starz-E HD
790 Showtime-E HD
792 TMC HD

I have switched from Dish Network to Mediacom. The telephone, high speed internet and cable package is a bargain at present. I had used the Dish Network receiver for local HD. Will be using a LG 4200A for HD now. Have you had any luck receiving the St.Louis stations? The 811 received them some what at night.
post #94 of 503 Old 12-29-2005, 05:35 AM
Advanced Member

Hmm most impressive. Is HBO and Showtime both Hd live now? I had it about a year ago and they had it in the programing guide but the channel wasn't there.

I may have to seriously consider getting the CC tivo when in comes out in 06. We should get more info in a couple days from CES. We do know it has dual ATSC tuners and two tuners for recording HDTV from cable.

Now in term if picking up St Louis locals via OTA. I have in the past picked them up with my D* H10-250 hdtv tivo and my built in tuner on my Zenith Hd set (always at night after 8pm), However because reception is so spotty I can't progam the tivo to record from them. So i stick with the local stations only. If only we could get the WB in HDTV lol.

By the way what is there price on the all 3 services combined? I pay 25$ for vonage,50 or so for cable from mediacom and over 100$ a month to D* *but thats with 4 DVRs rec and all movie channels pus PBTV.

post #95 of 503 Old 01-05-2006, 03:01 PM

Anyone have any updates on WDKA (WB)? Thanks!
post #96 of 503 Old 01-07-2006, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

I haven't heard anything, i don't expect anything from sinclair.

post #97 of 503 Old 01-07-2006, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

I though it might be a good idea to see what type of antennas many of us use and what type of results we get with them.

I use a Ch4228 with a preamp on a 20ft mast.
I can get all the locals that broadcast with good signal strength. The only times I have problems is when trying to pull in CBS and ABC on certain nights.

Whats your results?

post #98 of 503 Old 01-10-2006, 11:14 AM

I just have the silver sensor indoor antenna sitting atop my receiver. I pull in all locals crystal clear (ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, UPN, WB, other stations as well), I'm still amazed at what I get with this miraculous antenna, no booster or anything. I'm in West Paducah, KY for what it's worth.
post #99 of 503 Old 01-15-2006, 03:57 PM

I retired my RCA indoor antenna with 45 db amplifier after getting fed up with having to adjust it constantly. Last week's NFL wildcard playoff games were unwatchable with it. After reading reviews of the Terk TV5 indoor antenna, I decided to give it a try. I picked one up for $50 at Circuit City in Paducah yesterday, got home, hooked it up, and got all four major locals without adjusting it at all. Today has been a little different, FOX 23 is coming in pretty good with some minor break ups every couple of minutes or so. CBS 12 is not coming in very well at all. No problem with NBC 6 or ABC 3. It is more windy today and I'm surrounded by tall trees in a wooded area. I really wanted to avoid installing an outdoor antenna on the roof but it looks more and more like that is what I'm going to have to do.
post #100 of 503 Old 01-16-2006, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Is the Terk TV5 a ripoff of the silver sensor? If it's not I'd advise checking out solid signals website and ordering the silver sensor, It's just 20$ or so.

If you are with D* give there customer retention number and you could probably get a fairly good one free or very cheap installed outside by your sat.

Just PM if you need D* retention number or antenna talk.

OK I just saw the antenna you bought and I'd advise you get your money back. Terk is way over priced and many will tell you frankly they suck! Try the Silver Sensor and a amplifier if you want to see what's the best possible results are indoors for you.

post #101 of 503 Old 01-16-2006, 07:55 PM

I'll probably do that. The TV5 got me through '24' last night and tonight with minimal breakup. However, I am once again very upset with our "wonderful" FOX affiliate, KBSI 23. Can they not do anything right? Why is it the only HD shows I watch on FOX, they seem to continually screw up? Tonight during 24, at about 7:40, they stayed in SD after a commercial break and didn't restore it to HD til about 8:25. Of course, as usual, you can't get ahold of anyone to tell them to flip the switch back. It's incredible that they are the only local station that seems to have this problem. I've had to call KFVS 12 and WSIL 3 about only audio problems on their HD feeds, never video issues. Those problems were resolved in minutes and it was only one time per station. KBSI seems to have this problem every time I sit down to enjoy a FOX HD show (i.e. Prison Break and 24).
post #102 of 503 Old 01-16-2006, 11:40 PM

Hello. I live in West Frankfort, Illinois, which is about 60 miles from WPSD-6 in Paducah, KY. As most of you Southern Illinois folks know, it is nearly impossible to get a clear signal from WPSD unless one has cable or satellite. Well, I got tired of watching "ER," "Medium," and "The West Wing" through jagged lines and "snow," so tonight I bought a USDigital HD receiver from Wal-Mart. I had success in tuning in WSIL, WSIU, KFVS, UPN The Beat, and The Tube, but got absolutely no signal for WPSD.

I am using a combination of a roof-top antenna and amplified rabbit ears joined together with a splitter. (I have been using this combination all along to get the analog channels, and WPSD does come in, although not clear at all.) I read all of the posts in this forum tonight, and it sounds like the Zenith Silver Sensor antenna might have the power I need. Does anyone on the forum live in or near West Frankfort and have you had success in tuning in WPSD? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
post #103 of 503 Old 01-17-2006, 10:43 PM
Advanced Member

Weill I'm in Cartervile and pick up wpsd 32 at full strength all the time. It's my most reliable signal for my 4228 to pick up. I can move the antenna anywhere and it's always in the 90s. So they do provide a very good signal. So the Zenith Silver Sensor is the best indoor antenna for UHF stations, but make sure you use some type of amp with it also. The cheap kind you can buy in a store like walmart should be fine. Just to be clear you are trying to pick up the digital wpsd on channel 32 right?

post #104 of 503 Old 01-19-2006, 08:21 AM

Thanks for your reply. I didn't know that WPSD digital was channel 32. I tried to add the station, or scan it, on my receiver last night. The status bar does show a signal trying to come in, but the receiver could not capture it. Perhaps it will after I get the Silver Sensor antenna.

Thanks again. Just that tidbit of information to look for channel 32 instead of 6 helped me immensely! I'm new to this digital TV game. I'll check back on the forum often and will share my experience in my pursuit of WPSD!
post #105 of 503 Old 01-19-2006, 09:50 PM

I live in marion IL. and I have a cheap indoor from Target hooked up to my 811. I have no problem getting ch 6.01,6.02 or 6.03.
post #106 of 503 Old 01-20-2006, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Great to see new area people jumping in with feedback!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #107 of 503 Old 01-24-2006, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Wow huge news folks! The Wb and UPN are mearging!!!!! There going to be called CW. I wonder how our local companies are going to handle this! I think I'm going to give them a call.

post #108 of 503 Old 01-28-2006, 07:06 PM

Hello. Glad I found this forum. Great help.
Live in Cadiz Ky about 60 mile from WPSD-6 and 80 mile from Nashville.
Have had HD since last fall. Got WPSD very good. Also PBS from Murray and Madisonville but not Paducah very often...weak signals.
From time to time got KFVS-12.1
Nashville stations very sporadic except FOX-17-1 very strong.
Just added CM-7777 pre-amp to my Radio Sh VHF-UHF-FM antenna.
With new pre-amp all channels very strong.
Still no KFVS 12-1 ...wish I could get it too.
Very happy though.
post #109 of 503 Old 01-29-2006, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Ya after 60 miles reception gets spotty. I have the Channelmaster 4228 and the 7775 preamp and can pick up ST Louis at over 80 miles on certain nights. Id say trying the 4228 out on uhf channels over 60 miles would be your best bet. KFVS12 puts out a big signal and they have a large tower. How far did http://antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

say you were from the tower? If your right at about 60 miles I think the 4228 could pick them up.

Ok I just did a google search and got your zip and looked up reception on antennaweb.org. It said kfvs12 is almost 100 miles away. I'd say it's going to be near impossible to get them. You seem to be in a very very tough reception area. I'd think you should be able to get waivers from any sat company to get national HD feeds. I'm serouis I'm amazed that ALL your local channels are over 60 miles away (except like 4 pbs stations lol). Call up Directv or Dish Network and get yourself some HDTV locals!!!!!Just PM me if you want some more info.

post #110 of 503 Old 01-30-2006, 05:16 PM

Paducah is about 60 miles..no problem. Nashville 80 or so but with pre-amp now coming in fine.
Have picked up KFVS-12.1-12.2-12.3 the Tube during the warm weather at times with no pe-amp boost.
Also 23.1-23.2
Was hoping to get better reception now with CM7777 but not so far fo 12 or 23..
Emailed Directv about HD and was told Nashville locals to be available in HD in April.
post #111 of 503 Old 01-31-2006, 08:08 AM

What is it with our retarded FOX affiliate? Why do they seem to always forget to flip the HD switch? It seems like they do this for at least a portion of 24 each week. Last night they didn't send out the HD feed until it was half over. It's very frustrating. Is there anyone we can complain to that would do any good?
post #112 of 503 Old 01-31-2006, 01:41 PM

I live in carlisle co.Ky below some north hills.I have an outdoor antenna with a rotator. no problems with getting in dt 23 but 12 and 6 have cut out at times.Gave up on 49/dt 50. nashvile comes in a little maybe once a week. 21 really strong.3 does ok.where is 27? the analog is somewhat snowy.it supposed to be dt 17. maybe its too weak.should i try a tower?or forget it or you don't know.Some people may not care about 27 but would be nice to get it in.How many watts is it?
post #113 of 503 Old 02-01-2006, 02:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.johnson View Post

I live in carlisle co.Ky below some north hills.I have an outdoor antenna with a rotator. no problems with getting in dt 23 but 12 and 6 have cut out at times.Gave up on 49/dt 50. nashvile comes in a little maybe once a week. 21 really strong.3 does ok.where is 27? the analog is somewhat snowy.it supposed to be dt 17. maybe its too weak.should i try a tower?or forget it or you don't know.Some people may not care about 27 but would be nice to get it in.How many watts is it?

Channel 27 or 17 is just some horrible religous channel. I wouldn't worry about it unless you are VERY VERY VERY religous and feel like praying 24/7 or something. Channel 50DT (WB49) is VERY low power and it's signal can only be picked up if your less then 5 miles away from it. I'm hoping the new CW network will mean another HDTV local.

post #114 of 503 Old 02-01-2006, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkeye View Post

What is it with our retarded FOX affiliate? Why do they seem to always forget to flip the HD switch? It seems like they do this for at least a portion of 24 each week. Last night they didn't send out the HD feed until it was half over. It's very frustrating. Is there anyone we can complain to that would do any good?

I know, I called last week about the issue. I had to call during business hours to actually speak to someone. I talked to a Chris in Engineering. He said the issue was that FOX was not sending out the HD signal for KBSI to pass along. If you noticed that while it was in SD along the pillar bars on the side was the KBSI23 logo. KBSI had their switch "flipped." It was some moron at corporate FOX that failed to do his job. I've been pretty upset about this also. Regardless of whose fault it is, it reflects poorly on KBSI. They are the only local affiliate that continually has a problem with primetime shows in HD. You can call them at 573-334-1223 Monday-Friday during normal business hours (9-5, I think) or e-mail them at cgirard@kbsi23.com and let them no how disappointed you are. Maybe if we all complain someone will get their act together.
post #115 of 503 Old 02-02-2006, 03:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sel19 View Post

I know, I called last week about the issue. I had to call during business hours to actually speak to someone. I talked to a Chris in Engineering. He said the issue was that FOX was not sending out the HD signal for KBSI to pass along. If you noticed that while it was in SD along the pillar bars on the side was the KBSI23 logo. KBSI had their switch "flipped." It was some moron at corporate FOX that failed to do his job. I've been pretty upset about this also. Regardless of whose fault it is, it reflects poorly on KBSI. They are the only local affiliate that continually has a problem with primetime shows in HD. You can call them at 573-334-1223 Monday-Friday during normal business hours (9-5, I think) or e-mail them at cgirard@kbsi23.com and let them no how disappointed you are. Maybe if we all complain someone will get their act together.

Ya I've called and talked to chris about this also before. I still don't think it's a Fox problem, but rather a KBSI issue. I never see any other people complaining about fox having issues like this. There is some type of issue KBSI is having. Lets just hope the new CW network isn't ran by sinclair here.

post #116 of 503 Old 02-07-2006, 12:52 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about 23.All they show is bad shows like house and bones that may give you nightmares or profanity like on family guy.Their motto is turn it on but I usually turn it off.Maybe you're mistaken,27 isn't horrible,it's rated g.
post #117 of 503 Old 02-08-2006, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. johnson View Post

I wouldn't worry too much about 23.All they show is bad shows like house and bones that may give you nightmares or profanity like on family guy.Their motto is turn it on but I usually turn it off.Maybe you're mistaken,27 isn't horrible,it's rated g.

Hey if you want Jerry Farwell 24/7 then you will love 27. Hpwever thats ALL it is. They have no family programing like 7th heaven or anything. It's just a preacher 24/7!!! There tower is just a few miles from me (like less then 10) so I get it in full power all the time. Evreything on it though is in SD. You could call them and find out there power stuff if you want. There based in Herrin IL. I've drove past there church many times.

You said your antenna is a outside antenna. What type is it UHF or VHF? How high is it?

post #118 of 503 Old 02-22-2006, 08:43 PM

Mediacom HD channels
706 WPSDD-NBC HD
712 KFVS-CBS HD
730 ESPN HD
731 ESPN2 HD
740 Univesal HD
741 Discovery HD
750 HDNet
751 HDNet Movies
752 INHD (sports)
753 INHD2
780 HBO-E HD
785 Starz-E HD
790 Showtime-E HD
792 TMC HD
post #119 of 503 Old 03-06-2006, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Well I just called WSIL.I don't know if any of you noticed but Good Morning America is now supposed to be Hd but Wsil hasn't been showing it in HD. I talked to there eng. and found out that GMA is having trouble feeding the Central and mountain time zones the HD feed, The West and east cast have the feed but it will ne a little longer for us.

post #120 of 503 Old 03-12-2006, 06:02 AM

Will the Paducah area stations be on Direct Tv local channel update? Live in Cadiz and my directv will be the Nashville local stations so I will still watch Paducah over the air.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page