Richmond, VA - HDTV - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 8856 Old 09-22-2004, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
tpistey and anyone else looking for a bargain OTA tuner that will pick up WTVRDT: Check eBay for a good price on a Sylvania SRZ3000. Sears cleared out their last remaining stock for $100 or so, and I've seen used ones go for as little as $60 plus shipping. I'm on Northside and pick up all the locals with a Radio Shack indoor antenna.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 8856 Old 09-22-2004, 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by atg
Lou,

I have the 921 receiver and have the same problem with WTVR. I have a signal lock at 117 but can't save channel.

Todd

Lou, Todd,

I have an 811 and I also lost 25-1. The only way i got it back was to manually put in '25' in the add digital section and IMMEDIATELY arrow over to the OK before the signal strength would hardlyeven show up. I then had to name it '2' because that was the only thing that worked. It now shows up in my guide and I have'nt lost it since. I am not sure how you add manually on the 921, but if itis similar it might work. I talked to Dish and they said it was a problem with the local station changing around how they broadcast PSIP ?? data. I emailed WTRV and did not get a response. I know this, that if you try to add it manually and it locks and shows "25" for the channel, it will not show up on your list. So give the fast thing a try and let me know.

Sam
post #273 of 8856 Old 09-22-2004, 02:57 PM

Quote:

are all Samsungs problematic?

Samsung receivers are not the problem. WTVR is the problem. There was never any trouble picking up their signal with Samsung receivers until a few months ago. I've searched the hardware forum to see if other folks are having problems with Samsung receivers and any other affiliates around the country and haven't been able to find any reports of trouble.
post #274 of 8856 Old 09-22-2004, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 292
I called the WTVR engineering department this afternoon and got voice-mail, so we'll see if I get a call back tomorrow.
post #275 of 8856 Old 09-22-2004, 06:20 PM

I tried entering channel 25 manually as well as autoscan and neither worked. Even tried the quick save before signal lock and no luck. Hopefully WTVR is working the issue.

Lou
post #276 of 8856 Old 09-22-2004, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by oakenshld
Lou, Todd,

I have an 811 and I also lost 25-1. The only way i got it back was to manually put in '25' in the add digital section and IMMEDIATELY arrow over to the OK before the signal strength would hardlyeven show up. I then had to name it '2' because that was the only thing that worked. It now shows up in my guide and I have'nt lost it since. I am not sure how you add manually on the 921, but if itis similar it might work. I talked to Dish and they said it was a problem with the local station changing around how they broadcast PSIP ?? data. I emailed WTRV and did not get a response. I know this, that if you try to add it manually and it locks and shows "25" for the channel, it will not show up on your list. So give the fast thing a try and let me know.

Sam

Lou, Todd and Sam,

....I just lost my two page posting (ugh!). Anyway, to summarize:

- I have posted in the past that my VOOM STB will not "lock" WTVR-DT...even though I am receiving a signal level of 90+.

-VOOM integrates a member's local DMA channels into their Program Guide. However, you can scan for locals outside your DMA, but PSIP must be available in the stream with at least the following three fields present: Channel Number, MPEG Service Number and Short Name.

-WTVR-DT will "lock" on my Mits w/integrated ATSC/QAM tuner, however it is being mapped as 25-2. I have been using the built-in tuner to decode cable HD/DTV and haven't scanned OTA since back in the spring...however, I used RF 25 used to "lock" as 6-1.

-Over the past two months my calls and e-mails have not been returned by anyone from WTVR regarding this matter.

What's up WTVR? Several of us are being underserved as noted here at the AVSFORUM and at other sites: http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthre...highlight=wtvr
post #277 of 8856 Old 09-22-2004, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by brcobb
Great tropospherics tonight folks. I am picking up all of the channels out of Raleigh, NC. Pretty nice seeing the 10 pm Fox news in HD via WRAZ. I know WRAL does their news in HD also.

I am in Spotsylvania and at 0500 this morning I pulled in WTVD-DT, Durham NC, from 185.98 miles and WPHL, Philadelphia PA, from 176.73 miles.

The troposphere is indeed great!
post #278 of 8856 Old 09-22-2004, 07:55 PM

I hadn't been able to pick up WTVR for quite a while on my Voom STB. Reading this thread I decided to check and it's back.

Off-air signal quality is ~89, power/SNR is 79/20. This is comparable to WRIC in signal power but the SNR for WTVR is not as good. I'll check again tomorrow to see if it disappears again.
post #279 of 8856 Old 09-22-2004, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by che2cbs
I hadn't been able to pick up WTVR for quite a while on my Voom STB. Reading this thread I decided to check and it's back.

Off-air signal quality is ~89, power/SNR is 79/20. This is comparable to WRIC in signal power but the SNR for WTVR is not as good. I'll check again tomorrow to see if it disappears again.

Che2cbs, are you in the Richmond DMA? I live in Spotslyvania, 51 miles from Richmond broadcast towers and 55 miles from DC broadcast towers, but I am in the DC DMA due to my Fredericksburg mailing address (10 miles away). Anyway, I am seeing a strong signal from WTVR-DT but it won't lock. The good news (for me) is Motorola will be releasing a "Super DMA Map" within the next 2-4 weeks...so VOOM subs will be able to manually add DMA Maps and/or channels and fully integrate them into the Program Guide.

My signal for WRIC-DT is a little stronger, but WTVR-DT is much more steady.
post #280 of 8856 Old 09-22-2004, 10:20 PM

riffjim4069

I'm in the west end of Richmond. According to 2150.com I'm about 7.9 miles from their antenna site. Like you I had a strong signal and a relatively poor SNR (I don't know what a good SNR is, just that channel six was worse than the other OTA's). And yet the Voom STB wouldn't lock.

So, WTVR has given me the most trouble. WRIC was a bit choppy there for a while but now is doing much better. WCVE is strong and clear. WWBT has always been very strong but I still hate the stretch on 12-1. And we all know the deal with WRLH but hopefully they'll come back to life as a stronger signal. That leaves WUPV (UPN) which is exactly 90 degrees off the axis of my Winegard antenna. Does any one know if they are broadcasting in HD yet?

I'm thinking about getting another directional antenna and combining its signal with the Voom-provided Winegard just to get Star Trek Enterprise on UPN.

--Chris
post #281 of 8856 Old 09-23-2004, 06:00 AM

wittangamo

Thanks for the info! Any more info regarding the placement of your antenna... is it on your first floor or did you need a special/long cable run? Is it this antenna:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=15%2D1880

or another?

Thanks again for your help.

Tom
post #282 of 8856 Old 09-23-2004, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

That's the one. It's on the second floor, right next to the TV. For a cheap indoor antenna, it works surprisingly well.

This morning I was playing around, rotating the antenna and auto-scanning my tuner, and I got a solid lock on NBC in Charlottesville! Signal strength is pretty good at 84-85, and there's none of that irritating WWBT stretch.

As for the locals, I can get good, reliable reception on all of them, but I have to turn the antenna the other way to get UPN. Right now I'm just waiting for Fox to bring back it's digital transmitter to see how that works out.
post #283 of 8856 Old 09-23-2004, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Anamorpheus
Samsung receivers are not the problem. WTVR is the problem. There was never any trouble picking up their signal with Samsung receivers until a few months ago. I've searched the hardware forum to see if other folks are having problems with Samsung receivers and any other affiliates around the country and haven't been able to find any reports of trouble.

Agreed this is a WTVR problem. It goes beyond Samsungs if you read here you will see that MANY other makes of STBs are having issues. You hear more about the Sammys I suspect because they, as you point out, are very common. That said if you want WTVR the Samsungs don't generally work with it at the moment so I would look elsewhere. However, that said I actually get WTVR on my Samsung T150 their first HDTV STB. I think that the planets must have been in alignment or something when I locked it though because I seem to be one of the few people who has managed to get WTVR on a Sammy in the last few months. Generally, on the Sammys once you get it locked in and recognized you are good to go.
post #284 of 8856 Old 09-23-2004, 09:02 AM

wittangamo,
Thanks for the good info! I will try the same antenna once I get my tuner.

secstate,
Thanks for clarifying. I believe I will stay away from the Sammys right now and purchase one of the Sylvanias. Seems like the safer bet and I believe I can get one for a few dollars less.

Tom
post #285 of 8856 Old 09-23-2004, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Sammy makes an excellent tuner so I would hesitate purchasing the Sylvania based on your inability to receive WTVR-DT. I called WVTR, (804) 254-3600, a short while ago and left a detailed voice mail for their Assistant Engineer. Hopefully, this problem will be identified and corrected if enough people call to report the problem.

I think I figured out part of my problem:

1. My VOOM STB will not "lock" WTVR-DT even though the signal level is 90+. It requires a valid PSIP datasteam. The VOOM STB integrates my local DMA (DC) into the PG. I consider the VOOM STB to be an "intelligent tuner" since DMA mapping data is downloaded to the receiver.

2. My Mits can "lock" WTVR-DT, but the channel is displayed as 25-2 - it used to display 6-1 at some unknown time in the past. I consider my 2 year old Mits to be a "dumb tuner" since it displays whatever PSIP information it sees in the datastream (and sometimes crashes the tuner too).

Since my VOOM STB is an intelligent receiver, I noticed that a low-power channel (WHAG-DT, 25-1, Hagarstown) is included in the DC DMA Map. This station is low-power (0.9kW) and over 100 miles away so I deleted the entry from my PG. However, the information for the DMA Map is still stored somewhere in the VOOM STB...out of sight, out of mind. Therefore, it will never locked WTVR-DT just as long as they identify themselves as 25-2 in the datastream.

Of course, WTVR-DT still needs to identify and correct the (25-2) PSIP problem. Anyway, I have no idea how this may affect your Samsung, 921 or other tuners.
post #286 of 8856 Old 09-23-2004, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

FYI-
for those of you with HD-DirecTiVo's, I did a rescan and it now finds 8-2.

Steve
post #287 of 8856 Old 09-23-2004, 01:11 PM

Steve,

Have you heard anything further from Fox as to how the process of getting online is going and when they expect to possibly have things broadcasting? We have had such great weather this week that I would think they might have gotten their tower work done.

- Brian
post #288 of 8856 Old 09-23-2004, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Maybe the other station guys, Michael and Darell, can help with this one...

Is WTVR violating any FCC regulations by not having their digital broadcasts properly configured to be received by all OTA receivers? Most seem to be in agreement that WTVR is not sending out the proper PSIP info (any longer), making it incompatible with a lot of the hardware out there.
Aren't they required by the FCC to send out compatible Digital transmissions?

Not trying to get anyone in trouble, I just want to light a fire over there to fix this problem.
post #289 of 8856 Old 09-24-2004, 12:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 16
HEY GUYS,
HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP. I LIVE IN CHESTERFIELD COUNTY IN CREEKWOOD. I AM LESS THEN 10 MILES FROM ANY TOWERS. I BOUGHT A SUBURBAN ANTENNA AND PLACED IT IN THE ATTIC. ANTENNAWEB GAVE ME A COMPASS ORIENTATION OF 330DEGREEES TO AROUND 300 DEGREES FOR ALL THE STATIONS EXCEPT UPN DIGITAL. I AM GETTING NOTICABLE GHOSTING ON ABC ON ANALOG AND INTERMITTENT LOCKS ON THE DIGITAL SIDE. I HAD BETTER LUCK WITH THE SILVER SENSOR. I LIVE IN A HEAVILY WOODED COMMUNITY AND THERE ARE TREES IN THE LINE OF SITE OF TOWERS. WHAT UHF ANTENNA WOULD YOU GUYS SUGGEST. I HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT A CHANNELMASTER 4228 AND RADIOSHACK UHF ANTENNA. I PLAN ON CLEARING THE TREES THIS SPRING BUT WOULD LIKE TO WATCH SOME HDTV BEFORE THEN.
post #290 of 8856 Old 09-24-2004, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I'm in Norfolk. My new 42WE655 is pulling in two channels that my old tuner didn't and I thought they might be Richmond channels. Can anyone give me the details on 31.1-31.4 and 46.2-46.5? Apparently there is no 46.1?

Thanks!
post #291 of 8856 Old 09-24-2004, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by brianufl
Steve,

Have you heard anything further from Fox as to how the process of getting online is going and when they expect to possibly have things broadcasting? We have had such great weather this week that I would think they might have gotten their tower work done.

- Brian

I've got a call into them, but haven't heard anything in the last week or so. I do know that they are out at the transmitter site today, so let's hope they are getting close. I'll report as soon as I hear something.

Steve
post #292 of 8856 Old 09-24-2004, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by theroys88
HEY GUYS,
HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP. I LIVE IN CHESTERFIELD COUNTY IN CREEKWOOD. I AM LESS THEN 10 MILES FROM ANY TOWERS. I BOUGHT A SUBURBAN ANTENNA AND PLACED IT IN THE ATTIC. ANTENNAWEB GAVE ME A COMPASS ORIENTATION OF 330DEGREEES TO AROUND 300 DEGREES FOR ALL THE STATIONS EXCEPT UPN DIGITAL. I AM GETTING NOTICABLE GHOSTING ON ABC ON ANALOG AND INTERMITTENT LOCKS ON THE DIGITAL SIDE. I HAD BETTER LUCK WITH THE SILVER SENSOR. I LIVE IN A HEAVILY WOODED COMMUNITY AND THERE ARE TREES IN THE LINE OF SITE OF TOWERS. WHAT UHF ANTENNA WOULD YOU GUYS SUGGEST. I HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT A CHANNELMASTER 4228 AND RADIOSHACK UHF ANTENNA. I PLAN ON CLEARING THE TREES THIS SPRING BUT WOULD LIKE TO WATCH SOME HDTV BEFORE THEN.

Sounds like you're getting some multipath. What type of receiver are you using? If the silver sensor was working better, it there a reason you don't want to use it?

Steve
post #293 of 8856 Old 09-24-2004, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:

Originally posted by Anamorpheus
Samsung receivers are not the problem. WTVR is the problem.

This is correct. I just spent the last 40 minutes with Directv advanced tech support, and they verified it is a CBS Richmond problem.
post #294 of 8856 Old 09-24-2004, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Be that as it may, my Sylvania has never had a problem finding or receiving WTVR, or any of the other local stations. Just because it's cheap doesn't mean it's a poor choice. Check the comments from steelersrule in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=432788
post #295 of 8856 Old 09-24-2004, 10:27 AM

Hi Guys,

I am in Hopewell, one of my antenna points to suffolk, rescan my HDTIVO , got 8-2 now thank you!!

To my surprise , I got 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, 3-4, and 2-5 appears to be PBS with the logo of UNC@ TV on all of them , 2-2 was off air, but got very decent signals rock solid, don't tell me that it's from North Carolina, but sure looks like it.
post #296 of 8856 Old 09-24-2004, 10:56 AM

Got the answer for myself , yep it's from NC, 2-2 is on for OTA in HD only from 8-11 pm.
post #297 of 8856 Old 09-24-2004, 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by wittangamo
Be that as it may, my Sylvania has never had a problem finding or receiving WTVR, or any of the other local stations. Just because it's cheap doesn't mean it's a poor choice. Check the comments from steelersrule in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=432788

My other STB is ZENITH 220 something like that, picked up from CC few months ago (returned item) , for $99, it's served me well.Never has problem with 25-1 or CBS 6-1 whatever you may call it, also never has problem with 8-2 either.

BTW, if you want to go all the way, HDTIVO is available from CC, doesn't have problem with CBS 6-1, 25-2 ever!!

The sony sat 300 from D*, I believe the euivalent of Hughes HD DirecTV set, both were made by LG , I belive the Hughes is $300 and the sony $400, but you got to pay D* these sets do not have problem w CBS, shame on me I have all these toys, just don't tell my wife.
post #298 of 8856 Old 09-24-2004, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by theroys88
HEY GUYS,

Could be many things. One is there any metal objects blocking the anttena or near the antenna in the attic? Either of those could cause problems. Have you moved it around the attic? I find that for antenna inside, placement can be critical. One location is bad 2' away no problems. I doubt trees are a huge isssue at that distance. I have trees in the way and I am about 7 miles away and don't have any problem. The winter will tell you one way or the other as the attenuation of the trees will go down, way down once the leaves fall off.
post #299 of 8856 Old 09-24-2004, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Originally posted by TH3_FRB
I'm in Norfolk. My new 42WE655 is pulling in two channels that my old tuner didn't and I thought they might be Richmond channels. Can anyone give me the details on 31.1-31.4 and 46.2-46.5? Apparently there is no 46.1?

Thanks!

Isn't WAVY-DT on UHF 31? And PAX WPXV's DTV is on UHF 46. Are these what you're receiving?

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: editor@VARTV.com
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

post #300 of 8856 Old 09-24-2004, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Originally posted by docchak
Hi Guys,

I am in Hopewell, one of my antenna points to suffolk, rescan my HDTIVO , got 8-2 now thank you!!

To my surprise , I got 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, 3-4, and 2-5 appears to be PBS with the logo of UNC@ TV on all of them , 2-2 was off air, but got very decent signals rock solid, don't tell me that it's from North Carolina, but sure looks like it.

What type of antenna are you using? Indoor or outdoor? How high up is it? Are you on low or high ground?

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: editor@VARTV.com
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page