post #391 of 8856 Old 10-03-2004, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by secstate
I don't think Fox 35 is officially live yet so it is quite possible it is 480p. I haven't watched today but everything I have seen in the previous two days looked to 480p to me.

Please take a few minutes to read the other posts that I've made concerning 35-1. They aren't even close to being live yet, so anything you see now should just be dismissed. Essentially you are watching them test their signal, nothing more, nothing less.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 8856 Old 10-04-2004, 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by dcheney
Hey folks,
Are you still experiencing audio dropouts with WRIC DT at all? I have been doing a test to see if the card I have out of the system was causing this audio dropouts earlier this month. Let me know please. Thanks.

Darrell Cheney
WRIC TV

I haven't had audio dropouts on WRIC-HD through Comcast in ... at least a couple weeks now if not longer.

Thank you!
post #393 of 8856 Old 10-04-2004, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

We've noticed a couple video drops in network over the weekend (Audio is fine). Can you guys let me know if you see anything like this? I know some of you have. I need to know what programs are doing it to see if it's network or local. I think it's a network issue. BTW, I watched a fair amount of Nascar yesterday and didn't see this problem. It looked pretty good for SD upconverted. We did see this problem in American Dreams last night.

Michael Park
Creative Services Manager
WWBT NBC 12
post #394 of 8856 Old 10-04-2004, 11:01 AM

MPark,

I have noticed quite a few problems with "network programming" from NBC of late. I never thought it was a local problem (as others were complaining nationwide about it).

Of note:

American Dreams from 26 Sep - bad clicking sound throughout program
Crossing Jordan from 26 Sep (WWBT finally switched to upconverting analog due to picture and sound issues)
Las Vegas (I don't think there were any problems with this one) from 27Sep
Medical Investigations (video kept dropping out - 4-6 times during program) from 1 Oct

The only other NBC program we watched this week was the Apprentice, but I was watching the DirecTV feed (don't like the 14:9 stretch )

With this many network problems I have to wonder if this is NBC's first year of HD (which I know it isn't).

I haven't watched AD or CJ from 3 Oct yet, but I can let you know what I see.

Rod319
post #395 of 8856 Old 10-04-2004, 03:03 PM

we have audio from 35-1. I am now getting audio on both 35-1 and 35-2. Maybe they are getting ready for HD soon!!
post #396 of 8856 Old 10-04-2004, 04:57 PM

Feedback on WUPV-DT (UPN) Requested:

A quick break from aspect ratios and FOX, but I am really trying to get reception from UPN at my Chesterfield house in the Monacan/Midlothian area. I have practically gone through the entire Radio Shack UHF antenna line, with great signal strength on all channels except UPN... where I get a consistent 0. I would expect to get a least something with an 80" UHF Boom antenna. Can anyone confirm that UPN is receivable with a HDTiVo on Southside? I would be curious to know which antenna you are using as well. Thanks in advance.
post #397 of 8856 Old 10-04-2004, 05:23 PM

The only person that I have seen post about receiving WUPN-DT was in Fredricksburg. Try 50 out of Hampton. I can get then on a good night with a indoor antenna. Tonight seems to be a good night but it is iffy.

I hav read WUPN-DT is low power and not much hight
post #398 of 8856 Old 10-04-2004, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by elroy_1666
Feedback on WUPV-DT (UPN) Requested:

A quick break from aspect ratios and FOX, but I am really trying to get reception from UPN at my Chesterfield house in the Monacan/Midlothian area. I have practically gone through the entire Radio Shack UHF antenna line, with great signal strength on all channels except UPN... where I get a consistent 0. I would expect to get a least something with an 80" UHF Boom antenna. Can anyone confirm that UPN is receivable with a HDTiVo on Southside? I would be curious to know which antenna you are using as well. Thanks in advance.

I live in Midlo and get zilch, zip, nada on UPN with my Winegard UHF "long range/fringe" antenna (it is in the attic though). No problem with all other stations.
post #399 of 8856 Old 10-04-2004, 06:13 PM

Quote:

The only person that I have seen post about receiving WUPN-DT was in Fredricksburg. Try 50 out of Hampton. I can get then on a good night with a indoor antenna. Tonight seems to be a good night but it is iffy.

Yep, I am getting WUPV-DT up here in Fredericksburg tonight. This is not an everyday event. However, I do get it quite often in the evenings. Tonight is a great night for DXing. I am currently picking up Richmond, D.C., Baltimore, Charlottesville and Hampton Roads stations.

WUPV is broadcasting at an extremely low power and their antenna is currently very low (~65 m). Hopefully, sometime in the future they will raise both the height and the power.
post #400 of 8856 Old 10-04-2004, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

I too am receiving WUPV-DT this evening, which is a rare occurrence.
post #401 of 8856 Old 10-04-2004, 07:12 PM

MPark,

I sat down to watch Las Vegas live tonight and within 4 minutes my wife said she couldn't put up with the breakups. We switched over to Charlottesville's 29 and had no issues. Just to test further, at 9:15 pm I started recording WWBTDT12 and continued watching 29-1. After the program ended, I rewatched the recording of 12-1 and it had many problems that I had not seen on 29-1, with 12-1 eventually switching out of the HD feed (I am sure that you know all of this by now).

Trying to help.

Rod319
post #402 of 8856 Old 10-04-2004, 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by wahoo246

I hav read WUPN-DT is low power and not much hight

I live in Glen Allen on Mountain Road and have always been able to get WUPN between 80-85%, but antennaweb says I am only about 4 miles from the antenna. I do get all of the others here as well though, I am using a Winegard Square Shooter with a Radio Shack pre-amp...both in the attic.
post #403 of 8856 Old 10-04-2004, 09:45 PM

Michael P, WWBT is a mess tonight.....unwatchable in HD. Las Vegas as well as The Tonight Show had audio/video breakups, random patches of pixelation, and blackouts that last a couple seconds. Also the weird "tile" effect on bottom half of screen. The tile effect is similar to what you would see on a standard computer wallpaper scheme. Something is definitely wrong! You guys used to be rock solid 99% of the time. All of this was visible with a 100% signal strength with no dropout while these things were happening. At the same time I have to say, the NASCAR up-conversion Sunday was flawless in 16:9 and I enjoyed that a lot! Your HD broadcasts are a different story though. Seems to me that something happened to your HD broadcasts after the last Hurricane (with high winds) blew through here. That may be coincidence though, because I can't say for sure that's when things went bad. Close though.

WRIC is solid...thank you Darrell

WTVR is back with the usual "No Signal" message on my Samsung for a few seconds before getting a picture. NOTE TO SAMSUNG OTA BOX OWNERS: If you "ever" get 25-1 back DO NOT do a rescan!!!

Not bitchin' here folks...just trying to help.
post #404 of 8856 Old 10-05-2004, 05:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by rod319
MPark,

I sat down to watch Las Vegas live tonight and within 4 minutes my wife said she couldn't put up with the breakups. We switched over to Charlottesville's 29 and had no issues. Just to test further, at 9:15 pm I started recording WWBTDT12 and continued watching 29-1. After the program ended, I rewatched the recording of 12-1 and it had many problems that I had not seen on 29-1, with 12-1 eventually switching out of the HD feed (I am sure that you know all of this by now).

Trying to help.

Rod319

First of all, thanks for the feedback. We were all over it tonight and were trying different things. The beginning of Las Vegas being the worst.
We think we have a bad NBC HD Receiver. Hopefully, we will get it fixed by tomorrow. Have to get a new one shipped in. I'll keep you posted.

Michael Park
WWBT NBC 12
post #405 of 8856 Old 10-05-2004, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
ESPN 2 HD Set to Launch Jan. 6

ESPN2 HD, ESPN's second high-definition sports channel, will premiere on Jan. 6, 2005. In combination, ESPN HD and ESPN2 HD will deliver 300 major sporting events, plus 2,000 programs totaling 6,000 hours in high definition in 2005.

During the first 85 days of joint operation, ESPN HD and ESPN2 HD will offer 85 live high-definition telecasts, including many college basketball matchups.

ESPN opened its Digital Center, a 120,000 square foot, high-definition facility at its headquarters in Bristol, Conn., on June 7.

The building contains over seven million feet of cable and three HDTV studios that are home to ESPN's SportsCenter, NFL Countdown, NFL Primetime, Monday Night Countdown, and Baseball Tonight.

Robert F Corbin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 | Virginia Media News & Information

email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook:

twitter:

linkedin:

google+:

pinterest:

post #406 of 8856 Old 10-05-2004, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:

Originally posted by mpark
I can't stretch 6-1 or 8-1 through my TV because it is already 1080i or 720p. It just won't let you do it.

Quote:

Originally posted by Aliens
Can't you set your STB to 4:3 and adjust your zoom modes from there to accommodate your screen rather than watching analog stations? Something doesn't seem right.

I assume you didn't care for the advice.

My TV is like yours in that regard. Some people with 16:9 screens aren't aware you can set the STB to 4:3 and adjust from there to fill the screen because it seems kind of illogical. Being as you are fairly new to the HDTV world I thought you might be unaware of that. Just trying to help.
post #407 of 8856 Old 10-05-2004, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Aliens
I assume you didn't care for the advice.

My TV is like yours in that regard. Some people with 16:9 screens aren't aware you can set the STB to 4:3 and adjust from there to fill the screen because it seems kind of illogical. Being as you are fairly new to the HDTV world I thought you might be unaware of that. Just trying to help.

I'm happy with the way I do it. I don't have to change any menus and it looks good. Thanks for the advice.

Michael Park
WWBT NBC 12
post #408 of 8856 Old 10-05-2004, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Addicted2HD

WTVR is back with the usual "No Signal" message on my Samsung for a few seconds before getting a picture. NOTE TO SAMSUNG OTA BOX OWNERS: If you "ever" get 25-1 back DO NOT do a rescan!!!

Ain't that the truth. I got lucky once and I will never rescan again. I manually added 35-1 and 35-2. My Sammy (now that it has locked in WTVR) never has the "no signal" it locks in WTVR just as fast as any of the other Richmond stations.
post #409 of 8856 Old 10-05-2004, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

WWBT 12-1 will be in upconvert tonight and hopefully will be back in HD tomorrow night. I'll keep you guys updated.

Michael Park
WWBT NBC 12
post #410 of 8856 Old 10-05-2004, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally posted by secstate
Ain't that the truth. I got lucky once and I will never rescan again. I manually added 35-1 and 35-2. My Sammy (now that it has locked in WTVR) never has the "no signal" it locks in WTVR just as fast as any of the other Richmond stations.

This is one of the things I like about the DirecTV HD TiVo box. When you rescan, it will not delete ANY channels previously stored. It'll either say "So and so channels have been added..." or "No additional channels were found..." It does give you an option to delete scanned channels...

Robert F Corbin

| Virginia Media News & Information

email:

facebook:

twitter:

linkedin:

google+:

pinterest:

post #411 of 8856 Old 10-05-2004, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

I have the Hughes Directv HD Box and it automatically finds new channels when you are flipping. It found 35-2 on it's own.

Michael Park
WWBT NBC 12
post #412 of 8856 Old 10-05-2004, 04:32 PM

WTVR - DT is FIXED!! For me at least. I was not able to get it before even though it found it at 85+% without doing some funny configurations. I did a scan this evening for the heck of it and now it shows up as "6 - WTVR-DT" instead of 25-1. It looks like they are broadcasting the correct PSIP data stream now. Would someone with a Samsung OTA STB be willing to rick a scan to see if it works for you
post #413 of 8856 Old 10-05-2004, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oakenshld
WTVR - DT is FIXED!! For me at least. I was not able to get it before even though it found it at 85+% without doing some funny configurations. I did a scan this evening for the heck of it and now it shows up as "6 - WTVR-DT" instead of 25-1. It looks like they are broadcasting the correct PSIP data stream now. Would someone with a Samsung OTA STB be willing to rick a scan to see if it works for you

I just did a scan with two Samsung boxes a 151 and a 160.

Both of them scanned and found 6-1 as well as all the other local channels. After scanning all channels tuned in quickly and reception seemed to be just fine.

Maybe it really is fixed this time!

By the way, if anyone wants to buy either of these receivers, let me know. I don't use them anymore and I'll sell them really cheap!

Steve
post #414 of 8856 Old 10-05-2004, 06:38 PM

After not checking for a couple of days I just noticed that I am now getting the signal from WTVR on my Samsung TS160. I didn't need to do a rescan...the picture just showed up. I never got a response from from my e-mail to Don Cox a few weeks ago but at least they fixed the problem.
post #415 of 8856 Old 10-05-2004, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by VARTV
This is one of the things I like about the DirecTV HD TiVo box. When you rescan, it will not delete ANY channels previously stored. It'll either say "So and so channels have been added..." or "No additional channels were found..." It does give you an option to delete scanned channels...

That is a much more elegant way to do things. I wish my Samsung would do that. On the other hand, mine is the T150 which was one of the first STBs released. I bought it cheap off of Ebay so no compliants.
post #416 of 8856 Old 10-06-2004, 03:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 317
I did a scan and the Sammy 360 found 6.1! Ironic that today is the day I mount my antenna on top of my roof.
post #417 of 8856 Old 10-06-2004, 05:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mits, Sony and VOOM tuners all picked-up 6-1 early this am.
post #418 of 8856 Old 10-06-2004, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just talked to Don Cox, Chief Engineer at WTVR. Needless to say he was VERY glad to get confirmation that things seem to finally be working properly.

He reported that over the last few weeks they have basically replaced or reprogrammed virtually every piece in their digital TV chain. They've had help from engineers and designers from their encoider company (Talus) as well as lot's of help from their parent company.

He's pretty confident that this should put all their problems behind them.

Steve
post #419 of 8856 Old 10-06-2004, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

This is terriffic news for us OTA people experiencing problems. Now maybe I can get a Sunday afternoon football game in HD!
Speaking of HD sports - now we can turn our attention to Fox. Any word on whether they will be up in time for Sunday's action?
post #420 of 8856 Old 10-06-2004, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by brcobb
Yep, I am getting WUPV-DT up here in Fredericksburg tonight... I am currently picking up Richmond, D.C., Baltimore, Charlottesville and Hampton Roads stations.

What antenna configuration are you using brcobb?

Quote:
Originally posted by brcobb
WUPV is broadcasting at an extremely low power and their antenna is currently very low (~65 m).

The FCC says they are transmitting at 1000 kW 244 meters off the ground (http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?call=WUPV)... although this is obviously not the case. Does anyone have a contact at WUPV?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page