post #451 of 8857 Old 10-12-2004, 05:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by emonroe726
I agree with you, 16:9. I am not understanding what the purpose is of having a widescreen tv if folks don't want the screen filled up? What am I missing here?

Eric.

I enjoy having my 16:9 filled up by 16:9 programming, I just don't want the picture distorted, stretched and cropped to get there. I paid a lot of money for a tv that is capable of showing more realistic pictures, IMHO the experience is ruined by the distortion of stretching the picture.
Although NBC-DT's stretch is better than most, to me it looks like I'm looking through a severe wide-angle lens, where people's faces are wider than normal and everything is out of proportion. Frankly, it gives me a headache to look at it.
I guess stretch-o-vision looks better or worse depending on your tv and personal preference. Apparently, our local NBC affiliate seems to think they are doing their viewing public a service by distorting the picture in this way, even though CBS, ABC and now Fox disagree. Michael Park has explained that his preference and those of some of the station's brass prefer the stretch. I respect their opinion, but I just strongly disagree. If you look at some of the other channel's non-stretched Digital SD programming, it is an excellent picture, with good color and sharp images. Survivor on CBS is a good example of how good a non-HD show can look.
I think those who want stretch should use their tv's stretch mode, and give the public a choice.
Personally, I watch less NBC because of this issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 8857 Old 10-12-2004, 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Keller
[I guess stretch-o-vision looks better or worse depending on your tv and personal preference. I think those who want stretch should use their tv's stretch mode, and give the public a choice.
Personally, I watch less NBC because of this issue. [/b]

Keller,

I guess I am on both sides here. I suspect MPARK has a Sammy DLP, as do I, and when your input is through DVI, no stretch modes are active. With his box, the HDTIVO, which I also have, if you have the hdmi/DVI output connected, it does not output through componet, so you are kinda stuck with picking one or the other, better picture quality vs. the ability to stretch. I have chosen better picture quality.The ratio control on the Tivo stinks, only thing that looks okay strectched to me is cartoons. ( Simpsons still look good)

That being said, I would think the best option is OAR with the viewer making the choice. As mentioned several times before, I would think burn in is a risk both ways, as there are still black bars either way. I guess my only question is if you stretch the stretch o vision, does it look better than if it was broadcast OAR?
post #453 of 8857 Old 10-12-2004, 07:28 AM

Lets start a petition to get NBC to disable the stretch on their over the air broadcast. Let the viewers decided if they want to stretch it or not. Come on NBC, face the reality that the viewers want to be able to control the picture they receive!
post #454 of 8857 Old 10-12-2004, 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by elroy_1666
UPN is in HD... well they have one show, Star Trek:Enterprise that is HD. For more on UPN HD in Richmond, catch up on this thread from about here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...80#post4451380

I know its HD, but when will it be broadcast in HD here in Richmond?
post #455 of 8857 Old 10-12-2004, 07:32 AM

Problems again on NBC12 last night.

Same problem as last week, MPark? It appeared to be.

Everything looked fine on Sunday night with AD, I recorded CJ.
post #456 of 8857 Old 10-12-2004, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by rod319
Problems again on NBC12 last night.

Same problem as last week, MPark? It appeared to be.

Everything looked fine on Sunday night with AD, I recorded CJ.

This is our third receiver and two of them have the same exact problem. We are doing some testing today and trying to figure out what is going on. Something tells us that there is something else in the mix causing the problem.
BTW, you guys seem want to keep the stretch-o-vision debate going on here. I'm going to stay out of it for now because I have said all there is to say but I will monitor your comments.

Michael Park
Creative Services Manager
WWBT NBC 12
post #457 of 8857 Old 10-12-2004, 08:04 AM

Hey Steve, why not give Dennis a call and see if you can get an update on Fox for the MLB playoffs this week?
post #458 of 8857 Old 10-12-2004, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'll let you know if I hear anything from him today. If I don't just tune in tonight and see what we get. Maybe we'll all be pleasantly surprised.

Regarding stretched vs. not stretched, this is a debate that I think we've beat to death. Everyone has an opinion, and I think both sides have expressed them clearly.

Let's try to limit this thread to discussions of problems/issues regarding Richmond HDTV and not opinions about aspect ratios.

If you want to continue to discuss aspect ratios, I recommend that somebody start another thread!

Steve
post #459 of 8857 Old 10-12-2004, 04:26 PM

Steve , thank you for coming to the rescue, I post previously on this forum that this may cause a raging debate we should leave it.

Again, thank you.
post #460 of 8857 Old 10-13-2004, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

I thought the Yankees/Sox game on Fox-DT last night via OTA looked good for an SD program. Compared to cable, the Digital picture was much sharper and cleaner.
With any luck, we'll be talking about how good their HD presentation was before too long.
post #461 of 8857 Old 10-13-2004, 06:59 AM

Agreed, but disappointed that we're still waiting on HD for one of the biggest sporting events of the year.
post #462 of 8857 Old 10-13-2004, 09:59 AM
ats

Quote:

Originally posted by Mits mania
Hey Steve, why not give Dennis a call and see if you can get an update on Fox for the MLB playoffs this week?

I spoke with Dennis on Friday when he came by my shop to pick up a part for their C/Ku band dish. I questioned him about HD and here is what he had to say.

1 WRLH lost their Chief Engineer last week.

2 They apparently have all the equipment, it's just a matter of getting it installed and setup properly.

3 He has been getting lots of calls regarding HD. I did tell him that if I were a skins fan, I would be calling too.

4 Their are doing the best they can and hope to have HD up as soon as possible.
post #463 of 8857 Old 10-13-2004, 10:12 AM

Maybe they would get fewer calls about HD if they'd stop running the promo ads saying how you can get free HD over the air from Fox.
post #464 of 8857 Old 10-13-2004, 06:07 PM

We have HD on Fox tonight!! Coming in very strong here in Charlottesville. Looks very good.
post #465 of 8857 Old 10-13-2004, 06:15 PM

It's looking great here in Richmond too! I'm so happy they could finally get it up and running. Definitely worth the wait.
post #466 of 8857 Old 10-13-2004, 06:16 PM

yes it was worth the wait. the pregame show looked very good. Signal is rock solid.
post #467 of 8857 Old 10-13-2004, 06:29 PM

HD and 5.1 !!!

Kudos to those at FOX. It took a while, but it looks and sounds great.
post #468 of 8857 Old 10-13-2004, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It sure is a nice surprise. I had suspected that tonights game would be in HD, but I hadn't gotten a confirmation until I turned it on.

Steve
post #469 of 8857 Old 10-14-2004, 06:21 AM

Yes, looked awesome in the west end too! Now I can't wait for Simpsons, Malcom, and Arrested Development in HD??? Right???
post #470 of 8857 Old 10-14-2004, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Simpson's isn't HD,but the others are, I believe.

I watched the whole game last night without a single issue. It is cool that they were able to get everything up glitch free on their first night. Too bad they couldn't have changed the outcome.
post #471 of 8857 Old 10-14-2004, 07:09 AM

I thought the grass was a little "crawly" at times. An issue I've never had with any other HD broadcast.
post #472 of 8857 Old 10-14-2004, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Congrats to my friends at Fox. They looked great last night. Baseball is a sport that is made 10x better watching it in HD.
Regarding NBC12 problems recently, we think we have the problem figured out and are waiting for NBC to authorize a repair on our dish. It looks like the problem is outside the building before the satellite receiver. Unfortunately, it is NBCs equipment not ours. I'll keep you updated.

Michael Park
Creative Services Manager
WWBT NBC 12
post #473 of 8857 Old 10-14-2004, 08:19 AM

Quote:

I thought the grass was a little "crawly" at times. An issue I've never had with any other HD broadcast.

Mits,

Are you one these guys who now " looks for imperfections" instead of watching for enjoyment. Know I am lol.

Thought game looked great last night. On another issue, did anybody notice on Sunday we had two games on CBS at 1.00pm. Pats game on 6, and Colts game on 6.1. Is that allowed. Guess its cool for those without the Ticket, but sure hope they do not do that again. Coudnt get the Pats game in HD because they put it on 6. It was HD on the ticket. Now, if they do that again, please put a non hd game 6, please.
Anybody know the rules around this or was it just their way of getting two games on the air
post #474 of 8857 Old 10-14-2004, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Originally posted by plenzmd1
... did anybody notice on Sunday we had two games on CBS at 1.00pm. Pats game on 6, and Colts game on 6.1. Is that allowed...

No. It happened at WTKR/3 Norfolk too but only for 10 minutes. 3-1 then switched to the Pats/Dolphins game in SD. The game was being broadcast in HD.

Quote:

I thought the grass was a little "crawly" at times...

I saw the same damn thing. Was it because it was breezy at the park making the grass move?

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: editor@VARTV.com
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

post #475 of 8857 Old 10-14-2004, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by plenzmd1 Pats game on 6, and Colts game on 6.1. Is that allowed. Guess its cool for those without the Ticket, but sure hope they do not do that again. Coudnt get the Pats game in HD because they put it on 6. It was HD on the ticket. Now, if they do that again, please put a non hd game 6, please.

I say, please keep it doing this! I saw the Pats-Dolphins game in HD out of DC and Raiders-Colts in HD from Richmond. I get to see/record a bonus HD game every weekend between FOX/CBS regional schedule (6 HD games this week including Sunday and Monday night games).

No Sunday Ticket required, just a good antenna! However, I too would like to know the rule since I thought they were required to simulcast on the digital channel? confused:
post #476 of 8857 Old 10-14-2004, 12:01 PM

My worry is that I record a lot of games, and the info for 6.1 said patriots/fins game, and this is where I directed the tivo to record from. Glad I happened to be in the house at the beginning of the game, and saw the discrepency or else I would have had the Colts game, of which I had no interest, and not the Pats game, which is the one I wanted.

Just curious if CBS will continue to do that.
post #477 of 8857 Old 10-14-2004, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

For those of you waiting for Comcast SportsNet INHD to come here, don't hold your breath. Seeing the Orioles, Wizards, Capitals, and the former Expos in HD won't happen here anytime soon. I got someone from Comcast to give me a straight answer about it...

"The Comcast SportsNet HD signal is fed via fiber to systems in Northern
Virginia and Maryland. We are simply too far away to have fiber
extended to us. There may be a solution down the road, but we will not
be able to offer it in the immediate future."

It looks like we're still pretty backwoods when it comes to getting a regional sports network in HDTV.
post #478 of 8857 Old 10-14-2004, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
From the Hampton Roads OTA Broadcast Engineering Thread...

... (Bill Barber, Chief Engineer WTVZ-TV/DT Norfolk) My assistant engineer, Charles Rouse, who just signed onto the forum a week ago, will be leaving Hampton Roads very shortlly to take the position of Chief Engineer at our Sister Station, WRLH (Fox) in Richmond. Please wish him well!

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: editor@VARTV.com
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

post #479 of 8857 Old 10-14-2004, 03:37 PM

Did anyone see the comments in the sports section of today's Times Dispatch about HDTV, Comcast, Fox and CBS?

Article here

Interest tidbit that I was unware of, although I may have missed it in this thread:

Quote:

"Comcast isn't demanding a fee, but Sinclair, for one, is. WRLH (Fox) just recently became 100 percent, full-power HDTV compatible.

"This station has spent, literally, millions of dollars to do this. Our electric bill is thousands more a month," said Bill Lane, Fox-35 general manager. "You get a cable bill every month, [but] they're not paying us for the investment we've made - they haven't since they've been retransmitting our signal - [and] we think that would be fair."

So if everyone purchased an OTA receiver to pick up FOX, how would that be any different?
post #480 of 8857 Old 10-14-2004, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Brodequin
So if everyone purchased an OTA receiver to pick up FOX, how would that be any different?

It's sad to see FOX35 trying to charge for their free OTA digital signal. Broadcaster's lease public RF spectrum from the FCC. In return, they agree to abide by government rules and earn a profit (hopefully) by selling air-time to the local business community. You're darn right it's expensive building and maintaining analog and digital broadcast facilities, but that's the business they are in so why not take the matter up with the FCC and not punish the local community? Perhaps a better solution would be for broadcasters to figure out better ways of making money with their DTV channels. I would suggest starting with HD News like WRAL-DT in Raleigh, NC.

Personally, I would require all cable and satellite services to provide both the analog and digital locals free of charge to all subscribers.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page